PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 03.07.12: Supertramp - Crime of the Century (1974)

MartinT
03-07-2012, 06:28
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/Supertramp_-_Crime_of_the_Century.jpg

Supertramp's Crime of the Century is a classic album that has aged very well indeed. Supertramp had found a little early success with two previous albums, but this one was their Dark Side of the Moon, released one year after that huge hit. COTC reached #4 in the British charts but that was almost irrelevant since it proved to be a long lasting steady seller throughout the years although it could be said to be more popular with the cognoscenti since Breakfast in America would be the album most associated with Supertramp now.

For me, as a 16 year old listening to this around the same time as Dark Side of the Moon and Phaedra, I was struck by how complex the musical ideas were and by the great songwriting and hooks. Not least of it was liking something that our parents didn't. Prog rock at its best! Now when I listen to it, I am in awe of the astonishing technical achievement for its time, the stupendous sound quality and, yes, songs that are now etched in my mind but still oh-so-enjoyable. A final mention for the iconic cover artwork, at once recognisable and memorable.

Used purely as a system test, listen for the very extended bass lines, the startling synth, everything in focus, panned backing vocals and the huge dynamics - better heard on LP than CD. Try 'School', a tour de force if ever there was one and far more enjoyable than some audiophile creation by a non-artist.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_of_the_Century_(album)

Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crime-Of-The-Century-Supertramp/dp/B000068FY0/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1341296258&sr=1-4

spotify:album:7muvJkPL3qvIferFpMkOs7

Daniel Quinn
03-07-2012, 08:50
Just bought this off ebay for a £5 [ incl p&p] based on your review .

Only previously heared "dreamer" on the radio and dont own any Supertramp Albums . vote to follow .

aquapiranha
03-07-2012, 09:19
I have been a fan for many years so will give this v an 8 :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Audioman
03-07-2012, 14:19
Great album, great recording. 9/10 as there is a little filler and there are a few albums I like better.

Spectral Morn
03-07-2012, 15:35
I am pretty sure I have this so I will give it a listen. Not totally sure I would call it prog though.

John
03-07-2012, 15:51
Like Neil I always had trouble seeing Supertramp as prog, but a good band yes
Not listened to this for about 20 years so will give it a spin

Tim
03-07-2012, 16:22
Not totally sure I would call it prog though.
Hmmm, I must admit I definitely would - a progressive concept album through and through.

I was also 16 at the time of its release and its a seminal album when it comes to my youth and development of my music tastes (alongside albums like DSOTM, Phaedra, Brain Salad Surgery and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway).

I play it often (last spin was 5th May 2012), know every lyric intimately and I still get goose bumps at the tempo change in 'School'. One of my all time favourite albums and without doubt for me its gets a perfect 10 :)

Nice choice Martin :cool:

prestonchipfryer
03-07-2012, 20:23
:) One of my favourite albums of all time. One I play regularly. Fantastic.

Alex_UK
04-07-2012, 08:47
There's a bit of "history" with me and this album, which came about after some ribbing I got on Martin's previous Album Club choice of Dire Straits original self titled album... To cut a long story short, I have this album, and have been introduced to the delights by Martin, Tim etc. a while back - and have played it fairly regularly since - I really enjoy it, though it is less "my time" than Breakfast In America. I've also got Paris from 1980 which I believe features most of this album live, so I must give that another go, too.

Scores on the doors time, then - 8/10 - not quite a 9, but it might get there one day!

DSJR
04-07-2012, 10:24
Nearly forty years old this, and I remember first hearing "Dreamer" on the radio back in '75.

I understand this album was all but ignored to start with, only gaining ground after a year or so. The recording and early pressings were good enough for this to become a staple demo record and as with many such, it was done to death, all but ruining it for me at the time. The original CD was raw, but lively and the gold issue was restrained and bland for whatever reason. I'm sure it's been quietly "remastered" in more recent times but I have no idea what current issue CD's sound like.

Great details on this album. The train annnouncement on "Rudy" is telling, as is the atmosphere/reverb on the album as a whole, the differences in turntable setup being easy to hear with almost any track.

Haven't played it in years/decades :eek: but shall dig it out promptly :)

prestonchipfryer
04-07-2012, 11:33
I think there was a CD remaster about ten or so years ago. I have the original CD release plus a MFSL cut and an 'Audiophile Series' half-speed cut from original 76cm/second master tapes on the A&M label Canada, which is from 1974/5. Very good sound and the train announcement crystal clear. :)

Audioman
04-07-2012, 12:57
The Speakers Corner 180g vinyl remaster is still available. This is the best way to hear this album.

MartinT
04-07-2012, 13:42
Agreed - the Speaker's Corner version has stunning sound quality. You will be amazed that this is a 1974 recording.

DSJR
04-07-2012, 13:44
Nothing wrong with 1974 recordings IMO, it's the skill of the engineers and producer that counts in all honesty :)

I played my MFSL Gold CD and it sounded so safe and "nice," as was popular in US audiophooldom for some time. I'm sure the original has more "verve" to it. Great music with meaningful (to a large extent) lyrics IMO.

MartinT
04-07-2012, 14:52
Yes, the more recently remastered CD is also lacking in dynamics. Not so the Speaker's Corner LP.

Mr Perceptive
04-07-2012, 16:11
Like this album, but prefer to listen to Paris, School always gets me in the mood for a big listening session!

Bazil
04-07-2012, 17:33
The Speakers Corner 180g vinyl remaster is still available. This is the best way to hear this album.

being a bit lazy, where can I buy it ?

Audioman
04-07-2012, 18:12

http://www.diversevinyl.com/item.php?id=1fc098d3acd91a58b19dfbd4e4d5bc71

Bazil
04-07-2012, 18:18
Thanks Paul

Copy ordered :D

MartinT
04-07-2012, 18:30

http://www.diversevinyl.com/search.options.php?action=search&artist=Supertramp&title=&label=&kw=&cat=&rs=100

Bazil
04-07-2012, 19:35
http://www.diversevinyl.com/item.php?id=1fc098d3acd91a58b19dfbd4e4d5bc71

http://www.diversevinyl.com/search.options.php?action=search&artist=Supertramp&title=&label=&kw=&cat=&rs=100

Whats this groundhog day :D

Audioman
04-07-2012, 19:41
Nothing wrong with 1974 recordings IMO, it's the skill of the engineers and producer that counts in all honesty :)

In this case Ken Scott.

Also did Crisis What Crisis for Supertramp. Hunky Dory and Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust for Bowie.

Martinh
05-07-2012, 12:01
Hi all,

Not bad at all, the spotify sound quality isn't brilliant IMHO but I have most of the tracks on the Retrospectacle CD, which sounds good.

Music-wise, i prefer the stuff from Breakfast in america album era, as before that I was still in short trousers :)

cheers,

synsei
05-07-2012, 12:36
A terrific album this and one of my favourites. I play it regularly (playing it right now in fact) and I agree with others comments that the recording is absolutely superb. The best track on the album for me is Hide In Your Shell for very personal reasons, it never fails to bring a lump to my throat. 10/10

Bazil
05-07-2012, 18:21
This is an album I've never heard all though I think I know all the tracks, as mentioned earlier I have just ordered it on re-mastered vinyl, really looking forward to it. School is a great song and Dreamer is an all time favorite of mine , one of those songs I never get fed up with.

DSJR
05-07-2012, 19:30
Right (quite right), you're bloody well right :lol:

Rudy is my track I think, 'cos I was him for a while back then...........

Daniel Quinn
09-07-2012, 16:46
This album arived today:)

unfortunately on thurs when i was modifying my PT , the hole cutter drill attachment made more of an impression on my left thumb that the sheet of carbon fibre . So , following the wonderful skills of the NHS plastic surgeons and a 2 hour emergency operation, my thumb as been rebuilt , : my left hand is in a cast and my PT is in bits on the floor . :doh::doh::doh::doh:

hopefully they will both be back working in 8 weeks

synsei
09-07-2012, 16:54
If you don't like it after all that it really would be The Crime Of The Century... :lol:

Get well soon Dennis ;)

MartinT
09-07-2012, 18:51
Ouch - hope it mends fast, Dennis.

The Grand Wazoo
09-07-2012, 19:38
If you don't like it after all that it really would be The Crime Of The Century... :lol:

Actually, I think Dennis may now be 'Indelibly Stamped'.
Get well soon, eh?!

synsei
09-07-2012, 19:44
:lol:

We are being very naughty... :spank: :D

Daniel Quinn
09-07-2012, 20:30
Given that i give the impression that i'm always "bloody well right" , i think im fair game for a little humorous comments :)

The Grand Wazoo
09-07-2012, 20:36
..........judging by the post accident photo of you in your avatar, I'd say you were 'well bloody, right'?

RichB
09-07-2012, 22:01
I gave this a 6, enjoyed listening to it but perhaps the more commercial 'Breakfast In America' is more my cuppa. Still a good and interesting selection.

Canetoad
10-07-2012, 08:20
I give it a 9. I love it!

Ordered a vinyl copy from here (http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&dropCart=1&productId=682)

MartinT
10-07-2012, 08:25
The Speakers Corner pressing is awesome, Bernie.

MartinT
10-07-2012, 08:28
Now that COTC has been in Album Club for a week, I'm amazed at the voting which has been all positive. While gratifying that my choice is well liked, and I'm always glad to introduce a good album to those who haven't heard it before, was there really no-one who disliked it? Would love to hear from everyone with any view to express.

Bazil
10-07-2012, 19:51
Still hasn't arrived :zzz:

Stratmangler
10-07-2012, 21:40
I'm surprised it took so long for this album to be put forward for album club.
I give it a 9, and have a number of copies of it, the best being the Speakers Corner release.

I first heard this album in 1974 when I was 12, and it has stayed with me ever since.

Canetoad
11-07-2012, 08:05
The Speakers Corner pressing is awesome, Bernie.

I have the CD version, so am really looking forward to listening to the vinyl copy when it arrives! Hope it arrives before the weekend as we're off on holidays for a week. :)

Welder
14-07-2012, 11:47
This is one of those albums where it wouldn’t matter if you only ever heard it on a transistor radio, it would still be great.

I first heard this on what was basically a butchered PA system at the club where we used to bands on. We even tried to book them but if my memory serves me they wanted around two hundred pounds which was rather a lot in the mid seventies.:eyebrows:
Like many bands imo, they managed one truly great album and this is it. This is definitely in my top fifty albums and a major soundtrack to some great times.

9/10
There are only a handful of albums that I could give 10/10 for and we haven’t covered one yet.

MartinT
14-07-2012, 12:07
9/10
There are only a handful of albums that I could give 10/10 for and we haven’t covered one yet.

Nice one, John. You're on the list so why not propose one of your top ten next time?

Bazil
19-07-2012, 17:28
Incredibly I'm still waiting for my copy ordered from Audio Affair on the 4th July :steam:

MartinT
19-07-2012, 19:47
They have usually been prompt for me. Did they claim to have it in stock?

Bazil
20-07-2012, 12:16
They have usually been prompt for me. Did they claim to have it in stock?

Unless I was being a bit dozy and missed it I think they were in stock, I never order anything listed out of stock.
I've just rang them and its on its way to them from the suppliers, thousand apologies etc. etc.

Canetoad
25-07-2012, 06:50
Incredibly I'm still waiting for my copy ordered from Audio Affair on the 4th July :steam:

Me too! :(

Audioman
27-07-2012, 09:30

Audio Affair should be shot for advertising stuff not in stock. I have heard of problems with them in the past. Seems like a company trying to stock (or advertise) too much product. Meant to pay them a visit in Brum sometime but never got round to it. I am surprised they have survived the recession actualy but may be proped up by their very good and convincing web presence that keeps orders coming in from people too lazy to audition. I can't believe they stock a fraction of the product on the site given their modest premises. My advice is cancel and give Diverse Vinyl a ring to see if they have copies in stock.

MartinT
27-07-2012, 10:47
Shame that, as Audio Affair have been good to me. I bought my speakers from them and had their presence and the distributor's at my house. I've also ordered on the internet and received goods in a timely manner.

Shame if they're advertising what's not in stock as that is a pet bugbear of mine. Diverse Vinyl are very good and can be recommended.

Bazil
27-07-2012, 17:46
I was going to buy from Diverse but chose Audio Affair because they have my details from previous purchases (not music btw.) Just being lazy, thing is poor service multiplies by 27 so I think there will be a few not using them in the future for music .

Canetoad
31-07-2012, 09:34
Rang and was told that the LP should arrive this week. I won't be using them again. :steam:

Bazil
03-08-2012, 18:17
Rang and was told that the LP should arrive this week. I won't be using them again. :steam:

Have you got it yet, I haven't :(

Canetoad
08-08-2012, 13:34
No. :steam:

I'm ringing and getting a refund! I'm not waiting any longer!

MartinT
08-08-2012, 19:03
Go to Diverse.

Bazil
08-08-2012, 19:42
A knock at the door ? The postman, why did he knock? Oh he has a large square parcel for me.Whatever could that be?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dQIuiNdLmtc/UCK9bOY4JGI/AAAAAAAAAuI/2j0o-UQ7PQE/s800/Tramp1.JPG

Can't remember ordering anything, lets 'ave a looksee.
Well bloody 'ell a Gramophone Record and thats a coincidence , wasn't that Album Club album of the week about 3 years ago.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-No84z8LLcUQ/UCK9bPC4zjI/AAAAAAAAAuM/WzXrPxBR4VE/s800/Tramp2.JPG

Better 'ave a listen I suppose , even though its soo last (Crime Of The) century.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9TxJvosZGTw/UCK9bUQ7l3I/AAAAAAAAAuQ/LeSV7BCu3H0/s800/Tramp3.JPG

Oh boy this sounds so good, why I never bought this back in the day is a mystery, but of course when your a teenager you stick with your select bands and these were American weren't they ;).
You know the intro to Dreamer is one of the great catalysts to any record and the song itself does the intro justice. Great album wonderful tunes 10/10.

MartinT
08-08-2012, 20:04
A fairytale ending :)

Tim
08-08-2012, 20:08
why I never bought this back in the day is a mystery
Its a timeless classic Barry, so whether you bought it in the 70's or 40 years later, it matters not as you have it now ;)

The Grand Wazoo
09-08-2012, 06:58
......and these were American weren't they

If only you'd known!

keiths
21-08-2012, 14:24
Another 8/10 from me as I own this album both on vinyl and CD.

Supertramp were one of the more 'disposable' bands of this era for me, though I have all their 70s output. I don't really like either of the singers' voices too much which is what probably stops me enjoying them more (same with Yes), but this is an album with some strong songs and good (but not for me great) recording and production values. It was nice to listen to this again after a fair break.

Barry
26-10-2012, 00:33
A classic, along with 'Breakfast in America' and 'Crisis, what crisis?' 8/10.

Bazil
06-11-2012, 19:31
I was playing this the other day and the first note on "Dreamer" is so distinctive if that is the right word, one note and Bang! great song.

system7
08-07-2013, 19:36
I just want to add a word or two about the stupendous production values of the Supertramp "Crime of the Century" album.

It was produced by Ken Scott who did a lot of Bowie stuff too.

He got the first pressings done by the classical music division which was a step up from normal vinyl, but most interestingly, IIRC the whole album was produced with solely left, right and centre staging, which of course works stupendously well in two speaker stereo.

Sadly, later CD copies were mightily compressed and failed to deliver the attack of the original vinyl pressing.

I'd rate it as the best sounding LP ever. Whether the rather sentimental lyrics appeal is up to you. But a musical masterpiece for sure. :)

MartinT
08-07-2013, 20:27
I'd rate it as the best sounding LP ever

Glad you like it, Steve. It's an absolute stunner in production values and the three-point stereo is clear to hear with fantastic spatial positioning giving true depth. Certainly the LP significantly outperforms the CD.

Tricky to choose a winner between this and Gaucho for best sound quality.

The Grand Wazoo
09-07-2013, 23:27
I'd go for 'Gaucho' out of the two. It has an incredible snap to it when played on even a very modest system. Play it on a good one though, and wow!!