PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy?

icehockeyboy
06-05-2012, 00:08
There are three things, all at a similar price that I would like, but can only justify buying one of them, the wife says not even the one is not justified, but hey ho......:lol:

Anyway, they are.......Tellurium Black speaker cable.........MCRU PSU for the Touch, .........and the soon to be released Bushmaster dac.

My question to you is which one do I go for to get the biggest and best SQ increase?

I guess I am a detail freak, but appreciate a nice tight bass, and a not overly forward mid, but sadly as mentioned before, I have been in the radio and club business too long for it not to have affected my ears, having said that, I noticed an immediate improvment over the Belkin speaker cable when they were replaced by TQ Blue.

come on boys, your honest opinions please. :)

YNWaN
06-05-2012, 08:20
My honest opinion is to go with your wife's view on this matter.

vouk
06-05-2012, 08:35
My honest opinion is to go with your wife's view on this matter.

Because she's always right about everything.

chelsea
06-05-2012, 08:48
Music.

icehockeyboy
06-05-2012, 09:16
Music.

Don't need any more music, I have Spotify Premium.

Premium dude...............................Premium! :lol:

As for the other two replies, the wife says you are right.

I say with answers like that you should be in the tent. :ner:

Ali Tait
06-05-2012, 09:28
PSU for the Touch.

morris_minor
06-05-2012, 09:51
PSU for the Touch.

+1

chelsea
06-05-2012, 10:00
Don't need any more music, I have Spotify Premium.

Premium dude...............................Premium! :lol:

As for the other two replies, the wife says you are right.

I say with answers like that you should be in the tent. :ner:

Fair enough.
Get the other 3 walls papered in L.ashley then.:)

icehockeyboy
06-05-2012, 10:04
Fair enough.
Get the other 3 walls papered in L.ashley then.:)

Too late, they're done! Git! :D

DSJR
06-05-2012, 11:19
Just get in some live unamplified music like a jazz band at a local pub and realise how truly crap ALL "HIFI" systems really are. It'll put these overpriced foo me-too add-ons into better perspective.

It's my view right now that the "improvements" they are supposed to make are not at all in doubt, but in reality, the differences are tiny and only relevant because "we've" worked ourselves to fever-pitch over minutae and the tiniest thing seems to make a difference. Just chill and enjoy your wife (:eyebrows:) and your stereo as it is :)

Canetoad
06-05-2012, 11:54
PSU for the Touch.

+1

seoirse2002
06-05-2012, 11:57
interesting.....psu for the touch over bushmaster? how so?:mental:

Canetoad
06-05-2012, 12:11
A new DAC is only going to shine with the best signal from the Touch. The PSU really does make a difference, improving the signal to whatever DAC you currently use. At a later point get the Bushmaster and it will sound even better! :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
06-05-2012, 12:31
Yes, that was my thinking too.

The Grand Wazoo
06-05-2012, 13:35
Not to wish ill towards Stan's new DAC, but there are an awful lot of assumptions being made at the moment about it's sound quality.
The OP wanted to know-

My question to you is which one do I go for to get the biggest and best SQ increase?

There are only a handful of people who are possibly qualified to answer that in respect of the Bushmaster and, (I'd bet) not one who's auditioned all three items.
Buy some music & enjoy it.

Ali Tait
06-05-2012, 13:49
Yep, but I do have two of the three items.

icehockeyboy
06-05-2012, 18:08
Yep, but I do have two of the three items.

Two out of three ain't bad.........:D

icehockeyboy
06-05-2012, 18:09
Not to wish ill towards Stan's new DAC, but there are an awful lot of assumptions being made at the moment about it's sound quality.
The OP wanted to know-

There are only a handful of people who are possibly qualified to answer that in respect of the Bushmaster and, (I'd bet) not one who's auditioned all three items.
Buy some music & enjoy it.

Got Spotify Premium.........

Ali Tait
06-05-2012, 18:14
Two out of three ain't bad.........:D

:lol:

YNWaN
06-05-2012, 18:27
Because she's always right about everything.

I think she is in this case

But if you must, the PSU option does seem the most logical.

Spur07
06-05-2012, 18:54
Just get in some live unamplified music like a jazz band at a local pub and realise how truly crap ALL "HIFI" systems really are. It'll put these overpriced foo me-too add-ons into better perspective.

It's my view right now that the "improvements" they are supposed to make are not at all in doubt, but in reality, the differences are tiny and only relevant because "we've" worked ourselves to fever-pitch over minutae and the tiniest thing seems to make a difference. Just chill and enjoy your wife (:eyebrows:) and your stereo as it is :)

+1

StanleyB
07-05-2012, 09:09
Embarrassingly so :rolleyes:. I have been a extremely hesitant in talking about the sound quality of the Bushmaster, preferring instead to leave that to others who have had a chance to listen to the DAC. Sometimes a eureka moment is best kept low key until far more people have had a chance to concur with the initial findings.
Working on and listening to the Bushmaster is like having all the winning numbers from the lottery, but being too afraid to go to bed in case it turns out to be just a dream. I have to keep pinching myself just to make sure I am awake.

Reid Malenfant
07-05-2012, 17:21
Embarrassingly so :rolleyes:. I have been a extremely hesitant in talking about the sound quality of the Bushmaster, preferring instead to leave that to others who have had a chance to listen to the DAC.
Apologies Stan, but I may well have missed quite a bit then, as I only recall you yourself mentioning it on this forum? :scratch: I honestly don't recall any other member commenting on the sound quality, please feel free to point out posts by others & I'll personally apologise for this post & having missed the others.

Sometimes a eureka moment is best kept low key until far more people have had a chance to concur with the initial findings.
Working on and listening to the Bushmaster is like having all the winning numbers from the lottery, but being too afraid to go to bed in case it turns out to be just a dream. I have to keep pinching myself just to make sure I am awake.
:lol: I thought you were embarrassed to talk about it? :confused: Yet you appear to have won the equivalent of the lottery, I'm assuming that you mean sound wise...

Here's hoping it's as good as you apparently think or know it is! :cool:

Good health :)

StanleyB
07-05-2012, 17:41
Thank you for your critical comments :). I'll assume that you are not impressed by my post and your line "Here's hoping it's as good as you apparently think or know it is! " are a direct reflection of that. But rest assured that I am not perturbed by the sideways swipe at what I wrote. I could of course spend the time debunking your suggestion of foul play and link to the various thread locations in order to back up my claims and show up your comments for what they are, but is it worth the time and effort? Life is too short to worry about people with an alternative agenda :).

Reid Malenfant
07-05-2012, 17:45
Stan, I have no agenda as I'm not attempting to sell anything or get anyone to buy anything anyone else manufactures :)

StanleyB
07-05-2012, 17:53
Good to know that. So stay of my case ;).

Reid Malenfant
07-05-2012, 18:01
Good to know that. So stay of my case ;).
Excuse me? I'm not on your case Stan, though you appear to be forcing my hand :rolleyes:

Perhaps you had better link to these posts on here from other members that have heard the prototype Bushmaster.

It's a totally legitimate request after all, then I'll give you this apology I have promised having seen them.

StanleyB
07-05-2012, 18:10
If you look up the thread HERE (http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14017) that Covenant started and go through it, you'll come across comments from several people who have had a Bushmaster to play with, or got to listen to it at my place.

If you need individual pages as a link, well tough. You just gonna have to chew on your liver and do your own page crawling. I don't owe you any favours, and can see only negative vibes coming from your direction. It's plain for all to see.

I'll go and listen to some tunes instead of wasting valuable time on my keyboard trying to ascertain your current mental state :).

Reid Malenfant
07-05-2012, 18:44
I'll go through that when I have a little more time to go through 39 pages :)

The only person with negative vibes here is you Stan, I have been perfectly pleasant as everyone can see. It's not myself insinuating that someone has a problem in their head.

As I say, I'll go through that thread tomorrow & see if anyone other than yourself has commented on what they have heard themselves. If I find more than one member has indeed heard the prototype & gives it the big thumbs I'll have to assume that it's not just you hyping things up & then you'll get an apology from me as I said previously :cool:

Good idea, don't waste your time ;)

jandl100
08-05-2012, 06:53
Apologies Stan, but I may well have missed quite a bit then, as I only recall you yourself mentioning it on this forum? :scratch:

Woo! :eek:

That is simply not true!

There have been several very positive comments from others who have heard the Bushmaster DAC.

You really should check your facts, and not rely on your clearly biased preconceptions before you come out with that sort of crap, Mark. :doh:

But, yeah, Stannie Boy is laying it on a bit thick at the moment! :lol:

The Grand Wazoo
08-05-2012, 07:09
In Mark's defence, Jerry, he did say (as in your quote) that he couldn't recall anyone else mentioning it and he apologised for missing it if it were the case.
Whether other people commented or not, what Mark recalls is what he recalls - it is true and it doesn't need Mark to check it.

jandl100
08-05-2012, 07:13
Well, no, I don't agree.

In the context of the severity of the accusation being made, I think a forum moderator of all people should check the validity of their recollection.

Marco
08-05-2012, 08:15
Guys,

I'm filing this little fracas under 'much ado about nothing'. It was clearly a misunderstanding involving Mark and Stan, and Jerry simply picked up on the inconsistencies.

Anyway, I don't want this stuff dragging on any longer, so let's give it up now and get things back on track - cheers! :)

Marco.

roob
08-05-2012, 08:51
Does this forum allow a manufacturer to hype up its own product ?
Seems a bit odd to me.

Marco
08-05-2012, 09:03
Andy,

Given, what I've just asked, that's not helpful.

Please confine any future comments to being about the merits or otherwise of the product itself, not the manufacturer - and that request applies to everyone.

Any further comments of an alternative nature will be removed and the thread locked.

Marco.

seoirse2002
08-05-2012, 09:45
Hear Hear Marco,
I,for one,dont have a dac,and have been waiting for the bushmaster,based on posts I have seen on here about the last beresford dac. I have to say though,I would not buy it just on the strength of what the seller said as there is obviously a vested interest there. Im sure most of us read reviews on products before we buy,and hopefully independant ones,not coloured in any way.
I would imagine that most would be waiting for a number of positive reviews before parting with the hard earned. There again, every pair of ears are different. I agree with you on locking the post also as I have previously left forums because of the infighting and bitching that went on,and wasn't nice to read.
I enjoy reading the posts,(especially the funny ones) and have been helped by forum members and bought a couple of nice items,and opinions of other members are always worth a read,whether good or bad.
On the other hand....there is the issue of censorship,and free speech.
Its a thin line that needs to be treaded carefully,for everyone concerned,and locking the post without the issue being resolved,may not help matters.
Im sure the "actual" issue will work itself out.

Marco
08-05-2012, 10:19
Hi George,

Sure, and thanks for your comments, which I agree with enitirely. I've no intention of locking the thread, as long as everyone behaves themselves, which appears to be the case now, so let's return to the proper topic in hand :)

Marco.

jandl100
08-05-2012, 10:22
Back OT ....

I've heard very good reports of PSU upgrades for the SB. But to my ears it's a flawed source anyway and you'd be much better off with a good CD player! :whistle: But an upped PSU is supposed to help.

Tellurium Black speaker cable? Mmmmm. Personally I'd invest in some Cable Talk3 speaker cables. I demmed some and to my amazement my £700 Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables hit the classifieds soon after! ;) The Talk3 are easily the best speaker cables I have heard. And only about £65 for a terminated 3m pair. :thumbsup:

Personally, though, I'd wait on the release of the Bushmaster DAC. I feel sure there will be many opinions expressed about it, here and elsewhere! :D

seoirse2002
08-05-2012, 10:59
so much food for thought....
Im not much better off than I was before,I dont know why,but the idea of spending more than the touch cost me on a psu for it just doesent do it for me,and where can I hear the difference? Its not like they have it on demo in my local hi fi emporium(in fact they dont have a touch at all) and Im happy with the sound as it is,but ignorance can be bliss...similarly,I dont have a dac,so the same applies and no opportunity to listen to one, yet all I read here is"what a great difference" they make? ...sounds more open,more analogue, etc etc. All talk of "bit perfect" "mods" usb versus toslink goes straight over my head....
At least I know analogue as all I have to do is put some vinyl on...
On a different note,Ive just got an ipad for the wifes birthday....what a great remote for the touch!!!
Now I believe that I can stream itunes from the ipad to my hi fi with no quality loss? and not too expensive either.
I already have home sharing set up,so "see" itunes on the ipad..
What do I need to connect to the hi fi wirelessly and play tunes from the ipad?( I have no dac) I use a pc by the way,wife uses an imac...all music on external hd but soon to link up nas
If this has been covered in another post I apologise...

Canetoad
08-05-2012, 11:53
On a different note,Ive just got an ipad for the wifes birthday....what a great remote for the touch!!!

Hi George. What app are you using on the iPad to control the Squeezebox? :)

seoirse2002
08-05-2012, 14:36
Hi Bernie,
Its logitechs own one....downloaded free and seems to mirror the sbt itself..its nothing fancy but does all I want it to do,which basically means I dont have to keep getting up and using the touch itself....more importantly for me,it turns the ipad into a BIG remote...love it

John
08-05-2012, 20:11
I heard the Bushmaster a few months ago I live quite close to Stan and took up a invite
I was very impressed with what I heard lots of resolution and detail I think for those wanting a SPDIF based DAC this will be the one to check out. I have not heard it against other DACs or in my system (which would give me a better idea of what price range it completes against) but heard enough systems and DACs to believe this will scare a lot of the big boys
I think not long for people to hear and judge for themselves

Darren
09-05-2012, 14:45
Id ask that very nice man at Mains Cables are us if i could borrow a power supply and the cable and then sit and listen and decide if it sounded like £200 better to me. If not I'd put my name down for the dac.

Simples.......

Reid Malenfant
09-05-2012, 17:03
I heard the Bushmaster a few months ago I live quite close to Stan and took up a invite
I was very impressed with what I heard lots of resolution and detail I think for those wanting a SPDIF based DAC this will be the one to check out. I have not heard it against other DACs or in my system (which would give me a better idea of what price range it completes against) but heard enough systems and DACs to believe this will scare a lot of the big boys
I think not long for people to hear and judge for themselves
Right I'm guessing that is two people including Jerry (Covenant) that have heard the pre-production version of the Bushmaster ;)

So I owe Stan an apology on that one for either not seeing the relevant posts in the thread, or it slipping my memory - so sorry about that one Stan :)

Over & out.

Reffc
17-05-2012, 11:06
I would spend the money wisely...on room acoustic treatment. That will give the best sonic improvements.

Stratmangler
17-05-2012, 11:51
Back OT ....

I've heard very good reports of PSU upgrades for the SB. But to my ears it's a flawed source anyway and you'd be much better off with a good CD player! :whistle: But an upped PSU is supposed to help.

Which Squeezebox Jerry?
Was it standalone, or working on LMS?
Was there an external DAC involved, if so which DAC?
Did you use Triode's HiDef audio plugin?
Did you use Triode's screen off plugin?

I might suppose that you've not heard one with a linear PSU (neither have I, so I wait to be enlightened).

Ali Tait
17-05-2012, 12:01
Th PSU is well worth it mate.

Stratmangler
17-05-2012, 12:14
Th PSU is well worth it mate.

Thanks Ali, I'll look into it.
You still using the ones you liberated?

Ali Tait
17-05-2012, 12:17
No, though that was obviously better than the wall wart. I'm using one of Nick's two box jobbies, which was another obvious improvement again.