PDA

View Full Version : iPod Digital Out

Labarum
26-01-2009, 11:09
As understand it the iPod will provide a digital output to go to a higher quality external DAC. It is available from the docking connector, but only if the receiver uses a proprietary protocol that is only available to third part manufactures on payment of a licence fee.

I cannot see that this is in Apple's short or long term interest. It must be in their interest to see the iPod used in as many situations as possible. Surely it would be better unlocked, and yet better still if the jack-out also provided S/PDIF as in their laptops and Minis?

trailer
26-01-2009, 12:05
As far as I know only the Wadia dock can utilise this at present.

Labarum
26-01-2009, 14:18
As far as I know only the Wadia dock can utilise this at present.

That too is my belief. What can Apple hope to gain? Did they think third part manufacturers would rush to licence use of the digital out?

Clearly they are not, so would not Apple be wise to make the feature available freely?

So also their refusal to allow the iPod to play open standard files like FLAC and OGG - they complain enough about Microsoft's closed file formats in office software.

trailer
26-01-2009, 14:22
Seconded.

As an aside I'm trying to get a bottom dock LOD cable to run out of an iPhone that actually works (not just for an iPod). Has anyone had any success sourcing one?

Beechwoods
26-01-2009, 18:55
So also their refusal to allow the iPod to play open standard files like FLAC and OGG - they complain enough about Microsoft's closed file formats in office software.

Use Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org) alternative firmware. Works a treat even on old-school iPods. FLAC, SNH, APE and OGG support plus all the usual lossy flavours...

trailer
26-01-2009, 20:15
Reading through the Rockbox site I can't see anywhere of a mention about the iPods digital out being enabled?

Beechwoods
26-01-2009, 20:22
You're right - I was just referring to the FLAC / OGG playback question :)

Rockbox will probably reverse engineer the digital out functionality at some point. I must admit that until I read this thread I didn't even realise the iPod had such a thing. Mine's an old 2G machine :)

trailer
26-01-2009, 20:26
No worries Im guessing you'd still need a bespoke cable/interface or something anyway!

Labarum
26-01-2009, 20:31
Rockbox will probably reverse engineer the digital out functionality at some point.

I look forward to that.

I think the docking station has to send a special code to the iPod.