PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 15.05.2012 - Radical Dance Faction (RDF) 'Borderline Cases', 1990

Beechwoods
15-05-2012, 05:48
I'm sure this one will be even more popular than my last proper Album Club submission :)

For me this is an absolute Classic, an album I've loved from the moment I heard it, way back in about 1991. It's the debut album by Radical Dance Faction, a band from Hungerford / Reading, led by a lyrical genius called Chris Bowsher. The band had been around for a number of years before this album came out, and had self-released a couple of excellent tapes and built up a strong live following through festival, squat parties and proper gigs.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods/938776680_7bbfc30c3e_z.jpg

RDF as they were known were part of a scene based around Reading, which included a number of bands with whom they shared members, such that the lines defining which band was which was easily lost. People say they came out of a band called Military Surplus, and Military Surplus got there first with a proper release, on 7" in 1987 on Bluurg records, but the Military Surplus lineup comprised most of the core RDF membership, and continued to play gigs through the 90's alongside the main band, so to be honest it could be argued that Military Surplus were just an alter-ego. In 2004 the bands reformed for occasional shows under the combined name Military Surplus RDF which made a lot more sense.

Anyway, RDF was Chris Bowsher's band, and it's his voice and his lyrics that drive this record. The beautiful vocals of Linda Goodman are the perfect foil, and the musical foundation displays a real musicality and maturity not often seen in similar 'punk / ska / dub' bands.

The standout tracks here are Hot On The Wire, Chinese Poem, Borderline and Surplus People.

Hot On The Wire was written by Chris about his experience of that day in 1987 when Michael Ryan killed 16 and wounded 15 in what was to become described as 'the Hungerford massacre'. It's an intense track, one that sent me off to read more about the events. Chris was quoted briefly in the book 'One Bloody Afternoon' by Jeremy Josephs.

Chinese Poem is about Tiananmen Square.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_Dance_Faction
http://www.myspace.com/radicaldancefaction
http://www.myspace.com/militarysurplusrdf

The full album is available for streaming at Grooveshark:
http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Borderline+Cases/7596879

M3hVVFXJ99o 18C3Fo-oGfQ

jWUwPO2GzvM x0VDAMv68D0

MartinT
15-05-2012, 06:26
Sorry Nick, this is so far away from my taste in music that I feel unable to comment any further :eek:

I think we've discussed before, but it's always interesting to review, the fact that some of us listen to words & lyrics and consider them essential, while others prefer to listen to the sound of the music. I'm definitely in the latter category.

The Grand Wazoo
15-05-2012, 06:33
I don't know this or anything about it.
And now I'm rather intrigued and just a teeny bit frightened after Martin has said what he's said!

Martinh
15-05-2012, 08:56
Hi Nick,

This is brilliant stuff - I'm on my second listen and it's not even 10:00 :)

Reminds me of the late 80s, when I was a teenager.

Only problem is that the guys voice makes me think "Eric Idle does The Specials". ;):)

Nice one,

Martin

Beechwoods
15-05-2012, 11:25
Martin,

I'm really glad you're enjoying it. It is well worth picking up on vinyl or CD. Discogs is a good place to look. There are two versions on vinyl both identical content but one with an earlier white cover and one with the black cover in the image above.

As you might imagine they were a great live band. I saw them around 1993 and they played a blinding set for over 2 hours. It was in a little pub in Peckham! I saw the reformed lineup in 2004 and that was probably even better, with an extended lineup including Steve Swann from Military Surplus who was also the leading light in the Revolutionary Dub Warriors. Their stuff on On-U Sound is well worth getting for an even more straightforward psych-dub sound.

RDF's second LP 'Wasteland' may be of interest too.

John
15-05-2012, 15:35
Sorry not really my thing but glad you pushing the boat out on album club

Beechwoods
16-05-2012, 08:09
It's definitely looking like its going down well :lol:

MartinT
16-05-2012, 08:12
LOL - glad you're taking it well, Nick ;)

Martinh
16-05-2012, 09:47
It's playing on the office system again - everyone here likes it too.

I think you need to live near Reading and be under 46 1/4 years old to appreciate it :lol:

Martin

Beechwoods
16-05-2012, 09:56
LOL - glad you're taking it well, Nick ;)

I'm used to it!

Beechwoods
16-05-2012, 09:58
It's playing on the office system again - everyone here likes it too.

I think you need to live near Reading and be under 46 1/4 years old to appreciate it :lol:

Martin

You must work in a cool office! Best I get is to listen to it on headphones. Kind of subversive given where I work :whistle:

griffo104
16-05-2012, 10:22
I used to own Wasteland.

It has the dubious honour of being the worst album I have ever spent money on.

After giving it to a mate, he then gave it me back as he thought the same as me. I decided to take a hammer to the cd and case to make sure I never had to listen to it again. Ever.

Just noticed on amazon they have one used for £46 - still glad I took a hammer to it as I'm sure if I'd kept it I may have done something stupid like tried to listen to it again.

No surprise I haven't tried listening to this :D I don't care if it's better than Wasteland it brings back too much anger and hate.

Barry
16-05-2012, 10:26
After reading Martin's post I was intrigued, and as I'll give anything a listen I did so.

To my surprise I actually enjoyed listening to the four YouTube clips on offer. This is not my normal cup of tea, but the intelligence of the lyrics coupled with a relentless, driving bass beat worked for me.

At times I was reminded of Ian Dury and the Blockheads, at other times Talking Heads.

Very much of the '80s and needs to be played loud!

However I'm not sure I could listen to a lot of this: my heart and the neighbours wouldn't be able to take much. :lol:

Even so I'm going to give it a middling 5/10.

Well done Nick.

Beechwoods
16-05-2012, 10:33
Thank you Barry - I'm really pleased - it really makes it worthwhile sharing here!

Audioman
16-05-2012, 10:44
Not realy my thing but it does have it's merits. Not sure about the vocals but I did like the dub bass backing. Actualy apart from a dance track style keyboard on track 1 this could have been from 1979. I assume the words having some political or locality related connection with the listener may have a lot to do with perception. Worth 4/10 as it's not something I would listen to more than twice.

Bazil
16-05-2012, 14:50
Liked this straight from the first track, great beat throughout and the vocals are just as catchy/hypnotic whatever. Wouldn't go out of my way to buy it, but I'll add it to my Grooveshark favorites. 7/10

Beechwoods
17-05-2012, 11:40
Good stuff Barry :)

I must be a bit bonkers because as well as the two proper copies of this I have on vinyl I've also got a white label as well :) And CD :eek:

Welder
17-05-2012, 19:41
Hmm, thinking mans Ska perhaps.

Not a problem listening to it but I’m not sure I would go out and buy a copy.
I’ve checked out a few other tracks I found and overall I have the same reservations I have with a great many other Ska style bands; they produce a few tracks I really like and the rest just fades into a beat that doesn’t make me want to concentrate on the lyrics and with this band the lyrics are rather important.

5/10

Spectral Morn
17-05-2012, 21:31
Hawkwind, meets, PIL, meets Suicide.... sort of.

I don't like the vocalists voice, sorry Nick. I don't think it will grow on me either.

That's a no from me.

but its given me an idea for my upcoming stint.

Beechwoods
18-05-2012, 22:32
I'll be interested to see what inspiration I've sparked Neil :)

Stratmangler
18-05-2012, 22:44
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! !!!
It's shite.

Sorry Nick, but this guy is as inspiring as a wet paper bag :doh:
Maybe it works better on a page.....

Beechwoods
18-05-2012, 22:53
Each to their own! Glad I facilitated a chuckle at any rate!

Stratmangler
18-05-2012, 22:56
I'd like to vote, but there aren't any minus values :eek:

Beechwoods
19-05-2012, 05:33
Ouch. When the revolution comes we won't forget ;)

The Grand Wazoo
19-05-2012, 05:57
I needn't have worried about Martins description - it seems a lot better than that to me. I suppose that makes me one of the 'words & lyrics' people then, rather than a 'music first' person? Funny though, because I like instrumental music too.
Anyway, I like music with a message & this has that.
7/10 Thanks for the introduction Nick.

MartinT
19-05-2012, 07:43
Sorry to have led you astray, Chris :)

Jac Hawk
19-05-2012, 22:14
liked everything about it apart from the singers annoying voice, like fingernails down a chalkboard :steam: so for that it's a 5/10 for me

RichB
20-05-2012, 11:12
Gets a 9 from me, I've always loved RDF since being introduced to them and Hawkwind by some stoner mates of mine in the early 90s. It made a nice change from the rave music which everyone was getting off on back then.

I personally prefered 'wasteland' to this album, the track tension-town still reminds me of being a kid going to buy weed in the stinking block of flats near where i lived, and being relieved when both me and the stash made it home safely...

Heady days, very of its time and representative of a particular and strange phase in my personal and musical history. Sometimes its good to be the age we are now!

I think we must live in parallel musical universes Nick, everyone of your suggestions in the spinning today thread has been my cuppa.

Beechwoods
20-05-2012, 12:57
Thanks Rich! I wish they still made music just like this. There's similar but nothing quite as good in my view...

I really like Wasteland as well, but the production is smoother and not quite as exciting as on Borderline.

The reformed lineup recorded an album of new stuff called 'Ammunition' which is currently looking for a distributor / someone to get it pressed and made up. I hope they can do it.

Tim
22-05-2012, 15:21
Well I'm scratching my head a little with this one.................. not sure I would call it music Nick, in fact I'm not sure what I would call it all :scratch:

Still, knowledge is power, but its not really my thing. Scoring purely on its musical merit only, I can only give it 1/10. If I understood what it was all about, I could have maybe given it more.... sorry Nick.

The Grand Wazoo
26-05-2012, 10:04
It makes me think of other artists who've set poetry to music - Patti Smith, G-S Heron, both people with a message and a subversive streak.
Every now & then I like to listen to Mick Farren

spotify:track:1pz0Y3QStuY9VwaSARtTit
spotify:track:4piijIw4OB0mYopdrKafqF

st9gU19Sb64

Beechwoods
26-05-2012, 10:29
I met Mick Farren once. Very nice guy, and very dapper!

The Grand Wazoo
26-05-2012, 10:37
He sounds best when he's got his teeth in!

Barry
26-05-2012, 18:21
The poll results make interesting reading! What's the opposite of a 'Marmite choice'?

Reid Malenfant
28-05-2012, 14:56
Flaming hell Nick :eek: This isn't easy I can tell you. The music isn't bad at all, I actually like it, what I'm having a serious problem with is Mr Monosyllabic :rolleyes:

What it needed was someone to squeeze his balls with a set of mole grips to get some higher notes out of him at the right time :eyebrows:

I'm still plodding through it anyway, will vote when I have managed to get to the end without slitting my wrists ;)

Reid Malenfant
28-05-2012, 15:36
2/10 :rolleyes:

It would have gotten a 7/10 if it wasn't for Mr Happy :lol: I like the music, I just couldn't stand listening to that blokes drawl :(

Barry
28-05-2012, 16:13
I've just listened to the four tracks again, and based on them, I do think Radical Dance Faction are really rather good.

This is intellegent punk at its best. The singer is not monosyllabic, it's just that his vowels are flattened - just like Ian Dury, but no-one ever held that against him!

It has to be played loud - very loud.

Don't think it would be a good idea to listen to it in the car though. :eyebrows:

If I could change my score, I would up it to 7/10. :)

Beechwoods
29-05-2012, 08:23
I'm really glad you've enjoyed it Barry. I only up albums I really care about to 'Album Club' and not all of them are ones with immediate or popular appeal, but they are all ones which have stayed with me for years - its nice when others appreciate them as well :)

Here's a copy of an early one by Military Surplus - Time Of The Dispossessed

FmytfRGPnM8