PDA

View Full Version : That 'I want it now' feeling

bhasi
22-01-2009, 22:23
Having announced elsewhere recently how deliriously happy I was with my £20 Behringer USB gizmo and the Internet radio joys it made possible, I found myself earlier in the week itching to spend, oh, £70-£120 on something better. I was thinking of the obvious - Pro-Ject, Musical Fidelity, Beresford - and I had the quaint notion of supporting bricks-and-mortar retailers. Living in SW London, I visited or phoned all the usual suspects in New Malden, Kingston, Barnes, Chelsea and on and off the Tottenham Court Road. Could have tried Wimbledon and Twickenham, too, I suppose, but 'no' is a very discouraging word and I just didn't have the staying power. To cut a long story short, none had anything cheaper than the Chordette in stock (bravo Unilet!), most had no DACs at all and some could get one in 2-3 days. Others suggested I try the Internet.

Pity. The urge has worn off now (for a bit!). Was I being unrealistic? Do retailers not see impulse purchasers as worth catering for at this price level?

By the way, most of the cash went on vinyl from the terrific Soul Brother shop nearby.

Beechwoods
22-01-2009, 22:29
By the way, most of the cash went on vinyl from the terrific Soul Brother shop nearby.

And that vinyl will please you no matter what system you have, so it sounds like money well spent!

Mike
22-01-2009, 22:31
And you probably won't need a DAC! :)