PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 31.07.2012: Muddy Waters – 'Folk Singer' (1964)

The Grand Wazoo
31-07-2012, 21:32
Album Club: 31.07.2012: Muddy Waters – ‘Folk Singer' (1964)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qxGkmDZqL._SS500_.jpg

Play it on Spotify if you have an account:

spotify:album:5cLWh6nwcLUX2H4oGfW9Rx

Play it on Grooveshark if you don't: Muddy Waters – Folk Singer (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Folk+Singer/312509)

Wikipedia Link: Album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_Singer)

Wikipedia Link: Muddy Waters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muddy_Waters)

When he was on a tour of the South, recording music for the Library of Congress in 1941, Alan Lomax was trying to find Robert Johnson in order to document his songs. He discovered that Johnson was dead but made the first recording of Muddy Waters instead. Muddy got two copies of the record and a cheque for $40, but even more importantly, he got the confidence to believe that he could make a life in Chicago as a professional musician.

After a time doing driving jobs and working in a factory during the day, and playing for house parties and opening spots in clubs for Big Bill Broonzy, Muddy eventually got to do some recording. By this time, he’d moved to electric guitar because the atmosphere of the gigs was so rowdy & an acoustic couldn’t be heard above the din. He recorded some sides for Columbia that remained unreleased until much later, but then found his home at what eventually became Chess Records.

After some huge hit records, and three albums, the electric blues looked like becoming forgotten amid the new folk revival, so Chess decided to record what must have been the first ‘unplugged’ album in order to cash in. This was just Muddy going back to his roots, hence the reason for the great performances on ‘Folk Singer’.

It was well received by the critics but didn’t really sell all that all well at the time (never actually making the chart), but has grown over the years in stature to become what is probably one of the most important blues records ever.

The band included Waters on guitar, Willie Dixon on bass, Otis Spann on harmonica and piano and Buddy Guy also on guitar. The sound quality is superb, rich and liquid with the band perfectly portrayed in all planes, and with every note captured just as it should be. A Rolling Stone magazine review said:

"...There aren't too many blues albums that qualify as audiophile recordings, but Muddy Waters Folk Singer surely does. A wonderfully intimate session, it delivers Waters' voice in all its power and subtlety, while rendering his guitar work...with such vivid realism, you would think you were sitting in the studio...."

The album is readily available on vinyl and CD and it's cheap on CD. It's often reissued in audiophile formats.

May I commend this record to the house? - fill yer boots with the blues!

VOTING - please note that as well as the normal marks out of ten, this time there's the chance to tell us if you already know this album or not, so first select A or B and then select your vote out of ten

Note: - The Spotify & Grooveshark versions here have extra tracks that weren't on the original nine track release (the final track originally being 'Feel Like Going Home').

Thing Fish
31-07-2012, 21:39
No poll no vote.

The Grand Wazoo
31-07-2012, 21:41
Wait for it, wait for it!
You can't create the poll till after the thread has been posted.

Beechwoods
31-07-2012, 21:42
Amazing recording. Everyone should hear this on a decent system, at least once in their life...

Barry
31-07-2012, 21:54
+1

An essential album and a nice write up Chris. 10/10

Sorry, I didn't see Option A. Can someone add me to it?

Ali Tait
31-07-2012, 21:55
Yep, one of the best ever recordings.

RichB
31-07-2012, 22:22
Fantasic album, somehow my humble headphone rig cant do this justice. I;m ordering a cd version for my main system, Muddy was an inspiration to so many. Great choice, full marks!

The Grand Wazoo
31-07-2012, 22:29
Sorry, I didn't see Option A. Can someone add me to it?

I've amended the poll to reflect that Barry.

Tim
31-07-2012, 22:38
Well I have to admit to not having heard this before :o
But as I like what you play Chris, I have ordered it blind and won't listen to it on Spotify, but wait until it arrives (from California) before I listen to it :)

Thing Fish
31-07-2012, 22:42
I have always wanted to own this on vinyl. I'll keep my eye out for a 2nd hand original.

The Grand Wazoo
31-07-2012, 22:50
I'm impressed by your willpower for waiting to hear it in a high quality format. You're in for a proper treat Tim!

Tim
31-07-2012, 22:53
You're in for a proper treat Tim!
Great stuff Chris - the only Muddy Waters I have is his live at Newport album, so I am looking forward to this :)

The Grand Wazoo
31-07-2012, 22:59
The Newport album is good - I'm actually listening to it now believe it or not! 'Folk Singer' is very different though.
I also listened to the Lomax/Library of Congress Recordings earlier this evening and, having read Lomax' book which describes the session, it's fascinating to hear.

Tim
31-07-2012, 23:03
The Newport album is good - I'm actually listening to it now believe it or not!
Oooo, spooky. I have Sarah Vaughan on, feeling mellow before bed.

Audioman
31-07-2012, 23:32
I don't actualy have a copy of this now but had a copy of the Classic Records pressing which I returned due to a clicky pressing. My Impression is that the sound is made for hi-fi dems but isn't truly a great recording due to the reverb. According to Steve Hoffman who has heard the original this was added post production to make it sound impressive. The record company won't release the master without reverb unsurprisingly. The music is fine if you like traditional blues, the 'folk singer' label I assume being to attract sales on release. I will give this a listen before giving it a rating but imagine it will be at least a seven.

John
01-08-2012, 04:39
Totally essential and what a backing band. A real classic

Marco
01-08-2012, 08:51
My Impression is that the sound is made for hi-fi dems but isn't truly a great recording due to the reverb.

Try getting hold of either an original or remaster on vinyl, on the Chess label, Paul, and have another listen. I think you'll change your mind.

Reverb aside, the Chess example really is a stunning recording of quite phenomenal blues music, the sound quality of which is no doubt due to the superb valve microphones, mixing desks, and the all-analogue, 'direct' nature of the recording itself, produced by people who cared about the end result.

It's a veritable classic that everyone should have in their collection! :)

Marco.

Welder
01-08-2012, 20:18
Oh dear, here goes another month behind the sofa. :doh:

Yup, I’ve got it. What’s more I’ve got the MFSL version. :)
Yup, it’s got dynamic range; 15 (Dynamic range being a measure of the quietest part to the loudest part in ratio form, 20 being best and 1 worst) for album average by my foobar metre. Ooops, sry, I measured it. :doh:
But, let’s face it, how wrong can you go with dynamics with one bloke singing and playing a guitar? :D
Yup, I know plenty of recordings can’t even get this right but it’s not like trying to squeeze the London Philharmonic in full flow onto a recording is it? ;)

It’s one of those albums that every audiophile, it seems, have in their collection and should you have the misfortune of having to listen to their kit and their choice of music this and few other firm audiophile favorites gets dragged out. :rolleyes:

Do I like Muddy Waters? Well, he’s okay but I would rather listen to BB King tbh. :scratch:
Do I play it……..erm not since I got it up to now. :eek:
Are there other albums as well recorded that I like better?
Loads, and dare I add that some were recorded on horrid digital equipment relatively recently. :eek:

6/10

(I’ll get my coat then :eyebrows: )

The Grand Wazoo
01-08-2012, 20:25
Well I chose it for it's musical merit, so yah booh to you!

Marco
01-08-2012, 20:44
John,

The problem is, you can't emotionally connect with the music!! :D :eek:

;) ;)

Marco.

Welder
01-08-2012, 20:46
I'm sure you did Chris, but I don't like it that much.

The Grand Wazoo
01-08-2012, 23:14
If anyone's thinking of getting themselves a copy & wants to try a mega-pressing, you might think about having a go at this, it's 2 LP / 45 rpm / 200gm (http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/73422/Muddy_Waters-Folk_Singer-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record)
It's a bit pricey, mind - £35-£36 in the UK!

Bazil
02-08-2012, 15:38
Well this is timely as I've just finished Keith Richards book "Life" ( which is excellent btw).
Muddy Waters and his buddies out of Chicago dominate the book. I've never listened to any blues albums as I'm not fond of the sound, not a big Stones fan either but I'm getting into them slowly.
This album I feel is beyond criticism its so perfect, but do I like it, well its difficult not to with such a laid back vibe and it sounds wonderful.
I've given it 9/10 not 10/10 because I wouldn't buy it, although......

tubehunter
04-08-2012, 14:14
a classic

i have the studio master in 24bit 192khz

the dynamics are something else

i can even hear the studio space!

the perfect 10

synsei
04-08-2012, 18:44
This is the first time I've listened to anything by Muddy Waters and I'm sorry to say I'm not connecting with it at all, although I do agree that it is a good production. Perhaps I need to be in the right mood. I have given the album 5/10.

As an aside, I used to go to school with a lad called Muddy Waters so perhaps his parents were fans... :)

Audioman
06-08-2012, 11:01
If anyone's thinking of getting themselves a copy & wants to try a mega-pressing, you might think about having a go at this, it's 2 LP / 45 rpm / 200gm (http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/73422/Muddy_Waters-Folk_Singer-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record)
It's a bit pricey, mind - £35-£36 in the UK!

£48 !!! Typical price. Some retailers now asking £60+ :eek:

Tim
11-08-2012, 16:18
Well I can confidently vote on this album now, as the disc arrived during the week - great service again from All your Music (Amazon Marketplace) based in California.

In short I love it, very well recorded intimate acoustic blues, a timeless classic - in fact it sounds as if it could have just rolled off the presses. I was expecting it to be good from the comments here, but it exceeded my expectations. I would recommend this album to anyone, not just as a blues record, but just damn fine music. I'm really at odds to find fault with any of it TBH and as mentioned, I agree its a must for any collection. Sheer brilliance and many thanks to Chris for his selection.

Oh, its a 10 from me ;)

guyhayton
11-08-2012, 19:08
Thanks to Chris... this was new to me.
My copy arrived today whilst I was out. Three tracks in and I am sold. 10/10

WAD62
15-08-2012, 12:02
Didn't know about this, very keen on Mr Waters...Ordered!!!

Cheers for the tip Chris :)

MartinT
20-08-2012, 06:21
I first heard this when Marco brought it round and I loved it. I'm now looking for it on good vinyl (not 45s as they're a bit of a pain). Can't add much to what others have said here; in short, great music making. 10/10

WAD62
20-08-2012, 18:21
Fantastic...not heard this recording before, but have all the tracks on other inferior recordings.

Cheers Chris, a real treat for me, definitely what album club is all about...

10/10 :cool::cool::cool:

keiths
21-08-2012, 14:13
I used to have the 200g MoFi vinyl of this, but sold it on some years ago. I still have the MoFi CD and enjoy it very much - both for the music and the excellent recording (though I can only comment on the MoFi reissues as I've never heard the Chess original).

8/10 for me - but "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" is a well dodgy song :eek: