PDA

View Full Version : And they did Bose's work for them ... for free

Neil McCauley
15-01-2009, 16:43
Is this the fountainhead who’s outpourings slowly but surely led to the ridicule of our industry by others looking in from the outside?

http://web.mac.com/trebor1966/iWeb/Flat%20Response/Issue%201.html

As one contributor to the PFM forum said earlier today ….

“Letters page:

Q: I have £300 to spend on a hifi. What should I be looking at?

A: Buy an LP12. Sit and watch it go round. Get the rest when you have more money.

Q: I have an XYZ turntable and I like it, I have £100 for better components. What do you recommend?

A: Save up another £200 and buy an LP12.

So it goes on."

Quite so.

This sort of nonsense must have a terrific beneficial effect for Bose (for example) – considerably more so than their vast marketing budget did I'd guess. How they must have laughed …….. all the way to the bank.

anthonyTD
15-01-2009, 17:01
Is this the fountainhead who’s outpourings slowly but surely led to the ridicule of our industry by others looking in from the outside?

http://web.mac.com/trebor1966/iWeb/Flat%20Response/Issue%201.html

As one contributor to the PFM forum said earlier today ….

“Letters page:

Q: I have £300 to spend on a hifi. What should I be looking at?

A: Buy an LP12. Sit and watch it go round. Get the rest when you have more money.

Q: I have an XYZ turntable and I like it, I have £100 for better components. What do you recommend?

A: Save up another £200 and buy an LP12.

So it goes on."

Quite so.

This sort of nonsense must have a terrific beneficial effect for Bose (for example) – considerably more so than their vast marketing budget did I'd guess. How they must have laughed …….. all the way to the bank.

hi howard,
please excuse me for asking but what is the connection between lp12's and bose? and why would these discusions recomendations of lp12's on forums have any link to bose's profits/sales.
maybe i am missing something,?
anthony...

Neil McCauley
15-01-2009, 17:08
hi howard,
please excuse me for asking but what is the connection between lp12's and bose? and why would these discusions recomendations of lp12's on forums have any link to bose's profits/sales.
maybe i am missing something,?
anthony...
Perhaps I was a little too cryptic.

1. The magazine I refer to had an editorial policy that exemplified the policies of other audiophile magazines.

2. The stanglehold that Linn, their dealers and their acolytes had can be discovered today through reading Ken Kessler's excellent piece on The Turntable Wars in a recent issue of HFN

3. Novices bought those sorts of magazines and reading that type of nonsense would no doubt become dismayed by the utter lack of objectivity.

4. Meanwhile Bose went from almost nowhere to quickly become one if not the most successful audio (not audiophile) makers of all time not through, in my opinion, sonic excellence but by not talking down to the customer and by making music in the home utterly uncomplicated.

That's my take on it.

Does that help?

Howard.

anthonyTD
15-01-2009, 17:35
hi howard,
ok,,, fair point, and there are i suspect quite few other manufacturers that also benefited in that era mainly from the way they treated their public rather than the quality of their products.:eyebrows:
anthony...

Neil McCauley
15-01-2009, 17:50
hi howard,
ok,,, fair point, and there are i suspect quite few other manufacturers that also benefited in that era mainly from the way they treated their public rather than the quality of their products.:eyebrows:
anthony...
Certainly are. And they still get fawning uncritical reviews in the mags. Meanwhile - Bose don't bother. Job done. Mission accomplished.

Primalsea
16-01-2009, 17:46
Shouldn't that be Mission Over:lolsign: