PDA

View Full Version : Legend P300 Power Amplifier

walpurgis
23-05-2012, 23:51
Anybody remember the British made Legend P300 mosfet power amplifier? I bought one new in the eighties and it was the main amp in my system for many years. Sound quality was pretty decent even compared to the valve gear I also used and it had bags of power. Fairly heavy old brute though (and it hummed a bit via the massive power transformer). As I was using Tannoys at the time (and still do), I decided the surplus of power wasn't needed, so I bought and rebuilt a very tidy Leak Stereo Twenty to replace it! Geoff.

Reid Malenfant
24-05-2012, 17:33
I might be off on a tangent here, but did they get bought out by a company called OMP?

I seem to remember a load of OMP mosfet amplifier modules that were very similar to the Hitachi amp that was first released. Simple & fairly bombproof design. Though the OMP amps were available in a range up to about 800W RMS (2 Ohms) per channel.

I'm probably a country mile out :eyebrows:

walpurgis
24-05-2012, 19:35
I don't know of OMP. If I recall correctly Legend just folded. They did by the way make a rather interesting, largish and serious looking KEF driver based active monitor, with a mono variant of their power-amp installed. Never saw one in the flesh though. The P300 power amplifier was pretty decent, but I also had two of the matching pre-amps (can't remember the model number) and they were not great, thin and flat sounding. Shame. Geoff.

walpurgis
24-05-2012, 19:39
By the way, I had the Hitachi HMA-7500 (I think that was the designation) power-amp, which I believe was a mosfet design. Not a patch on the Legend though. Geoff.

Reid Malenfant
24-05-2012, 19:41
By the way, I had the Hitachi HMA-7500 (I think that was the designation) power-amp, which I believe was a mosfet design. Not a patch on the Legend though. Geoff.
Wasn't that the Dynaharmony offering? Class G output stage with dual voltage rails?

I might be going round in ever decreasing circles here, my apologies :)

walpurgis
25-05-2012, 15:11
Blowed if I can remember. It sounded the 'bees knees' to me after my Ferrograph F307, but was blown into the weeds by the Quantum pre/power set-up thet followed. That pair immediately preceded the Legend P300, which was paired with a Rappaport Pre 1. Geoff.

Audioflyer
29-05-2012, 11:44
Anybody remember the British made Legend P300 mosfet power amplifier? I bought one new in the eighties and it was the main amp in my system for many years. Sound quality was pretty decent even compared to the valve gear I also used and it had bags of power. Fairly heavy old brute though (and it hummed a bit via the massive power transformer). As I was using Tannoys at the time (and still do), I decided the surplus of power wasn't needed, so I bought and rebuilt a very tidy Leak Stereo Twenty to replace it! Geoff.

Have you any photo's of it?

walpurgis
29-05-2012, 20:05
I had a look and found one old 35mm print. Its not great though. I'm hoping the scan has uploaded OK, you'll be able to see the wood plinth it was on was rather dusty. Geoff.

Audioflyer
29-05-2012, 21:44
I've found these on the web.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv175/audioflyer/amppcb.jpg

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv175/audioflyer/main.jpg

These amplifiers were design by my old friend Barry Porter (RIP). I may still have some blank pcb 's for the P300 and P150 amplifiers.

Sharif

Reid Malenfant
29-05-2012, 21:47
Nice pics Sharif :)

Those output mosfets are certainly obsolete, though I reckon they could be replaced with others as long as some metalwork is factored into the equation :)

Audioflyer
29-05-2012, 21:57
From memory the P300 was 300 watts and the smaller P150 was 150 watts per channel.

The fet's are obsolete they were later replaced with 2sk405 and 2sj115 but sadly these are now obsolete. :(

Reid Malenfant
29-05-2012, 22:01
I should imagine they'll be lateral power mosfets, in which case you'd be able to get some that'd do the job, but you'd need to modify the way they mount on the heatsinks.

All is not lost :)

walpurgis
29-05-2012, 22:19
From memory the P300 was 300 watts and the smaller P150 was 150 watts per channel.

The fet's are obsolete they were later replaced with 2sk405 and 2sj115 but sadly these are now obsolete. :(

The P300 was rated at 180w per channel, but on review delivered 220w per channel. I may even have the review somewhere.