PDA

View Full Version : MCRU Comment

icehockeyboy
08-08-2012, 22:16
Posted this firstly in the wrong place, so here we are again........

I was saying, I think Dave at MCRU's comment about the supplied Bushmaster PSU a bit OTT.

He states it injects noise and ruins the sound, I honestly believe that it certainly NOT the case!

I have had one of the MCRU PSU's on loan recently, and could detect no difference in sound quality, good or bad, and before you say I must be deaf, how come I could hear upgrades with the Tellurium speaker cable, and the Bushmaster dac?

Dave, I appreciated the loan of your PSU, but I have to strongly disagree with your comments about the Bushmaster PSU!

Anyone else here more than happy with the supplied BM PSU?

jandl100
09-08-2012, 06:42

Yep - the BM sounds ab-fab as supplied by Stan.

But there is no doubt in my mind at all that the Mark Grant-supplied linear PSU provides a substantial improvement.

MartinT has the same sort of result with his Paul Hynes PSU.
I've not tried the MCRU one, but others seem very pleased.

But, yes, I could easily live with the stock PSU, nothing "wrong" with it at all. IMHO it provides some of the best digital performance available at any price.

realysm42
09-08-2012, 07:05
Experience tends to form opinion.

Dingdong
09-08-2012, 08:34
Posted this firstly in the wrong place, so here we are again........

I was saying, I think Dave at MCRU's comment about the supplied Bushmaster PSU a bit OTT.

He states it injects noise and ruins the sound, I honestly believe that it certainly NOT the case!

I have had one of the MCRU PSU's on loan recently, and could detect no difference in sound quality, good or bad, and before you say I must be deaf, how come I could hear upgrades with the Tellurium speaker cable, and the Bushmaster dac?

Dave, I appreciated the loan of your PSU, but I have to strongly disagree with your comments about the Bushmaster PSU!

If you ask any manufacturer of third party power supplies they are going to give you reasons why their product is better than the one supplied by the manufacturer.
I'm quite certain the Bushmaster power supply can be improved, although I haven't listened to one.
If you didn't hear any difference with the power supply then fair enough. It's your system and your money.

StanleyB
09-08-2012, 09:16
I think what has worried a few people is the comment that the BM power supply 'injects noise and ruins the sound'. That is close to saying that the BM with its standard power supply is not a good buy.

Canetoad
09-08-2012, 09:37
I have listened to my Bushmaster in the following configurations:

Standard PSU - Sounds absolutely fine
Standard PSU with SBooster - I could hear more clarity in the treble
PSU using PH regulator - I thought I could hear a bit more clarity again, not as much as the difference made between stock and SBooster though. That's in my system, which I don't consider to be as "revealing" as some others' are.

Needless to say I run mine with the PH regulated PSU now. And very happy I am with it too. :)

sq225917
09-08-2012, 09:40
Is the standard unit linear or a SMPS, if it's a SMPS then it does indeed, unequivocally inject noise- they all do. But mostly into the mains and not the unit itself.

But then so do linear supplies, they just do it across a different range of frequencies. Plenty of 50hz multiples coming back fro the rectifiers on every linear supply out there.

The key point here is whether the noise from the standard supply affects the quality of the sound- it's easy for any marketer to claim a power supply injects noise- they all do, but at what level and to where?

Judging from the wide and varied happy reviews, it would seem to be that the PSU isn't an issue.

Canetoad
09-08-2012, 09:43
SMPS.

synsei
09-08-2012, 17:16
The big point here is 'marketing'. Dealers in any arena are going to push the products they sell, if they don't they quickly go out of business. Stan has chosen to supply a competent but modest SMPS with the Bushmaster in order to keep costs down. It is up to the individual customer to chose whether they need to upgrade to a 'better' p/s or not. At least the OP had a chance to listen to such a beast within his system before pulling the trigger. In this case there appears to be no advantage to be gained by stepping up to an after market linear p/s. There could be any number of reasons why this is so but in general a well designed linear p/s should offer a better level of performance over and above that of an SMPS.

lurcher
09-08-2012, 19:33
Plenty of 50hz multiples coming back fro the rectifiers on every linear supply out there.

Not if its running in choke input.

Just saying...

sq225917
10-08-2012, 08:20
Nick, quite. It's poor form though for MCRU to make that statement, vendors really should refrain from commentng on each others products. It's seldom beneficial.

icehockeyboy
13-08-2012, 08:15
Interesting replies!

My main point was about Dave at MCRU saying it ruined the sound, that surely cannot be proved/justified?

Going on comments about owners using the BM with the supplied PSU, I think they disagree too!

sq225917
13-08-2012, 10:25
That would seem to be the case.