PDA

View Full Version : What is this and how do I join it ?

MikeMusic
07-05-2012, 15:32
I have had a good look at the the cut jumpers in my Isobarik crossovers, thanks to David @ Radlett pointing them out

The material looks like a cheap wire coat hanger material, about the same thickness, but softer so I can bend it.
I can probably make all 12 in each crossover touch each other. I assume soldering or similar is the way to go to get a good join.
2 different sizes, one size around 50mm long, comes up from the PCB for 3-4mm and runs straight to the other end, albeit with a cut in the middle now- then down into the PCB for 3-4mm. The other size is around 10mm long, same 3-4mm up from the PCB and cut in the middle.

It has been cut in half, is not perfectly clean, soldered at each end of what was the original jumper, now in 2 pieces, both soldered into the PCB
I assume it will need a load of heat before being ready to solder, (heavy duty iron ?) and I'm not the best soldering fettler going

I'm guessing cleaning the ends before soldering - with alcohol, emery paper, a.n.other ?
and apply solder

Much bigger job taking all out and replacing. I think that will be beyond me

I want to change to one set of stereo cables with the jumpers in place

Advice gratefully received

DSJR
07-05-2012, 15:44
If you choose to get the replacement cables from hifi dave, take the crossover boards to him and he'll weld the links back together for you.

MikeMusic
09-05-2012, 14:31
If you choose to get the replacement cables from hifi dave, take the crossover boards to him and he'll weld the links back together for you.

We are speaking, thanks
He pointed out that it *is* cable. The super chunky stuff that looks like/is a solid bit of material, not stranded
I might have a go myself.