PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a greenhorn in Sussex

Alan
15-02-2008, 14:45
Hi, my name is....ahem.

Fairly new to Hi Fi, even newer to forums. They have however accelerated my education by 10 years or so, so I look forward to scrounging, asking and blatantly ripping off all your collective ideas and experience.
(I have also made 10 years worth of mistakes recently, but I'm getting there):scratch:.
I am pleased to see Richard here, being impressed by his approach and reasoning toward music. Can anyone enlighten me? I used his NVA A70s last week and was moved. Really moved. Then he advised me to try my A40s (which my wife still thinks are for sale!:eyebrows:) as well in a Bi-Amp setup, and I can't really describe what I hear. Why such a difference with 2 tiny amps? Can the speaker crossover really be such a load? My speakers are enormously inefficient (83dB), but such a difference?
I think it is all a black art. What fun, and thank you all.

Yamada 5520 DVDP - Transport only (Temp, Cheap, and suprising)
Beresford 6/3 DAC (Coax),Gotham i/c (temp, cheap)
NVA P50
NVA A70 (gotham again), NVA LS3
NVA A40 (NVA soundpipe),NVA LS1
Royd Revelation RR3

Filterlab
15-02-2008, 14:49
Hi, my name is....ahem.

Fairly new to Hi Fi, even newer to forums. They have however accelerated my education by 10 years or so, so I look forward to scrounging, asking and blatantly ripping off all your collective ideas and experience.
(I have also made 10 years worth of mistakes recently, but I'm getting there):scratch:.

Hi Alan and welcome - scrounge, ask and blatantly rip off away mate, that's what we're here for. :)

Bi-amping is something that works in one situation but not necessarily another, it's about synergy really, but if it works for you then go for it!

Vinyl Grinder
15-02-2008, 17:11
Hi Alan

:)

Alan
23-07-2008, 10:52
Hi, my name is....ahem.

I am pleased to see Richard here, being impressed by his approach and reasoning toward music. Can anyone enlighten me? I used his NVA A70s last week and was moved. Really moved. Then he advised me to try my A40s (which my wife still thinks are for sale!:eyebrows:) as well in a Bi-Amp setup, and I can't really describe what I hear. Why such a difference with 2 tiny amps? Can the speaker crossover really be such a load? My speakers are enormously inefficient (83dB), but such a difference?
I think it is all a black art. What fun, and thank you all.

Arcam Alpha 5+ [Modified by Audioceller]
(NVA soundpipe)
NVA P90
(NVA soundpipe)
NVA A70, NVA LS3
(NVA soundcord) NVA A40 ,NVA LS1
Royd Revelation RR3

Updated to reflect some recent and very effective changes