PDA

View Full Version : We've turned into a nation of wussies!

Beechwoods
05-02-2009, 07:10
It's snowed overnight and the nation decides it's too difficult to get into work again. Schools close and parents have to take time off again to look after their kids. Councils figure that stopping public transport is more cost-effective than gritting the roads properly...

What a joke! You'd have thought that slap bang in the middle of a recession those people with jobs would be keen to make a bloody effort and get to work in some small attempt to show willing...

So much for the Dunkirk spirit. I'll be walking into work (40 minutes on a good day :) ... be interesting to see how many sliding cars I have to dodge on the way in)

anthonyTD
05-02-2009, 11:24
It's snowed overnight and the nation decides it's too difficult to get into work again. Schools close and parents have to take time off again to look after their kids. Councils figure that stopping public transport is more cost-effective than gritting the roads properly...

What a joke! You'd have thought that slap bang in the middle of a recession those people with jobs would be keen to make a bloody effort and get to work in some small attempt to show willing...

So much for the Dunkirk spirit. I'll be walking into work (40 minutes on a good day :) ... be interesting to see how many sliding cars I have to dodge on the way in)
hi beechy,
i was thinking the same thing myself, [here we go] when i was a lad, i only had motor cycles and i would be out on those in all weathers, and when i was in school, if the school bus didnt turn up, then i would have to walk a few miles to school, there was no point in going home.
if the 4 x 4 crue cant get their chelsea tractors out side the school, then thats it,major disaster, i bet they wouldnt even know how to put them in four wheel drive, or diff lock if it came to it!!!
makes my blood boil!!!
there, now i'll just be off to work now, shall i take me slippers off.i think i'll leave em on today...
:lolsign:

Filterlab
05-02-2009, 13:04
Same here. I had no problem driving anywhere on Monday or Tuesday - ok I had to drive a bit slower with a little more care than usual, but I certainly went to work. The problem is with the litigation culture - people suing others for this and that, the insurance companies raking in the cash from higher premiums and nervous employers not wanting to be sued by their employees etc etc.

It's a load of crap and people (and the media) are pathetic these days. How would Britain fair if there was another war? I wouldn't know, because I'll be defecting to Germany where things are organised properly. :lol:

alb
05-02-2009, 20:09
When i were a lad. My dad strapped a plank of wood to each of his boots, and set off over 4 foot snow drifts on the mile and a half trip to the railway station.
Three hours later he was back. No trains running.

I suppose it was unlikely that they would run, but he got full marks for effort.

Filterlab
05-02-2009, 20:14
When i were a lad. My dad strapped a plank of wood to each of his boots, and set off over 4 foot snow drifts on the mile and a half trip to the railway station.

Now that's a British man and proud of it! No backbone in people anymore.

Peter Stockwell
09-02-2009, 11:52
I drive 35kms to work, it doesn't normally snow where I live. I would think twice about setting off in a snow storm if there was no absolute necessity to do so.

Marco
09-02-2009, 13:07
To get to work, I usually manage to avoid any snow during the long and arduous journey from my bed to the chair in the lounge where my laptop awaits along with, in these cold days, a roaring log fire and a nice warming Cappuccino... :eyebrows:

:ner:

Marco.

P.S Although sometimes I really do have to 'rough it' and venture outside to my workshop - what a long haul it is to the garden... ;)

It's the 'traffic jams' on 'the way home' (usually the cats getting in the way from the lounge to the kitchen) I can't stand, though! :lol:

StanleyB
09-02-2009, 17:50
To get to work, I usually manage to avoid any snow during the long and arduous journey from my bed to the chair in the lounge where my laptop awaits along with, in these cold days, a roaring log fire and a nice warming Cappuccino... :eyebrows:
That's a nice distance. Where do you get your logs from?

leorbk
09-02-2009, 17:55
On another forum that I use, some of the kids were so happy to get a day off school... one of them says... "I walked 6 miles to my friends house to build a snowman".
LOL, kids today!! If they can walk 6 miles through the snow to their friends house, they can walk to school too!!

DSJR
09-02-2009, 19:23
It's health and safety issues where schools are concerned, coupled with the "Compensation Culture." if little Joey falls over in the playground because it hasn't been salted then the school could be prosecuted for negligence. Closure would only have happened in my 1960's schooldays if the heating had failed and even then, we had coats and wellies......

Beechwoods
09-02-2009, 19:41
That's a nice distance. Where do you get your logs from?

The local garage ;) :lol:

Marco
09-02-2009, 22:07
We have them delivered, actually - wot, you think I go out and chop down trees? :eyebrows:

Marco.