PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: MC Phonostage

Hozepipe
10-02-2009, 16:54
Thought I'd ask if anyone has a phonostage they want to shift as I'm looking to upgrade from my Audio Research SP9. I'll consider preamps too if they have a good Phono stage fitted. Valve or SS, though if valve it would have to be quiet.

Something along the lines of Trichord or Graham Slee etc, anything considered really if the price is good (nothing stratospheric please).

Let me know!

Mike
10-02-2009, 17:50
I'd strongly recommend this: http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/info_WDPHONO3.html

Or this: http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/info_WDPHONO3S.html

Either will require one of these also: http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/info_WDPSU3.html

They are available ready built or as a kit.

:)

Hozepipe
10-02-2009, 18:00
Thanks Mike - hadn't considered the WAD stuff.

Just noticed that the MC version uses step-up trannies though, which I've never liked the sound of, though only tried two before.

hmmm.

simon

Mike
10-02-2009, 18:03
Where are you?

There could be members close by with one of these who may be able to help out with a demo!

Hozepipe
10-02-2009, 18:31
Good point :) I'm in Newport South Wales.

muffinman
10-02-2009, 18:40
I run a phono3s (not for sale:)) after previously using a dino+
it's better than the dino and the step ups do the job very well with no hum (when playing music).
However, i buy WD because i enjoy the building process so was happy to pay the £550 or so. if you just want a fit and forget stage then there are probably loads out there that would suit you in that price range.
In short - the WD is great, but i have'nt heard a single other valve stage in my entire life:confused:

Hozepipe
10-02-2009, 20:40
Yes, fit but not necessarily forget ;)

The two step-ups I used before hummed so that's a plus for the WAD, but I just didn't like the way the transformers also seemed to strangle the life and dynamics out of the music.

Prince of Darkness
11-02-2009, 10:58
I just didn't like the way the transformers also seemed to strangle the life and dynamics out of the music.

Sounds like an impedance mismatch.

Hozepipe
11-02-2009, 14:13
Could well have been Kevin. I'm not writing off a step-up completely just a bit jaded from past experience. Is the impedance mismatch between the cart and the step-up or the step-up and the pre?

Hozepipe
11-02-2009, 14:43
Does anyone rate the EAR 834P (which uses SUTs for MC like the WAD)? I have an offer of one for £500.

Prince of Darkness
11-02-2009, 14:55
Could well have been Kevin. I'm not writing off a step-up completely just a bit jaded from past experience. Is the impedance mismatch between the cart and the step-up or the step-up and the pre?

Not the easiest one to answer:scratch:, normally the transformer and the phono stage combine to provide the load impedance for the cartridge. Unlike MM cartridges which are standardised to require a 47K ohm load, MC cartridges all require different loads (owners often disagree about what the ideal load for a given cartridge is). The usual solution is to adjust the input impedance of the phono stage, either through switches or by trying different resistors. Alternatively, you can set the phono stage input impedence very high, by either substituting a high value (e.g. 1 Meg) or removing it completely, and placing a resistor of the required value across the primary of the transformer. I prefer the latter method, though not everyone agrees.;)

Mike
11-02-2009, 15:04
I prefer the latter method, though not everyone agrees.;)

I do... makes the maths much easier too! :)

Hozepipe
11-02-2009, 17:38
Maths AND soldering?!

Hozepipe
11-02-2009, 18:16
Anyone heard a Heed Audio QUESTAR phonostage?

simon

Dave Cawley
11-02-2009, 19:04
The Heed doesn't measure or sound well. Ask me off line why? I know I'm biased but Alex's phono stage here http://www.soundhifi.com/phonostage.html#ant is so cool. The MC Ltd has ousted my Whest PS.30R. We hope at Bristol that Hi Fi World will have reviewed it and come to a similar conclusion! The SE is up there too and outruns the Whest Two too!

Regards

Dave

Marco
11-02-2009, 20:51
Hi Simon,

I can't comment on the Heed, as I haven't heard it, but I would concur with Dave on the A.N.T Audio stage. It's a fabulous little thing and punches well above its weight - considerably well above, in fact!

Everyone knows I'm into valves, but if I were to invest in an affordable solid-state phono stage Alex's one would be at the top of my list :)

Marco.

Primalsea
11-02-2009, 21:01
The SP8 and so I guess the SP9 already has a very good phono stage. Just because its in the pre amp dont write it off unless you're sure what you replace it with is definately better.

I think you will really be hard pushed to find something better than what you have. Get it re-valved give the inards a clean I bet it will really sing.

pentode10
11-02-2009, 21:54
There's a nice Croft one on ebay just now..
It aint a looker but I bet it'll sound good..

Andy.

Hozepipe
12-02-2009, 08:31
Marco, Dave: thanks for the recommendation of the ANT, I have looked at it before but not in much detail. Dave I may give you a call to discuss things...

Hozepipe
12-02-2009, 08:35
Paul: the SP8 and SP9 are very different, the 8 is all valve (based on the SP10 I think) while the 9 is a hybrid. I've tried different valves (there is only one in the Phono section) but the difference is minimal. I was thinking of an SP11 until an engineer whose advice I have no reason to doubt told me the ARC phono stages are not that great.

Andy: I saw that Croft, it's immaculate, museum grade nick! But its only an amp, there's no RIAA. But I'm going to keep my eye on it because I could use it with a good MM stage perhaps...

Marco
12-02-2009, 11:44
Could someone post a link to this Croft, please? :)

Simon, do give Dave a call regarding the A.N.T Audio unit - if you get a chance to listen to it I promise you'll be shocked and stunned!

Marco.

Hozepipe
13-02-2009, 12:01
Croft Micro... (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Croft-Micro-Moving-Coil-Valve-Head-Amp_W0QQitemZ280311548738QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Aud ioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=item 280311548738&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318#ht_540wt_909)

If the Paul Hynes falls through I will most probably be auditioning the ANT... maybe I should anyway while I'm doing a Phonostage upgrade. Would be interesting to compare the two though would mean shelling out a bit up front.

Hozepipe
13-02-2009, 12:31
BTW Marco, there's also this croft pre (inc phono) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Croft-Valve-Mega-Pre-Amp-and-Power-supply_W0QQitemZ330306878793QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=i tem330306878793&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#h t_500wt_924) on the 'bay too.

Never heard croft kit myself but am I right in thinking you rate Croft stuff highly?

The Grand Wazoo
14-02-2009, 20:46
Paul: the SP8 and SP9 are very different, the 8 is all valve (based on the SP10 I think) while the 9 is a hybrid. I've tried different valves (there is only one in the Phono section) but the difference is minimal. I was thinking of an SP11 until an engineer whose advice I have no reason to doubt told me the ARC phono stages are not that great.

I think your engineer friends advice was a little extreme. Some ARC phono stages are a bit below par but others are almost peerless. Your SP9 is a cut down version of the 11, neither of which I thought were anything like as good as their reputations would suggest.

However, the SP8 & SP10 phono stages are magnificent!! The 10 was actually a refinement of the 8 rather than the other way round. I know someone who has an SP8 & had a problem with too little gain for his MC, so he bought an SP11. I told him he would prefer the phono stage of the SP8 & I was right - he sold the 11 within weeks!!

I used to use an LFD MC1 for a while into one of the line inputs of my SP8 & it was great, but I after a few years I went back to step ups - the story is here if you're interested.....

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8985#post8985

I still have the LFD.............wasn't thinking of selling, but might consider a reasonable offer.........!!

Hozepipe
14-02-2009, 22:01
I've heard from others that the SP8 is supposed to be very good and a great match with my D70 amp - love to have an SP10 but there's just too many valves and it's supposed to be very hard on them too. I've heard mixed things about the SP9, it's not bad at all but I know I can do better. I'd really like to hear an SP8 but I rarely see them advertised for sale in the UK.