PDA

View Full Version : Is there an automatic logout time?

nat8808
04-05-2012, 15:54
Not exlusive to this forum but I find that if the 'keep me logged in' box isn't ticked then I can find myself logged out when trying to post a reply.. can be pretty scary if I've spent a time typing a long post!

Is there an automatic logout time of 20 mins or so or a certain amount of innactivity or is there something else going on?

As I say, it happens on other forums too if I don't have 'keep me logged in' ticked.

Beechwoods
04-05-2012, 16:12
The server has a default timeout of 15 minutes unless you tick that box... Why don't you want to 'stay logged in'? You can always use Private Browsing if you're worried about someone else in your household accessing your logon. You'll still have to tick the box on logon each time, but the session will be cleared when you close Private Browsing down.

nat8808
04-05-2012, 16:29
Just that by the time you've quickly typed in your name and the browser fills in the password (I'm happy with not much security for forums) and hit return as an automatic reflex, it's too late to tick the box.... I then get stuck into the forum and somewhere I type a long throughtful post only to find I'm logged out.

Ticking the box keeps you logged in for as long as the cookie is still there, so you are logged in between sessions. I had assumed that not ticking the box would simply mean it would not keep you logged in between sessions rather than the extra of also turning off an automatic logout. No need to tick the box therefore if you intend to keep the window open by that previous logic.

In reality I would like to keep logged in for as long as I have the window open but for it not to keep me logged in eternally - I don't suppose there is a middle ground?

I don't think I loose the post on this forum as it keeps the text box there it seems but on others....

Now I know, I'll have it more in mind.

Thanks for the reply.

MartinT
04-05-2012, 16:37
I've made it a habit over the years to Ctrl-A Ctrl-C (select all / copy) before I make any big post, just in case :)

Mark Grant
04-05-2012, 16:46
I use notepad for anything lengthy and then copy and paste into a forum.

Nothing worse than a long post with picture links embedded etc that disappears if connection times out or forum times out etc.

On the newer vbulletin version there is an autosave option that saves the text, not sure if it is available for this version.

Beechwoods
04-05-2012, 19:36
I use a browser plugin called Lazarus for Safari which saves any data entered into forms, including the ones you type a post into.

Anyway, the cookie doesn't really keep you logged in. You aren't connected to the server all the time. It just means the server knows you've logged in and ticked the box, so it treats you as logged in the next time you visit. Personally, I don't know what the issue is with staying 'logged in' providing your machine is secure, or at least in trusted company.

Tim
04-05-2012, 21:24
If you use Firefox you can just use the back button if you have been logged out. Go back to your text and then you can copy it before logging in again :)

MartinT
04-05-2012, 22:50
If you use Firefox you can just use the back button

You can with IE9 too, but I just find copying to clipboard before posting comes naturally now.

nat8808
08-05-2012, 20:27
If you use Firefox you can just use the back button if you have been logged out. Go back to your text and then you can copy it before logging in again :)

Actually, on this forum I think the text is still there on the same page that tells you 'you do not have permision to perform that action' because you're logged out.

On others though, sometimes when you use the back button the text box is then blank and ctrl-z doesn't help either.