PDA

View Full Version : What does it feckin cost?

zygote23
28-06-2012, 11:14
Ok so I'll try not to have a rant as I'm now free for a couple of months R&R and should be really chilled.

My question is as follows:

Why do dealers post up their latest offerings in terms of 'the finest components known to man etc etc blah blah blah' but refuse to list a price?

Of course then the logical thing to do is visit their web site which usually turns out to be rather sparse and also have no listed price for afore mentioned components.

I'm twitching here with a bad dose of upgradeitis but if I can't see a RRP then I won't even remotely consider contacting a dealer.

Ideas?

Wakefield Turntables
28-06-2012, 11:21
It's quite simple its just to entice you so that you spend lots of money

zygote23
28-06-2012, 12:37
It's quite simple its just to entice you so that you spend lots of money

I'm afraid It fails every time with me.....If I cannot see a price straight away my automatic anti -fleece bullshitometer alert system kicks into place and I move along.

Martinh
28-06-2012, 13:45
Ok so I'll try not to have a rant as I'm now free for a couple of months R&R and should be really chilled.

Why do dealers post up their latest offerings in terms of 'the finest components known to man etc etc blah blah blah' but refuse to list a price?

Of course then the logical thing to do is visit their web site which usually turns out to be rather sparse and also have no listed price for afore mentioned components.

I'm twitching here with a bad dose of upgradeitis but if I can't see a RRP then I won't even remotely consider contacting a dealer.

Ideas?

As the old saying goes:

If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it.

zygote23
28-06-2012, 14:11
As the old saying goes:

If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it.

Believe me I can probably afford it but I think its bloody rude!

If I have anything to sell I am obliged to show an asking price......why does this not apply to dealers!

I smell a rat!

Barry
28-06-2012, 16:08
I'm afraid it fails every time with me.....If I cannot see a price straight away my automatic anti -fleece bullshitometer alert system kicks into place and I move along.

I'm of a like mind. And why do dealers who advertise in the magazines often state in the price column 'POA'?

zygote23
28-06-2012, 16:41
The answer is simple.....they intend to part you from as much cash as possible!

Barry
28-06-2012, 16:45
The answer is simple.....they intend to part you from as much cash as possible!

But like you, if I don't know the price I won't even approach them.

bobbasrah
28-06-2012, 17:43
But like you, if I don't know the price I won't even approach them.

Agreed 100%
POA - How about
Piss Off Away

Wakefield Turntables
28-06-2012, 18:10
I'm afraid It fails every time with me.....If I cannot see a price straight away my automatic anti -fleece bullshitometer alert system kicks into place and I move along.

:rofl: This put a smile on my face. :)

myles
28-06-2012, 18:27

Slightly off topic, if I see a price ex vat, no matter how good the item is, I'm gone.

Spectral Morn
28-06-2012, 18:42

Ideas?

Its called fishing, a form of marketing. I agree re dealers who don't price their products on their websites, its lazy :(. I think that manufacturers and distributors should list the prices as well. Its a pet hate of mine too.

daytona600
28-06-2012, 20:40
never pay list price RRP on anything haggle guys there is a recession going on guys

MCRU
28-06-2012, 20:49
never pay list price RRP on anything haggle guys there is a recession going on guys

I find that so funny Scott!

I cannot put anything on my website without a price so who are we talking about here then?

Barry
28-06-2012, 23:29

Retail Price Maintenance was abandoned years ago. Legally all prices shown or quoted are "an invitation to barter". So haggle away - it might work.

daytona600
29-06-2012, 04:35
I find that so funny Scott!

I cannot put anything on my website without a price so who are we talking about here then?

this covers everything Not just hifi , Typical scots me i haggle on price for everything
got £500 off a samsung tv the other day , asked for the window display one
did not even have a plug on it yet , we scots invented copper wire