PDA

View Full Version : Album Club 29/05/2012 : Wishbone Ash - Argus

Bazil
29-05-2012, 12:07
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/740/arguss.jpg

I bought this album when it came out in 1972 because I saw them do "Blowin' Free" a catchy number on The Whistle Test. I never gave the album a chance I was too young to appreciate it and swapped it for Deep Purple In Rock.
About 10 years ago I picked up the remastered CD in HMV. I still get a thrill each time I play it as the acoustic guitar on the first track breaks the silence with magic. There are seven quality tracks (Please ignore any tracks after 7 they are not on the original and don't fit in.)
A few will own this, how it will be received by our younger members I'm not sure.

Here is a review off Progarchives,
by Tony Fisher (PROG REVIEWER)

5 stars ,This album is sensational and is Wishbone's masterpiece. Over 30 years after its release, it sounds as fresh and exciting as ever and, along with The Snow Goose, is my most played album. The guitar play throughout is breathtaking and melodic, Andy Powell and Ted Turner complementing each other and swapping solos and riffs effortlessly whilst Martin Turner contributes some sensational bass lines and Steve Upton's drums are sensitive and inventive. For the first time, they include keyboards, with Jon Tout of Renaissance guesting on organ in Throw Down The Sword. This adds an extra dimension and, subsequently, Graham Maitland (ex Glencoe) would tour with them. Are they prog? Probably, at least on this album; they have some definite prog characteristics but who cares when they're as good as this?

All seven tracks are an aural delight (ignore the CD's bonus track which has no place in such exalted company). Their previous albums were brilliant for the most part, but were somewhat flawed by rough edges and some undeveloped ideas. This is expertly constructed and produced. The tracks change between gentle acoustic passages to full blooded rock seamlessly. All seven tracks are highlights and still feature in their live repertoire to this day; it's amazing to see 17 year olds singing along to songs recorded long before they were born. I will refrain from describing each track; the best way to discover this album is to buy it and hear for yourself.

This album was voted best album of 1972 - ahead of Close to the Edge, Thick as a Brick and Foxtrot. Did it deserve this accolade? Without any doubt at all; excellent though those albums are, this is on a higher plane altogether. Very few albums deserve the title perfect: this is one. Essential to any collection.

http://open.spotify.com/album/5v2VhaPqn4kydTX06Mdvse

Audioman
29-05-2012, 13:34
Excellent choice. This is the only Wishbone Ash LP I have. Good excuse for a listen.

John
29-05-2012, 13:59
Not listened to this for years
So no idea what I think of it these days I report back latter in the week

MartinT
29-05-2012, 14:40
Great choice, Barry. This is one of the finest albums from that period in my collection and features all of Wishbone Ash's greats apart from Persephone (on the There's The Rub album). No pyrotechnics, just melodic lines and twin lead guitars that hook me in every time with great singing as a bonus.

I listen to it a lot in the car and have no trouble giving it 10/10.

prestonchipfryer
29-05-2012, 15:38
Yes, a brilliant album. I still play it regularly along with There's The Rub. Fantastic. :)

John
29-05-2012, 15:56
I am afried I am going to be the odd one out here The reason why I had not listened to this for years is that I always found it a average album and my view point has not really changed.
I want music to move me or connect with me in some wa,y this just rushes over me, its not that it bad, but just does not inspire me to want to listen the way it does for others. To be honest I wanted to give it a 5 but 4 sums it up for me so much more

Wilbur
29-05-2012, 16:06
A fine album,no question about it! 10/10:cool:

keiths
29-05-2012, 16:06
The only Wishbone Ash LP I own. I don't recall playing it since I got back into vinyl a year or two ago - so I haven't listened to this for at least 7 years. Will give it a clean, a spin or two and then post back.

Reid Malenfant
29-05-2012, 16:25
If anyone hasn't got a copy of this & is forced to use Spotify - DON'T! It sounds shite...

Use Grooveshark, it sounds sooo much better (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Argus/628210) :D No commercials either if you don't happen to be a premium member :)

Bazil
29-05-2012, 16:51
If anyone hasn't got a copy of this & is forced to use Spotify - DON'T! It sounds shite...

Use Grooveshark, it sounds sooo much better (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Argus/628210) :D No commercials either if you don't happen to be a premium member :)

Good shout Mark and as before stop after 7.

Reid Malenfant
29-05-2012, 17:24
Good shout Mark and as before stop after 7.
I think I liked it as I unintentionally ended up on track nine :eyebrows:

Off to give it 8/10

Bazil
29-05-2012, 19:36
I think I liked it as I unintentionally ended up on track nine :eyebrows:

Off to give it 8/10

Fair dues, I can't comment on the other tracks as I've never heard them.
Good subject matter for another thread "Added Tracks good or bad?"

The Grand Wazoo
29-05-2012, 23:23
Wishbone Ash - Barry, the first thing I heard by them was also 'Blowing Free'. A little later than the original release, though - it was a single that I bought & still have. I bought it on a whim & then I went to see them a short while later - my 2nd or 3rd gig I think. I saw them several timas after that too, so they've always been more of a live band for me than an albums band. I got into the Live Dates album, which I soon began to know inside out, long before I heard Argus in full. Despite that, I'd agree with the review you quoted, this album is pretty much a perfect creation, so it's 10/10 from me.

I've played my vinyl copy twice tonight, on two different turntables and got something different from each performance.
I love 'Sometime World' for the interplay between the two guitars and the propulsion from the rhythm section in the last few minutes. For a moment or two, it's ascloseasthis to 'Freebird' - I'd bet my boots that Allen Collins and Gary Rossington were listening to Argus when they recorded their first album.

I'd also recommend both of the first two 'Live Dates' albums, especially the second one for the sublime Glasgow Apollo versions of Lorelei & Persephone. Also essential for me are 'Pilgrimage' and 'Wishbone Four'.

EDIT: Oops! - Just noticed I talked about 'Time Was' when I meant 'Sometime World'.

Macca
30-05-2012, 12:44
I bought this back in 1988 when I was at college, never heard of the band I just liked the album cover. Unexpectedly it blew me away and everyone else who heard it really liked it and made tape copies of it. I have some of their other abums but this is really the stand out, I give it 9/10.

Bazil
30-05-2012, 16:42
Wishbone Ash - Barry, the first thing I heard by them was also 'Blowing Free'. A little later than the original release, though - it was a single that I bought & still have.

I thought it was a single but don't remember it doing well, can't imagine it was on TOTP's.

RichB
30-05-2012, 19:55
Gets an 8 from me, followed the Grooveshark link and it sounds pretty good through the Ditton 15/mini t combo... music such as this was made for these speakers i think. they are of a similar vintage right?

Some great guitar work on there and i love that beefy bass sound their bass player has. Nice melodies and the lyrics are suitably cosmic without being too far up their own arse. I might take a punt on cheap copy of this for the collection, is the remastered double CD and bonus tracks any good or an earlier version recommended?

Might be just me but i reckons the opening riff and solo from 'Throw down the sword' sounds a bit like earlier Metallica in their more melodic moments, or rather the other way round.

Bazil
30-05-2012, 21:23
Richard, I have the first re-mastered CD and haven't heard any later issues. Having done a bit of research sonically there is no difference, extra tracks are fine if you are collecting. This was a complete album and was a piece of work seven tracks long CD's need filling up.

Another quote -Seven tracks of nigh on musical perfection from 'Time Was' through to 'Throw Down The Sword', anyone who claims to appreciate rock music has to own a copy of "Argus". It's the law.

The Metallica reference- I only have the "Black album" so can't comment.

The Grand Wazoo
30-05-2012, 22:53
It's a bit frustrating, but slightly amusing, to note that Martin Turner (the bassist/singer) and Andy Powell (guitar) each have their own versions of Wishbone Ash and have each chosen to re-record 'Argus', both albums being released at virtually the same time in 2008!

Andy Powell recorded 'Argus, Then Again – Live' at a small gig in Washington DC, while Martin Turner’s Wishbone Ash released 'Argus Through The Looking Glass' in the studio with John Wetton & others. Martin Turner's album has a different running order to the original & 'Blowin' Free' is the final track as he had originally intended it to be.

'The King Will Come' (http://grooveshark.com/s/The+King+Will+Come/3CSuio?src=5) - Andy Powell's version (Grooveshark)

'The King Will Come' - Martin Turner's version:

6g1UhnAE2RA

Bazil
31-05-2012, 10:01
Thanks for the links Chris, unfair to compare the two as one is live, both very good though.
Hard to imagine the album not finishing with Throw Down The Sword as it is a great ending song.

WAD62
31-05-2012, 10:47
10/10 an absolute classic!

...particularly the Andy Powell remaster (thanks Chris by the way) ;)

sparrow
31-05-2012, 15:07
I have the CD and a NM vinyl copy of this album..will give it a spin over the weekend from the handful of Wishbone Ash albums I have this one is from what I remember the standout.

Tim
31-05-2012, 19:31
I'm going to struggle to give this album anything other than 10/10 as its one of my all time favourites. I have seen WA a number of times over the years, first being in 1974 on I think the There's The Rub tour. I have never stopped enjoying seeing them or listening to their early music. I will however try to see if it still deserves that score and give it a careful listen..... I'll try not to get the air guitar out for Throw Down The Sword... :eyebrows:

Mothman
31-05-2012, 19:38
Got to be a 9/10 from me, one of their best. Always loved the WA melodic guitar sound.

Tim
31-05-2012, 20:29
Well its still a 10/10 for me, there isn't a track I don't like on the album, but unlike the majority my favorite has always been Throw Down The Sword, not Blowin' Free. Its a curse I have had to bear, as they always seem to play Blowin' Free live, but I think I have only ever seen TDTS once. The dueling guitars on this track still sends shivers down my spine - in fact I had to play it twice tonight, the second time on headphones.

I have had this on vinyl and cassette over the years, but now its just a FLAC rip of the remastered CD. I timeless classic I very much doubt I will ever tire of listening too - good choice.

WAD62
01-06-2012, 08:48
Well its still a 10/10 for me, there isn't a track I don't like on the album, but unlike the majority my favorite has always been Throw Down The Sword, not Blowin' Free. Its a curse I have had to bear, as they always seem to play Blowin' Free live, but I think I have only ever seen TDTS once. The dueling guitars on this track still sends shivers down my spine - in fact I had to play it twice tonight, the second time on headphones.

I have had this on vinyl and cassette over the years, but now its just a FLAC rip of the remastered CD. I timeless classic I very much doubt I will ever tire of listening too - good choice.

I'm with you on that one Tim, Blowing Free is my least favourite on the album, probably down to the fact that the cover band I was in at school used to mangle it pretty badly...and you can hear something too often!

I wasn't old enough to see them with Ted Turner, but caught them about '75/76 I think, when Lauri Wisefeild had taken his slot. More recently I've seen both current incarnations (Martin Turner's and Andy Powell's) play the album in its entirety...for my money Andy Powell's version are better ;)

Bazil
01-06-2012, 21:21
Back to my OP, Blowin'' Free is what alerted me to the album but Throw down the Sword is my fav. track. :hairmetal:

The Grand Wazoo
01-06-2012, 22:02
Snap!!

WAD62
08-06-2012, 12:13
'Sometime World' for me...the bass line is superb :)

Audioman
11-06-2012, 15:10
Listening to this again explains why I never investigated Wishbone Ash furthur. It's all a very pleasant listen with excellent playing. Just washes over my head realy and glad it ended. Not enough pace and variation to the music for me. A decent prog album but undeserving of it's high rating. 7/10.

synsei
11-06-2012, 15:41
The very first time I listened to Argus (which was only a year or so ago) I wasn't impressed at all, in fact I interrupted it about 15 minutes in to listen to something else (it is entirely possible that I just wasn't in the mood that day).

Upon a second listen and a third today I have to admit it is growing on me. I particularly enjoy Time Was for it's gorgeously minimalist introduction and from there, how it segues into a rollicking rock lick. All in all the album is okay although I wouldn't put it in my top ten, so in light of that I give it 6/10.

keiths
11-06-2012, 16:57
Well, after re-aquainting myself with this after a gap of several years, I gave it 7/10 - 'cos it's "a good album". It's never going to make my 'Desert Island Discs' list, but well worth a listen.

Welder
27-07-2012, 19:05
Much like Kieth has written above really.
It is a good album and I did go and see them live at Hemel Hempstead Pavilion many years ago.
I have only this album from Wishbone Ash and listening to it again recently I cant see this changing; one is enough.
7/10

Barry
26-10-2012, 00:30
Great stuff - 9/10.