PDA

View Full Version : R U Cold?

StanleyB
02-02-2009, 10:56
I am freezing! But at least I have had a few laughs at the expense of one of my neighbours. They parked their car right in a bend that is also withn the arc of anyone who bangs their foot on the break. All morning other cars have been running into the neighbour's car as they skid out of control. I wonder what the insurance company is going to say. Nobody has stopped so far and the neighbour must be asleep still. Otherwise he would be out there cursing.

Stan

Filterlab
02-02-2009, 11:27
It's chilly here (outside anyway) and there's some great snow laying plus lots more falling. It's quite rare to see snowfall in Surrey so I've grabbed a few shots, I happen to be off work today as it's Esther's birthday today.

The Grand Wazoo
02-02-2009, 11:39
Hhmmmm........I've just nipped up the road to take my car for it's MOT & saw plenty of 'interesting' manouvres!! One particular guy spent 15 minutes polishing the road surface at the summit of the tiniest rise with his Saab's tyres. He stopped for a bit and the 12 cars queued up behind him drove gently past.

I got to the garage & set off walking home & he was still there, bouncing off the left hand kerb, slowly burnishing the ice across the road till he hit the right hand kerb, and then back again..........a new queue of cars sat behind him.

I'm not really looking forward to the trip over the Penines that I've got to do later today, though

Filterlab
02-02-2009, 11:45
Sounds like he's a poor quality driver, I've always found Swedish cars to be exemplary in the snow.

Good luck with the Penines trip!

The Grand Wazoo
02-02-2009, 11:58
Either he was a bad driver or he was wearing very, very, very heavy shoes!!!!!

I've been a passenger on long Swedish road trips in worse weather than this and never seen a single car stranded, struggling or stuck (unless it hit a moose on a bend!!!!!)

In the UK, we fall to pieces at the slightest sniff of cold weather, we run out of grit by the end of November.............it's pretty pathetic really!

We're great at pirrouettes though!!

Marco
02-02-2009, 12:02
I am freezing!

Put some bloody heating on and/or a woolly jumper, ya dafty! ;)

Some idiots just shouldn't on the road. This is the problem you face with driving on the snow or ice, and also motorway driving, not being part of the test - some folk don't have a clue :mental:

There should be some form of simulation of the above conditions at test centres included as part of the driving test - oh, and that includes basic motor mechanics, too!

Marco.

Tony Moore
02-02-2009, 13:11
I don't know if it's still the case but when I was in Sweden back in the 80s they all tended to use "winter tyres" during the snowy months. These has small studs in for extra grip.

The Taxi drivers all drove like maniacs, probably cos they _could_ with those tyres. I was over in a UK spec 1.6L Ford Sierra with normal tyres, needless to say we took it a LOT easier! (That car was difficult enough to make go around corners, even in good weather!)

Their snow also tended to be powdery, temps being that much lower mostly.

Cheers,
Tony