PDA

View Full Version : Philips CD204

jsj24uk
25-01-2009, 18:16
Evening all.

I have a bit of a problem which has renderd mty small but much loved system ever so slightly useless at the moment.

I bought a classic Philips CD204 CD player which has worked perfectly right upto last week. When you switched it on the spindle which spins the CD was constantly spinning. When you put a CD into the draw, it wouldn't recognise it but the cd would still keep spinning. When you ejected the cd, it would still be spinning when it hit the tray so you can imagine what the sirface of the cd looked like upon removal.

Ringing Philips customer services, put me onto a company in Ilford, Essex which have taken a £30 deposit off of me to have a look at it and will be getting back to me some time this week with a description of what could be wrong with it.

I'm just wondering if anyone on here has an idea of what it might be or shall I be saving my pennies to replace it with an Arcam CD player.

Many thanks.

Jim.

StanleyB
25-01-2009, 19:39
The CD204 had two problems that caused those symptoms. One was the laser unit, the other was one of the transistors that control the motor. One would go leaky, and then the whole thing would start spinning out of control. I remember that they were BC types, but that's a good 20 years ago...

STan

Labarum
25-01-2009, 22:13
Yes, I had a CD204 a good 20 years ago, bought just after my son was born and he is 23 now.

Used it with a Sugden A48 and a pair of Tannoy Cheviots (Dual Concentric)

Twas a solidly made box with a 14bit DAC.

I cant help with your query though!

I do wonder though why you would want to spend on a CD player at this stage in the development of audio - rip to hard drive, and if you are not good with computers buy a MacMini (<£400) and an external DAC, probably Stanley Beresford's.

marc brown
13-03-2009, 16:53
Evening all.

I have a bit of a problem which has renderd mty small but much loved system ever so slightly useless at the moment.

I bought a classic Philips CD204 CD player which has worked perfectly right upto last week. When you switched it on the spindle which spins the CD was constantly spinning. When you put a CD into the draw, it wouldn't recognise it but the cd would still keep spinning. When you ejected the cd, it would still be spinning when it hit the tray so you can imagine what the sirface of the cd looked like upon removal.

Ringing Philips customer services, put me onto a company in Ilford, Essex which have taken a £30 deposit off of me to have a look at it and will be getting back to me some time this week with a description of what could be wrong with it.

I'm just wondering if anyone on here has an idea of what it might be or shall I be saving my pennies to replace it with an Arcam CD player.

Many thanks.

Jim.

You have a great CD player there that shouldn't be too hard to fix. If you can find a service manual it'd be easy to fix. Usually these old Philips machines are robust but need occasional servicing -- like any twenty year old piece of electronics. :) Definitely fix it, don't bin it!

Spectral Morn
13-03-2009, 17:00
HI jsj24uk

Yes I would try to fix it...if its not going to be too costly. These computer audio types can be very (EVANGELICAL ;)). If you want to use CD's still, fair enough; you would be in good company. However if it cant be fixed for sensible money...then Labarum's suggestion might be worth thinking about.

Regards D S D L---Neil :)

BadgerB
17-03-2009, 16:08
That's a blast from the ancient Mullard/Philips past!

Try this website for service manuals and some interesting stuff on the early
14 bit DACs.

http://www.marantzphilips.nl/philips_cd104_cdplayer/