PDA

View Full Version : Boot Sale HI-FI ?

Audio Al
24-06-2012, 02:40
Hello

Quite often when doing the rounds at several local boot sales I have seen HI-FI components ,Including some brand names like Pioneer , Sony , Technics etc all for peanuts

These include

Dual tape decks
CDP's
Tuners
Amps
occasional TT
Speakers

I have never purchased anything ( Not brave enough )

Has anyone else had any bargains from the boot sales That work as they should ?

One day I may invest in something and see if it works :eyebrows:

sq225917
24-06-2012, 07:28
Speak to user 'Bootsale' on the Wam, Dave has lots of Hifi.... Mostly bought for a tenner or so.

hifi_dave
24-06-2012, 08:53
I've never seen anything of any worth in car boot sales or charity shops, not even a CD but some have been lucky. One of my customers bought a Garrard 401 from a charity shop for a tenner, the other week.

Macca
24-06-2012, 09:01
Not been to a boot in years but when I did there was nostly tat, audio-wise. I guess London and down sarf in general there are richer pickings. If they are only asking pennies then take a punt is my advice. I did once buy a lovely Marantz integrated, copper finsh with VU meters for a tenner - it turned out to have a fault on one channel but at the time I had a tame sparky who fixed it for £20. Lent it to a mate when his Audiolab died on him. He still uses it almost 20 years on.

Spur07
24-06-2012, 09:09
I've never seen anything of any worth in car boot sales or charity shops, not even a CD but some have been lucky. One of my customers bought a Garrard 401 from a charity shop for a tenner, the other week.

wooow :(

most charity shops wont deal with anything they deem 'electrical' for fear of being sued if it goes pop in the buyers possession. It's a real shame. I had a quick look in the electronics skip of my local recycling centre the other day - chocker block full of decent gear of all formats. I've even seen tube amps in there before.

hifi_dave
24-06-2012, 09:24
That's right, maybe they didn't know what it was. Personally, I'd have given them more than the asking price of £10, as we all know what they're worth.

When we last moved, I took loads of stuff to various charity shops and they didn't want most of it - jigsaws, various kitchen appliances and even a brand new kiddies bike. All down to "elf n safety " except the jigsaws and that was they weren't sure if any pieces were missing..:doh:

spendorman
24-06-2012, 09:44
99p for a pair of 15 Ohm Rogers LS3/5a's in good condition at a car boot sale, a friend got this bargain.

Macca
24-06-2012, 10:00
99p for a pair of 15 Ohm Rogers LS3/5a's in good condition at a car boot sale, a friend got this bargain.

I think I probably would have given them the full pound ;)

That is an amazing find. What do they fetch s/h, £500?

jollyfix
24-06-2012, 10:12
there are so many charity shops that sell elec goods,they have to be pat tested etc by a electrician,my local shop had an old garrard dj twin deck with pa amp and speakers all in good nic .went for £25.00.there is also a huge car boot in cheddar,i have bought some stuff there before ,some i give to friends,some just to play around with.I always take my car 12v - 240v inverter to test amongst other things.bought a cyrus 2 and pxr for £10.00,system deck (round one) turntable for £35.00.mint sherwood twin tape deck (still in box etc) £12.00.i did see some tdl floor stand speakers the other week,seller wanted £40.00 but on inspection tweeter had been pushed in (kids).there are bargins to be had,but there is also loads of crap..get there early!!!! ,because all the dealers get there early and they tent to buy all the good stuff to sell at their shops/stalls.

spendorman
24-06-2012, 10:12
I think I probably would have given them the full pound ;)

That is an amazing find. What do they fetch s/h, £500?

Probably more than that.

I believe the guy still has them. It's even a funnier story. About five years ago I bid on some slightly tatty Celestion Ditton 15's on ebay, won them for 99p. It was local, so easy to pick them up. The guy would not take the 99p, and I felt guilty. His other speakers were the LS3/5a's and B&W DM4's.

He got his value though because I helped him with some computer problems, and we remained friends since then.

dantheman91
24-06-2012, 12:01
Hi

been quite lucky over the last few years with hi-fi from bootys. some tresure was

2 pye mozart valve amplifiers for a £10
tannoy 3lz speakers £2
various others

sparrow
24-06-2012, 18:07
My mate goes to quite a few boot sales...last week he spotted a guy buying the Led Zepp Ist. album with turquoise lettering for £1....My mate just missed buying it by seconds. It was the buyer told him in decent condition...of the few I've been to never ever saw any decent hi fi gear but have picked up quite a few LP's.

Mothman
25-06-2012, 16:40
I go to our local booty most weeks looking for CD's, however yesterday most people were put off by the weather and so I managed to bag a nice Pioneer PD-7700 Stable Platter CD player in good nick for £3.50.

Spur07
26-06-2012, 07:52
i really must start going again seeing as it's now booty season, not that i need more gear in my life :)

Beobloke
26-06-2012, 09:35
I'm sure I've banged on about my booty bargains over the years before on here so I won't go through them again, unless anyone particularly wants boring with them.

However, recent acquisitions in the last few weeks have included an original 1983 front-loading Technics SL-P10 CD player for £3 which I nearly missed as it was sat at the bottom of a pile of BPC. Probably because it weighs a ton and would have squashed any of this that was placed underneath it. Naturally it didn't work but has since been persuaded into action - not sure how much life is left in the laser though!

Other than that, I have also acquired a Goldring Lenco GL75 for £5 and pairs of white Wharfedale Diamond and NAD 8020e speakers for £5 each, all from my local dump.

:eyebrows:

nat8808
26-06-2012, 16:26
I picked out a Pioneer RT707 from a scrap metal skip at a dump a few years ago - complete with a 70's chart disco/Abba mixtape!

I think it depends where you are - doubt you'd get much from London boot sales. But you never know..

I replied to a Freecycle ad about an hour after it appeared - two Minimoogs, a Yamaha CS80 and some other early 70s/80s music gear. All collected that day by 'a charity' ahem.. Must have been some £12k of gear given away, a guy having a clearout of his old music equipment that "must be of use to somebody?"

I think ebay is clearing out the bootsales, both before they reach the sale or snapped up quick by others.

Good for the odd cassette though for the car!

prestonchipfryer
26-06-2012, 16:42
Picked up a Quad 33/405 mk1/FM3 a few years ago. £30 - bargain.

dantheman91
26-06-2012, 17:18

hi

where from which booty :eyebrows:

prestonchipfryer
26-06-2012, 17:40
hi

where from which booty :eyebrows:

It was at the Weymouth FC boot. I was at home and my wife phoned to say the Quads were at the boot and should she buy it. She did buy it and the sellers were oblivious of what they were worth. It's all working still but the FM3 defo needs a service and expect the 33/405 does as well. Not actually using it so may sell it. :)

The Weymouth FC boot has just restarted after several years.

myles
26-06-2012, 17:47
It was at the Weymouth FC boot. I was at home and my wife phoned to say the Quads were at the boot and should she buy it. She did buy it and the sellers were oblivious of what they were worth. It's all working still but the FM3 defo needs a service and expect the 33/405 does as well. Not actually using it so may sell it. :)

The Weymouth FC boot has just restarted after several years.

Score! Even better with what the seller would think is 'only a woman!' A shrewd woman, some might say a keeper!

prestonchipfryer
26-06-2012, 18:24
Score! Even better with what the seller would think is 'only a woman!' A shrewd woman, some might say a keeper!

Definitely :)

Beobloke
27-06-2012, 07:40

Nice find! I had a 33/303/FM2SD from the same local dump as I mentioned earlier a couple of years back - £5 and it all worked perfectly.

It never ceases to amaze me what people throw out.. :rolleyes:

joey
27-06-2012, 22:52
Picked up a few bits at boot sales, tend to go every week unless its raining or im working,

Got some original KEF coda speakers for £2 some KEF Choral speakers for £3, the Kef KK4 speakers im using at the moment, think they where £2.
Also got some Goodmans Maxim speakers off a friend who did car boots at the time for a whole £1!
and lots of other various stuff that iv proberly foggoten about

missed out on a Dual 501 turntable last week for £3 just as i saw it someone was buying it :(

rwacka
08-07-2012, 06:52
Managed to rescue a pair of Quad IIs along with an FM2 and 22 controller just before they were tossed into a skip at the local recycling centre. The staff took a bit of persuading before they let me take them. A trip to the dump is never a chore now!!!!

slate
08-07-2012, 08:09
Walked by a charity shop in the NeXT town a couple of years back; in the window I spotted a Tandberg TR2025 with a pair of matching speakers. I was standing there for a minute or two arguing with myself if I could find a place to put it...

Spur07
09-07-2012, 07:45
Nice find! I had a 33/303/FM2SD from the same local dump as I mentioned earlier a couple of years back - £5 and it all worked perfectly.

It never ceases to amaze me what people throw out.. :rolleyes:

Amazing! I know we've discussed this subject before but I never tire of hearing about people's booty/charity finds.

Spur07
09-07-2012, 07:51
Managed to rescue a pair of Quad IIs along with an FM2 and 22 controller just before they were tossed into a skip at the local recycling centre. The staff took a bit of persuading before they let me take them. A trip to the dump is never a chore now!!!!

Now you see, that's what I'm talking about! :D

I'm not sure whether to be heartened by the fact people still throw valve amps away, my mate's a big KT66 fan and he's convinced people would never do that anymore even if they knew nothing about what they had. You did well to prize it away from the busybodies at the recycling centre. My lot are adamant nothing leaves the site, even though I've seen them fishing TT's out the electronic skip and conveniently placing them to one side :scratch: I've even thought about contacting my local council and asking them if they'll let me have stuff if I sign some kind of waver/contract.

dantheman91
09-07-2012, 08:02
Hi

My dad used too pick up a ton of decent gear on a dialy basis :eek: walking in a room from a child stacked with hi-fi bring back merories of how easy it was to accuire in the 90's and early 00's i remember i big pair of TANNOY Canterbury reds sitting in a corner bought from the tip. used to pick up 301 and 401's reguler i wont say the amount of other stuff he had accuired but the list is HUGE.

Also used to pick up quad ii from the back of his hand with eaither a 301 or 401 with it once he did buy one for £200 with stacked quads.

Nowadays you cant buy this stuff without a hefty price tag i would like to go back in time

Barry
09-07-2012, 09:20
Jeez - these posts are depressing me! The only items I've got for free are a couple of Quad tuners (an FM2 and an AM1), that were given to me.

The thought of picking up Quad gear from a car boot sale, or out of a skip, for a song depresses me for two reasons: firstly because this stuff is being discarded :eek: :doh:, and secondly I never see any of it at my 'civic amenity centre' - I've had to pay hundreds for my gear. :(

So you guys have been very lucky. A case of "being in the right place at the right time". :)

Macca
09-07-2012, 12:35
. You did well to prize it away from the busybodies at the recycling centre. My lot are adamant nothing leaves the site, even though I've seen them fishing TT's out the electronic skip and conveniently placing them to one side :scratch: I've even thought about contacting my local council and asking them if they'll let me have stuff if I sign some kind of waver/contract.

That seems to be the case where I am too. The public are not allowed to take or buy anything but the staff can unoffically poach anything they want. I know this for a fact as bloke in my street used to work there - he came home one time with a vintage Marshall guitar amp combo - who the f**k would skip that?

Spur07
09-07-2012, 17:04
That seems to be the case where I am too. The public are not allowed to take or buy anything but the staff can unoffically poach anything they want. I know this for a fact as bloke in my street used to work there - he came home one time with a vintage Marshall guitar amp combo - who the f**k would skip that?

yeah, it stinks mate. i saw them clear as day taking stuff out the skip - I'm sure they'd come up with some excuse but why else would they be fishing stuff out if not to keep it. I swear I've seen some top stuff in that electronics skip and I only visit once in a blue moon to dump stuff. I dread to think what i'd see if I visited regularly.

I really must get in touch with the supervisor and see if I can work something out with them, it's worth an email at least.

Old boy
24-07-2012, 22:03
Went to a Pretty small local council tip today with the garden stuff,whilst passing the electric items container I couldnt believe my eyes there was a big pair of old tannoys stacked up not sure of the model but they did have the old tannoy badge in the top right of the grills,dumped the grass made a B line for the staff shed,made it clear there was a wad of cash if i could take em away,only to be told in no uncertain terms to get lost,nothing gets sold.
Well went back to my car pretty pissed really offloaded the rest of my rubbish now the real kicker as i drove past the container the bloody speakers had "disapeared" all this inside of maybe 15 minutes !
All the way back home I kept telling myself nah the drivers were prob shagged anyway.

Audio Al
29-07-2012, 08:58
Went out for a walk around one of my local boot sales today

Bagged some bits and bobs

3 Boxed sets of LP's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1726.jpg

50p
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1727.jpg
£2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1728.jpg
£2

Then a Goldring Lenco TT

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1729.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1730.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1731.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1732.jpg
I have the lift off lid for it as well , may need some re wiring as it is still fitted with a round pin plug
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1733.jpg

It is 4 speed , 16 , 33 , 45 , 78 , I have not seen 16 rpm records before ??

Looking forward to seeing if it works and having a play

The TT is very smooth one little spin and it rotates for ages

Also looks to have a automatic arm lift mechanism

quite pleased with this :D

And last of all , a

Audio Innovations , Brighton , England Valve amp , sadly no vales :(

I now need to find 9 valves :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1734.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1735.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1736.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1737.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1738.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1739.jpg
Does not have a model number on it ? Anyone recognize it ????

looks like a 700 series http://www.f2s61092.f2s.com/Pics/700-256.jpeg

It is VERY heavy , and it had to be at the furthest end away from my car , I was knackered when I got to the car :doh:

again something of a project , as I don't know if it works

Time for some Brunch and some Shirley Bassey me thinks ;)

johnB
29-07-2012, 09:14
Picked up a pair of B&W 603 floors standers this morning for £20.....sounds like one bass unit has gone.....but will enjoy taking apart and seeing if I can get them fixed up.
John

sq225917
29-07-2012, 09:43
re the AI valve amp, I think only one of them had the 16 ohm tap, should be easy to search out on Google....

tap tap....?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13905

Bargain.

DSJR
29-07-2012, 17:19
The AI looks like a Series 500 minus the perspex trimmings. Will definitely need re-capping I think and maybe either Guy at Puresound (designer?) or Anthony TD should be top of the list to inspect it. Get it fettled and working again and it's a real delicate smoothy - perfect for highly efficient boxes like Snell's, etc....

DSJR
29-07-2012, 17:22
By the way, the Glenn Miller disc set was, if I'm not mistaken, made from original 78's played on a GL75 (variable speed) and using styli specially made to exactly fit the groove profiles. Amazing how much of the "shellac noise" disappears at a stroke and actually how clear and "vital" these recordings could sound played thus. maybe the shellac doesn't deform when played, like vinyl does.....

Wakefield Turntables
29-07-2012, 17:25
Where the hell are these boot sales where you can pick up valve amps and b&W floor standers??? I did manage to back 12 new records for £6, various Marillion & fish 12", a quire boys LP, and a ASIA LP. I wasnt complaining at less than 40p a record. :D and to make things better I got the lot down from £12 to £6.

Audio Al
29-07-2012, 17:29
By the way, the Glenn Miller disc set was, if I'm not mistaken, made from original 78's played on a GL75 (variable speed) and using styli specially made to exactly fit the groove profiles. Amazing how much of the "shellac noise" disappears at a stroke and actually how clear and "vital" these recordings could sound played thus. maybe the shellac doesn't deform when played, like vinyl does.....

That's interesting to know , not had a chance to listen to it yet but will do next weeks

Thanks

Allen

Audio Al
29-07-2012, 18:14
The AI looks like a Series 500 minus the perspex trimmings. Will definitely need re-capping I think and maybe either Guy at Puresound (designer?) or Anthony TD should be top of the list to inspect it. Get it fettled and working again and it's a real delicate smoothy - perfect for highly efficient boxes like Snell's, etc....

I found Pure Sound , but cant find Antony TD in the search function ? ( Found him now )

Thanks

Allen

hifi_dave
29-07-2012, 18:18
Where the hell are these boot sales where you can pick up valve amps and b&W floor standers???.

I really don't know. I regularly trawl through 4 charity shops in our local town plus visit the occasional car boot sale and various village fetes and I've never found anything I'd have as a gift, let alone pay for..:scratch:

I have spotted a couple of non Hi-Fi items I wanted in our local council dump but they won't sell or even give it away. Apparently, it's due to " elf n safety " If I get injured falling off the kiddies trike or the pine wall cabinet falls on my foot, then they are liable..:doh:

guyhayton
29-07-2012, 18:27
...our local council dump but they won't sell or even give it away. Apparently, it's due to " elf n safety " If I get injured ... they are liable..:doh:

It's funny how I got told something similar a few years ago when I saw an almost brand new bike and television being dropped off by a woman two cars ahead of me at the local tip. The following Sunday guess who I saw flogging said items at the local car boot sale ---> the employee who told me that H&S wouldn't allow him to pass on goods. :steam:

The Grand Wazoo
29-07-2012, 18:49
Just to clear something up, you'll probably find that although the council owns the tips, they are generally operated by contractors.

hifi_dave
29-07-2012, 18:50
I believe it is the ' elf n safety ' aspect plus they are not allowed to buy and sell to the public for several good reasons. I can sort of, see the sense in this but it has been annoying to see the occasional desirable item that I'm not allowed to take or buy.

I guess that the council employees do sell some of the dumped items because they are often stored in empty large containers. Maybe, they have to sort through these items for the council to sell or perhaps they do have a little business on the side. Though, if that's the case, why not sell to me ?

It's one of lifes' mysteries..:scratch:

Audio Al
05-08-2012, 04:17
Off to the boot sale

Fingers crossed :D:D:D:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

Audio Al
05-08-2012, 07:35
Picked up a Technics SL-Q6 TT

and 3 decent LP's

Had a nice walk in the dawn sunrise :)

Macca
05-08-2012, 08:44
Nice one Al - early bird gets the worm - or in this case the turntable :)

Old boy
05-08-2012, 15:05
Amongst a pile of old Elvis and top of the pops 60s tat out pops a Beatles - white album no serial number on cover but really clean cover,nice inner and vinyl mint, cost a £1 Lovely :)

dantheman91
05-08-2012, 15:24
out pops a Beatles - white album no serial number on cover but really clean cover,nice inner and vinyl mint, cost a £1 Lovely :)

Ebay it!!! :eyebrows:

Old boy
05-08-2012, 16:10
No way I bought it to play and enjoy.

Audio Al
23-08-2012, 04:37
Off to the local Thursday Boot , see what I can find :eyebrows:

Report back later :D

Alex_UK
23-08-2012, 07:23
"Today, 05:37"! :eek: Well if the early bird catches the worm... (Your dedication certainly deserves it Allen!) :)

Audio Al
23-08-2012, 07:55
2 nice LP's that's it :doh:

One stall holder had a nice Sony CDP , when I asked how much

" £150 "

as I left to go home he still had it , not surprised

3 badly beaten up TT's , 1 Ariston , 1 Technics , cant remember the name of the last one

The prices of LP's seem to have gone up one chap was asking £6 each :stalks:

another wanted £3 each for not very good quality

But the 2 I got were mint for 50p each :D:D

Nice walk as the dawn was coming up as well :)

Alex_UK
23-08-2012, 08:28
Better than nothing, then - but the chances of real bargains are few and far between these days I suspect, even for early birds! :)

My Father-In-Law goes every week, and I have him checking record players and speakers for me - he knows the names of a few brands I ask him to keep an eye out for (Tannoy, Rogers, Garrard etc.) but he has only ever called me once to say he had found something - and then it wasn't anything "proper" - but you just never know!

Spectral Morn
23-08-2012, 09:28
Went out for a walk around one of my local boot sales today

Bagged some bits and bobs

quite pleased with this :D

And last of all , a

Audio Innovations , Brighton , England Valve amp , sadly no vales :(

I now need to find 9 valves :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1734.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1735.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1736.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1737.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1738.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1739.jpg
Does not have a model number on it ? Anyone recognize it ????

looks like a 700 series http://www.f2s61092.f2s.com/Pics/700-256.jpeg

It is VERY heavy , and it had to be at the furthest end away from my car , I was knackered when I got to the car :doh:

again something of a project , as I don't know if it works

That's definitely an Audio Innovations Series 500 and one of the earlier ones - that means better output transformers - the 16 ohm tap is the give away here.

Eric Anderson designed it and its a cracker of an amplifier. I would have it looked at by a qualified engineer before you even try switching it on. The original valves used were 4 EL34s 2 ECC88 and 3 ECC83s. I would not use EL34s in it as they have a habit of failing quite badly and damaging the amplifier so I would suggest 6L6s or 5881s - safer and they sound better.

You can read more here http://www.borderpatrol.net/aiind.htm and the person you should talk to re getting it brought up to spec/serviced is davidwright12345@talktalk.net whom Border Patrol recommend - they designed various power supplies for Audio Innovations amplifiers. As an alternative - and equally as good - Anthony TD http://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?u=167 a member here can do this as well and having heard one he has done - a friend of mines - he did a fantastic job on it.

Nice find by the way as back when they were last selling they sold for about a £1000 new and when just starting out about £550 to £600 so an excellent find and well worth the walk back to the car - yes they are pretty heavy.

Audio Al
23-08-2012, 11:45
Hi Neil

Thanks for the info

I already sent a email to David Wright and have had a reply

also sent on to anthonyTD with the images , must have frightened him off as I had no reply :D

Not sure its worth restoring as the cost estimated at around £500 is the same cost as buying this http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19816&highlight=Audio+Innovations

and my one is missing the glass / plastic plinth :(

southall-1998
23-08-2012, 18:28
Lovely amp, just get it restored and keep it! Very good sounding amp.

Good Luck :)

Spectral Morn
23-08-2012, 18:39
Hi Neil

Thanks for the info

I already sent a email to David Wright and have had a reply

also sent on to anthonyTD with the images , must have frightened him off as I had no reply :D

Not sure its worth restoring as the cost estimated at around £500 is the same cost as buying this http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19816&highlight=Audio+Innovations

and my one is missing the glass / plastic plinth :(

Bit of a no brainer that one - buy the one for sale in the link. Or allow AnthonyTD to upgrade yours for you, rather than restore it. If the transformers are still ok, if not it could end up being a lot of money. However as I said in the post above a friend of mine had a 500 in need of a repair. Anthony replaced the faulty transformers and did a fair bit more and my friends amp is now much better than my slightly modified 500.

Mr Kipling
23-08-2012, 21:17
Reminds me of an incident I had in Newcastle quite some years ago.

Looking in Richer Sounds' window (as you do), I heard this voice coming towards me. The owner of it stopped beside me and continued his conversation with what I presumed was a friend when suddenly I heard:

"WHAT THE F---'S THAT!!?!!"

"I don't know. . . These audio engineers. . . They're always coming out with some crazy f-----g ideas"

Turning my head I looked to see what the object of astonishment for the voice might be. And yes, indeed, it was an Audio Innovations 500. Obvious the owner of the voice and his mate being young 'uns had never seen a valve amp before. I had a bit of a smile to myself, and then walked away.

If you're thinking of selling it, what might you want for it? Quite fancy an Audioromy 813, but you can't get them now.

Kind Regards,
Stephen.

Spur07
24-08-2012, 08:04
i was working in West London the other day and stumbled upon a mid-week car booty so I stopped off and had a look - found a rather bashed up Quad 405, the seller was after £80, but ended up buying a heathkit integrated for £5.

Audio Al
26-08-2012, 11:44
Today's boot sale bits :D

2 Albums 50p each

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1812.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1813.jpg

8 new sealed audio cassette's for 50p the lot :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1816.jpg
1 wooden Cassette rack that holds 40 cassettes £1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1815.jpg
A electronic cassette demagnetizer ( Free ) never seen one of these before , It has a little circuit board inside and a tiny battery

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1817.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1818.jpg

and lastly a new keyboard for my Mac , boxed and still sealed £10 :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1814.jpg

Not a bad walk around for a couple of hours

Audio Al
02-09-2012, 07:57
Went to the boot today , after 15 mins it started to rain :(

Managed to pick up 12 pre recorded cassette tapes as seen in the photo along with a travel case all for £2 :)

johnB
02-09-2012, 19:43
Managed to pick up half a dozen mint 80s 12" singles and a pile of decent albums this morning including Augustus Pablo and a very early double Krafterk album.
....but from a distance saw two decks, as I got closer I saw the legend Technics on the turntable mats, saw the bit of cardboard that said £20....then saw that they were cheap 1210 copies....never mind, got me excited for a moment.

Wakefield Turntables
02-09-2012, 20:23
i managed to bag a load of marillion 12" singles (8 in total) and three albums today for £6. :)

Audio Al
12-09-2012, 10:30
Boot Sale finds Tuesday 11/9/12

25 record , a mix of LP's ans 12' singles all 50p each

And a George Benson cassette for 40p :D

A nice walk and a good rummage :lol:

Alex_UK
15-09-2012, 21:57
Tears for Fears 'The Hurting' is an absolutely stonking album - but a great haul generally! :)

Audio Al
16-09-2012, 05:46
Woops !

Had a sleep in today :doh:

Off I go , will report back later :)

dantheman91
16-09-2012, 12:00
Sally Oldfield - Water Bearer stunning condition been after this album for a long time.

Depeche Model - speak & spell

On vinyl of course!!

Thats it for today :rolleyes:

joey
16-09-2012, 14:08
Picked up some bits at a jumble sale yesterday and bootsale today :D

Got a Hacker GA500 Centruion for £3 from the jumble sale, but didnt notice it needed a speical power lead which i dont have!
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/joestanton4/IMG_2667.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/joestanton4/IMG_2668.jpg

Went booting today and saw these speakers had a closer looked and noticed the cone in was was perished and the other was missing alltogher! and the chap said oh just take them on, wouldnt of normally but noticed the tweeters and thought they looked like some id sold on ebay last year and gave him 20p! and carted them off to my car,
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/joestanton4/IMG_2664.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/joestanton4/IMG_2665.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/joestanton4/IMG_2669.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/joestanton4/IMG_2670.jpg
took a tweeter out and was correct! but theres no skips there so had the take the whole lot home with me.

I was selling today so near the end people where packing up and had a quick wonder and found these cassettes asked how much 10p each or the whole lot for £2 noticed there was some HF-S90s in there so bought the lot!

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/joestanton4/IMG_2672.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/joestanton4/IMG_2673.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/joestanton4/IMG_2671.jpg

Audio Al
16-09-2012, 14:09
OK here is today's haul :)

Beobloke
17-09-2012, 07:44
Went to a different car boot sale to usual yesterday and spotted a pair of Videotone Minimax 2s and a monster Kenwood KR-9600 receiver, the latter in its original box with manuals.

Sadly the former needed refoaming and the latter's asking price was £85 so I left them both alone!

Audio Al
23-09-2012, 16:14
I broke my own record today as I was AT the boot sale at 05.20 :eek: with my torch in hand

Very few sellers due to the weather forecast

Managed to bag some bargains :D

1st up , was a nice record cleaning arm , it was inside the lid of a beaten up Akai TT , I took it out and agreed to pay £2.50 :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1944_zps167ef1c4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1945_zpsdf38d815.jpg
It has a small brush and a velvet pad

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1947_zps237bcfb0.jpg

also has a ambidextrous finger lift arm , you can swing it out either side of the brush are ( Yes I know you don't need them , but I wanted one :ner: )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1946_zpsb747cffb.jpg

Then I spotted a nice silver 3 pin mains plug and cable ,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1938_zpsc8591bf4.jpg

Asked how much it was and the reply was " sorry not for sale on its own "

I thought :scratch: err , OK whats it for sale with ?

THIS was the reply , and lifted this onto the table

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1939_zpse8fc07a3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1940_zps8bcdd0c0.jpg
As you can see its still got its classic collectors dust on it , but the battery compartment was mint so no leaking batteries
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1943_zps0fe80201.jpg

And the price was £3 , got it home and it works on all 3 bands and the cassette player works a treat as well ;)
Only slight problem is the volume control knob is very crackly / erratic

ANY IDEAS HOW TO SORT THIS OUT ANYONE ????

Last purchase was 28 LP's all mt kind of music for £20 , very clean album covers

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1948_zps3bb57103.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1949_zpsc5c0bff9.jpg

As I was about to leave the stall holder he said " Anything thats not sold today is going to the tip on the way home " :(

Shame some end up with this fate

By the time I got home at 7.30 am it had started to rain :)

spendorman
23-09-2012, 16:38
I remember buying one of those Ferguson units in Arogs in the 70's. Was fairly good. Try Servisol on the volume control

Mr Kipling
23-09-2012, 17:25
I broke my own record today as I was AT the boot sale at 05.20 :eek: with my torch in hand

Very few sellers due to the weather forecast

Managed to bag some bargains :D

1st up , was a nice record cleaning arm , it was inside the lid of a beaten up Akai TT , I took it out and agreed to pay £2.50 :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1944_zps167ef1c4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1945_zpsdf38d815.jpg
It has a small brush and a velvet pad

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1947_zps237bcfb0.jpg

also has a ambidextrous finger lift arm , you can swing it out either side of the brush are ( Yes I know you don't need them , but I wanted one :ner: )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1946_zpsb747cffb.jpg

Then I spotted a nice silver 3 pin mains plug and cable ,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1938_zpsc8591bf4.jpg

Asked how much it was and the reply was " sorry not for sale on its own "

I thought :scratch: err , OK whats it for sale with ?

THIS was the reply , and lifted this onto the table

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1940_zps8bcdd0c0.jpg
As you can see its still got its classic collectors dust on it , but the battery compartment was mint so no leaking batteries
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1943_zps0fe80201.jpg

And the price was £3 , got it home and it works on all 3 bands and the cassette player works a treat as well ;)
Only slight problem is the volume control knob is very crackly / erratic

ANY IDEAS HOW TO SORT THIS OUT ANYONE ????

Last purchase was 28 LP's all mt kind of music for £20 , very clean album covers

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1948_zps3bb57103.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1949_zpsc5c0bff9.jpg

As I was about to leave the stall holder he said " Anything thats not sold today is going to the tip on the way home " :(

Shame some end up with this fate

By the time I got home at 7.30 am it had started to rain :)

Will you be donning a matching purple cravat when you use it?

Audio Al
23-09-2012, 18:35
Will you be donning a matching purple cravat when you use it?

:lol: Now that's a great idea will put that on my want list for boot sale items

:D:D:D

Beobloke
24-09-2012, 09:25
The record cleaning arm is a Philips RC3000. I have one in its original box with all accessories and paid considerably more than £2.50 for it, so you did well!

Audio Al
24-09-2012, 11:50
The record cleaning arm is a Philips RC3000

Thanks for the details , now I know what it is :)

with all accessories

What other accessories were with it ?

:D

StanleyB
24-09-2012, 11:58
The full RC3000 kit looks like the picture below which is of my own RC3000 in pristine condition.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/RC3000.jpg

Beobloke
24-09-2012, 12:01
That's just what I was about to say!

Audio Al
24-09-2012, 12:07
The full RC3000 kit looks like the picture below which is of my own RC3000 in pristine condition.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/RC3000.jpg

VERY nice , thanks for posting the photo :)

Mr Kipling
24-09-2012, 18:04
The record cleaning arm is a Philips RC3000. I have one in its original box with all accessories and paid considerably more than £2.50 for it, so you did well!

Adam (The Man With Cred), the question is: Have you got the matching cravat?

I would imagine Stanley B has. Smoking jacket as well, probably. He seems that type. Monocle as well wouldn't surprise.

The (Mega Rare) Philips RC3000 Smoking Jacket & Cravet.

Audio Al
25-09-2012, 14:33
Update on the radio cassette player

The crackling is now gone :)

I used this spray , lifted off the volume control knob , ( I said KNOB :D )

and sprayed it with this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1950_zpsa83a8497.jpg

From Dave at MCRU

Give it a good rotate session

SORTED :D

Marco
25-09-2012, 14:36
Happiness is a fully-functioning knob :)

Marco.

Audio Al
04-10-2012, 16:05
Boot Sale today

Still a few bargains around :)

18 cassettes worked out at 28p each a £5 the lot :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1986.jpg
4 LP's all nice quality £2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1988.jpg
'
'
'
And a SONY double cassette player £3 :stalks:

I expected it to be faulty when I got it home , but surprise surprise , it works :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1987.jpg

Marco
04-10-2012, 16:38
Keep an eye out for a Nakamichi Dragon, for me. I'll go to £3.50.

Marco.

Macca
04-10-2012, 18:20
Boot Sale today

Still a few bargains around :)

18 cassettes worked out at 28p each a £5 the lot :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1986.jpg
.]

Hey! Some really good stuff there... oh no wait a minute...:lol:

Got a load of old cassettes here you can have for nothing Al. Classical stuff mostly - not sure of condition.

Audio Al
04-10-2012, 18:32
Hey! Some really good stuff there... oh no wait a minute..

Yep

I have to agree :)

The 60's one is good

O hang on whats just happened ,

Elane page Love Hurts has just fallen in the bin :eek:

How did that happen :lol:

will listen to all the others ,

maybe one or two others will have the same fate ;)

synsei
04-10-2012, 18:35
I've got the Barbara Dickson album on vinyl..... Damn, I just said that out loud, didn't I? :eyebrows:

Macca
04-10-2012, 18:40
I've got the Barbara Dickson album on vinyl..... Damn, I just said that out loud, didn't I? :eyebrows:

I'm afraid so. But don't worry Dave - am pretty sure it is only a criminal offence if you actually play it.

synsei
04-10-2012, 18:43
Phew!!! :D

Beechwoods
04-10-2012, 19:15
The Roberta Flack album... 'Killing Me Softly' is beautiful and sounds great on vinyl. I have that album.

Audio Al
05-10-2012, 01:48
The Roberta Flack album... 'Killing Me Softly' is beautiful and sounds great on vinyl. I have that album.

Not had time to play it yet , hopefully over the weekend

Okki nokki it then sit back , sounds on , beer , and maybe a Ruby Murry :)

Audio Al
05-10-2012, 01:53
Got a load of old cassettes here you can have for nothing Al. Classical stuff mostly - not sure of condition.

That's nice of you :)

Can you post them if I cover the cost ?

StanleyB
05-10-2012, 05:26
I 2nd that. I actually use the CD for R&D. The recording exhibits great depth and detail with emotional but firm female vocals.

Macca
05-10-2012, 07:42

That's nice of you :)

Can you post them if I cover the cost ?

Yes if you like I can sort next Wednesday when I am off work. Pm me your address.

Audio Al
05-10-2012, 15:36
Yes if you like I can sort next Wednesday when I am off work. Pm me your address.

:eek: INCOMING :eek:

:)

Macca
05-10-2012, 18:07
Replied

Audio Al
06-10-2012, 12:48
School Boot Sale just around the corner from me , popped in for a quick look and found 3 items :)

1st one is this LP 50p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1989.jpg

Then a Michael Jackson Dangerous CD £1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1991.jpg

Then a Mariah Carey CD 50p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_1990.jpg

Alex_UK
06-10-2012, 14:34
Well the LP is good! ;)

Audio Al
06-10-2012, 14:38
Well the LP is good! ;)

Agreed :D I only purchased the other 2 to make it look " worth going " :lol:

Audio Al
06-10-2012, 14:52

AGREED , It is rather special ,

have it playing now after cleaning ,

very relaxing and laid back :cool:

Beechwoods
06-10-2012, 19:52
The original album from which that track comes has a really nice die-cut sleeve in the shape of a grand piano lid. Nice if you can find it in good condition...

http://www.shugarecords.com/images/products/large/4206d68b-46c7-4c28-bed6-c22fab355bd7-0.JPG

Audio Al
06-10-2012, 19:55
The original album from which that track comes has a really nice die-cut sleeve in the shape of a grand piano lid. Nice if you can find it in good condition...

http://www.shugarecords.com/images/products/large/4206d68b-46c7-4c28-bed6-c22fab355bd7-0.JPG

Now in my want list :D

Audio Al
07-10-2012, 14:56
Not much about today not many private sellers , all in bed :D

22 LPs £5

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2014-1.jpg
A pair of Pioneer Monitor 10 headphones

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2013.jpg

only one side works ;) , still only £2

Audio Al
14-10-2012, 11:24
Went very late today 11.00am :mental:

Most stall holders were packing away so had a very quick fly around and only managed this item

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2023.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2025.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2026.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2027.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2029.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2030.jpg
No lid or cabling , but the seller assured me " It Works " :lol:

We will see

Mind you for £5 I don't mind if it does not work ;)

joey
14-10-2012, 18:11
Went to 3 boot sales today! first one very muddy nearly got the car stuck leaving

only bought 1 cd 1 dvd and a set of 6 new blank tapes !

dantheman91
14-10-2012, 18:14
Pair of Wharfedale 505.2 for £1

Audio Al
21-10-2012, 10:12
Slim pickings :(

Cold wet miserable , I did have a few finds :)

6 Cassette's for 25p each
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2041.jpg

Only a few LP's to flick through , only one That I liked is this Wham ! ( No stick please , I think George Michel is a great vocalist :) )

Its a double album , £1 :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2042.jpg

The other album is playing now , Both cleaned on the RCM first , sounds really clean , all the classic tracks ;)

Beechwoods
21-10-2012, 14:15
I've got that, though on CD. 'Last Christmas (Pudding Mix)' is the highlight :)

Alex_UK
21-10-2012, 14:23
( No stick please , I think George Michel is a great vocalist :) )

That's because he IS a great vocalist... :)

Nothing wrong with a bit of Wham! - though Listen Without Prejudice Vol.1 is the best thing he's done in my opinion.

Rare Bird
21-10-2012, 14:27
Went very late today 11.00am :mental:

Most stall holders were packing away so had a very quick fly around and only managed this item

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2023.jpg

Mind you for £5 I don't mind if it does not work ;)

Nice Al.. Here goes, i get all my Sony service kits from Dave

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-TC-530-TC-540-TC-630-Belts-Repair-Manual-Tape-Recorder-Reel-to-TC-540-630-/110960114088?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item19d5bcf9a8

If it slows down on wind the motor run cap needs changing, mine did..

Looks like you need some Spool retainers to use it upright position..

Audio Al
28-10-2012, 12:40
Todays Booty :)

55 LP's including some 12" , everything from Mendelssohn to 50 cent

ALL FOR £4 :stalks:

UN BLOODY BELIEVABLE :stalks:

I LOVE Boot Sales :D:D:D:D:D

This was at about 11.30 when everyone was packing up to go home

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2047.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2048.jpg

Tarzan
28-10-2012, 12:44
Which booty Al?:)

Audio Al
28-10-2012, 13:02
Which booty Al?:)

Its the one at §±*@2 :lol::lol: ;);)

Tarzan
28-10-2012, 13:35
Got ya.

Audio Al
28-10-2012, 13:59
After the heavy cull on today's Booty ( LP's )

I am left with 31 good playable LP's

Happy with that for £4

Some were in a right state ( Bin Fodder ) ;)

Mr Kipling
28-10-2012, 14:24
Todays Booty :)

55 LP's including some 12" , everything from Mendelssohn to 50 cent

ALL FOR £4 :stalks:

UN BLOODY BELIEVABLE :stalks:

I LOVE Boot Sales :D:D:D:D:D

This was at about 11.30 when everyone was packing up to go home

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2047.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2048.jpg
Is that ELO and Phil Collins?

Still got a VHS player? If so, look out for Roy Orbison's "A Black And White Night". Spectacular sound quality.

Audio Al
28-10-2012, 14:27
Is that ELO and Phil Collins? Yes :)

Still got a VHS player? If so, look out for Roy Orbison's "A Black And White Night". Spectacular sound quality.

Yes still have 2 VHS players :D

Will keep an eye out for the Roy Orbison's "A Black And White Night"

Thanks ;)

Audio Al
11-11-2012, 06:27
Just off out to my first Boot Sale in weeks :D

NO RAIN , YIP EEEEEE :lol:

Marco
11-11-2012, 07:34
Keep an eye out for me for that Nakamichi Dragon - remember, I'll go to a fiver!

Marco.

Rare Bird
11-11-2012, 09:11
Keep an eye out for me for that Nakamichi Dragon - remember, I'll go to a fiver!

Marco.

Yer doan want wanna them toy town vu's see

Mr Kipling
11-11-2012, 09:31
If you want, I can send you a dvd copy of the Roy Orbison video. I have the proper dvd, but the sound quality just isn't as good. I've just put it on my Archos media player and using the Aiwa 151 'phones the sound quality is just MAD!!

It won't cost you anything.

Kind Regards,
Stephen

Audio Al
11-11-2012, 10:12
Todays Boot Sale was very worthwhile going to :D

First up was 2 of these

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2057.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2058.jpg
£10 each in the end he wanted £30 the pair ;)

I NEED something like this as I have run out of sockets :lol:

Next 16 audio cassettes ay 20p each

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2059.jpg

then 80 yes 80 LP's for £25 :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2060.jpg

including some very clean " NOW " albums
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2061.jpg

and this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2062.jpg

I do love a bit of Chuck Berry :)

And the GEM of the day will be tested first before I post and photos so please look back tonight :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

dantheman91
11-11-2012, 21:48
We're Waiting!!

Jonboy
11-11-2012, 22:13
He's probably blown all electrics that's why he's off line :uhho:

Audio Al
11-11-2012, 22:18
Not had time to test it today but it does power up ,

I am off to work now :( so unable to fully test it till tomorrow

As they say " all good things are worth waiting for " ;)

Marco
11-11-2012, 22:30
I am off to work now...

Work now, at this time? What do you do, daftee? :)

Marco.

Audio Al
12-11-2012, 12:23
Work now,

Yes , as i just said

at this time?

Same as above , another yes , I know you are in Wales but surly you are aware of night work

What do you do

Need to know basis , You don't need to know ;)

daftee?

The only reference I can find to this ? is as follows

" Daftee

A 'Daftee' is an insult aimed at them who are not in the team. Often used by people who go by the name, Brad, Nick or Richard. Also is commonly used as a comeback to the insult 'Dafter'. "

I do hope its not an insult aimed at me because I work nights ?

dantheman91
12-11-2012, 12:31
Hey dude,

You still have not said what the GEM was that you brought

Audio Al
12-11-2012, 12:34
You still have not said what the GEM was that you brought

Just out of bed 1 hour ago , Having a cup a coffee then on to testing and photos or maybe a video :D

Today IS the day for the reveal :lol:

Lodgesound
12-11-2012, 12:41
I bet it's a reel to reel....

Audio Al
12-11-2012, 12:43
I bet it's a reel to reel.

No :)

Marco
12-11-2012, 12:54
The only reference I can find to this ? is as follows

" Daftee

A 'Daftee' is an insult aimed at them who are not in the team. Often used by people who go by the name, Brad, Nick or Richard. Also is commonly used as a comeback to the insult 'Dafter'. "

I do hope its not an insult aimed at me because I work nights ?

LOL, don't be daft (pun intended!) I call everyone on here a daftee, including myself sometimes! :D

I thought you'd been here long enough to have picked up on that...

Anyway, as for the rest, I was only, as American gangstas say, 'breaking your balls'. You'll get used to it, daftee (ask any of the other regulars) ;)

Marco.

Audio Al
12-11-2012, 14:19
OK , I have now had time to fire this up and test it :)

Result , IT WORKS :D

Sony STR-6055 From 1971 ( The days when SONY made quality items ) , Its a beast in size and weight 40 lbs and the condition is remarkable for the age

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2063.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2064.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2065.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2066.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2067.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2068.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2069.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2070.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2071.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2072.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2073.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2074.jpg

I am well impressed with it as it has a phono stage , 1 aux and a tape input
Looks like I now have a system in the bedroom :D

Wake up and flick on the Cassette player or radio or maybe the LP of the day before I get out of bed

Now all I need is a Teas-maid :lol:

I now need to see if I can find a link to the spec of the unit as there are some things I don't understand on the controlls and it says 200watts , cant see that being correct , more like 35 / 45 watts

When at the boot sale a chap arrived in a van and was mobbed by the Nigerians all buying the old computer monitors and modern hi fi , they were stepping over the beauty :stalks:

I asked how much , The seller paused for a second and said £10

I now have whiplash in my wrist ( No not what you think ;)) getting the money out quickly before someone else decided to put in a offer :)

It has split volume levels / bass and treble for each left and right speaker

Just found some details

Sony STR-6055 receiver. Rated at 30 watts RMS into 8 ohms and 40 watts RMS into 4 ohms

Shipping Weight: 40 Pounds :stalks: size 24 x 20 x 12

Ooo , the feel of the switches all sort of clunky and heavy and the feel of the knobs ( dont say it )
The unit oozes Quality

Love it

Beobloke
12-11-2012, 14:34
Nice find!!

The quoted "200W" on the back panel refers to the mains power consumption of the unit. To relate this to output power from the amplifier you need to consider that a Class A/B amplifier is only about 50% efficient, and thus 100W is the maximum that it can give at full pelt from the 200W it's taking from the mains. Divide this further in two as there are two channels, giving you a figure of 50W per channel and the result is that the quoted spec of 40W sounds about right as this will be at a sensible distortion figure that won't fry tweeters.

Which controls don't you understand?

Audio Al
12-11-2012, 14:39
Which controls don't you understand?

Hi Adam

The Speakers remote ?

High filter ?

Mode reverse ?

Just the above 3 don't mean a lot to the uneducated me :)

Firebottle
12-11-2012, 16:24
Hi Al, nice find!
The 'speakers remote' is just another way of saying 2nd set of speakers.
Sony are assuming that the 2nd pair will be 'remote'.
The 'high filter' is just a scratch filter/low pass filter to cut the high frequency noise, possibly on a weak radio station.

I'm guessing the 'reverse mode' just reverses Left and Right channels judging by the other markings on the mode switch.
Cheers,
Alan

The Grand Wazoo
12-11-2012, 19:01
Very nice find for a tenner, well done you.
They're really nicely built things. Are all the switches and pots nice & quiet and do all of the lights work?

I'm guessing the 'reverse mode' just reverses Left and Right channels judging by the other markings on the mode switch.

That's correct.

Macca
12-11-2012, 19:03
Lovely find - and the condition looks near mint.

synsei
12-11-2012, 21:06
Aye, they don't make 'em like that anymore. Al, if you come across a Sony TA73 amp on your travels would you be kind enough to furnish the car booty person with my phone number (if so, I will pm you)? I've been after one of these for ages (I used to own one but sold it back in the 1980's :doh:). I now own the matching tuner (ST73) and it is pining for its partner... :D

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa50/barcelona_vintage/guitar%20show/hi%20fi/watkins%20copycat/HIFI%20STEREO%20SOLID%20STATE%20AMPS/PICT0036.jpg

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/SonyST73Tuner.jpg

Audio Al
02-12-2012, 05:39
Al, if you come across a Sony TA73 amp on your travels would you be kind enough to furnish the car booty person with my phone number (if so, I will pm you)?

OK Dave , will do , you can PM me your number if you want , may even ring you just for a chat :)

Audio Al
02-12-2012, 05:41
Its 5.40 am

so its

BOOT SALE TIME

Woop woop

Some serious ice scraping to do first :mental:

dantheman91
02-12-2012, 07:37
Too Fooking COLD so i did'nt bother.

:eyebrows:

Marco
02-12-2012, 07:48
He's keen, isn't he? Only the maddest of mad daftees would venture anywhere far from a nice warm bed this morning... Typing this on my laptop, in my scratcher, wrapped up in a thick duvet, covered with a vintage Welsh wool blanket, and the electric blanket on! Nice 'n' cosy :)

I'll be thinking of you, Al!

Marco.

Firebottle
02-12-2012, 07:55
Happy hunting, no doubt he's already there :eyebrows:

Audio Al
02-12-2012, 09:32
Back from a VERY cold boot sale
1st time I have had to scrape the ice off when leaving the sale :stalks:

1st up a very 60 / 70 LP case in very good condition complete with 20 LP's all for £3 :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2143.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2144.jpg
Next various LP's all at 50p each total 24
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2145.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2146.jpg
Lastly , bit of luck this as I was looking for a small anglepoise type lamp for above my TT , came across the Ikea one for £4 , they are £17 new :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2147.jpg

Total spend £19 and a invigorating walk :D

Roll on next week :)

Marco
02-12-2012, 10:33
Nice one, Al. I like the record case very much, and the anglepoise light is cool. I have one which is very similar :)

Btw, you mention ice. What temperature is it where you are now? The reason I ask is that there's no ice here, up in North Wales, where the current temperature is 5°C...

Marco.

Puffin
02-12-2012, 10:54
Back from a VERY cold boot sale
1st time I have had to scrape the ice off when leaving the sale :stalks:

1st up a very 60 / 70 LP case in very good condition complete with 20 LP's all for £3 :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2143.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2144.jpg
Next various LP's all at 50p each total 24
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2145.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2146.jpg
Lastly , bit of luck this as I was looking for a small anglepoise type lamp for above my TT , came across the Ikea one for £4 , they are £17 new :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/IMG_2147.jpg

Total spend £19 and a invigorating walk :D

Roll on next week :)

Just for a bit of fun I would like to guess the tracks on the Black Explosion album. I don't have this,never seen it before, nor have I googled it, but it is from the era when I had every significant (and not so significant) soul record on the planet!

Aretha - I say a little prayer
Main Ingredient - Just Don't Want to Be Lonely
Love Unlimited Orchestra - Love's Theme
Isaac Hayes - Shaft
New York City - I'm Doin Fine Now
First Choice - Ladies (something or other?)
The O'Jays - Back Stabbers
Limmie and Family Cooking - You can Do Magic
O C Smith - ?
The Whispers - ?
Barry White - Can't Get Enough of Your Love
The Delfonics - Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time
Billy Paul - Me & Mrs Jones
Gladys Knight & The Pips - Midnight Train To Georgia
Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes of the Broken Hearted
The Dells - ?
The Stylistics - Betcha By Golly Wow
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - If You Don't Know Me By Now
Wilson Pickett - Knock On Wood
Tony Clarke - The Entertainer
Sly & The Family Stone - Dance to The Music
Johnny Nash - I can See Clearly Now
Jimmy Helms - Gonna Make You An Offer
Johnny Johnson & The Bandwagon -

Obviously there are many other tracks they could be, but how did I do?

Mr Kipling
02-12-2012, 11:03
He's keen, isn't he? Only the maddest of mad daftees would venture anywhere far from a nice warm bed this morning... Typing this on my laptop, in my scratcher, wrapped up in a thick duvet, covered with a vintage Welsh wool blanket, and the electric blanket on! Nice 'n' cosy :)

I'll be thinking of you, Al!

Marco.

You big jessie!!

Want to get up here. It's nethering!!

Translated that means it's very cold!

Marco
02-12-2012, 11:16
Lol.... I lived in Scotland, mate, for 35 years, so I know all about the rain and cold! :trust:

;)

Marco.

Audio Al
02-12-2012, 11:35
What temperature is it where you are now

According to my car it was -5 :)

Sorts the men from the boys ;)

Marco
02-12-2012, 11:41
Lol, indeed... What I was getting at, though, was so much for the oft-mentioned adage of 'the frozen north'... It's positively tropical up here compared to what you guys are getting now 'darn sarf'!! ;)

Marco.

Mr Kipling
02-12-2012, 11:45
Electiric blanket!! Electric blanket!! Trappings of the super-rich.

I have to make do with me raccoon hat and thermal longjohns. Do cut a bit of a dash though, even if I say so myself!

Audio Al
02-12-2012, 11:58
Just for a bit of fun I would like to guess the tracks on the Black Explosion album. I don't have this,never seen it before, nor have I googled it, but it is from the era when I had every significant (and not so significant) soul record on the planet!

Aretha - I say a little prayer Soulville
Main Ingredient - Just Don't Want to Be Lonely Everybody plays the fool
Love Unlimited Orchestra - Love's Theme Correct
Isaac Hayes - Shaft Correct
New York City - I'm Doin Fine Now Correct
First Choice - Ladies (something or other?) Armed and extremely dangerous
The O'Jays - Back Stabbers Love train
Limmie and Family Cooking - You can Do Magic A walking miracle
O C Smith - ? La La peace song
The Whispers - ? A mother for my children
Barry White - Can't Get Enough of Your Love , Honey please cant you see
The Delfonics - Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time Correct
Billy Paul - Me & Mrs Jones Brown Baby
Gladys Knight & The Pips - Midnight Train To Georgia Ive got use my imagination
Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes of the Broken Hearted Tell me what you want
The Dells - ? Sing a rainbow
The Stylistics - Betcha By Golly Wow i'm stone in love with you
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - If You Don't Know Me By Now The love I lost
Wilson Pickett - Knock On Wood Soft soul boogie woogie
Tony Clarke - The Entertainer Landslide
Sly & The Family Stone - Dance to The Music Correct
Johnny Nash - I can See Clearly Now There are more questions than answers
Jimmy Helms - Gonna Make You An Offer correct
Johnny Johnson & The Bandwagon - Blame it on the pony express

Obviously there are many other tracks they could be, but how did I do?

now lets see how many you were correct with :D

6 out of 24 :clap:

Marco
02-12-2012, 12:10
Electiric blanket!! Electric blanket!! Trappings of the super-rich.

I best not mention the butler, then!

I have to make do with me raccoon hat and thermal longjohns. Do cut a bit of a dash though, even if I say so myself!

Aye, even sexier than Grizzly Adams!!

ZeXt7tkLI4U

:D

Marco.

Mr Kipling
02-12-2012, 12:11
Well, you can't really escape simple geographics. You only have to do a Google search to see who gets what.

Puffin
02-12-2012, 14:30
now lets see how many you were correct with :D

6 out of 24 :clap:

Crap! what a poor show. And I thought I would walk it:lol:

Thanks very much for your effort in responding.

Audio Al
02-12-2012, 15:32
Thanks very much for your effort in responding.

;)

Audio Al
09-02-2013, 19:19
Well

My boot sale season ended 19th 12 2012 :( last one till next year

Will start a new thread BOOT SALE 2013 for next years season :D

ronjakcs65
15-02-2013, 17:14
Hi Al,You lucky sod,where do you keep all youre bootsale treasure?yo must live in Aconverted barn ,have fun with all that music.

Ron

Audio Al
15-02-2013, 21:53
Hi Ron

I have listened to all the music :)

I have been ruthless in the cull of substandard LPs

I think my best item of the year was the Sony integrated amp
It looks feels and works great :)

I only started going to boot sales as a means of some exercise , a long walk and being a vinyl addict you always find lps cassettes and the od hi fi item

All cheap as chips so its a win win

I am going to 2 boot sales this weekend ;)

Barry
31-08-2015, 19:03
Picked up at Sunday’s boot sale:

Bob Newhart – ‘The Best of Bob Newhart’

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518FxBSaxHL._SY355_.jpg

Alan Price – ‘The Alan Price Collection’

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91A%2BlDJvxsL._SX355_.jpg

Elkie Brooks – ‘Pearls II’ and ‘Live and Learn’

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415JHB5PCCL.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41voVRYTY8L._SY355_.jpg

Joan Armatrading – ‘Track Record’

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41i41laTYDL._SY355_.jpg

and

Dave Brubeck – ‘Time Further Out’

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ni0%2BVVhNL._SY355_.jpg

All in perfect condition – not bad for 20p apiece.