PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of T-Amps

John
28-06-2012, 20:54
I been playing around with Tamps for the last few months, at times it has been frustrating, half way through this my hearing went and needed ear irragation to sort out the issue
PLEASE REMEMBER i AM USING HIGH EFFICENT SPEAKERS 95.6DB
Here my experience
3rd
The Arjen Helder 2020 kit
Bloogy hell this amp is brutual on some music it brings the track alive like nothing I heard before but also it can be overwhelming an example of this is Beth Hart Jealousy It makes Beth voice far to harsh and course, it sometimes does this with guitars too, making some tracks unlistenable. But on some of my world fusion albums the music was just awesome. Not for me due to its brutality I want to be able to listen to my entire collection
2nd
The Ampastic Mini T I used this with a linear power supply that seems to take things even further than the standard power supply. Enough has already been written on AOS about the amp and I totally get why people like it.
1st
The Bantam Gold with Slagle volume control
I have to say totally blown away with this amp.
It gives lots of detail and resolves music really well, throw something complex on it and everything comes through. There is no harshness. It many ways it just so musical.

Ali Tait
28-06-2012, 21:03
What's the Slagle volume control John?

I agree the Gold is a very good T amp.

John
28-06-2012, 21:06
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0611/slagle_autoformer_volume_control_modules.htm
It used in some very exotic amps

Ali Tait
28-06-2012, 21:12
Looks interesting John, I hadn't seen those before. Did you buy some modules?

John
28-06-2012, 21:13
Borrrowing them at present but they are keepers, really work well with the Bantam board

Ali Tait
28-06-2012, 21:44
Interesting, might give these a go sometime. Did someone buy the modules and put them in case themselves?

John
29-06-2012, 04:28
Yes if you got soldering skills then very easy

Ali Tait
29-06-2012, 08:51
Aye, look simple enough.

Puffin
10-07-2012, 11:53
John. Have you ever tried an optocoupler using LDRs (Light Dependant Resistors, no moving parts in the signal path). Very cheap to make (£20) I have used one for the last couple of years and it is the first one I made (have made several and some for members of this 'ere forum). I can only compare to Alps and Soundwell pots (nothing exotic or expensive) but they sound dull in comparison. Used with a Pass B1 it is a very competent combination.

Rob.

Clive
10-07-2012, 12:22
John. Have you ever tried an optocoupler using LDRs (Light Dependant Resistors, no moving parts in the signal path). Very cheap to make (£20) I have used one for the last couple of years and it is the first one I made (have made several and some for members of this 'ere forum). I can only compare to Alps and Soundwell pots (nothing exotic or expensive) but they sound dull in comparison. Used with a Pass B1 it is a very competent combination.

Rob.
A pal of John and myself tried an LDR setup with his T-amp and 100db efficiency speakers, he couldn't eradicate hiss from the LDRs. This put me off trying some -hi-eff speakers can be very demanding!

Puffin
10-07-2012, 13:06
Hiss? I have never had any hiss and have never heard of anyone else experiencing hiss. I have used mine with Fostex 206E's 96dB.

Clive
10-07-2012, 13:14
Hiss? I have never had any hiss and have never heard of anyone else experiencing hiss. I have used mine with Fostex 206E's 96dB.
All I know is that it was a Lighter Note which came pre-assembled from Build an Amp. Some Slagle AVCs replaced the Lighter Note and ignoring the LDR hiss there was little to choose between the two in sound quality.

If the extra 4db efficiency of our friend's speakers make the difference then John would be ok with an LDR on his OBs.