PDA

View Full Version : TAD CR-1 speakers

Mr. C
09-05-2012, 11:01
It has been a long time since this battle hardened dealer has managed to genuinely secure the time to put a few thoughts to paper so to speak. Workloads, design trips and CE testing have all taken their toll in the last few years.

This occasion however I felt it was time to reverse that trend, it takes a very special piece of equipment to encourage me to find the time to sit and construct my thoughts, so it needs to generate/instil those moments you obtain so rarely in life.

Like performing your first 12000 feet solo jump over Babdown airfield, taking a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta around Fiorano, hitting your first sub 10 second ¼ mile run @ Santa Pod on a turbo Kawasaki 1400 with nitrous, watching the very first Monsters of rock 1980 as an impressionable 14 year old. Or by the grace of God (Or Richard Dawkins six sense for those atheists among you) managing to find the good lady’s ‘G’ spot without the aid of a whisk, rubber gloves or Action Man’s deep sea diver’s helmet. All these moments make life worth living.

So I did a little digging in the achieves earlier today and discovered the last time I was compelled to share my thoughts on a piece of audio was back in March 2006 when the Esoteric X-01LE graced my listening room for the first time.

The Esoteric has such a profound effect I wrote a small tomb on that beastie.
That particular CD/SACD player generated one of the seminal moments for me that has happened so rarely in my personal audio journey.

The previous ‘Wow moment’ which will surprise a few people here!

I was auditioning a very early Chord Dac 64 against a Wadia 301 (at a now sadly defunked dealers on the south coast), some ten years ago now! How time flies as the years advance.

For the first time I remember being completely and utter smitten with it infectious ballsy power, solid presence and massive staging, at that point for me I had never heard CD sound that good period.
Now four weeks later I sold the dac 64 for a far more musical piece (another story) however that sensation/feeling of ‘Wow’ never departs it leaves fond memories of being totally over awed by that moment in time you were just transported to another plane of musical entertainment.

Clichés parked for while, very few moments in audio cause the proverbial hairs on the back of your neck stand firmly to attention. From the moment the first note of the very bar is struck to the last crashing crescendo as the Stratocasters body is sent into the gathered crowd in a thousand or so pieces! It makes you feel damn good to be alive.

At that point in first time I had actually realised that CD replay had really come of age, despite owning many first class digital replay systems Wadia’s, DCS, Weiss and Accuphase all of which are superb machines in their own right.

I had always felt there was something missing from the sound whatever system you played them with, it was either ‘too nice or safe’ Like listening to Audiophile Jazz recordings in comfy slippers whilst shot up with pethidine and lashings and lashing of Horlicks. A well known industry figure one cited to me........... “It’s like listening to digital with the corners knocked off”

Conversely it could be so dynamically etched you didn’t need a pay for a painter to redecorate your pad or felt a visit to the doctors for ear wax removal was for whimps and 4th term public school boys who lost out in dormitory wanking (*Masturbation for those PC folk*) races regularly during spring term time. I believe Matron was always on hand to assist in those circumstances!

So when Esoteric launched the X series of players here in the UK in 2006 I’d realised they (Esoteric) had found that lost musical elixir, with their capability of presenting a ‘real’ approximation of musical insight and expressiveness with a true natural pace and rhythm. I was again totally and categorically blown away, from recollection I listened to more music that year that I had for a long time such was the infectious nature of the Esoteric’s performance.

The reason for all this per amble is simple, very few items of audio equipment make me go ‘that’s not to shabby’ and even fewer make you go ‘Wow’ However there are a select few that only come along once in a blue moon that demand your complete and utter attention and captivate you like no other.

This is a tale of just one such product which just happens to be loud speaker.
Now with loudspeakers I am pretty convinced is the most personal piece of equipment in your audio system. The one piece you take the most time to select in your pursuit of Audio heaven.

On the whole the most time is taken in selecting these objects that adorn our listening rooms and generate the end result of all our system building techniques. Thus most folk serious on purchasing new speakers will audition at least four different pairs during transducer ‘hunting season’

Which is completely understandable given they are usually a medium to large box shaped with odd looking angles and drivers (sometimes coloured) that have to pass two very important criteria.

First the potential purchases thoughts:-

“Does it sound good mate?”

“looks alright”

“Can I get 100dB in room?”

“Does it come in gloss black”

Second criteria

THE WIFE

“If you think you’re having those pig ugly things in my room you can ...........”

“Sure you can have those dear, just make sure you have a good lawyer”

“What planet do you think I come from?”

Ok that’s just a light hearted look at speaker selection; however speakers can make or break an audio system absolutlely.

Forgive my digression for a moment back to the meat and potatoes; I have been fortunate enough to own / co habituate with some of the most realistically desirable speakers around. From big Focal Utopia’s, Wilson Slam’s, MBL’s, Logan Summits , Magico’s, Apogee’s, Meadowlark, Thiels, Von Schweikert, Sonus Faber’s etc.

It is long and illustrious list, though few have made it to personal system all generate sounds that draw people towards their presentation making it ‘Their’ type of speaker without question.

Over the years I have found that of all of the equipment in a person’s audio system it is the speakers that are the least changed and held in most regard. In short people are far more precious about their speakers than anything else, hence the heated debates when it comes to speaker selection amongst the audio fraternity.

This portion deals specifically with my thoughts on my latest speaker acquisition.
I have been on the hunt for a good twelve months or so now to replace my previous references due to changing residences.

Moving to London has left me a void in my main listening room which was very special. So drawing up a short list to replace the previous high calibre speakers was not going to be an easy task given the room dimensions I now have. However all good things comes to those who wait as they say.

After an extensive ongoing search I was introduced to the TAD CR-1 in Belgium last October in a room which we will say was ‘sufficient’.

From the very first note I realised these speakers were incredibly good indeed, not a great deal of equipment currently available really moves me, however I was riveted to the listen seat all evening.
The CR stands for ‘Compact Reference’, which in itself is an oxymoron given the fact they are neigh on 1100mm high and almost half a meter deep and weigh close to 70Kg! Sense of humour there TAD

The full monty ‘Reference One’ TAD speaker is so highly regarded it is used exclusively at Air studio’s in their mastering suite by none other than Ray Staff!

Such is performance of these mighty speakers that one of the most prestigious studios on the planet have selected TAD as their reference transducers.

A few facts regarding the TAD CR-1s

A genuine 3 way stand mount utilising a patented coaxial driver (CST) technology that employs not just a Beryllium tweeter (3.5cm) but a Beryllium mid range cone (16cm) as well .
Thus perfectly matching the mid range frequency /speed and driver stiffness capability to the tweeters high frequency 100 KHz potential.

This unifies the acoustic centre of the tweeter and midrange and reconciles the phase and directional characteristics through the crossover range. The CST Driver is thus a large step forward for coaxial speakers, enabling ultra wide range reproduction of 250Hz to 100 kHz, accompanied by a directivity pattern which neatly dampens without disruption across all bands. The result is extremely clear and stable imaging, a wide frequency response and incredibly rich and natural sounding reproduction. A seamless integration between all frequencies is achieved with ease through the use of these patented engineering techniques and implementation.

Bass is taken care via a 20cm Tri-laminate composite cone with a short length voice coil and proprietary Optimised Field Geometry Magnet Structure (OFGMS) to obtain the best possible magnetic field generation for the given demands placed on the driver by the music.

The TLCC (Tri-Laminate Composite Cone) aramid diaphragm has a triple-laminated construction that provides near ideal physical properties. The suspension system employs TAD’s traditional corrugated edge, further contributing to the high linearity. Which delivers superb rich and clear lowend-bass, leaving a mid-bass free of coloration and artefacts.

In order to make the most of the linear performance of the 20cm (8.0 in.) bass driver and its suspension, the bass reflex port is aerodynamically optimized based on precise fluid design technology refined by TAD professionals. This flare-shaped port produces absolutely no air noise or rectification effects, even when the bass driver unit is driven at the limit of its excursion range, achieving deep, clear, texturious and supremely articulate bass.

The cabinet construction named ‘SILENT’ (Structurally Inert Laminated Enclosure Technology) cabinet, inherited from the TAD Reference One, is a compact 63cm (25 in.) in height. It has a strong internal framework formed by 21mm (0.9 in.) thick CNC machined birch plywood clad with high frequency hot press formed laminated MDF panels, resulting in extremely high strength. The 27.5mm (1.1 in.) thick aluminium base lowers the centre of gravity and stabilizes the cabinet against the forces generated by the powerful bass driver motor system. Combining differing materials in this way both distributes and minimizes the enclosure resonances and achieves high vibration control. Its flowing teardrop shape minimizes sound diffraction and unwanted resonance from internal standing waves. With a beautiful piano-like finish of natural Pommele Sapele wood, the cabinet imparts an air of elegant craftsmanship.

The finish on the cabinets is simply stunning, having run a high quality refinishing paint shop for luxury cars I have no problem in stating it is one of the flattest paint (Lacquer) finishes I have ever had the pleasure of caressing!

When you enter the listening room they do not dominate the proceedings despite being quite large, you are aware of the presence though they do not draw attention to themselves like some speakers do by standing out like a pride of lions at a Zebra convention. More of a quiet room blending in to the back ground.

http://www.nunudistribution.co.uk/images/Rs1.jpg

Walking around the CR-1’s you cannot fail to notice these beautiful pieces of audio, you also can’t help but admire the attention to detail and sheer craftsmanship on display, make no mistake this real artisan workmanship at its best.

To the crux then, how do they sound?

Well I could go into the usual journalistic gushing superlatives and descriptive pro’s that certain members of the UK Audio press are renowned for.

However on this occasion two words sum up the CR-1’s succinctly ‘Liquid music’
What about the rest I hear you cry?

Well simply put these speakers portray music in a way I have never heard from any other transducer I have owned or passed through my hands before, and that is lot of speakers. My guess would be at least 250+ pairs in the twelve years or so.

Dual concentric drivers correctly implemented deliver a very open, cohesive and spacious linear sound and the TAD CR-1 are no exception they just take this concept to another level of performance.

Couple this with Beryllium driver technology, superbly design cross over slopes and carefully selected components and an incredibly inert and beautiful enclosure, then what you are left with is one very special speaker.

Capable of delivering genuine realism on scale I’ve never witnessed before (for the cabinet size). The delicacy the CR-1 they produce can be liken to a ruby throated hummingbird dancing for it's nectar between the flowers on the banks of the Mississippi. Like the way it commands it’s amazing wings, perfectly under control with whisper like precision and immediacy.

Tonal accuracy is superb, full bloodied piano strikes on mid crescendo as with Mozart’s Piano Concerto in C major have such richness and decay yet retain all the dynamic contrast you could wish for, right until the note disappears into the canyon like distance.

With their breathtaking ability to render the textural landscapes so organically, you feel like you could reach out and ‘touch’ the sound such is the performance in this area it’s quite breathtaking.

Spatial acuity, staging and perceptual depth all these traits add to creating a genuine realistic portrayal of reproduced music.

Long it has been the domain of the electrostatic panel to reproduce those holographic ‘hear through’ moments, huge open staging and vocal renditions that make even grown men weep.

Not any more, imagine the best Static panel, only this time with real depth, I mean cavernous depth of stage, real ‘chewy texture’ and genuine bass extension with the ability to truly disappear from not just the room but the whole system.

The TAD CR-1’s are the first speaker I have pleasure of listening too that completely and utterly removes the rest of audio chain from the replay arena, it is quite a feat and it takes some getting used to I might add!

Did I mention timing? Whoa boy do these babies time, I’ve never heard such a linearly correct sound as the CR-1’s, whether you are a fan boy of Ozric Tentacles, enjoy Mahler’s ability to test an Orchestra’s stamina to the limit or revel in Geezer Butler’s throbbing bass lines in ‘Lady Evil’ then as they say ‘You aint heard nothing yet!”

TAD CR-1’s command metronomic precision in the timing department with a bass extension that defies the cabinet size at least five fold, previous holders of the title ‘*Cock sure bass timing champ*’ have been Meadowlark’s Blue Heron two’s, Focal Nova Utopia’s.

Now the TAD CR-1 rewrites those rules, whatever musical genre you play on these speakers, it will remains totally and utterly rock steady, absolutely pitch perfect even with an Iain Paice or Cozy Powell drum solo these speakers are demonstrably unflappable.

Because these are stand- mount speakers, do not be fooled into thinking they cannot recreate scale or generate a serious room filling presence.

TAD have created a relatively small enclosure that can deliver concert levels of ‘realistic’ volume, yet in a heartbeat reduce the ‘loud button’ to a merest murmur and the structure and composure of the music remains wholly intact even the rhythmic patterns of complex bass lines are clearly audio able and distinct, no one note wonders here!

The biggest compliment I pay these speakers is this:-

When you are listening to a audio system with Compact Reference 1 in attendance then all you hear is the music the way the artist place the track down on the medium you are listening to music, not the equipment or the room.

Which brings me nicely on to one of the closing points now, room interaction, the biggest killer of quality audio reproduction (*Apart from all Naim system*) is without question the room / speaker interface.

Now some high quality speakers are very pedantic, they are like Italian women, you have to wake them up genteelly in the mornings, feed them the finest foods, give them the stylish clothes, take them to the finest bars, then and only then can you thrash them silly for the rest of day

Certain speaker brands take a large amount of time to really find they ‘sweet spot’ placement area, some speakers do have a great deal of treble beam, so no hard surfaces too near, other generate a large amount of cabinet resonance. Room mode generation with some speakers can be problematic.

Some require large amount of free space about their person to truly begin to work as they were conceived.

Not the TAD CR-1’s, one of the most room friendly speakers I’ve ever listened to; they simply just get right out of the way, to the point of disbelief sometimes. The design of the speakers appears to lend itself to ‘fitting right in at home’ which is a great trick and very few speakers can emulate this.

To bring this chapter to a close, my summery of the TAD CR-1’s:-

One of the finest pieces of audio design and engineering I’ve had the pleasure of listening too period.
They produce what I would describe as liquid music, truly organic, incredibile palpability and touchable. Laced with sheer realism, yet no hard edges or falseness to the sound, they are as grain free as the finest Mohair yet have seemingly limitless headroom (for their size) without fuss or fatigue.

They are surprising forgiving too, unlike a lot of revamped studio monitor designs the CR-1’s have sweetness and fluidity to them that even some of the most highly regarded speakers cannot compete with.

In a nice turn of events they are also free of ‘artificial top end sparkle’ which so many manufacturers are guilty of adding as they feel it is a must have trait, so many Audiophiles seem to identify with this. Personally I prefer to hear the real deal not some injected ‘additive’ into the mix.

In fact these speakers cause you just melt into the music and consequently never want to switch off your system. Such is their ability to draw you into their web of pure unadulterated, sweet, rhythmic and beautifully grain free open sounds.

In case you had not guessed by now, I’m one very contented camper.

They are no such things as the perfect speakers, probably never will be, however the TAD CR-1’s go a very long way to quelling that statement.

All comments made with asterisks are a *JOKE*

http://www.nunudistribution.co.uk/images/Rs2.jpg