PDA

View Full Version : Beresford TC-7510 DAC wins Hi Fi Choice award

Dave Cawley
10-01-2009, 09:50
As the title says, page 67 February Hi Fi Choice list the Beresford DAC as Best Buy !

Well done chaps !

Regards

Dave

Covenant
10-01-2009, 10:05
I will have a look for Hi Fi Choice later today but what was the competion?

trailer
10-01-2009, 10:48
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1702

StanleyB
10-01-2009, 10:52
I still can't find a copy of that mag anywhere local!! My missus is going to have a look in WH Smith today. Let's hope she hits the jackpot for me.

I am thinking of running an HFC Best Buy special for the 2nd part of this month. It's cheaper than advertising;). What surprises me though that when I ran the AoS Special a few months ago I only had one inquiry that mentioned AoS:scratch:. So maybe my customers are quite prepared to pay the full price instead of saving a few quid.

Stan

Filterlab
10-01-2009, 10:56
Thanks Trailer. ;)

I've scanned in the review from my copy of the February 2009 Hi-Fi Choice:

http://s560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/random_stuff/TC7510ReviewReduced.jpg

Well done Stan!

Filterlab
10-01-2009, 10:58
Stan, I have a high resolution copy of this file if you want it for your website. I'd have to post it to you though as it's about 30meg.

StanleyB
10-01-2009, 11:18
As luck would have it, I finally got a copy of the mag. Some good writing there. I guess I better update the info on my site so that potential customers are encouraged to read this thread:eyebrows:.

Stan

Filterlab
10-01-2009, 11:19
Lovely jubbly mate. :)

Covenant
10-01-2009, 18:24
Why is it that other components are roughly matched on price when comparisons are made and yet with DAC's no one bats an eyelid comparing £130 to £1200 components?

StanleyB
10-01-2009, 18:39
Why is it that other components are roughly matched on price when comparisons are made and yet with DAC's no one bats an eyelid comparing £130 to £1200 components?
I have been asking that myself.

What the HIFI Choice articles does point out, and that touches on my reason for using certain components, is that the DAC chip sets I use were not so long ago also used in some of the world's most expensive DACs.

anthonyTD
10-01-2009, 20:50
I still can't find a copy of that mag anywhere local!! My missus is going to have a look in WH Smith today. Let's hope she hits the jackpot for me.

I am thinking of running an HFC Best Buy special for the 2nd part of this month. It's cheaper than advertising;). What surprises me though that when I ran the AoS Special a few months ago I only had one inquiry that mentioned AoS:scratch:. So maybe my customers are quite prepared to pay the full price instead of saving a few quid.

Stan

well done stan.:)
anthony...

drumlins4ever
12-01-2009, 22:14
Congrats on the great review
How did the dacmagic fare in the group test?

StanleyB
12-01-2009, 23:07
Didn't pay attention. Upsampling everything, including 16 bit/44.1KHz, to 24bit/192kHz sure can't be healthy in terms of sound accuracy. How many bits are there in a 16 bit sample, and how many in an upsampled 24 bit? Try the same thing on a waveform in Cool Edit Pro and then play the original and upsampled waveform back.

leo
12-01-2009, 23:40
play the original and upsampled waveform back.

Looks shit doesn't it;)
Some people seem to like things added into their music which wasn't there in the first place, some call it added air, others call it colouration:eyebrows:

*jn*
16-01-2009, 17:14
Has anyone got the a scan of the Lavry tests ?

TIA

James

Labarum
16-01-2009, 21:57
Stan, I have a high resolution copy of this file if you want it for your website. I'd have to post it to you though as it's about 30meg.

Try this to send the 30M file.

http://www.yousendit.com/

works well and free.

Thanks for the scan. I have not found a copy yet either.

Filterlab
17-01-2009, 21:33
Try this to send the 30M file.

http://www.yousendit.com/

works well and free.

Thanks for the scan. I have not found a copy yet either.

Cheers, but to be honest I have my own web space anyway.

Labarum
18-01-2009, 21:20
Has anyone got the a scan of the Lavry tests ?

I now have the magazine.

The Cambridge DAC does get the better score, up-sampling or no; but maybe the new Beresford at the same price will match it? For me the lack of a variable output would be a serious flaw - the introduction of a pre-amp into the chain could loose any advantage gained by a better DAC.

Perhaps other reviews should be scanned into to thread for the sake of fair-play; but, speaking of fair-play, what are the copyright issues of posting any scan of a current magazine?

Filterlab
18-01-2009, 23:40
...what are the copyright issues of posting any scan of a current magazine?

Very tricky. In context of a particular product then it is allowable to a certain extent - i.e. posting a review of Stan's product on a forum where Stan is an active member and the discussion is solely about the review and the product, well we may avoid a legal request to remove. However, posting the entirety of the review for all to read without having purchase the magazine (especially when it's from a current issue) could result in very heavy legal action. Hence me posting just the review for the Beresford DAC rather than the whole thing, even then I'm running a risk but I'll take the rap if necessary.