PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard from Richard at Vantage Audio lately?

taut
30-05-2012, 12:58
Hi,

I have been trying to get hold of Richard for a month (he is repairing something for me) without success.

Has anyone heard from him lately? I'm a bit concerned to see if he is OK.

Cheers,

Aidan

HoraceW
30-05-2012, 13:31
Had a message from his son not long back that Richard has had some family health issues to deal with and they shut the office at short notice but expect to open up again after 04/06/12. Gist of message is that he should be back on track in June and will get the backlog sorted and is really sorry for this.

taut
30-05-2012, 15:53
Hi Horace, that's good to know!

Kind regards,

Aidan

Theo
31-05-2012, 13:32
Just spoken to him: yes, all back to normal from the 4th June.

HoraceW
31-05-2012, 16:17
Hi Theo & nice to see another Trio L-07D user. How's your one going? Don't think there is much out there to beat them for performance. Had a few mods and upgrades done over the years. Sorry for thread drift.

Spectral Morn
31-05-2012, 16:55
Hi,

I have been trying to get hold of Richard for a month (he is repairing something for me) without success.

Has anyone heard from him lately? I'm a bit concerned to see if he is OK.

Cheers,

Aidan

Yes I have exchanged emails with him.

MCRU
31-05-2012, 21:47
TBH Richard is a top bloke but he is a bit like me, he takes on too much! He visited me a while ago with his son and his knowledge of TT's is astonishing. Especially the Techy. I gave him my platter to bond a copper layer on and it came back looking like new, astounding was the word I would use. Took a while to get it done but I always say anything worthwhile is worth waiting for.

Marco
31-05-2012, 22:32
All the best to Richard. Glad he's back in the zone again! :)

Marco.

taut
27-08-2012, 09:07
Just to resurrect this thread, I cannot get hold of Richard at all again.

I managed to get through to him on the phone just after the Jubilee, and told that my Accuphase would be fixed ASAP.

Since then over two months have passed without contact and despite trying almost daily for the last several weeks, I have been unable to reach him.

It has now been more than a year that my preamp has been at Vantage. I would like to chalk this down to experience and get it back now in whatever state it is in - if anyone could supply me with alternative contact details for Ricahrd by PM, or pass on this message if you are in contact with him, I would much appreciate it.

Cheers.

JazzBones
27-08-2012, 11:02
Just to resurrect this thread, I cannot get hold of Richard at all again.

I managed to get through to him on the phone just after the Jubilee, and told that my Accuphase would be fixed ASAP.

Since then over two months have passed without contact and despite trying almost daily for the last several weeks, I have been unable to reach him.

It has now been more than a year that my preamp has been at Vantage. I would like to chalk this down to experience and get it back now in whatever state it is in - if anyone could supply me with alternative contact details for Ricahrd by PM, or pass on this message if you are in contact with him, I would much appreciate it.

Cheers.

Aidan, Chris@Panteg has had dealings with Vantage and I gather he is quite friendly with Richard (he's on this forum) why not pm him for info?

For what its worth, I sent off two emails to Richard but never got replies, that was some time ago.

chris@panteg
27-08-2012, 17:05
Hi , I have been trying to contact Richard for some time without any reply ? Something must be wrong , will keep trying though .

synsei
27-08-2012, 17:12
Hi Chris,

I sent Richard an email nearly three weeks ago requesting some details regarding a bearing and platter for the Techie and I've yet to hear back from him. I hope he is okay... :eyebrows:

jostber
27-08-2012, 17:16
Have you tried both these email addresses?

info@vantageaudio.com
sales@vantageaudio.com

synsei
27-08-2012, 17:19
I used the top addy IIRC Jostein, I'll try the lower one. Cheers ;)

taut
06-09-2012, 11:24
Thanks for the updates. I have had no luck by phone or on any email address I am aware of, just hoping to get my preamp back in the end!

realysm42
06-09-2012, 11:32
If I were in your shoes, I'd try a different path; perhaps you can find him on FB or someone that knows him?

Big Vern
13-10-2012, 09:49
Apologies for resurrecting this thread...

Has anyone managed to make contact with Richard recently? I have been contacted by an overseas customer keen to track him down for an update on some repairs...he's also got one of my turntables and I'm becoming increasingly worried...he's vanished!

He's a lovely chap and I do hope all is well...just a tad concerned now!

Thanks

sq225917
13-10-2012, 09:54
I think we should assume a personal visit is in order.

Mileend
13-10-2012, 10:55
I am in the same boat. Richard has an SP15 of mine since March. I last spoke to him in early June when he was hoping to sort out all his backlog. Since then not a squeak. Not looking good !

chris@panteg
13-10-2012, 11:01
Somebody stated on VE that he or a very close family member had taken seriously ill , but it's very vague ? Must be some truth in that though , I would have thought that Richard Jnr would have said something ? He keeps an eye on the forums , and looks after the vantage web page .

Big Vern
13-10-2012, 11:30
I am in the same boat. Richard has an SP15 of mine since March. I last spoke to him in early June when he was hoping to sort out all his backlog. Since then not a squeak. Not looking good !

He has my L-07D and the bits from an Onkyo PX-100M, which makes the latter useless and the former a distant memory! Richard offers a (pretty much) unique service and I don't mind waiting and, as I have mentioned, he is a lovely, genuine guy...it's the fact that I'm completely in the dark that is causing the concern. I do hope that he is okay...

Thanks for the responses - if I manage to make contact, I'll report back - would appreciate it if anyone else manages to speak with Richard or Ritchie they let me/us know...:)

Thanks, Guys...

synsei
13-10-2012, 12:03
There must be somebody in the industry who knows what's going on. The current situation is so out of character it is of great concern to me. I don't know where Vantage Audio is based but maybe if one of our members lives close to their premises it might be worth popping round to find out what is going on.

topoxforddoc
13-10-2012, 12:23
The website is down now. Any more news. Jus fell c

topoxforddoc
13-10-2012, 12:24
The website is down now. Any more news. Concerned about you guys with TTs at Richards's.

Audioman
13-10-2012, 12:39
Web hosting company appears to have suspended the site. I think Vantage are based in Devon. There is reason to be concerned as in past had prompt and very detailed reply to a query via email.

Edit. Just found the site.

http://www.vantageaudio.co.uk/

up and running. btw they are located nr Taunton (Somerset)

HoraceW
13-10-2012, 13:26
Just seen this as thinking of getting some work done on my L-07D. Was in contact with his son a while back and will try and make contact again. Think their office is still temporarily closed but from past dealings there will be an explanation and sure all will be well. Will post my findings.

Hugh

chris@panteg
13-10-2012, 14:21
I do have an address and tel no if anyone needs to try and contact Vantage audio .

Big Vern
13-10-2012, 18:36
I do have an address and tel no if anyone needs to try and contact Vantage audio .

Hi Chris,

Would welcome any details you may have - please PM me...

Cheers,

Paul.

chris@panteg
14-10-2012, 07:12
Hi Chris,

Would welcome any details you may have - please PM me...

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul , you have a PM .

Big Vern
14-10-2012, 09:38
Hi Paul , you have a PM .

Top man - thanks, Chris...:)

taut
14-10-2012, 18:21
Hi Chris,

I would also welcome any phone number or address you have. I have been phoning regularly for over two months now without an answer or returned call. A letter sent by Special Delivery to Richard has been returned to me, so any means of contact would be much appreciated.

Kind regards, Aidan

chris@panteg
14-10-2012, 20:57
Hi Chris,

I would also welcome any phone number or address you have. I have been phoning regularly for over two months now without an answer or returned call. A letter sent by Special Delivery to Richard has been returned to me, so any means of contact would be much appreciated.

Kind regards, Aidan

Hi Aidan ,will do though I suspect its probably the same as what you have ?

taut
14-10-2012, 21:17
Thanks Chris - I only have the 0845 429 4643 number and the address The Courtyard, Mount Barn, Halse, TA43AD, UK. The last time Richard went out of contact for a long time before the Queen's jubilee a Special Delivery letter sent to this address was signed for by someone with his surname (but not answered) so it is/was the correct one.

Big Vern
15-10-2012, 22:47
Dear All,

Good news! I had a lengthy conversation tonight with Richard's son, Ritchie. As suspected, there has been a family-related issue, which has taken them away from work. Ritchie, like his dad, is a lovely chap and was extremely apologetic for the communication blackout, and is very keen to get people sorted.

He is in the process of clearing the backlog at Vantage, with Richard, and is working hard to get things back on track. Whilst the workshop is not fully re-opened yet, Ritchie was at pains to point out that Vantage were 'back on the block'.

It was great to hear from him and genuinely appreciated. I guess it will take a little while to get things back up-to-speed, but I think the radio silence is just about over now.

I'll keep you posted with any further news...

Best Wishes,

synsei
15-10-2012, 22:48
That's excellent news... :D

Reid Malenfant
15-10-2012, 23:07
:lol: I just wondered why everything said yesterday when I saw a new post :scratch:

Just ignore me, it's now a new day!

Yes, great news, a whole load of people will no doubt feel a good deal happier & sleep better knowing things are going to get back to some semblance of normality :)

Cheers for bringing the good news!

chris@panteg
15-10-2012, 23:53
That's excellent news... :D

+1:)

Mileend
08-03-2013, 12:52
Anyone had any contact with Vantage since October as they frustratingly seem to have gone to ground again ?
Thanks

Just checked their website which now has a opening page stating workshop is temporarily closed but will reopen as soon as practically possible. A little more hopeful perhaps.

julesd68
08-03-2013, 22:53
Mervyn, the weird thing is that if you leave your browser on that holding page for around 20 seconds it suddenly morphs into their new website which suggests they are open for business ...:scratch:

Stratmangler
08-03-2013, 22:59
Mervyn, the weird thing is that if you leave your browser on that holding page for around 20 seconds it suddenly morphs into their new website which suggests they are open for business ...:scratch:

It morphs into the old website ;)

julesd68
08-03-2013, 23:01
:doh: Time to go to bed methinks ...

julesd68
27-03-2013, 14:51
Well there now seems to be a new Vantage website (still work in progress) that pops up after the holding page and there will be a new phone number that should be operative in April ...

Marco
27-03-2013, 15:49
Have all outstanding orders been honoured now - or are folks still waiting on stuff back from Vantage?

It's the lack of clarity on this matter that is rather frustrating/annoying... I appreciate that Richard has been through a tough time recently, and sympathise, but he really needs to get better organised and keep his customers informed of any problems.

Marco.

morris_minor
28-03-2013, 09:12
Someone from another forum had a turntable sent to Vantage for servicing which was returned a couple of weeks or so later - within the last month or so . . .

SP10
16-05-2013, 17:48
Still no contact info on new shell web site.

He has had my SP10 for at least 4 years now....and I am absolutely furious. I saw the deck two and a half years ago and agreed a small amount of extra work...since then empty promises and no contact possible for over a year! He has never once made contact...always me who has done so. I am now in my early 70s and quite believe that I will never see it again unless I drive over 800 miles round trip. WHATEVER [/B[B]]his reasons, his business ethic is in urgent need of a make-over.

Marco
16-05-2013, 18:06
Hi there,

It seems that you are making fair points, and I'm sympathetic towards your situation.

However, I must ask that you update your profile with your real first name and an approximate geographical location, or if you don't know how to do so, provide the details here, as this information is required of all our members.

Many thanks, and I hope that you hear about your SP10 soon! :)

Marco.

chelsea
16-05-2013, 18:38
Still no contact info on new shell web site.

He has had my SP10 for at least 4 years now....and I am absolutely furious. I saw the deck two and a half years ago and agreed a small amount of extra work...since then empty promises and no contact possible for over a year! He has never once made contact...always me who has done so. I am now in my early 70s and quite believe that I will never see it again unless I drive over 800 miles round trip. WHATEVER [/B[B]]his reasons, his business ethic is in urgent need of a make-over.

4 years.
Sorry but that is outrageous.

Canetoad
16-05-2013, 18:57
I'd be banging on his door at this very moment! :steam:

SP10
16-05-2013, 20:05
I'd be banging on his door at this very moment! :steam:

If I was anywhere near S.England I would! But as I don't have any viable address, telephone number or email address I can't make any attempt to contact - other than by moaning on the forum.

Having said all of that I was amazed at the obvious quality of his work when I did see the TT in Sept 2010......there was only a small extra job to be done...then estimated time a couple of weeks !!!!!! He seemed a decent guy and if he has had problems I am sorry for him. But despite that I do feel that he could easily have lifted the 'phone or sent an email.

Marco
16-05-2013, 20:16
Hi Brian,

I totally agree, and I'm really sorry to hear of the problems you've had. You've highlighted precisely the area that Richard is deficient in (including those of most 'one man bands'), and which is fundamental in the smooth running and long-term success of any business. That area is called communication.

I know that Richard has had more than his share of personal problems, but the fact is that doesn't excuse his total ineptitude in keeping his customers informed of updates to orders. If you're running a business, and taking people's money in the process, you cannot ignore your customers simply because you're experiencing personal problems. That simply isn't good enough! :nono:

Furthermore, retaining possession of your turntable for 4 years while work is supposedly being carried out, with little in the way of communication, is ridiculous, and borders on theft. I sincerely hope that Richard gets his act together soon.

Brian, if I, or anyone else here, can help get your turntable back, then we'll certainly do so.

Marco.

SP10
16-05-2013, 20:23
MAny thanks Marco and also to the others who have responded to my post. Other than finding a viable address and issuing a legal warning, I can do nothing - unless a forum member is in contact and tells Richard that I am very very unhappy with his lack of responsibility.

In the meantime - and until a proper explanation is forthcoming - I would advise any one thinking of sending him any work to think again.

I should mention that I have also paid him £300.00 generally on account!

chelsea
16-05-2013, 21:05
Sorry to hear it Brian.
There is no excuse for not sending you an email or a phone call.

realysm42
16-05-2013, 21:20
That's a liberty, sorry to hear that mate.

wiicrackpot
16-05-2013, 22:36
In the meantime - and until a proper explanation is forthcoming - I would advise any one thinking of sending him any work to think again.

I should mention that I have also paid him £300.00 generally on account!
Brian,

I am so vexxed for you, by the look of things you're gonna lose more than £300.00, add the value of your SP10 and it's sore.

The sound of resignation about your age and the likelihood you'll not see your TT again make it so poignant, a liberty indeed. :(

southall-1998
16-05-2013, 22:42
This person deserves to receive dog shit in his mails!!!

The Grand Wazoo
16-05-2013, 23:02
That wouldn't work though, would it Shane? What with your 'collection only' policy!

But seriously, that sort of behaviour is not on Shane, whatever the reason. If what Brian says is true, then there are legal means to pursue the other party and I'm surprised he hasn't used them after 4 years.

Audioman
17-05-2013, 00:03
There are means to find Vantage Audio's address. Anyway I know it's near Taunton. Of course if you find an address and go there no guarantee that you will get an answer. Interesting if anyone has had recent dealings. Strangely in spite of this apparent ineptitude I did contact Richard over modding a phono stage some time ago and got prompt and extensive free advice via email. I imagine that he has got quite a lot of unfinished kit in his workshop and there is a queue of dissatisfied customers out there. The only thing I suggest as a last resort is to try and get recompense through the small claims court.

Paul.

chris@panteg
17-05-2013, 05:37
You can get a high court writ , cost £60 then a sheriff can force entry and retrieve your SP10 , the address is on the invoice , you must have one I presume .

WOStantonCS100
17-05-2013, 07:01
Not good. Something must have gone horribly wrong as I've heard nothing but great things about his service. I don't know him at all; but, hope whatever it is, turns around. I do hope he is given "air time" to explain when and if he is able. There's always two sides. However, if proven true, 4 years, even two years, is inexcusable and serious amends need to be made.

Marco
17-05-2013, 07:47
Yup... Folks, I really don't want this thing turning into a witch hunt/hate fest against Richard who, quite clearly, is going through a difficult time in his personal life. I don't believe for one second that he's a dishonest person. Yes, he's guilty of not keeping in proper contact with his customers, but he doesn't deserve to be vilified. Brian is the biggest injured party here, no question, but I'm quite certain that Richard did not set out to take his SP10, and indeed would likely be horrified to know that this is what some people think.

What's happened here, IMO, is a small 'one man' business taking on more work than they can effectively handle (how often has that happened before?) and then hitting hard times, due to unforeseen personal circumstances. Unfortunately, these things happen, but Richard is just burying his head in the sand, instead of tackling the issue, and that's a big boo-boo..

What he should do, however (or someone else acting on his behalf, should he be in ill health), is either make a public statement on his website, outlining the situation, or come on here and do so, and/or made immediate contact with Brian (and anyone else who's been waiting for their kit for a very long time), via phone or email, outlining his proposals to return said kit to its owners.

If that doesn't happen soon, then I would ask any of our members who know the full postal address for Vantage Audio, to forward that information to Brian, so that, if necessary, he can take the appropriate (legal) action. Better still, would be if someone who lives near where Vantage Audio are based would pop round and get some information from Richard and assess the situation there, and then publish their findings on this thread, so that people (and most of all, Brian) know what's happening.

However, let's hear no more about dog shit being sent through the post, as that doesn't solve anything.

Marco.

synsei
17-05-2013, 09:00
To paraphrase Elton John, "It's sad, so sad, it's a sad, sad situation"

Theo
17-05-2013, 10:04
I've just had an email from Carole at Vantage. They do seem to have general telecom & internet issues, but she has asked if I could pass this on:

"The priority will be to make sure all items we have that are overdue for return to clients are made ready as soon as possible and delivery arrngements made. We have several such clients who have been waiting for a long time and we can only thank them for their patience and understand their frustration.

Richard should be back in the office by the end of this month after a long spell with eye and other problems...and once again can only thank you for your patience as well.

We will also have a new telephone number in place by the end of the month. This should have happened in April but there have been some service problems from the telecom supplier which has not helped an already bad situation.

Thank you once again for your kind consideration, best regards".

Hopefully Richard will soon be in a position to deal with these issues directly.

southall-1998
17-05-2013, 11:43
That wouldn't work though, would it Shane? What with your 'collection only' policy!

But seriously, that sort of behaviour is not on Shane, whatever the reason. If what Brian says is true, then there are legal means to pursue the other party and I'm surprised he hasn't used them after 4 years.

It was a joke :rolleyes:

synsei
17-05-2013, 12:23
I've just had an email from Carole at Vantage. They do seem to have general telecom & internet issues, but she has asked if I could pass this on:

"The priority will be to make sure all items we have that are overdue for return to clients are made ready as soon as possible and delivery arrngements made. We have several such clients who have been waiting for a long time and we can only thank them for their patience and understand their frustration.

Richard should be back in the office by the end of this month after a long spell with eye and other problems...and once again can only thank you for your patience as well.

We will also have a new telephone number in place by the end of the month. This should have happened in April but there have been some service problems from the telecom supplier which has not helped an already bad situation.

Hopefully Richard will soon be in a position to deal with these issues directly.

That's good news Theo. I do hope VA will consider compensating those who have been waiting up to four years for their work to be carried out... :eyebrows:

realysm42
17-05-2013, 12:37
I like it when people thank others for their patience; just assuming they've displayed/felt any.

I'll butt out now.

sq225917
17-05-2013, 12:45
If any of you lot are waiting for a result here you are bigger suckers than one could imagine. Does anyone really think they have no phone, really not even in their living room. You are all being given the run around. Someone needs to post an address from an invoice and people should just cut their losses and go and collect their kit.

4 years, FFS.

MODERATOR EDIT: UNRELIABLE 'EVIDENCE' REMOVED

Macca
17-05-2013, 12:58
Simon has a point. Unless the bloke is really on his death-bed there is no excuse for not at least replying to an e-mail saying 'I'm screwed for whatever reason so I can't fix your deck and am sending it back along with any pre-payment you have made'.

Four years! Just incredible.

synsei
17-05-2013, 13:17
I fired off several email enquiries to VA over the past eighteen months regarding three of their products and received no replies which was frustrating enough, so I can only imagine how frustrated those who have been waiting years for their items to be returned must feel.. :eyebrows:

Marco
17-05-2013, 13:31

Many thanks for the update, Theo. That certainly clarifies *some* things. I would agree with Simon that Richard will most certainly have a phone number where he can be contacted, even if it is a mobile number, and this should be provided by Carole, in order that customers waiting for goods can get in touch.

Perhaps you could ask her that and report back?

It's simply not good enough to say that the matter will be resolved "as soon as possible", simply because, for some, that time is long overdue.

Marco.

Spur07
17-05-2013, 15:40
what a farce, how do people get their businesses into such mess, or not as might be the case. this stinks to high heaven. 4 years is a piss take.

Havana
17-05-2013, 17:16
Some editing/deleting of earlier posts is called for.....

The Grand Wazoo
17-05-2013, 17:50
The thread has been cleaned up to protect the innocent. I've tried to keep the thread coherent & with as little 'collateral damage' as possible.

Audioman
17-05-2013, 20:39
The thread has been cleaned up to protect the innocent. I've tried to keep the thread coherent & with as little 'collateral damage' as possible.

Chris.

Why have you removed my post calling Simon's 'evidence' into doubt and left his rather rude comments in post 66? Would be more appropriate and even handed to delete the entire post that was full of false assumptions and accusations as well as pointing the finger at entirely innocent parties. I note he has gone strangely quiet. More Inspector Clouseau than Miss Marple.

Paul

The Grand Wazoo
17-05-2013, 20:51
Simon's comments that remain are his opinion - he's entitled to have and express that. I removed his thoughtless, wrong and harmful witch-hunt which he was not entitled to express. Once the 'bring me the head of he who is not Vantage Audio' stuff was removed from Simon's post, yours was meaningless & so I removed your comments. I try to make a thread read coherently - sometimes this is difficult, hence my remark about 'collateral damage'. By that, I meant damage to what others have said, not the damage that Simon was potentially wreaking on an apparently innocent person's reputation.

SP10
17-05-2013, 21:16
Having started this present round of this sorry saga, I want to point out that I do not believe Richard to be designedly dishonest. I have always known that he is not in the best of health - nor am I for that matter - and I was warned that the work would take a few months. What worrys me is that no one involved has the nouce to either make a phone call or send an email.

I have seen many small businesses get into trouble. The usual reason is a lack of realization that communication with customers, banks, tax and other 'authorities' is at least as important as is ability, honesty, PR etc.

I post this so that my position is clear. I like Richard, I still trust him and simply cannot contact him. That causes, due to lack of hard information, anger brought out of frustration.

synsei
17-05-2013, 22:05
Having started this present round of this sorry saga, I want to point out that I do not believe Richard to be designedly dishonest. I have always known that he is not in the best of health - nor am I for that matter - and I was warned that the work would take a few months. What worrys me is that no one involved has the nouce to either make a phone call or send an email.

I have seen many small businesses get into trouble. The usual reason is a lack of realization that communication with customers, banks, tax and other 'authorities' is at least as important as is ability, honesty, PR etc.

I post this so that my position is clear. I like Richard, I still trust him and simply cannot contact him. That causes, due to lack of hard information, anger brought out of frustration.

I admire your demeanour and patience Brian, you are a credit to the forum. I don't know whether I could have been quite so magnanimous if I'd had to wait four years for my turntable...

:clapclapclap:

SP10
18-05-2013, 00:03
What I can say is that the TT had already had its power circuits taken off-board.
The top has been ditched and the motor alone + neon will be bolted into a CD slate, duralium plinth. It was streets better before than a standard SP10 in Obsidian plinth. The arm will, initally, be a DIY carbon (solid graphite) and silicon carbide heavy unipivot with an original, rebuilt in Japan, AudioNote Io cartidge. I am also making a Joachim Gerhard 'Paradise' MC stage and a new power amp with buffer line stage. The speakers are a pair of prototype Sonics (Joachim Gerhard again) with all cables by Be Yamaura. All electronics are in a separate room to the speakers.

CD is a home made DAC driven by an old modified top-end (£40 on eBAy) Sony DVD player.

The DiY gear is only just underway, so I have a little time in hand!

Ali Tait
18-05-2013, 00:07
Said it before and I will keep saying it, CENSORSHIP IS WRONG!!!

ALL threads should be kept as they are!

Maybe that's just me. I will say however, have a look at Audio Talk, not one thread there has ever been censored to my knowledge, and long may it remain so.

Alex_UK
18-05-2013, 06:25
Said it before and I will keep saying it, CENSORSHIP IS WRONG!!!

ALL threads should be kept as they are!

That's fine Ali - PM me your home address, phone number and some pictures of your family and I'll post them up here and tell everyone what a scoundrel you are without a shred of solid evidence! ;)

Joking aside, I completely agree about "censorship" - and if it is proven that there is no case of mistaken identity then we can reinstate the posts - but it isn't about censorship - it's about responsibility - and I don't want this forum to be responsible for an innocent chap to start getting writs through his door, or other questionable "items" as has previously been mentioned!

sq225917
18-05-2013, 09:07
Apologies for having a life and not being on here every second of every day. There are a total of 67 Richard Peachey on the electoral register. Only one of these anywhere near the address for Vantage Audio. As I said if that wasn't him that I posted, then Richard at Vantage Audio goes under his middle name and not his first name.

And lo and behold, here he is, via the power of his domain registration.

Registrant:
GRP Associates
Tinkers Lane
Halse, NA TA4
GB

Domain name: VANTAGEAUDIO.COM

Administrative Contact:
Peachey, GR web@vantageaudio.com
Tinkers Lane
Halse, NA TA4
GB
mob: 07791058035

As I said previously not using his first name.
G. R. Peachey

Have at it.

Marco
18-05-2013, 09:36
That's fine Ali - PM me your home address, phone number and some pictures of your family and I'll post them up here and tell everyone what a scoundrel you are without a shred of solid evidence! ;)

Joking aside, I completely agree about "censorship" - and if it is proven that there is no case of mistaken identity then we can reinstate the posts - but it isn't about censorship - it's about responsibility - and I don't want this forum to be responsible for an innocent chap to start getting writs through his door, or other questionable "items" as has previously been mentioned!

+1 (with big round bells on)!

It was nothing to do with censorship, which I abhor, and all about protecting the innocent and being responsible for the material our members publish, as Alex has explained. I'm on record here umpteen times saying that I hate deleting anything or locking threads, unless it is absolutely necessary, so I'm surprised at your reaction, Ali.

Furthermore, to compare audio talk with here, when we are a much bigger and busier forum, with more than 8 times their membership, and thus the likelihood of many more types of (often controversial) discussions cropping up, other than that of a small group of DIYers talking about their various hi-fi projects, is just plain daft!

We you on the sauce last night, mate? :D

Marco.

Marco
18-05-2013, 09:48
Apologies for having a life and not being on here every second of every day.

What's that got to do with it, Simon? Clearly, the photographs you posted were not of the Richard in question, as people who've met him, had confirmed.

We certainly can't have innocent people being caught up in someone's else's dispute! You need to take more responsibility over what you post and check that, in matters like this, the information you're publishing in the public domain is 100% accurate.

I'll accept that the last details you've posted belong to Richard, from Vantage Audio, unless proven otherwise.

Marco.

sq225917
18-05-2013, 11:09
Marco my 'every second comment' was in response to the poster who was implying I'd just f-ed off.

Now his details are available hopefully people can sort things out in the way 'they' see fit.

re the other 'Richard' a quick check of the births register shows who he is....

Marco
18-05-2013, 11:32
Marco my 'every second comment' was in response to the poster who was implying I'd just f-ed off.

Fairy muff... However, I also trust you can see where I'm coming from? Sometimes your impetuousness and desire to 'right wrongs' can get you into trouble! ;)

Marco.

Ali Tait
18-05-2013, 12:16
+1 (with big round bells on)!

It was nothing to do with censorship, which I abhor, and all about protecting the innocent and being responsible for the material our members publish, as Alex has explained. I'm on record here umpteen times saying that I hate deleting anything or locking threads, unless it is absolutely necessary, so I'm surprised at your reaction, Ali.

Furthermore, to compare audio talk with here, when we are a much bigger and busier forum, with more than 8 times their membership, and thus the likelihood of many more types of (often controversial) discussions cropping up, other than that of a small group of DIYers talking about their various hi-fi projects, is just plain daft!

We you on the sauce last night, mate? :D

Marco.

Yep! And pissed off, as some thieving twat removed £800 from my bank account yesterday. They better hope I never catch up with them..

Bank was great though, refunded my money almost straight away, to my surprise. Only inconvenience is having to wait for a new card.

walpurgis
18-05-2013, 12:33
Users of AOS I feel, should expect a degree of moderator intervention when things have the potential to get maybe insulting or defamatory. After all, if you join and post, you have basically agreed to this.

Perhaps some AOS members are a little more sensitive to what is expressed than others. It might help if they accepted that maybe unintentionally, not everybody is particularly diplomatic.

Me, I've got a thick skin and don't worry too much what anyone says!

southall-1998
18-05-2013, 12:59
Users of AOS I feel, should expect a degree of moderator intervention when things have the potential to get maybe insulting or defamatory. After all, if you join and post, you have basically agreed to this.

Perhaps some AOS members are a little more sensitive to what is expressed than others. It might help if they accepted that maybe unintentionally, not everybody is particularly diplomatic.

+1

Geoff is like a Rock!!!

Marco
18-05-2013, 13:06
Yep! And pissed off, as some thieving twat removed £800 from my bank account yesterday. They better hope I never catch up with them..

Bank was great though, refunded my money almost straight away, to my surprise. Only inconvenience is having to wait for a new card.

Ouch - sorry to hear about that, mate. Thought that you weren't your usual self. Unfortunately, card fraud is rife at the moment... However, glad you got it sorted. Top marks to your bank.

The problem is all that money you're being paid for shilling! :D

Marco.

JazzBones
18-05-2013, 13:09

Geoff and all, I fully understand why people sometimes misread or interpret someone else's written words which is unlike a face to face verbal discussion whereby facial expression and body language give out clues. I try to make use of the smilies etc., to express or underline what I mean by my words, hence :steam: means I'm pissed off and mad, :D means I like it, :laugh: and so on. Now I do know that the spectrum of people on here differ greatly from introvert to extrovert but give us a clue to your state of mind when you write,eh?

Okay, I have spoken :sofa:

synsei
18-05-2013, 13:17
Geoff and all, I fully understand why people sometimes misread or interpret someone else's written words which is unlike a face to face verbal discussion whereby facial expression and body language give out clues. I try to make use of the smilies etc., to express or underline what I mean by my words, hence :steam: means I'm pissed off and mad, :D means I like it, :laugh: and so on. Now I do know that the spectrum of people on here differ greatly from introvert to extrovert but give us a clue to your state of mind when you write,eh?

Okay, I have spoken :sofa:

Couldn't agree more +1 :clapclapclap: :respect: :D ;)

JazzBones
18-05-2013, 13:41
Aw shucks Dave, blush :kiss:

Ali Tait
18-05-2013, 14:01
Ouch - sorry to hear about that, mate. Thought that you weren't your usual self. Unfortunately, card fraud is rife at the moment... However, glad you got it sorted. Top marks to your bank.

The problem is all that money you're being paid for shilling! :D

Marco.

Haha aye! All the Scottish Mafia are shills for MCRU, didn't you know?

Funny thing, I've only ever bought one cable from David, and all my TQ stuff I bought secondhand...

walpurgis
18-05-2013, 15:22
I try to make use of the smilies etc., to express or underline what I mean by my words.

Now I do know that the spectrum of people on here differ greatly from introvert to extrovert but give us a clue to your state of mind when you write,eh?

I do bung a 'smilie' in occasionally. But, if I'm just saying something straightforward, I don't feel the need myself. :ner:

chris@panteg
30-05-2013, 08:21
According to the website , the Vantage audio workshop will be fully operational on the 3rd of June .

I'm pleased and relieved to see this , I wish Richard well and hope his customers get a successful conclusion also !

brian2957
30-05-2013, 09:54
Haha aye! All the Scottish Mafia are shills for MCRU, didn't you know?

Funny thing, I've only ever bought one cable from David, and all my TQ stuff I bought secondhand...

Yup , we all share the £squillions we get for shilling :cool: I may buy myself a packet of liqourice allsorts .

MCRU
30-05-2013, 13:41
or a packet of wine gums eh?

Marco
30-05-2013, 14:33
Wine, eh? You must be coining it in!

Marco.

SP10
14-06-2013, 19:59
................................and so the story continues. April, May, 3 June.....STILL no action re website, valid tel. nos. etc.

Marco
14-06-2013, 20:40
That really is beyond a joke, Brian. So none of the telephone numbers published worked? I presume that you at least have a valid address?

Marco.

SP10
15-06-2013, 08:36
I can't find a tel no on their web pages. I have tried the tel. no posted a month or so ago on this thread.....no reply.

Only way forward (for me) is to do some real work on my Lenco. (See Lenco heaven on web). I have heard one which has been maxed out and it is beyond belief good for the degree of cost and time involved.

SP10
11-07-2013, 23:55
.......no change as yet. If he is in earnest about re-opening and honouring his obligations he would have up-dated his web page to explain the new delay.. We all have the right to privacy - especially in times of grief or sickness. Someone spoke a while back quite clearly on his behalf and promised that all is well re security of goods in his care. But what can we now believe with any certainty?

I have no doubt that Richard sees these posts, or, at least, they are reported to him by others. Can he not be straight forward and arrange a round-robin email to all of those who have been treated so badly.

synsei
12-07-2013, 02:06
I think the time for promises and excuses is over. Perhaps those affected might want to think about approaching the local Police as a group to see if they can help recover your gear, after all there is a significant dollar value attached to all this equipment therefore I am certain the Police would take any such complaint seriously.

Canetoad
12-07-2013, 07:08
+1.

I'd be getting my property back immediately!

Audioman
12-07-2013, 09:27
Surely someone on the forum lives fairly close and could pop round and 'case the joint'. Would determine if they are actually operating from the premises. They would need some form of written authorisation to remove stuff though. Not sure what police will do as this is a civil matter. Not actually a theft unless they can find some other crime has been committed such as misrepresentation.

Puffin
12-07-2013, 09:50
Is it not a criminal matter? If the goods were taken and then not returned, is it not a case of the owner being permanently deprived of them. Maybe intent has something to do with it. If he says "ok I didn't return them, but I didn't/don't intend to permanently deprive the owners of their goods" the Police may not get involved.

Macca
12-07-2013, 09:59
Get a solicitor to send a letter advising of pending civil action. Will cost about £40 but should light a fire under him.

Audioman
12-07-2013, 11:08
Get a solicitor to send a letter advising of pending civil action. Will cost about £40 but should light a fire under him.

It would probably be cheaper to obtain a judgement in the small claims court. If informed of impending action or a judgement against him Richard or his relatives may get of their arses and do something. If Richard is ill the son should be handling this or anyone legally able to act on his behalf. Would need details of trading address though to be effective. How about those on the forum who have lost out taking out a joint action (if that is possible).

synsei
12-07-2013, 11:25
It would probably be cheaper to obtain a judgement in the small claims court. If informed of impending action or a judgement against him Richard or his relatives may get of their arses and do something. If Richard is ill the son should be handling this or anyone legally able to act on his behalf. Would need details of trading address though to be effective. How about those on the forum who have lost out taking out a joint action (if that is possible).

+1 :) That would make more sense Paul...

YNWaN
12-07-2013, 11:44
Within the context of thevalues concerned £40 is a small sum. I would strongly suggest both actions. Sq225917 already stated the address registered to VA's website - this will also be Richard's home address.

Puffin
12-07-2013, 13:36
Get a judgment for what? The value of the goods retained? What if he is penniless? You've done your money :(

I think this is what is needed :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replevin

Audioman
12-07-2013, 13:54
You can get an order to return the goods or the value. Not sure these come under wrongly held goods as they have been entrusted for repair with no specific period agreed. Problem here is no lines of communication. Failure to complete a contract within a 'reasonable' period is more appropriate. Replevin is something related to default in finance contracts as in repossession of a vehicle. I would have thought it is likely Richard is sitting on the backlog of equipment for repair rather than selling it off for gain. So recovery of the equipment is a realistic possibility.

Big Vern
12-07-2013, 16:26
Hi All

I had been wondering about re-opening this thread...I have e-mailed Richard, but have not received a response (that shouldn't surprise, sadly). I last spoke with his son, Ritchie, in November and he said that my kit would be back with me by the end of November/early December.....

He has my pristine, boxed L-07D (since circa Sept. 2010), and the critical parts for an Onkyo PX-100M (just begin to think possible values...take a look at the PX-100M at Audioscope!!! :eek:)...I have the Onkyo plinth, platter and some of the electronics but - and I really regret this now - I gave the other bits to Richard for overhaul probably 2+ years ago, now...I have two of these 'tables, as one actually belongs to Richard...I have refurbished the platters, electronics and plinth at considerable expense (I am having to sell other stuff, as the platter refurb costs have brought tears to my eyes...and will do so for some time to come...that's another story), but cannot rebuild the second table now. I didn't want to sort just one 'table out, as both needed work, but I'm really beginning to wonder now. Oh, he's also got a Nakamichi Dragon CT turntable, but I haven't seen that since about 2005...totally given up on that one, even though I could do with having it back to sell (see platter comments!)

I really do believe that Richard is essentially a very decent guy (genuinely I do, despite the above tale of woe!), but cannot help feeling I have been treated with contempt...and that's a real shame. I'm getting worried now and have considered just pitching up at his business, but it is a long way to travel for a speculative visit and you just don't know how people will react. My sense is that this is firmly a civil matter, but there is no doubt in my mind that the treatment of his customers is unreasonable.

C'mon Richard, get a grip and at least start communicating with people!

Worried and peeved of Cheshire! ;)

Audioman
12-07-2013, 16:57
Paul, if I was in your position I would go down there in person with some back up and try and sort things out face to face. Don't leave until you get all your stuff back and get police involved if return is not forthcoming. If he's had something for 8 years he's hardly likely to complete the work ever. Because Richard's a decent chap doesn't mean that he is a competent or capable person to entrust this equipment with. Perhaps it's time to send an AOS posse down to Somerset.

Paul.

chelsea
12-07-2013, 17:01
8 years
You have great patience.

Big Vern
12-07-2013, 17:25
Paul, if I was in your position I would go down there in person with some back up and try and sort things out face to face. Don't leave until you get all your stuff back and get police involved if return is not forthcoming. If he's had something for 8 years he's hardly likely to complete the work ever. Because Richard's a decent chap doesn't mean that he is a competent or capable person to entrust this equipment with. Perhaps it's time to send an AOS posse down to Somerset.

Paul.

Paul, it's getting to the stage where I am seriously considering driving down to Somerset - I really don't mind if there are delays, so long as people communicate with me. Heck, they're record players at the end of the day, but I am missing out on enjoying these 'tables whilst they're sitting in Richard's workshop. I've probably been too patient...I do stand by my view that he is a decent guy - there's no malice there, for sure - but there are stops in music!

julesd68
12-07-2013, 17:30
I think you are being admirably calm and even-handed Paul but hanging onto a customer's prized and valuable gear for a number of years does not equate to any level of decency in my book! I would be driving down there and not leaving till I got everything back.

Big Vern
12-07-2013, 17:37
I think you are being admirably calm and even-handed Paul but hanging onto a customer's prized and valuable gear for a number of years does not equate to any level of decency in my book! I would be driving down there and not leaving till I got everything back.

Julian - I suspect you probably speak for the neutral observers of this thread!

Lodgesound
12-07-2013, 17:41
I've been reading this thread with interest and feel genuinely sorry for the folk who seem to have lost equipment here.

The answer is very simple - if the machinery is yours and you can prove it is yours simply drive down (I suggest a group of you do) and collect it from his premises.

There is nothing in law that prevents you from reclaiming any of your equipment - you just need proof of ownership if things kick off.

If you are refused admission or anyone attempts to stop you reclaiming your property then simply call the local police and explain the situation whilst you are there.

Personal circumstances aside and in the cold light of day the retention of your property and failure of communication (stalling tactics, lies or whatever you choose to call it) is theft.

None of you should write your property off - I had a similar thing happen with much more valuable machinery and believe me I went and collected my property.

It is difficult to say no in person to a group of well meaning polite but driven individuals.

julesd68
12-07-2013, 17:42
Julian - I suspect you probably speak for the neutral observers of this thread!

Best of British - and do keep us posted how you get on ...

synsei
12-07-2013, 17:44
Here's how it should work. Years ago I bought a Marantz PM66SE from my local branch of Dixons. It developed a fault in the headphone stage within a couple of months (a quite pronounced hum could be heard through the phones), so I returned it to Dixons and they sent it off to their service department for repair. Somehow it got lost in the system somewhere. The unit should have been returned to the branch for me to pick up a fortnight later, however three weeks after the return date there was still no sign of it. The branch manager took over my case at this point because the service department were giving his staff the runaround. He could see I was becoming frustrated with the situation so he asked me if I would accept a full refund (there were no more PM66's in stock as it was an end of line item). I accepted the offer.

The Grand Wazoo
12-07-2013, 17:47
Stewart's advice is good, but I would suggest considering a polite call to the local police in advance just to let them know what you are doing, in case accusations are made later of mob handedness or threatening behaviour. Ask that the call is logged.

Big Vern
12-07-2013, 17:53
Here's the result of the Onkyo work...it's only taken 9 years...and there's an identical one waiting to be finished!! :eek:

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x471/vermontdankin/DSCN0715_zps78071977.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/vermontdankin/media/DSCN0715_zps78071977.jpg.html)

Complete refurb inside and out, and I made the wooden surround (ziracote veneer) and the Onkyo badge on the surround was laser cut (having scanned the Onkyo logo) using stainless steel and polished copper backing. The surround hides a sandwich plinth, made out of 2 10mm thick, anodised aluminium slabs, which in turn sandwich a 5mm thick soft rubber sheet...constrained layer damping! Whole think probably weighs 60kg plus! Tonearm is a DV505 and the current cartridge is a Lyra Delos. Peter Bogle (Bogle111) was a legend with the plinth writing, using his considerable expertise to identify the correct, original font and design the lettering, before sending the finished graphics to a decal manufacturer in North Wales...once transferred, the decals were sprayed with lacquer...brilliant job by Peter.

Thanks for all of the advice...I will keep you all posted

sq225917
12-07-2013, 19:20
I would suggest that the most sensible course of action is for all of you to work together, compile a list of all the AOS gear he has. Gather up the required proof of ownership send it down to Richard explaining your preferred course of action for collection. Then a couple of forum members go down and collect all the gear at a time pre-arranged with Richard. If they refuse to arrange a time then you get a solicitor and the law involved.

If he had anything of mine in his possession I would have long since been to collect it.

Theo
12-07-2013, 19:57
If he had anything of mine in his possession I would have long since been to collect it.

Sad to say, but this would be my stance if he held anything of mine of value. I've had Richard over to my place twice, and I know him to be a genuine person and dedicated to his craft; but it is still a business, and if your equipment is still in his possession and you want it back, you have very little option but to travel to Somerset and collect.

Big Vern
12-07-2013, 21:41
Thanks for the counsel everyone...I am in the south next week, so I may take a swing past Somerset on my way back up North...bit of a detour, but it is looking like my best option. I'll let you know how I get on, as there are a few people on this forum who currently have gear with Richard...I've even still got the lasagne I bought -sorry, made - for his planned visit last November sitting in the freezer! ;)

Thanks, Chaps,

SP10
12-07-2013, 22:52
The recent tales of similar treatment is evidence of a pattern which causes increased concern.

For me to drive some to a village some 10 or so miles from Taunton involves a round journey of some 800 miles (I live in Scotland). I am now over 70 and have heart problems - so I no longer relish the thought of such a journey without a guarantee that return of the TT can be given along with a responsible person, such as a local solicitor, acting as contact and handover agent.

To contemplate legal action will involve a similar journey as he has the right to have the case heard at a court convenient to him; I would obviously have to attend. A fast track small claims court action is not appropriate as he will certainly be able to produce the TT. And then I have to find another and bring it up to the very high standard mine displayed.

Someone mentioned that his son should be capable of returning all finished work....

The idea of compiling a list of items which are still in Richard's hands is a good one. Only that way can we be aware of the scale of the problem.

My personal thought is that Richard has suffered some sort of breakdown. If that is so a representative could be appointed to administer his business until he can again resume responsibility.

Just so that everyone is clear, I did see the TT after Richard had carried out his work. [This was in a carpark near the motorway when I was enroute to France by Plymouth ferry]. The work had been beautifully executed and I left the TT with him to supply and fit a new strobe light and board. The first main work took ages (2 years+); but the second part involved no more than 20 mins work....TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO Richard claimed that it was complete and that he would parcel it up and that I would arrange pick-up by courier. That was in The rest is as described above. He has always seemed to be an knowledgeable, interesting and nice guy, yet not one of his countless promises to phone me or return the TT was fulfilled.

To restate the items he has of mine are:
The motor unit and external power supply. [I have the new plinth and platter.] On board control boards have all been moved off plinth, and I gave Richard the top-plate as it is redundant for my project. So please add to the list as suggested.

wiicrackpot
12-07-2013, 23:03
What's happening to members here could be the tip of an iceberg, read a short while ago in another forum where a member was asking about Vantage, he was directed to this thread. :(

chelsea
12-07-2013, 23:20
I'd ask a member to go round and drop off a letter with your name,address and item/items.
Saying a courier will be coming to pick them up in 2 weeks time.

If items not put on van police will be involved.

synsei
12-07-2013, 23:31
Perhaps it might be an idea for Marco or one of the senior mods to liaise with other forum owners so they can compile a complete list of members who have been affected by this. That way it could be tackled in one fell swoop.

Wakefield Turntables
13-07-2013, 07:53
This is a sad state of affairs for all involved. Good luck guys in getting your kit back.

SP10
13-07-2013, 11:09
Thanks from me too.

Just to be practical for a moment, any idea of involving the police is far from my mind as I cannot see that this is any more than a straight civil matter.....There is no indication that any client's goods have been sold or attempted to be disposed of and there is no criminal action OR INTENT.

Furthermore any even slightly heavy-handed methods of collection can so easily be seen as criminal and/ harassment: it is all too easy to turn a difficult situation into a nasty, backfiring, situation. But I DO think that a list of outstanding returns would be a good idea; as I have said, we have no idea of the scale of the problem.

Big Vern
13-07-2013, 12:46
Thanks from me too.

Just to be practical for a moment, any idea of involving the police is far from my mind as I cannot see that this is any more than a straight civil matter.....There is no indication that any client's goods have been sold or attempted to be disposed of and there is no criminal action OR INTENT.

Furthermore any even slightly heavy-handed methods of collection can so easily be seen as criminal and/ harassment: it is all too easy to turn a difficult situation into a nasty, backfiring, situation. But I DO think that a list of outstanding returns would be a good idea; as I have said, we have no idea of the scale of the problem.

Hi Brian,

I find myself in complete agreement with you on all fronts. I suspect Richard has suffered a breakdown of sorts - he was unwell for some time before his 'disappearance' just over a year ago. I think the current situation is a manifestation of stresses that had been building for some time. Somewhere, I have a number for Richard's son, which has sadly gone missing! :rolleyes: Typical.

I would just like some contact - even an update on the website - otherwise the inevitable and understandable adding of 2 + 2 takes place, and people start to worry. Sadly, the longer this goes on, the harder it will be for Richard to resolve. Like you, I just want the kit back - even if he hasn't finished it - and I'll sort it out. I know of a friend who has a useless SP10 II, 'cause Richard has been in possession of his platter for some 3 years + now...

I'll do my best to find Ritchie's number and go from there...

Best Wishes,

Paul.

SP10
13-07-2013, 13:24
Agree everything.

Kept my platter back 'cos it has one of the old ART (Italy) solid carbon mats bonded on it; being brittle it was safer that way. Every bit of the electronics is in a separate chassis with the exception of the motor itself. The main boards had been had been done by a keen amateur some years ago, but Richard took the switches off board as well and rationalised the wiring superbly well......and I WANT IT BACK!

I would be grateful to receive any contact number which is current.

Good luck,

Brian.

Lodgesound
13-07-2013, 15:47
You are all very forgiving which is admirable - involving the Police in any way would I am sure be a VERY last resort.

A delegation of individuals turning up on the doorstep need not in any way at all be threatening or aggressive - it is merely a statement of helpful intent.

The only complication here that I can foresee is if for some reason the receivers have been called in whereupon you would have to deal directly with them regarding getting your machinery back.

I have no doubt that Richard is a thoroughly decent individual when in good health.

The lack of communication from him or a family member does raise alarm bells however.

Macca
13-07-2013, 16:13
I would advise against a group of people turning up there as no matter how peacefully intentioned Plod tends to take a dim view of that sort of thing. Plus it would be difficult to arrange and you don't have a reliable address. One option would be to hire a private detective in the general area (the reputable ones are mostly ex-plods anyway and they know exactly how to sort this type of thing). No idea what the cost must be but given that about £20K of kit has been mentioned so far it would seem to be worth it. Least feather ruffled all round and no-one has to get personally involved.

Tim
13-07-2013, 16:26
You are all very forgiving which is admirable - involving the Police in any way would I am sure be a VERY last resort.
Guys, this very definitely is not a police matter, its a civil dispute.

However, as Chris (TGW) has suggested, if anyone is wishing to attend Richard's address in an attempt to reclaim property, then a courtesy call to the local police before attempting it (or better still a stop at the local station and request that the incident and your intentions are logged for information purposes), is the best course of action. This would be viewed no differently to a bailiff calling at an address to reclaim property. The only possible involvement by the police would be to deal with, or prevent a breach of the peace if it got nasty at the time anyone called to reclaim such property. By outlining your intentions prior to a visit would assist if it 'kicked off', which I have no reason to believe it would. However, if you are thinking about doing this, I would outline this by letter first to Richard and you could copy this to the local police, I would also seek some legal advice from the CAB.

Turning up on his doorstep demanding property back without making some sort of contact first, is not IMO the best course of action as tempers can get out of control in such situations. If you did this and Richard called the police and you were there ranting, unfortunately you put yourself at risk of being nicked for public order offences, even though you may be the aggrieved party ;)

sq225917
13-07-2013, 16:44
Look here's what is going to happen if you don't act.

He will either close the business, be forced out of business, or die. Either way if your gear is still at his and you are without proof of ownership when this happens you are all basically f_cked. Even if you do you have proof of ownership I would suspect at this point that you'd all be very close to still being F_ed.

Canetoad
13-07-2013, 17:09
I tend to agree. If they haven't made an effort to get equipment back to the relevant owners by now it's obviously not a high priority.

His business is finished already. Who would sent him equipment for restoration now?

synsei
13-07-2013, 17:19
Perhaps it might be an idea for Marco or one of the senior mods to liaise with other forum owners so they can compile a complete list of members who have been affected by this. That way it could be tackled in one fell swoop.

I thought this was worth restating as nobody has commented on it. Here's the rub: The hifi community is pretty close knit and once word gets about that there is a concerted campaign to recover this gear you can bet that Richard or his son will hear about it, which might kickstart them into action. Just a thought.

YNWaN
14-07-2013, 10:52
I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Lodgesound
14-07-2013, 15:42
Look here's what is going to happen if you don't act.

He will either close the business, be forced out of business, or die. Either way if your gear is still at his and you are without proof of ownership when this happens you are all basically f_cked. Even if you do you have proof of ownership I would suspect at this point that you'd all be very close to still being F_ed.

This I'm afraid is very blunt and VERY true..........seriously do not waste your time sodding about with nice little letters and expensive rip-off solicitors........this is YOUR EQUIPMENT people!!!........I would have been down there months ago....

I personally could not consider affording the write-off value of some of the equipment mentioned in this thread.....it would buy me a car for at least 2 years some of it!

Sorry for my stance on this but I have learned over the years to defend myself in the face of those who blatantly try to steal from me.

The complete lack of communication should honestly drive you into action - it is EXTREMELY suspicious regardless of this gentleman's past history.

sq225917
14-07-2013, 16:16
Have you lot not arranged yourselves yet

SP10
15-07-2013, 23:33
Thank you all for your suggestions....and sympathy!

I am putting the problem in the hands of the local Trading Standards Office. They are based in Taunton and, having used a local TSO here in Scotland, I think that they can deal with the matter effectively. This seems to me a sensible course of action as it gives Richard the opportunity to put the matter right. I will report back as to the outcome.

sq225917
16-07-2013, 08:11
Good move, at last someone is taking an active role in recovering their kit.

SP10
12-12-2013, 17:06
Emails are now being bounced!

synsei
12-12-2013, 17:37
:(

Perhaps it is time for the gloves to come off now. I'd be livid if I had been caught up in this... :eyebrows:

julesd68
12-12-2013, 17:52

How did Trading Standards respond Brian?

Marco
12-12-2013, 19:20

Maybe now's the time to bounce his head off of a wall?

Marco.

Lodgesound
13-12-2013, 11:24
Sorry chaps I have said it before and I will say it again.......

The value of your machinery alone that this man seems to have in his possession is something that I myself could not even think of writing off.

Just go down there, knock at the door and politely ask for it back.

There need to be around 4 or 5 of you there. One of several things will happen - they will give your machinery back, stand at the door making excuses OR will not answer as they are no longer there.

If the last scenario occurs then you don't have a chance. The law will not be interested unless you make threats which of course you will not. Take proof of ownership of your machinery - if they want to call the Police welcome it and present your case upon their arrival.

Remember - if your machinery is on their premises and if they are refusing contact with you then they are housing stolen property - it really is that simple.

I seriously cannot believe that you are lying back and are willing to let this happen to you - sorry I feel very strongly about this kind of thing so felt I had to comment.

If it were me I would have been down there months ago and recovered my equipment.

PaulStewart
13-12-2013, 12:05
Folks,
A quick check at Companies House online webcheck service shows thatVantage Audio is not a limited company, therefore Richard is personally liable for your goods. The quickest way to focus the mind in these cases is to calculate:
Full replacement value of goods
Cost of personal time spent making the claim (£50 per hour is a rate acceptable to the court, I've found)
include in this time on the phone/ writing emails to Vantage, research tracking him down, asking advice etc.

Send him a letter, clearly marked "Letter before action" giving him 7 days to return goods or compensate in full, or you will commence County Court proceedings. In 99% of cases this has resolved things for me, if not the court service money claim online lets you issue a summons on line and adds the cost of the summons into the claim. You don't need to visit with a baseball bat the law will do it for you, and you can add interest to the value for the time he's had the kit

Best of luck

chelsea
13-12-2013, 19:59
You lot are far to patient imo.

Thing Fish
13-12-2013, 23:54
You lot are far to patient imo.

+1

I work hard for my money and although I allow some leeway regarding transactions this seems to have gone way too far?

I almost wish I was involved as I relish a good argument/tussle.

Takes me back to my Navy days...:lol:

sq225917
14-12-2013, 07:31
Can't say I'm surprised it has continued to slide, you lot need to get off your arses.

Wakefield Turntables
14-12-2013, 08:42
The county sheriffs would have been round to his place if it had been me.

SP10
17-12-2013, 00:57
Dear All,

Good news! I had a lengthy conversation tonight with Richard's son, Ritchie. As suspected, there has been a family-related issue, which has taken them away from work. Ritchie, like his dad, is a lovely chap and was extremely apologetic for the communication blackout, and is very keen to get people sorted.

He is in the process of clearing the backlog at Vantage, with Richard, and is working hard to get things back on track. Whilst the workshop is not fully re-opened yet, Ritchie was at pains to point out that Vantage were 'back on the block'.

It was great to hear from him and genuinely appreciated. I guess it will take a little while to get things back up-to-speed, but I think the radio silence is just about over now.

I'll keep you posted with any further news...

Best Wishes,

Has ANYONE had anything back since this nonsense started?

Audioman
17-12-2013, 07:46
Brian.

I think you should have taken action in the small claims court by now. Likely if you did this Richard or his representatives would not be arsed to contest and you would get a judgement in favour. Then you could enlist the services of the county sheriffs to recover goods or value thereof. Everything seems to have gone quiet since the new phone number was promised. It's very suspicious when someone goes completely incommunicado. If I was in the position you and other customers are in I would have organised a visit by now even if it meant a 600 mile trip. Perhaps Big Vern could try and make contact as he appeared to be so confident in things being sorted (months ago).

Paul.

synsei
17-12-2013, 08:39
Forgive me for being blunt chaps but this has effectively become a case of theft. Good intentions are worthless unless backed up by tangible action and there has been non forthcoming from Vantage Audio in this case, just hot air and broken promises. I understand this may be tough to hear for those who know Richard and his family personally however it really is time to wise up. No attempt has been made to contact those on the companies client list who are waiting for outstanding work to be completed and it has been left to the customer to chase ethereal tails, which is proving to be increasingly difficult as time marches on due to the closure of avenues of communication. I strongly urge those who are still waiting to hear from Vantage regarding the fate of their equipment to combine their efforts and begin legal proceedings against the company, Richard and his son immediately. The time for polite patience and reserve has long since expired, action needs to be taken now. The longer you leave it the more difficult it will become to recover your property.

Audioman
17-12-2013, 10:03
Unfortunately Dave it remains a civil matter. Small claims court is the way to go but you have to establish who you are suing and address. I doubt police will be interested unless a deliberate fraud is involved as in the recent cases of some cold calling 'builders'. You can do all the paperwork via the internet these days and likely won't have to attend any hearings if it is not contested (which is more than likely in this case). I suggest everyone does the same on an individual basis.

Perhaps someone in the know will PM Brian with Richard's full name and address and stop protecting the man out of friendship. My belief is after this length of time it may be hard to locate the goods in any case but at least a small claims court action will not prove costly.

Paul.

Marco
17-12-2013, 10:12
Whatever your views are on this matter, in terms of people getting their gear back, one thing is for sure, the disgraceful antics of Vantage Audio, as outlined in this whole sorry state of affairs, would preclude me from allowing the company or its products ever again to be recommended on AoS.

Therefore, measures will be taken in order to ensure that is the case. I'm very sorry to have to say that, but while businesses can sometimes get into trouble, there is simply no excuse whatsoever for the lack of communication from Vantage Audio to their customers :nono:

Marco.

Big Vern
17-12-2013, 10:41
Dear All,

I have been trying to speak with Richard for some considerable time now...I managed a conversation with him in September, but I suspect he only answered his 'phone because he was expecting a call from someone else. I was not surprised to be offered the same platitudes he has offered for years, however, the frustration here is that there is no communication.

I am planning to make a trip at some point in the near future, but finding the time is an issue...Richard's treatment of his customers is contemptible, quite frankly. I have to say I agree with all that has been said on the matter, and I am genuinely concerned that the gear is NOT safe as described on the VA landing page...but only a visit will go some way to confirming this. Heck, I would be happy to help him get kit back to people - I just need to speak with him!!

Like Brian, I could really do without this :steam:

Marco
17-12-2013, 11:05
Mate, just a quick point... You need to add your first name and a more detailed location to your profile (i.e. which area in the UK you live), as this info is now required of all members.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Big Vern
17-12-2013, 11:11
Mate, just a quick point... You need to add your first name and a more detailed location to your profile (i.e. which area in the UK you live), as this info is now required of all members.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Apologies, Marco - now done :)

Marco
17-12-2013, 11:37
Thanks, Paul - much appreciated :)

As an aside, I think we've discussed meeting up before for a music sesh, as you live fairly locally, so if you're free, we should organise that sometime soon :cool:

Marco.

Big Vern
17-12-2013, 11:49
Thanks, Paul - much appreciated :)

As an aside, I think we've discussed meeting up before for a music sesh, as you live fairly locally, so if you're free, we should organise that sometime soon :cool:

Marco.

Hi Marco,

We have indeed...I'll drop you a line to get something into the diary in the new year...at present, my listening room is a store for, well, presents! :) I would love to hear the Techie in its natural surroundings - I had my interest in Tannoy speakers piqued at Scalford Hall a couple of years back - hypnotic and completely engaging...

Best Wishes,

chris@panteg
17-12-2013, 12:16
This is a sorry state of affairs, if anyone does have equipment with Vantage then the only option appears to be ,to retrieve it yourself, if possible?

I have his works address if any customers require it .

Wakefield Turntables
17-12-2013, 12:59
I'm surprised nobody has gone around to this guys address politely knocked on his door and asked for their stuff back??

sq225917
19-12-2013, 08:46
I'm not the level not apathy here is remarkable.

synsei
19-12-2013, 08:59
I'm not the level not apathy here is remarkable.

I think I know what you are trying to say... You course of correct are this in... :D

synsei
31-03-2014, 15:56
Have there been any developments in this situation since December?

pure sound
01-04-2014, 08:15
Have there been any developments in this situation since December?

I'd be surprised if this wasn't connected in some way.
http://fetterlane.co.uk/index.html

Wakefield Turntables
01-04-2014, 08:21
I wonder what happened to everyone's gear?

YNWaN
01-04-2014, 08:29
I wonder what happened to everyone's gear?

A/ It's been sold
B/ It's still there
C/ B but A is taking place

One of the above.

chelsea
01-04-2014, 08:49
Did anyone actually bother to go round and get there gear back?

Marco
01-04-2014, 09:22
...and if necessary by force! ;)

Marco.

chris@panteg
01-04-2014, 09:56
I'd be surprised if this wasn't connected in some way.
http://fetterlane.co.uk/index.html

Those SP10 refurbs look like Richard's work, I've sent a msg, see what reply I get?

Reffc
01-04-2014, 10:36
....there's no address or land-line on the contact page, just a mobile phone number. Nothing to say who they are. If he is trading under a different site and still owes money or goods to people, that's not on.

Val33
01-04-2014, 10:45
Following his Facebook link, address given as: Vivary heights Somerton, Somerset TA1 1UB

Val

Macca
01-04-2014, 10:46
I may be wrong or out of date but under English law is a business not obligated to publish a trading address even if its business is conducted entirely on line?

chris@panteg
01-04-2014, 11:00
....there's no address or land-line on the contact page, just a mobile phone number. Nothing to say who they are. If he is trading under a different site and still owes money or goods to people, that's not on.

Hang on though Paul , Richard didn't run Vantage by himself , he had associates I believe ? It could be that they are running this new enterprise ?

Hoping to hear back from them , I've always trusted Richard and I believe he would not deceive anyone , I would like to know what happened here ? Something just doesn't add up ?

synsei
01-04-2014, 11:36
Chris, whilst I respect your loyalty you've got to admit this situation is beyond the pale. If there is a link between Fetterlane and Vantage then the least the owners could do would be to contact former clients of Vantage with some sort of explanation and outline what they should do to retrieve their equipment. It's a fact of life that not every failing business is run by an arrogant asshole, many are run by decent folk who just can't accept that their venture is failing and therefore end up in complete denial. Often such people stay in denial until the bitter end with devastating consequences for their clients, which I suspect is what has happened here. Regardless, Vantage have demonstrated a total lack of integrity in failing to deal with their clients needs and concerns and should suffer the consequences.

rubber duck
01-04-2014, 12:06
I may be wrong or out of date but under English law is a business not obligated to publish a trading address even if its business is conducted entirely on line?

From eBay:

What information must a business seller give you?
The Distance Selling Regulations require business sellers to give consumers clear information about themselves and their items when they offer them for sale.
The Electronic Commerce (EC Directive) Regulations 2002
Under the eCommerce Directive business sellers must provide the following information, sellers must provide the following information in their listings.
• full contact details for their business;

Val33
01-04-2014, 12:48

Correct. Also, if not a Limited Company, they must give the full names of the people running the company. If a Limited Company they have to give the registered address and company Number.

This is all part of the Distance Selling Regs and others. (I used to run a mail order business).

Val

Yomanze
01-04-2014, 12:51

We lost six figures worth of revenue last year because some a couple of our clients went "into administration" only to start trading, with the same brand, under the guise of a different limited company, but of course zero liability to pay their debts from the "previous" company. It's not on, but it's a horribly brutal aspect of business that greedy or negligent fu**ers really do take advantage of.

Macca
01-04-2014, 12:56
We lost six figures worth of revenue last year because some a couple of our clients went "into administration" only to start trading, with the same brand, under the guise of a different limited company, but of course zero liability to pay their debts from the "previous" company. It's not on, but it's a horribly brutal aspect of business that greedy or negligent fu**ers really do take advantage of.

Yes that is my field of work and it is not uncommon. If not a limited company then the owner(s) are personably liable for all debts. if a limited company they may still be liable if their behaviour in running the company into the ground is judged to be deliberate or reckless.

chris@panteg
01-04-2014, 15:33
Chris, whilst I respect your loyalty you've got to admit this situation is beyond the pale. If there is a link between Fetterlane and Vantage then the least the owners could do would be to contact former clients of Vantage with some sort of explanation and outline what they should do to retrieve their equipment. It's a fact of life that not every failing business is run by an arrogant asshole, many are run by decent folk who just can't accept that their venture is failing and therefore end up in complete denial. Often such people stay in denial until the bitter end with devastating consequences for their clients, which I suspect is what has happened here. Regardless, Vantage have demonstrated a total lack of integrity in failing to deal with their clients needs and concerns and should suffer the consequences.

Yes I understand what you're saying but we still don't know what's happened? Not heard nothing yet? Still waiting for a response from my email.

Marco
01-04-2014, 18:57
Quite simply, there is no excuse whatsoever for Richard's lack of communication with his ex-customers - NONE WHATSOEVER.

It doesn't take anything to lift up the phone, TALK to people, and explain the situation - and because of that, and his total lack of concern for what's best for anyone but himself, I hold him and his tinpot 'business' in utter contempt.

Sorry, but it had to be said - it's a fooking joke... If he had any of my gear, and was deliberately withholding it, I'd have been down there by now with a baseball bat!!! :punch:

Marco.

Marco
01-04-2014, 18:59

Hear, hear :clap:

The man needs to get his act together - and fast!

Marco.

Big Vern
01-04-2014, 23:43
Hello Everyone,

Please sit down...you are in for a shock...;)

I had Richard and Ritchie with me on Friday last week, to return my kit to me...whilst there are a couple of issues to sort out, they both drove from Somerset to bring me the kit, my end of deal (entirely down to me, I might add) was to feed and water them!

I'll spare the detail here, but I think the assessment/s of most folk here has been correct, in terms of Richard - he has not been well, with a debilitating issue with his hand, aided and abetted by stress and other related issues. Let's just say that it has been Ritchie, who has a day job away from Vantage Audio, who orchestrated the visit and ensured it happened. Richard - whilst much, much better, is not fully recovered. What they didn't do is seek to make excuses - a good idea - they fully accept that this whole thing has become a bit of a car crash. Whilst I've always had a kind word for Richard, I have also been clear about my feelings regarding this saga - heck, I managed to get communication going, so I've clearly done something right! ;)

I have been reassured that all kit is safe and the return of my kit has reassured me to some degree that this is genuine. I made the connection with Fetterlane as well (and called them) - Ritchie confirmed they have dealings with Fetterlane, but I must admit, I haven't seen anything for sale that gives me cause for concern - and I have been checking regularly.

I will make an offer to anyone who has any kit at Vantage - Please P.M. me and I will make initial enquiries, with a view to opening channels of communication with you and Vantage directly...i.e. to cut me out of the loop...just think this approach makes sense at the moment, early days.

So, there we go...I'm standing by

Best Wishes,

Paul.

chris@panteg
02-04-2014, 06:21
That's great news, give Richard my best wishes.

I just knew Richard wouldn't intentionally defraud anyone, as for getting a baseball bat out??

The thing is this guy would bend over backwards to help his customers and I believe that!!

There is no excuses for what has happened, but I know he will put things right.

Marco
02-04-2014, 07:51
Hi Paul,

Great news for all folk waiting for their kit, and I think you deserve a big round of applause for the effort you've put in to make this happen, so...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

However, this is the bit I don't get:

I will make an offer to anyone who has any kit at Vantage - Please P.M. me and I will make initial enquiries, with a view to opening channels of communication with you and Vantage directly...i.e. to cut me out of the loop...just think this approach makes sense at the moment, early days.

Why should you have to do that - has Richard lost the use of his tongue, or has he gone all shy? :scratch:

I simply don't understand why he can't just lift up the phone and call everyone whose kit he's got and apologise and explain the situation. Any reasonable person will listen and accept the quickest route to get their gear back.

I don't see why you have to act as a third party... Could you shed some light on that?

If it's simply to allow him to hide, then that's not solving anything. He has to 'man up', front those he's led a merry dance for months (over a year for some?) and acknowledge that he's made a total arse of things, if his reputation is to ever recover from its current status of zero.

Marco.

chris@panteg
02-04-2014, 09:24
The only thing I can say Marco , there is a lot more to this that we don't know about ,I don't think Richard wants to hide from anyone but it may be his recent illness has something to do with it ? He needs to sort something out asap and he knows that I'm sure ! He won't offer any excuses either .

Marco
02-04-2014, 10:53
Is his illness preventing him from using a phone, Chris? Much as I sympathise with Richard's current plight, I can't see anything that's stopping him currently from communicating with people and sorting out the mess he's created, toute-suite!!

If it were me, I'd be mortally ashamed and embarrassed, and desperate to amend matters myself, ASAP, without help from anyone.

Marco.

chris@panteg
02-04-2014, 11:13
Does his illness prevent him from using a phone, Chris? Much as I sympathise with Richard's current plight, I can't see anything that's stopping him currently from communicating with people and sorting out the mess he's created, toute-suite.

Marco.

Only he can answer that question ? At the moment there is no contact no ? Customers with a vested interest should try and contact Richie or take up Paul's offer , I wish I could help more myself ! Very frustrating the whole thing .

Big Vern
02-04-2014, 11:24
Hi Paul,

Great news for all folk waiting for their kit, and I think you deserve a big round of applause for the effort you've put in to make this happen, so...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

However, this is the bit I don't get:

Why should you have to do that - has Richard lost the use of his tongue, or has he gone all shy? :scratch:

I simply don't understand why he can't just lift up the phone and call everyone whose kit he's got and apologise and explain the situation. Any reasonable person will listen and accept the quickest route to get their gear back.

I don't see why you have to act as a third party... Could you shed some light on that?

If it's simply to allow him to hide, then that's not solving anything. He has to 'man up', front those he's led a merry dance for months (over a year for some?) and acknowledge that he's made a total arse of things, if his reputation is to ever recover from its current status of zero.

Marco.

Cheers Marco,

I cannot take issue with anything you've written - you are entirely correct, Richard runs a business and has a duty to his customers - I make the offer merely as a starting point.

I await PMs with baited breath! :)

Best Wishes,

Paul.

SP10
14-02-2019, 11:50
I suppose that no-one has been able to get their property back from this gentleman? I have had serious heart problems, (eventually) dealt with by surgery in Edinburgh last April....I am now back in fighting form and want my SP10 back! So any update on the situation will be much appreciated! [I will be passing the Taunton turn off in about 4 months!!]