PDA

View Full Version : Drifting in and out

Filterlab
07-01-2009, 19:54
Do you have periods of time when you just don't listen to your hi-fi?

I only ask as I haven't even switched my power amp on for at least three weeks. I've spent about 25 minutes listening to music in that time but it's been through my Sennheiser headphones (cheapies, not even decent cans) rather than using the amp and speakers. Oddly I haven't missed it at all, yet I love listening to music.

Anyone else find this?

John
07-01-2009, 21:01
I gone a few days but tend to suffer withdrawl sysmptons after that

Primalsea
07-01-2009, 21:38
It waxes and wains for me too. Dedicated listening everyday for hours on end would border on OCD, a bit like talking to strange men on forums on a daily basis.

Marco
07-01-2009, 21:55
As I work from home I listen to a lot of music, on average for 4 or 5 hours a day, and sometimes more.

However, some of it is 'background listening', not 'serious listening', if you see my meaning, when simply music is playing but I'm not concentrating fully on it.

There are periods at work when I'm out visiting customers or on-site seeing through a particular corporate design project, so of course I can't listen to music then, but since moving to Wales most of my work (through choice) is now done from home so it's just too tempting having a nice system and music collection at your disposal and not to use it! It would just be terribly rude :eyebrows:

Also, like John, after a few days of non-listening I get withdrawal symptoms and can't wait to play some tunes - this is particularly apparent on return from summer holidays. Two weeks or more is just too long without some quality music, so one of the first things I do when I get home is open a nice bottle of wine, or have a few beers, and stick on some sounds :gig:

Perish the thought of going without music for any longer!

Marco.

P.S I also think it depends how good your system is - does it MAKE you want to play music? Mine most certainly does!

Filterlab
07-01-2009, 22:03
My system definitely makes me want to listen, lots and lots, but being in a flat I'm a little restricted as far as a presentable volume level goes. It used to be different when I had a nice neighbour downstairs, but now I have a postal worker living downstairs (say no more) I've had to cut right back. If it was a different situation then I'd be listening non-stop to be honest and I don't think I'd drift in and out of listening spells, but I'll have to wait a couple of years before I can move into a detached house again and start enjoying it fully. Still, I'll grab a pair of decent cans this week and move my listening to those.

Beechwoods
07-01-2009, 22:04
It waxes and wains for me too. Dedicated listening everyday for hours on end would border on OCD, a bit like talking to strange men on forums on a daily basis.

How do you know we're all men :eyebrows:

I go for periods when I don't listen to stuff on my main system, but I do listen to a lot of music. One day I expect to get an amp and speakers that will have the visceral affect I think Marco gets from his system, but at the moment it'd wake up the kids and have the neighbours on the doorstep :) I do miss the feeling of being in a club or gig and really feeling the music.

Unfortunately, while I have a room dedicated to all my stuff, that particular upgrade will require a mortgage and a move to the country, seeing as we live in a dinky semi :)

Beechwoods
07-01-2009, 22:05
LOL it sounds like me and you have the same problem, Rob.

Filterlab
07-01-2009, 22:08
LOL it sounds like me and you have the same problem, Rob.

Yeah, it's a bummer, especially as in 2002 I had a huge detached house all bought and paid for up in Scotland, but that's life. At least I have the appreciation for hi-fi and the means to enjoy it, another house will be along soon. :)

Marco
07-01-2009, 22:20
I feel for you guys, I do, honestly, really... So what are "neighbours", then? :scratch: :eyebrows: :gig: :ner:

;)

Marco.

Filterlab
07-01-2009, 22:25
A pain generally. :lol: Still, only a short while to go and then I can settle into a £500k mortgage.