PDA

View Full Version : Album Club 5/6/12:Slovo - Todo Cambia

Spectral Morn
04-06-2012, 23:35
http://brixtown.com/shared/images/covers/brx007.jpg

Slovo – Todo Cambria

Record Label Brixtown 2007 BR007

Spotify Link http://open.spotify.com/album/6YeWrguUQ75OmhxJM8cgLP

I came to Slovo via the DT8 Project and the wonderful voice of Andrea Britton who had joined Darren Tate to provide the vocals for the Perfect World album. As you do, or I do anyway I was so taken with her voice that I checked out her other work and I found Slovo.

Slovo are an interesting group that mix urban, dance, electronica and world music that was started by Faithless guitarist Dave Randall back in 2002 with their first album Nommo (available as a CD and SACD). The focus of this Music Club is their second and sadly only recent release the (2007) album Todo Cambia.

The album is a mix of sharp social observations and some political ideas that I don’t personally subscribe to. However their music is in my opinion is wonderful and well recorded.

I think this quote sums them and Todo Cambia up well….

‘'a wonderful album that is both stridently polemical and determinedly celebratory.'

There are links to the songs on their MySpace page http://www.myspace.com/4slovo

You Tube links to some tracks off the album

The One

/LBwC7DfzLDU

Flags

AoFBxtvhidg

Spun Out remix

Rjt2WlW_ctw

Dave Randall http://www.randallmusic.net/
Slovo http://www.myspace.com/4slovo
Slovo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovo_(band)
Andrea Britton http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Britton
Darren Tate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Tate
Brixtown http://brixtown.com/discography.php

DT8 Project Winter featuring Andrea Britton This is the song that I fell in love with, and her voice.

ptencF2NdJM

Alex_UK
05-06-2012, 08:54
Looking forward to this one Neil - I know Darren Tate/DT8 reasonably well and know the Andrea Britton track well, but I don't have this album. Cheers!

Spectral Morn
05-06-2012, 09:01
Looking forward to this one Neil - I know Darren Tate/DT8 reasonably well and know the Andrea Britton track well, but I don't have this album. Cheers!

Interested to see what you and others think Alex

John
05-06-2012, 09:09
I think this will be a difficult one for me again I actually do not mind the poltics side but as everyone knows I am not really the greatest dance music fan but I will give it a go

Spectral Morn
05-06-2012, 09:47
I think this will be a difficult one for me again I actually do not mind the poltics side but as everyone knows I am not really the greatest dance music fan but I will give it a go

Hi John

Slovo are certainly electronica/dance in vibe, but there is I feel a lot more to them than that. Thank you for giving it ago.

MartinT
05-06-2012, 10:52
I'm sorry, Neil, I really tried with an open mind to listen to this and get something from it. The rap in track 1 was not a good start and by the time I got to the politics and more rap in track 4 I'd frankly had enough. Some of the beats are interesting but not in a way that would make me want to sit alert in front of my system listening to it. 2/10 for me (although you seem to have missed out the numbers in the voting).

Tim
05-06-2012, 12:41
I think I'm going to have to turn off my Spotify 'scrobbling' feature for this one :eek:, but I will give it a go.

John
05-06-2012, 13:46
I tried to give it a go but by the fourth track found myself fast forwarding I am not going to vote as this is not really something I tend to listen too
Sorry Neil I did try
I am sure a lot of people will like this

Spectral Morn
05-06-2012, 17:59
Fair enough, thanks for having a listen guys.

Ummm yes the numbers are missing no idea how that happened :doh: Now rectified....

Bazil
06-06-2012, 19:55
Pretty good, nice chilled out vibe going on, I'll give it 5.

Tim
06-06-2012, 20:43
Not really my thing, but I gave it a go. I really don't like anything urban or street and anything like Bobby Whiskers is something I cannot listen too. But I did enjoy (sort of) The One and On a Bus.

I can only give it 2 unfortunately, 1 point for each of those tracks. I do like Andrea's voice though ;)

Reid Malenfant
06-06-2012, 20:58
Hmmm, had to give it 6/10 :) Couldn't give it any higher as it means I'd have to buy it & I'm not sure I'll do that - but I enjoyed it!

It's a weird combo as far as I can tell, part Faithless, Eminem but without the profanities, Saint Etienne & the Sneaker Pimps thrown in for good measure :eyebrows:

Not sure where the political thing came from (with a good few tracks) & can't think of something similar I'd compare it to, but enjoyable none the less.

Only other comment I have is that the only track featuring Rihanna appears to be rated above the others, what a shame that there are so many sheeple out there :rolleyes:

Spectral Morn
06-06-2012, 21:02
Hmmm, had to give it 6/10 :) Couldn't give it any higher as it means I'd have to buy it & I'm not sure I'll do that - but I enjoyed it!

It's a weird combo as far as I can tell, part Faithless, Eminem but without the profanities, Saint Etienne & the Sneaker Pimps thrown in for good measure :eyebrows:

Not sure where the political thing came from (with a good few tracks) & can't think of something similar I'd compare it to, but enjoyable none the less.

Only other comment I have is that the only track featuring Rihanna appears to be rated above the others, what a shame that there are so many sheeple out there :rolleyes:

That's a pretty good summation Mark, spot on in fact. I was beginning to think this one was going to crash and burn.

Reid Malenfant
06-06-2012, 21:09
That's a pretty good summation Mark, spot on in fact. I was beginning to think this one was going to crash and burn.
I'm sure my next one will :rfl:

I guess it just depends on what you have heard previously & happen to like. I have a good few albums of all those I mentioned, & while they aren't exactly related I can enjoy them all a lot when I'm in the right mood :)

That's how I tend to listen to stuff, I pick what I want to enhance how I feel at the time :scratch:

I hope I'm not the only one...

The Grand Wazoo
06-06-2012, 21:41
Hehehe............urban, dance, electronica and world music......genre spotting, don't you just love it!
I wouldn't know the difference between dance, urban or electronica if they bit me on the bum and handed me a piece of paper that said "I am dance/urban/electronica" (delete where appl.)
However I know the difference between what I like & what I don't & unfortunately, I don't like this. As I try to do, I gave it a fair crack o' the whip, but it just seems rather soulless & contrived to my ears.

2/10 - Poor: That pretty much sums it up for me, I'm afraid.

Spectral Morn
06-06-2012, 21:50
Hehehe............urban, dance, electronica and world music......genre spotting, don't you just love it!
I wouldn't know the difference between dance, urban or electronica if they bit me on the bum and handed me a piece of paper that said "I am dance/urban/electronica" (delete where appl.)
However I know the difference between what I like & what I don't & unfortunately, I don't like this. As I try to do, I gave it a fair crack o' the whip, but it just seems rather soulless & contrived to my ears.

2/10 - Poor: That pretty much sums it up for me, I'm afraid.

No worries Chris

The Grand Wazoo
06-06-2012, 21:51
Thanks for nominating it though Neil, I'm always happy to try something new.

RichB
08-06-2012, 19:03
A 7 from me, like what I'm hearing and i think a few of the tracks will grow on me. Not what I would have gone out of my way to find but now I have I'm enjoying it, nothing to offend the ears here.

Mrs B also didnt complain when I put it on so it gets her approval too.

Thanks for recommending.

Audioman
11-06-2012, 16:08
A trendy mish mash of r & b, rap, hip hop etc. All rather contrived but a few melodic tracks elevate it from 1 to 3/10 for me. Not something I would choose to listen to and the fake patois voiced rap tracks are realy annoying.

aquapiranha
12-06-2012, 21:44
I approached this one with a little trepidation, but I should not have worried! Far from being the usual mess that I find 'rap' music to be, this is wholly better. I will have to check this one out a bit more, thanks Neil. ( 7 from me)

keiths
13-06-2012, 09:59
Well, after reading the description and some of the comments, I assumed I would hate this - but I don't :)

I'm not too keen on the tracks where the bloke talks over the music (can't someone inform him that the consonant bigraph "th" and the letter "f" differ in pronounciation). but found most of the other tracks quite enjoyable.

5/10

Welder
16-08-2012, 11:07
I thought this was okay. I also rate Andrea Britton and naturally, I like dance music.
I wouldn't buy it; the style just isn't distinctive enough to lift it above a lot of the other dance music in this vein and I'm not keen on the male vocalists voice.

5/10

Barry
16-08-2012, 15:31
3/10 "Ummmm Average"

There are dozens of groups that sound just like this one. Many of the tracks would make good soundtracks to advertisments - that's how anodyne they sound.

Sorry Neil! :(

[PS Why is the poll closed?]