PDA

View Full Version : Need a solution to crap TV Audio

northwest
21-05-2012, 08:14
Yes, I know - buy mahoosive feck off AV tuner - not!
In the bedroom we have a very nice 32" Samsung telly which isn't six months old. It has a really nice picture and quite possibly the worst audio it has been my misfortune to endure. I have a newish pair of QAcoustic 2010 or 1010 whatever, the ones that are quite good and small enough to be in the bedroom without being obtrusive. We have a nice slimline bluray player that the telly sits on and the missus has somehow wired it up to the Sky system then HDMI to the telly.
What I need is an amplifier. I have a really nice Marantz in the living room that I like a lot but I really don't want to be spending more than the cost of a TV for a simple bedroom setup. I don't even want it to be a "bedroom setup" - I just want to be able to listen to the telly without straining over the toneless, thin, screech that eminates from what Samsung call "speakers" - even the breakfast news, always trying - is tough going on this TV.

Suggestions on a postcard please.

bobbasrah
21-05-2012, 08:28
Have you thought about a Mini T amp Graham?
I seem to recollect Q speakers were a good match with somebody on here...

WAD62
21-05-2012, 10:39
I wonder if we have the same b'room TV, I also have a Samsung 32", bought very cheaply from costco, mine doesn't have a line out only a headphone out. And the sound is indeed shockingly poor...

I'd agree with Bob about the Mini-T, I'm using a bantam so very similar, I'm also using an old DAC to collate the digital sources from my FreeviewHD, DVD player, and SB3.

That's the one downside to the T-Class amps, only one input, but a selectable DAC sorts that out, and the sound is obviously a great deal better...;)

northwest
21-05-2012, 11:11
Have you thought about a Mini T amp Graham?
I seem to recollect Q speakers were a good match with somebody on here...

I have, but how would the volume work? Just full blast on the amplifier and use the TV volume through the headphone out socket to the T Amp? If you know what I mean.

bobbasrah
21-05-2012, 11:44
I have, but how would the volume work? Just full blast on the amplifier and use the TV volume through the headphone out socket to the T Amp? If you know what I mean.

I wonder if you have the same model as Will, ie - no Line Out?
Worth getting a Scart adapter on the back of the TV if that is the case (Ixos ones are pretty decent quality but depends on local availability I'd guess, and you are not looking at feeding the gear downstairs....);)

You'll need to play with TV and BD and amp volume to get the range you are comfortable with, but hopefully the TV will route the audio in and be controllable via the TV remote...:scratch:

PS - Ooops - 3.5 to RCA splitter would do and you could try an adaper later if you fancy. You are feeding amp output via the headphone socket not line signal, which may overload the amp or distort.....

Macca
21-05-2012, 12:25
Cheap, desk top powered computer speakers connected via the headphone jack. Just 1 extra thing to plug in & 1 interconnect. Not a good as T-amp/Q Acoustics but it is only for the telly....

bobbasrah
21-05-2012, 12:44
Cheap, desk top powered computer speakers connected via the headphone jack. Just 1 extra thing to plug in & 1 interconnect. Not a good as T-amp/Q Acoustics but it is only for the telly....

Were it not for the existing speakers going to waste you have a very good point Martin. :cool:

WAD62
21-05-2012, 14:12

Put the amp at 3/4 or less and just use the headphone volume from the remote as a preamp...the T-Amps get a bit ropey towards full wack!

And yes a mini USB/RCA will sort you out nicely...:)

Clive
21-05-2012, 14:29
Were it not for the existing speakers going to waste you have a very good point Martin. :cool:

A pair of semi-decent active computer speakers should cost less than a T-amp.

WAD62
21-05-2012, 14:57
A pair of semi-decent active computer speakers should cost less than a T-amp.

Less than a Mini-T perhaps, but not less than a Muse or similar...and if he already has some speakers looking for a use ;)

amptastic
21-05-2012, 15:43
Hi northwest we can give you a special first order discount on a Mini T amplifier if you're interested in going down that route. There are quite a few forumers using their Mini T's attached to TV, etc. Just drop us a line at sales@amptastic.com.
All the best,
Chris

Richardl
23-05-2012, 04:44
I don't think its a good idea to send you audio signals through your tv.

I'm sure there are small cheap amps like the t-amp that have 2 inputs, just plug the sky box and blu-ray player straight into that, you'll avoid the crappy Samsung audio processing.
Then get a cheap harmony remote to control everything including the volume.

bobbasrah
23-05-2012, 08:27
I don't think its a good idea to send you audio signals through your tv.

I'm sure there are small cheap amps like the t-amp that have 2 inputs, just plug the sky box and blu-ray player straight into that, you'll avoid the crappy Samsung audio processing.
Then get a cheap harmony remote to control everything including the volume.

Although far from ideal, the TV would be the audio and video controller.
Remote controlling the sky, BD, and the volume from each would likely be a pain in the butt.

An alternative option for multiple input might be a 2nd hand amp with remote, albeit that it is likely to be a full size unit. 2nd hand mini system amp, Denon or similar might lower the footprint ?

allsorts
23-05-2012, 09:09
Certainly a lot bigger than a Mini T or Bantam ( which interfered horribly with my tv) but a Yamaha DSP-E800, 3 optical and 2 coax inputs and a remote, if i recall correctly, with connection for just 2 front speakers and a centre - might be a solution? I think one went for 20 pounds just yesterday on ebay UK. The manual is available as free pdf from Yamaha. TVs are obviously sold and designed to connect to sound systems these days going by the absolute crap speakers in them.

northwest
23-05-2012, 09:55
Although far from ideal, the TV would be the audio and video controller.
Remote controlling the sky, BD, and the volume from each would likely be a pain in the butt.

You have no idea how much of a pain as the sky unit is downstairs going through my AV system! She has rigged it up so whatever sky channel is on downstairs will show up on the TV upstairs.
Not really an issue as we don't really spend our evenings in bed watching TV!!
But watching the Breakfast News is really a struggle with the crap sound. Definately going to use the TV remote for the sound and going to go down the T Amp route as it is small and unobtrusive. The Yamaha/Other Brand Name amplifier off ebay is a temptation though but I just can't be having a selection of remotes for the TV upstairs. We have FOUR remotes in the living room, bloody annoying as no matter which one I pick up it's the wrong one!

Gmanuk101
23-05-2012, 10:56
I have my Samsung straight to the mini t amp, currently it's into a berresford dac then to the amp,mow ever enforce that I had it via analogue RCA totheampand it sounded miles better than the tv speakers.

AJSki2fly
08-10-2012, 22:10
I am about to sell a creative lab 5.1 surround sound system that's been in a box in th loft for 2 years. speakers are small butbgiveva good sound, and it has a sub woofer, stereo analog and optical digital input, analog either phono or mini jack inputs.

If your interested let me know. Won't want much.

NRG
09-10-2012, 06:53
How about an all in one soundbar...

northwest
09-10-2012, 07:11
Well Gentlemen, following on from my original post back in May - on or around the 28th of that month I plugged my Mini-T amp in, connected it to a decent set of bookshelf speakers, plugged the headphone out into it and it hasn't given the slightest bit of bother since then. It never gets turned off and it just works.
Great sound too :-)

StanleyB
09-10-2012, 07:11
I have my Samsung straight to the mini t amp, currently it's into a beresford dac then to the amp,mow ever enforce that I had it via analogue RCA to the amp and it sounded miles better than the tv speakers.
I have my TV optical output connected into a Bushmaster DAC and then to a Pioneer remote controlled mini system which drives a pair of JBL Control 1 wall mounted speakers. The Pioneer has a separate subwoofer output which is why I have kept it for all these years for TV duties.

AlexM
12-01-2013, 22:26
How about an all in one soundbar...

±1.

I bought a Yamaha YST 101 for very little and it makes quite a good noise as it has a built in 'sub' that gives surprisingly good bass extension for a small, cheap all in one unit. It also is programmable to learn tv remote codes for on off and volume. Main downside is a single optical input, which may not suit you.

Cheers,
Alex

UV101
12-01-2013, 23:12
Must admit, my tv speakers in my samsung have never seen the light of day, well after the 1st 8 seconds squeaking, that was enough.

Without the Processor, I'd be tempted down the higher quality PC speakers set up route. There are plenty of reasonable 2.1 set ups that will massively enhance the listening experience for little outlay. There are quite a few that as thx certified too ;)

Edit - just seen this, might give you and idea???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-Player-Creative-Inspire-5-1-/251208536594?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3a7d321212