PDA

View Full Version : NVA... Nene Valley Audio

Haselsh1
07-02-2009, 15:26
Does anyone have any feedback on NVA...??? I've been thinking of buying an NVA P50sa passive preamp to use with my Samson Servo 600 but I seem to be getting on with the amplifiers inbuilt gain controls just nicely. Is there really any point of spending two hundred and sixty quid on a glorified switching box...? The advantage of the NVA is that it has three sets of outputs and I was thinking of bi-amping a new set of speakers with a Servo 300 for tweeter duties. Back to where I started from... any feedback anyone...???

Primalsea
08-02-2009, 14:26
You have to be aware of the potential pitfalls of a potentiometer based passive preamp. Some people claim that due to the capacitance of interconnects the passive forms a lowpass filters that cuts high frequencies. While this is true you have to do something very severe for it to have an effect that is bad technically. It will be a matter of taste whether you like the effect of the roll down that is'nt likely to start until about 30Khz. Note that the Servo amps you mention have a rolled down treble anyway.

What is bad technically is the phase error that will be caused. This will start at about 1Khz and could well be bad soundwise. However you never know until you try.

Alan
09-02-2009, 12:08
You really do need to use low capacitance i/cs, but NVA sell those anyway. You'll have no problems with quality, and their customer service is straight out of Roy Allisons book (ie - none better). You do know there is a money back guarantee on the products for a month? (Assuming you're buying new)

The SA version is a stepped attenuator version, dale vishay resistors iirc but the twin pot versions (P90 & P90sa) are streets ahead sonically, though inconvenient to live with wrt adjusting & matching two pots.

BTW, passive Bi-Amping blew my socks off, I've not found them yet.......

jandl100
10-02-2009, 07:38
I've owned NVA kit (various cables, passive pre-amps and the A80 monoblocks). Excellent kit, excellent service. And of course, a genuine "refund if you aren't happy" offer. And an unbeatable 'upgrade' scheme.

I'd award NVA (Richard Dunn) 10/10 as an honest, no nonsense hifi dealer.

Peter Stockwell
10-02-2009, 07:54

That would get him going - "hifi dealer".;)

icehockeyboy
04-06-2013, 13:54
I've owned NVA kit (various cables, passive pre-amps and the A80 monoblocks). Excellent kit, excellent service. And of course, a genuine "refund if you aren't happy" offer. And an unbeatable 'upgrade' scheme.

Couldn't resist reposting this!

Sorry Jerry!
How times change eh?

Marco
04-06-2013, 14:08
Mmmm... Craig, does this thread resurrection have any constructive purpose? Because, if it's simply to have a dig at you-know-who and his forum, it'll be getting locked quicker than you can say 'shove a puck up my pecker, ice-boy!' ;)

Marco.

icehockeyboy
04-06-2013, 14:16
Mmmm... Craig, does this thread resurrection have any constructive purpose? Because, if it's simply to have a dig at you-know-who and his forum, it'll be getting locked quicker than you can say 'shove a puck up my pecker, ice-boy!' ;)

Marco.

NO!

Perish the thought!

I just found it amusing what Jerry had written a few years ago!

I was just Googling NVA to see if I could get my SC's upgraded with some new plugs anonymously and came across it.

Feel free to remove it if it doesn't make you smile as it did me.

istari_knight
04-06-2013, 14:18
Couldn't resist reposting this!

Sorry Jerry!
How times change eh?

icehockeyboy
04-06-2013, 14:22

Hey!

I have the utmost respect for Jerry! In fact I sought his advice earlier over the matter I mentioned above.

If its going to be misconstrued, mods please remove the whole thread.

Marco
04-06-2013, 14:35
S'ok, Craig, I get where you're coming from. However, unless anyone has anything constructive to add of a hi-fi nature, I think we should let the thread die a natural death.

Marco.

icehockeyboy
04-06-2013, 14:38
In all honesty Marco, just in case people think I'm having a dig at either Jerry, or indeed that other bloke, I'd prefer it if you removed it please.

As I said, it just amused me, but if it can be misconstrued, well, I'd rather it disappear.

Marco
04-06-2013, 14:40
I can remove your latest posts here, and those following it, if you wish, but not the whole thread.

Marco.

icehockeyboy
04-06-2013, 14:41
I can remove your latest posts here, and those following it, if you wish, but not the whole thread.

Marco.

May as well leave it then Marco, and then at least folk can read my sentiments about it.

Marco
04-06-2013, 14:45
Okies... However (and this applies to everyone), further contributions to this thread will be strictly moderated.

Marco.

synsei
04-06-2013, 16:54
There are members on AoS and elsewhere on t'internet who are very happy with the NVA kit they own, and that is as it should be :)

Marco
04-06-2013, 16:59
Indeed so... Normal NVA hi-fi-related threads will receive no moderation and be left alone to evolve naturally, unless there is a serious reason why that can't be so (someone blatantly flouting our ethos, for example, or trolling, and where moderation of that individual's behaviour is therefore required), whereas posts and/or threads relating to discussing someone who has fallen out with RD and/or his forum, will be subject to appropriate moderation and most likely removed.

Simples! :)

Marco.

Audioman
04-06-2013, 19:26
NO!

Perish the thought!

I just found it amusing what Jerry had written a few years ago!

I was just Googling NVA to see if I could get my SC's upgraded with some new plugs anonymously and came across it.

Feel free to remove it if it doesn't make you smile as it did me.

Not to worry - RD says he will upgrade your plugs. No need to go incognito.

I would still do them, just address them back to the thick tit!

LOL.

Marco
04-06-2013, 19:31
Ahem, Paul, I'm not sure that particular contribution could be construed as constructive, particularly given how Craig is likely to react... Could we please keep it to comments relating to the original thread topic, or NVA in some way, without the content being provocative? Otherwise, the 'rubber' will have to come out. Ta!

wiicrackpot
05-06-2013, 07:59
Otherwise, the 'rubber' will have to come out. Ta! :eek:
Actions of a pair of poofs in a gay meet, BendOver (Ben Dover) and FillMyCavity (Phil McCafferty). :sofa:

thought i'd end this thread with an attempt at humour......''i'm a little teapot, na..na..nay'' as the song says. :whistle:

jandl100
05-06-2013, 08:02
Well, it's about time someone ended this thread.
Craig! - what were you thinking of?! :doh: :lol:

Marco
05-06-2013, 08:07
Lol! And on that note, it's time to get the keys out...

Marco.