PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 59: 18.09.2012 - Nanci Griffith - Storms (1989)

Audioman
18-09-2012, 09:40
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415X7VBSR4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's about time we had something country flavoured in Album Club (last one was the Civil Wars album I think). I am not a huge country fan but do like some crossover artists especialy Nanci Griffith. This was one of her more mainstream (commercial) efforts but in a good way. Can't lump this one in with today's country/pop music.

Produced by the great Glyn Johns, this album is full of excellent songs beautifully arranged. It is not purist country and should appeal to lovers of singer songwriter and soft rock genres. An excellent recording which is readily available on CD and used vinyl. I have the 180g Alto reissue from the late 90's which sounds even better.

Standout tracks. - Storms, Listen To the Radio, Drive In Movies and Dashboard Lights, Radio Fragile. This is an overlooked classic. All tracks except Storms are written by the artist or co written with James Hooker of backing band The Blue Moon Orchestra. Features ex Eagle Bernie Leadon (Listen To The Radio) and Phil Everly (You Made This Love A Teardrop).

spotify:album:4jAfuW1T6MFzsqXFwjOa20

CD - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storms-Nanci-Griffith/dp/B000026E5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347958419&sr=8-1

Used vinyl - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Records-/176985/i.html?_nkw=nanci+griffith+storms

keiths
18-09-2012, 18:31
A nice easy one for me this as I already have a CD copy of this. I've not played it (or any Nanci Griffith for that matter) for a while, so I've just given it a play. I rather like her voice which is distinctive, but find much of her stuff a bit 'middle of the road' - I prefer my country to be a bit more "country" than this to be honest, but there are some good songs here and enjoyed hearing them again. 7/10

Tim
19-09-2012, 11:31
I really like Nanci Griffith, especially her voice, but not this album unfortunately. My favourite Nanci Griffith album is The Last Of The True Believers very closely followed by Other Voices, Other Rooms in fact its often a toss up between the two, but probably The Last Of The True Believers as its mostly her own work as opposed to covers like Other Voices and the album I play the most.

I can only give it a 4 as its far too pop and commercial for my tastes, like Kieth if its going to be country, it has to sound like country, but my real love is Americana or more modern alt country.

Nice to see something a little different though ;)

Audioman
19-09-2012, 20:01
I really like Nanci Griffith, especially her voice, but not this album unfortunately. My favourite Nanci Griffith album is The Last Of The True Believers very closely followed by Other Voices, Other Rooms in fact its often a toss up between the two, but probably The Last Of The True Believers as its mostly her own work as opposed to covers like Other Voices and the album I play the most.

I can only give it a 4 as its far too pop and commercial for my tastes, like Kieth if its going to be country, it has to sound like country, but my real love is Americana or more modern alt country.

Nice to see something a little different though ;)

I did consider picking 'Last Of The True Believers' but thought it may be too country for tastes here. Also Storms is a better recording and being produced by my all time favourite producer swung it. As for 'pop' Storms is hardly Shania Twain is it ? Also considered 'Car Wheels On A Gravel Road' (Lucinda Williams) which I'm sure would have been more to your taste.

Tim
19-09-2012, 20:10
'Car Wheels On A Gravel Road' (Lucinda Williams)
:eyebrows:

Country is a brave choice round these parts pardner, but you never know, we may convert a few ;)
It's tough trying to pick something outside the box, I have changed my next choice 5 times now!

John
20-09-2012, 07:55
Think it is good to sometimes pick music outside the box, yet my appeal to members
I am not the greatest country fan and it sounds very MOR so think I will struggle with this one, but I give it ago at the weekend

RichB
28-09-2012, 09:26
7 out of ten from me. Very nice and a great bit of country without all the western that normally turns me off. Theres some nice wordplay in the lyrics and she has a nice soft spoken voice. This will definately get another spin in our house, probably on a sunday morning with the papers and some good coffee!

Mrs B commented it was 'nice' so it must be ok. If I came across it on my trawls through the world of second hand shiny discs then yes I'd buy it.

MartinT
07-11-2012, 13:04
I meant to add that Lone Star State of Mind is my favourite Griffith album. Worth tracking down.