PDA

View Full Version : Spotify...An instant digital jukebox

SteveW
09-02-2009, 18:03
Has anyone tried Spotify yet?
Sadly it doesn't seem to want to work in the USA, but fine here in the UK.

Looks like itunes, but steams instant complete songs/albums/playlists at about 160k.
OK, not great quality, but astonishing breadth of choice. Basically download software (its by invitation...see below)
They will probably put more adverts in to try and encourage subscriptions as time goes on..
I'm using it via Airfoil to send music round the house, and there are often huge numbers of songs on playlists.
I'm addicted

https://www.spotify.com/en/

tfarney
12-02-2009, 02:11
I'm not sure I understand what this does that isn't available free through internet radio?

Tim

SteveW
12-02-2009, 07:29
Hi Tim
My mate in Florida has sadly discovered that this doesn't work in the States.

Basically with Spotify you can search for an artist or band and up will come a playlist.
Often of virtually every popular track...click on whatever track you want and it plays instantly. It streams at 160k.
No downloading to your hard drive.

So...I've had it streaming from my imac to Stan's 7510 DAC's in the main systam and in my kitchen system for hours at a time.

Word Magazine have even come up with their own reader playlist...a great way to listen to new music.

SteveW
12-02-2009, 07:44
This is what it looks like..Click on the first or any track and it starts playing them in sequence.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/Stevewaller/Picture1-1.png

Starburst
05-03-2009, 08:36
It's no longer invite only. Yes, it's brilliant. Some obscure searches result in hits for artist. It does LastFM scrobbling. Really nice.

Class
05-03-2009, 09:12
It's a great service! The sound quality isn't that good but it's a fantastic way to discover new music and re-discover old :)

SamJones
05-03-2009, 23:34
Not bad at all. It also installs and runs perfectly on Ubuntu (with wine).

mwahahaha
07-03-2009, 18:18
This is fantastic- where's the catch? Surely the record companies can't be too happy?

Class
08-03-2009, 06:23
This is fantastic- where's the catch? Surely the record companies can't be too happy?

No catch. Spotify (http://www.spotify.com/en/help/faq/#what-is-spotify) has made deals with the record companies :)

edit: Just to clarify, you listen to the music through Spotify, you don't download it.

SteveW
08-03-2009, 07:27
Whilst driving this week, I caught a Radio 4 program about George harrison and found out that he had produced an album by Ravi Shankar called Chants of India. I have it somewhere...but misplaced it.
So quick search on Spotify and there it is, playing instantly on to my main system via Airfoil into an Airport express from the Mac.
The sound is quite acceptable also (through Standac 7510/6/4 :) )
After this had finished I then I was in the mood for some laid back stuff...so searched for Windham Hill...a huge playlist popped up and was on for the rest of the afternoon.
I've read that they are adding vast amounts of music every week...the record companies accepting that if you can't beat 'em...join 'em.

freddiecas
09-03-2009, 10:20
thanks for the thread and the heads up :), tried it and love it. Finding little known tracks from favourite artists is a real boost. The range is far better than last fm which I like too.

mwahahaha
09-03-2009, 10:21
I think it's brilliant, thanks so much for the heads-up. I don't think it'll last however!!

Beechwoods
09-03-2009, 21:26
Wow. I'm just trying Spotify and the range of music is impressive. Sound is a bit strident, though it uses a decent codec at a decent bit rate (Ogg Vorbis q5 - 160kbps) - far better than many streaming audio offerings. It's the choice that's the amazing thing though.

My random first 5...

359 tracks by Bill Frisell
76 by Soft Machine
54 by Ryoji Ikeda
18 by Bolt Thrower
101 by Steve Reich

There are some pretty obscure albums and singles on there as well.

Great for checking an artist our prior to buying their stuff properly.

Seems too good to be true :confused:

Labarum
10-03-2009, 00:06
How much classical music can be found on Spotify?

Beechwoods
10-03-2009, 05:25
Apart from Steve Reich? Stacks. 9000+ tracks associated with 'Beethoven', 4900+ Schubert, 105 Benjamin Britten, 4000+ Simon Rattle... enough to keep you entertained I guess!

There's even my favourite Pipe Organ performer Jennifer Bate. Seems pretty eclectic.

SteveW
14-03-2009, 12:23
http://www.spotify.com/blog/

What is amazing is how the Swedish owners have been the first out of the block to persuade the major record labels that legal torrent files are the way to go. I'm hoping that Spotify will see off the usual suspects (even if I have been guilty myself :o ) Its great to access this monumental library without feeling guilty.

Check out the blog above ...Benny from Abba has contributed his own playlist !! Love the version of Dancing Queen by Frank Turner.

Now then...the 160k stream sounds pretty good through a 7510...now what will it be like through the 7520 ? ;)

StanleyB
14-03-2009, 13:56
Now then...the 160k stream sounds pretty good through a 7510...now what will it be like through the 7520 ? ;)
Someone with a DAC1 USB told me that his Benchmark is up for sale...

Stan

trailer
14-03-2009, 16:15
Another thanks for this.

It also integrates with Airfoil for streaming via an AE/Atv.

Alex_UK
01-09-2009, 15:01
Having seen my credit card bill this month will all my Amazon & HMV purchases, I am now seriously considering the Premium account with Spotify - £9.99 a month and you get no adverts, but also the sound quality is improved with "up to" 320 kbps - has anyone gone for the Premium option yet, and what do you think of it if you have? You can have a "day pass" for 99p, so I'll try that when I have a day at home next, the 160 kbps stream is pretty impressive anyway through the Caiman.

Labarum
01-09-2009, 15:50
Have I read wrong? 320Kb/s is only available on long term Spotify subscription, not at the daily rate.

Alex_UK
01-09-2009, 16:35
Sorry Brian, looks like I got it wrong - day pass just deletes the Ads. The Premium subscription has no fixed term though, so guess I could try a month and see.

Labarum
01-09-2009, 16:44
Sorry Brian, looks like I got it wrong - day pass just deletes the Ads. The Premium subscription has no fixed term though, so guess I could try a month and see.

I thought it a bit mean, not to give the higher bitrate on the day-pass.

I am still evaluating Spotify. I don't think the quality is as good as my hibit internet radio stations streamed with my Squeezebox. 160 OGG ought to be better that Swiss Radio Classic - 128 MP3, but I don't think it is.

I have formed the same opinion listening using
1. DSBridge and the Squeezebox with coax S/PDOF to Caiman
2 Shuttle XP PC with optical S/PDIF or USB connection to the Caiman.

I too must try it for a month at 320 OGG.

I am really waiting for an official Logitech solution to Spotify on the Squeezebox.

DaveK
01-09-2009, 16:49
Hi Guys,
If this is a naughty question to ask on an open forum I apologise in advance but ...
Is it possible to download (as in keep a permanent copy on the hard drive) of Spotify files and, if so, can some one let me in to how, please?
Cheers,

Labarum
01-09-2009, 17:13
I believe Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ has the ability to capture the audio stream and save it to hard drive.

The progam cannot determine whether it is lawful in any set of circumstances to do that. Only the user can make such a judgement.

DaveK
01-09-2009, 17:35
Hmmm, interesting that, Brian, thanks.
Not that I would myself or indeed, recommend anybody else to do it but, if one was so minded, and one was prepared to break the law, one could get organised and decide in advance a list of tracks one would love to own, one could pay for the premium service for one month, dowload one's list and bail out, couldn't one?
But one shouldn't, should one?
Cheers,

The Grand Wazoo
01-09-2009, 18:20
Hmmm, interesting that, Brian, thanks.
Not that I would myself or indeed, recommend anybody else to do it but, if one was so minded, and one was prepared to break the law, one could get organised and decide in advance a list of tracks one would love to own, one could pay for the premium service for one month, dowload one's list and bail out, couldn't one?
But one shouldn't, should one?
Cheers,

Yes Dave,
That is exactly what a hypothetical person could do if they accidentally found themselves in such an imaginary situation...........I would suppose.

SteveW
01-09-2009, 18:26
Also Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro..
If it were legal of course.
What?
It slipped into me 'and officer.

Beechwoods
01-09-2009, 18:29
Spotify is great, but it's only lossily-compressed music at the end of the day - if you wanted to keep a copy because you liked something a lot, wouldn't you want to have a 'proper' copy rather than one that had been quality-reduced to allow reliable streaming?

One of the great things about Spotify is that as long as you have an internet connection the tunes are always there to enjoy - so there's no need to save a copy anyway :)

Alex_UK
01-09-2009, 19:15
One of the great things about Spotify is that as long as you have an internet connection the tunes are always there to enjoy - so there's no need to save a copy anyway :)

Exactly my point, Nick, as I've already got so much music on CD or LP (or on HDD) there will be stuff I will never play again that I own, and my tastes have evolved. Pay a tenner a month, for Spotify and it doesn't matter (when I tell you that my Credit Card bill was £470 last month, and apart from £50 for a new driver for my speaker the remainder was all on CDs you can probably see why I am seriously contemplating it!) Before the Caiman I would never have considered it, but I reckon 320 kbps Spotify vs CD will be so close my cloth ears won't be able to really tell the difference, and if there is something I totally fall in love with I can still buy it on CD/LP - plus I've still got 2,100 CD Albums and about 600 LPs (and another several hundred 7" & 12" singles and CD singles) which won't be going anywhere...

Just to add, for me personally, I would never (have never) "pirated" music, films or software - a whole different topic, but I believe it is theft so to do, and I would no more download an album off Limewire than I would stick it up my jumper in a record shop...

Alex_UK
03-09-2009, 13:32
Well I've subscribed, and was busy listening to the higher bit-ratr versions of some Jeff Buckley when the postie delivered Mike Homar's new cable, so I'm stuck back on CDs now...

One thing I have now realised though is that there are a LOT more artists missing than I realised - 3/4 of this forum probably wouldn't sign up on principal - NO Beatles, NO Pink Floyd, NO Led Zepp, NO AC/DC, NO Metallica - Spotify are not alone in not being able to host these acts, I understand, but there is quite a big hole.

Labarum
03-09-2009, 13:39
How does 320Kb/s compare to FLAC on a highly resolution replay system?

Alex_UK
03-09-2009, 14:03
Not yet tried any direct comparisons yet, plus I haven't ever used FLAC - I usually only ever use the Soundbridge for background music, so have been happy to just use the AAC files from itunes - at the moment, I still play the CD version for proper listening, but part of the reason for building a music client laptop and getting the Caiman is to explore lossless streaming. I'm sure I can knock some samples up in different formats and do some comparisons but not just at the moment -my new digital coax from Mike Homar has me tranfixed to CD replay at the moment...

trailer
07-09-2009, 06:28
The Spotify iPhone app is now available. (Premium account required to use it though).

webby
11-12-2009, 13:54
Check out SpotifyCollection (http://www.spotifycollection.com/) for a visual library solution.

Here's mine (http://www.spotifycollection.com/webby)

twelvebears
11-12-2009, 15:26
Mac users might want to try checking out the PLEX media centre software (it's free) and it has a fully integrated Spotify app.

Does need a premium account thought.

Themis
11-12-2009, 16:54
How does 320Kb/s compare to FLAC on a highly resolution replay system?
It's not bad at all. But best to use 400VBR AAC. ;)
Hi-rez AAC is almost indistinguishable.

Alex_UK
29-12-2009, 18:01
If anyone needs to sign up to try Spotify for free, I understand from a member on here that you currently need an invitation from a Premium Spotify member - I subscribe to Spotify and have a small number of invites available - PM me and if I can assist I will (although for obvious reasons this is only for established AoS members, please don't join the forum just for a Spotify token - join the forum, get involved, then ask me in a couple of weeks! ;))

Jonboy
29-12-2009, 18:45
Does anyone know how to connect spotify to my Airport using a wireless dongle on my laptop, i already do this with Itunes as there is an option to output to another device, i have got a Caiman but don't really want leads trailing across the floor

Themis
29-12-2009, 20:17
If anyone needs to sign up to try Spotify for free, I understand from a member on here that you currently need an invitation from a Premium Spotify member - I subscribe to Spotify and have a small number of invites available - PM me and if I can assist I will (although for obvious reasons this is only for established AoS members, please don't join the forum just for a Spotify token - join the forum, get involved, then ask me in a couple of weeks! ;))
I would like one, if you still have. ;)
I enrolled for an invitation but I have no news from them for about 2 weeks...

Alex_UK
29-12-2009, 22:48

No probs matey - PM me your email address.

webby
29-12-2009, 23:34
Does anyone know how to connect spotify to my Airport using a wireless dongle on my laptop, i already do this with Itunes as there is an option to output to another device, i have got a Caiman but don't really want leads trailing across the floor

You need Airfoil. Google it.

webby
29-12-2009, 23:41
btw, I found a link that gets you straight to the Spotify account setup page;

https://www.spotify.com/en/get-started/

I don't see any problem with using it.

Rare Bird
30-12-2009, 18:53

Alex can i just thank you mate.Really handy for my disabled mate, he can access toones on here with special mouse..I registered it at home this morning & had a quick look, nothing rare but an amazing amount of free moosik in good sound on there.

Alex_UK
30-12-2009, 20:12
My pleasure!

Themis
30-12-2009, 20:49
Thank you so much, Alex. <3

Spotify is a great place for people like me who buy digital music on the Internet : it allows to listen well before buying. ;)

Jonboy
30-12-2009, 21:12
Thank again Alex, just got to sort out my 2nd wifi on my laptop and i will be able to hopefully send spotify to my amp, i starting to hate Vista hopefully when Windows 7 arrives it will be simular to XP:(

Themis
30-12-2009, 21:59
Windows 7 arrives it will be simular to XP:(
I have Win7 on 3PCs : as good as XP (but I avoided Vista)

Rare Bird
30-12-2009, 22:00
Thank again Alex, just got to sort out my 2nd wifi on my laptop and i will be able to hopefully send spotify to my amp, i starting to hate Vista hopefully when Windows 7 arrives it will be simular to XP:(

I took 'Vista' off my new pooter within a day, i hated it, put 'XP' on it...Don't think i'll be entertaining 'W7' somehow..

Jonboy
30-12-2009, 22:11
We tried to take Vista off my now defunct laptop, but because it was preloaded there was something in the bios to stop you loading XP

Themis
30-12-2009, 22:23
You need an OEM XP version to install over Vista. ;)

Rare Bird
30-12-2009, 22:29
You need an OEM XP version to install over Vista. ;)

I just paid 40 quid to a bloke i know ;)

Jonboy
30-12-2009, 22:32
Thanks Dimitri, i will give Windows 7 a go then make a decision

Themis
30-12-2009, 22:37
I just paid 40 quid to a bloke i know ;)
lol, I do it for a beer ! :)
(or two)