PDA

View Full Version : PAL formats UK and Oz

Canetoad
27-06-2012, 09:02
I was wondering if a UK spec TV would tune in available channels in Australia. I know that they are both PAL but wasn't sure if channel frequencies were similar or not.

Does anybody know before I hit the net for answers? :scratch:

StanleyB
27-06-2012, 15:24
Nope, won't work. Different PAL versions.

Rare Bird
22-10-2012, 08:41
Will but they'll be no sound. You could buy PAL I to PAL B tuners or i suppose the tuner in a VCR might work!

Dingdong
22-10-2012, 08:55
It is my understanding that the audio is modulated on a different frequency. Some, more modern, tellies will be okay with this. Check the manual. Others will need a component swap that should not be too expensive.

DaveK
22-10-2012, 08:58
Even if it would, would you really risk shipping one to OZ?

Canetoad
22-10-2012, 09:12
If it was packed with a heap of other stuff in a container it would be OK. On its own I wouldn't want to send it.

DaveK
22-10-2012, 10:16
You have more faith in such things than I do. On seperate ocassions some years ago I and a friend had containerised stuff shipped from Singapore to UK. Most of it arrived OK - solid stuff like furniture - but some of the more delicate stuff like glassware and bulky hifi gear (as it was then) did suffer some damage.
Hopefully things have changed since then, both with the electronics and the shipping :) .
Good luck with the move and I hope everything works out for you.
Dave.