PDA

View Full Version : Tellurium

MikeMusic
02-05-2012, 09:34
My experience of Tellurium interconnects.

I first heard the Phono-Phono with Din adaptor at David's place on a mix of my kit and his. His CDX2, my Kimber KS-1011, Naim 82 and HiCap, his Naim (not sure, 5X ?) Tellurium blue speaker leads and Harbeth speakers on those odd looking but very good speaker stands.
The improvement was significant. Not jaw dropping but certainly mouth slightly open. My Kimber is well used. The Tellurium was out of the box so assumed it would get better.

I prevaricated - DIN or Phono. Hey try both if possible. David kindly sourced a DIN-DIN and a Phono-Phono Tellurium black cable for me to check out.

Comparing my Kimber in my system to the Tellurium.
Certainly better, perhaps not as much difference as before at Radlett Audio but a nice step up for sure. More detail, tighter bass, more air and space between instruments.
The backing vocals on Mavis Staples Eyes on the prize, a favourite, became separate people. Oooh ! More air and space to separate instruments and vocals

Tellurium wins.

Ok. DIN or Phono to save some money .....
A few tests were easy as the CDX2 has a DIN and a Phono output. Both connected to the Naim 82 either DIN or via DIN adaptor
Not a huge difference but significant and just about worth the difference I think. Only on the basis of a few tracks.

Now the big surprise. I'm a cheapskate and I like to buy 2nd hand or save money somewhere so why on earth did I compare the Kimber PBJ from the Tivo (!) to the Naim 82 with the Phono Tellurium ?
Jaw dropped. Had to try it a few more times to be sure I wasn't hallucinating.
Aerial, cable, Kimber v21 from wall socket, Netgem Freeview box, crappy SCART, Tivo, PBJ or Tellurium.
How can there be so much difference ?
How come a cable just 'there' can make that difference with such mediocre stuff around it ?
So I'm keeping both of them
Duh. Wallet savaged

MartinT
02-05-2012, 09:49
Great news, Mike. The TQ interconnects are very good, but I warn you now that the speaker cables are galactic. It's a good thing your 'hydra' cables can't be easily replaced. Did Dave have any ideas for you on that score?

MikeMusic
02-05-2012, 10:01
They are quite good
:)
Comes in handy having you doing all the research
I wondered about the interconnects first between the Naim 82, HiCaps and 500.
Recently changed the Naim leads between HiCaps and 500 to a Kimber KCAGs. That was significant. Nice price on Ebay. Why did I buy them, a long time ago ? They guy had upgraded to Tellurium.
For the speaker leads I wonder about a single lead and jumpers to the crosover (in) and a second set of short leads for the crossover to speakers
Need to take those photos of the set up. Either a clever way of doing it or when there is someone that can help me heft the kit around
Would better speaker leads point out problems in the other Naim interconnects ?

MartinT
02-05-2012, 10:27

I've gone with a single run of TQ Ultra Black and UB jumpers, but I think we really need to see photos in order to advise you. Dave must have experience of cabling your speakers?

As for pointing out deficiencies, there is no doubt that good cables throughout the system can bring synergy, but I didn't hear deficiencies as I was upgrading, just improvement after improvement as I kept upgrading more of them. The overall sound became more of that TQ wide-openness, edge definition and lack of harshness.

One step at a time and enjoy each upgrade :)

MCRU
02-05-2012, 11:12
Nice to hear about another satisfied TQ customer, happy listening.

hifi_dave
02-05-2012, 11:48
They are quite good
Comes in handy having you doing all the research
I wondered about the interconnects first between the Naim 82, HiCaps and 500.
Recently changed the Naim leads between HiCaps and 500 to a Kimber KCAGs. That was significant. Nice price on Ebay. Why did I buy them, a long time ago ? They guy had upgraded to Tellurium.
For the speaker leads I wonder about a single lead and jumpers to the crosover (in) and a second set of short leads for the crossover to speakers
Need to take those photos of the set up. Either a clever way of doing it or when there is someone that can help me heft the kit around

Thank you for the publicity..:)

Not quite sure how your Isobariks are wired but if you now have one cable per channel into a crossover box and then three out to the Isobariks, this should be doable, though it does depend on the termination at the box. If it goes into terminals, that is perfect but if it dives inside the box and then soldered to a PCB or similar, that might be a problem. Not insurmountable but not straightforward.

Alex_UK
02-05-2012, 12:02
Glad to see hifi_dave has sorted you out Mike - I'm very much looking forward to trying out the Tellurium range when I go over to Radlett Audio next week. :)

MikeMusic
02-05-2012, 12:17
I've gone with a single run of TQ Ultra Black and UB jumpers, but I think we really need to see photos in order to advise you. Dave must have experience of cabling your speakers?

As for pointing out deficiencies, there is no doubt that good cables throughout the system can bring synergy, but I didn't hear deficiencies as I was upgrading, just improvement after improvement as I kept upgrading more of them. The overall sound became more of that TQ wide-openness, edge definition and lack of harshness.

One step at a time and enjoy each upgrade :)

Good. So probably speaker cables next then - which was where I started - at least in my head

This arrangement was the last or next to last build I think whereby you could run 3 joined up pairs into the crossovers in the Iso base or run 3 active stereo pairs directly into the back of the speakers themselves

>crossover: New 4 ohm external fitted in stand. Facilities for tri-wiring. DMS
> no longer made as PMS can be used with either passive (4 ohm) or aktiv
> crossover. 1988 Serial no's 6701/2

David hasn't seen this particular arrangement so the camera and some serious hifi hefting is in order

MikeMusic
02-05-2012, 12:19
Thank you for the publicity..:)

Not quite sure how your Isobariks are wired but if you now have one cable per channel into a crossover box and then three out to the Isobariks, this should be doable, though it does depend on the termination at the box. If it goes into terminals, that is perfect but if it dives inside the box and then soldered to a PCB or similar, that might be a problem. Not insurmountable but not straightforward.

Emailed separately and if that doesn't work, quite likely given my grasp of English :)
Photos will be with you soon ish

MikeMusic
02-05-2012, 12:19
Glad to see hifi_dave has sorted you out Mike - I'm very much looking forward to trying out the Tellurium range when I go over to Radlett Audio next week. :)

Don't go !
You will end up spending money !

DSJR
02-05-2012, 14:21
And Mr Mike Music is going to have to go active....................

hifi_dave
02-05-2012, 14:37
I believe he is active but I'm not sure of the layout for changing his cables for TQ. I'm awaiting a pic and a diagram or two for it to make sense..:scratch:

MikeMusic
02-05-2012, 14:38
And Mr Mike Music is going to have to go active....................

:eek:
Gibber

I was going in that direction but all that kit and cable......

MikeMusic
02-05-2012, 14:41
I believe he is active but I'm not sure of the layout for changing his cables for TQ. I'm awaiting a pic and a diagram or two for it to make sense..:scratch:

Nope
Passive. A 500 driving Isobariks which can be Active or Passive
Da Vinci style sketch on its way to Mr. Radlett Audio :)

MartinT
02-05-2012, 14:50
Oh, do post it for us all to see!

MikeMusic
02-05-2012, 14:56
Oh, do post it for us all to see!

Er, its to my usual standard
You may see too deep into my psyche

MartinT
02-05-2012, 15:16
You may see too deep into my psyche

And....? :)

MikeMusic
06-05-2012, 10:02
A bit more

Listening to Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire today

You have to, regulalry or life isn't complete

I have listened to this album since 1973 on many different systems. The bottom end would be a portable cassette radio

Recent upgrades gave bad news - this was a bad job in the studio. The more clarity I gained from upgrades the more muddled it seemed. Like enlarging a picture, it never got clearer just fuzzy

The difference today was almost all the Tellurium lead
Much more clarity, instruments becoming distinct, more thumping drumming from Billy Cobham's best period

Thanks to David at Radlett for the loan - which I couldn't send back

Now. I think I know what else can defog this

DSJR
06-05-2012, 17:07
Go active!!! That will remove the fog where it really is at a stroke.. Doesn't have to be with piles of over-priced Naim, but later Linn Klouts come up for well under a grand now and, although I don't think they made internal aktiv boards for them (they may, I can't remember?), I bet there's a Tunebox or two out there looking for a home.. I say the Linn boxes 'cos they're quite neat and will allow you to get loads more Telurium if you so desire ;)

Oh don't mind me, I remember "Barbariks" only too well, inside and out :lol:

Reid Malenfant
06-05-2012, 17:13
Go active!!! That will remove the fog where it really is at a stroke..
& if you can't find the correct crossovers, buy a Behringer DCX2496 ;)

You'll be able to time align the front drivers, use better Linkwitz/Riley crossovers, get rid of the midrange peak from the B110 using the notch filter function...

The list goes on, & on...

MikeMusic
06-05-2012, 20:57
Nope
Passive. A 500 driving Isobariks which can be Active or Passive
Da Vinci style sketch on its way to Mr. Radlett Audio :)

The photos did the trick

David did some research for me. I'm *very* glad to say, grateful toom thanks David
The photos show 3 stereo cables coming in

Looking closely, after being told, I now see the jumpers were in place but some Muppett had cut through them so 3 separate inputs were required
That's either the dealer that originally sold them or the guy I bought them from

-always thought it was a ridiculous set up

So good news for me
Some fiddling around to put the jumpers back and a begging email to Radlett Audio for a loan pair of speaker cables
Then most of the rats nest can go as well

MartinT
06-05-2012, 21:08
Excellent, Mike. I thought you would be able to get rid of that hydra setup. TQ standard pairs to the rescue!

MikeMusic
07-05-2012, 07:23
I am very happy about that
A cable set up designed by a lunatic can now go

MikeMusic
09-05-2012, 14:39
Go active!!! That will remove the fog where it really is at a stroke.. Doesn't have to be with piles of over-priced Naim, but later Linn Klouts come up for well under a grand now and, although I don't think they made internal aktiv boards for them (they may, I can't remember?), I bet there's a Tunebox or two out there looking for a home.. I say the Linn boxes 'cos they're quite neat and will allow you to get loads more Telurium if you so desire ;)

Oh don't mind me, I remember "Barbariks" only too well, inside and out :lol:
That was my path before I put in a stupid low bid on Ebay for the 500 - and won it !
I lusted after a 6 pack ever since a Naim demo in Salisbury, probably late 80s or early 90s