PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 01.05.2012 Robert Rich & B. Lustmord - Stalker (1995)

Reid Malenfant
01-05-2012, 18:17
I had real problems deciding what to get you all to listen to & some of the music was probably just a little bit too far out, even I had problems with one album :eyebrows: There's always another time :D

So we come back to one of my favourite albums of all time, I'm sure you have seen me spin it a few times in a certain thread on here. Now you can have the pleasure, or not as the case may be...

Robert Rich & B. Lustmord - Stalker

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/speakermark/blu%20ray%20covers/Stalker.jpg

This album is a collaboration between two well known ambient artists, Robert Rich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Rich_%28musician%29) & Brian Williams AKA Lustmord (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lustmord). The inspiration for the album was a russian film of the same name by Andrei Tarkovskiy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/) released in 1979.

I can't say I'm surprised that these two artists got together to make this album as both of their music often leans in this direction, more so for Lustmord, though Rich has also done quite a bit of work that could also be described as dark ambient, the albums Humidity (http://www.discogs.com/Robert-Rich-Humidity-Three-Concerts/release/311596) & Trances / Drones (http://www.discogs.com/Robert-Rich-Trances-Drones/master/29041) spring to mind :)

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalker_%28album%29)

Stalker on Spotify (spotify:album:5ahSHZWxt6rDEqBc3oF3Eh)

Discogs (http://www.discogs.com/Robert-Rich-B-Lustmord-Stalker/release/48)

8XwJ40iuogMg9ufhMWgfE4
2SeG0AlxRkI

I'm not sure if any of you at all are going to like this or even get through the whole album? But then I really don't want to stick up something that sounds like some kind of pop as I'm simply not into it in much of any way at all. Maybe when I was younger :lol:

So I won't be in the least offended if it ends up with a load of low votes, after all, I'd give it 10/10 & that's all the matters to me. You might find it a little disturbing, well it's kind of meant to be that way, so don't let it worry you if that's how you feel listening to it.

This is all about getting people to listen to something they normally wouldn't, or simply haven't heard before after all.

A warning for anyone using small stand mount reflex speakers, watch out for your woofer cones as there is a lot of deep bass on this album, a good deal of which you probably won't hear ;)

John
01-05-2012, 19:02
Well so far I actully quite like it, it has a bit of dark atmospheric feel to it, like it belongs in a film like Antichrist. Some pretty deep bass.
This is generally not what I would listen too, and I thought I might be hitting fast forward but no I am actually enjoying this
So far a 7 but will have to hear it a few times before I vote

Reid Malenfant
01-05-2012, 19:12
Nice one John, I'm pleased the link worked as I wasn't 100% sure about it :lol:

I'm also listening to it by the way, though obviously not on Spotify :cool:

E2A:- I like the album so much that it never occured to me to see the film that inspired the music :doh: I'll remedy that as soon as possible :eyebrows:

sparrow
01-05-2012, 20:03
I bought this and must say when in the right mood it is wonderful..when not it becomes a tad tedious. I have a few ambient albums and this one is the best of the bunch. Great for late at night just before retiring. I will have another listen either tonight or tomorrow night and then vote.

Beechwoods
01-05-2012, 20:42
Sound like an interesting choice to me :)

Tim
01-05-2012, 23:31
Now what have we here then :eyebrows:

Audioman
01-05-2012, 23:52
Ambient ? ZZZZZZZ ! And that's without hearing it. :)

Martinh
02-05-2012, 10:32
Well I gave it a go.

I played the youtube clips though my system and indeed the bass is deeeep. My small REL had a good workout - the room was completely pressurised (REL terminology) and made my eardrums itch (?).

Needs zero background noise to really appreciate it - maybe better through headphones?

As you say, it's not for everyone and not really my cup of tea. Just a bit too laid back - 5/10 for me.

Thanks for the posting Mark.

Martin

sparrow
02-05-2012, 11:39
8/10 from me...

Audioman
02-05-2012, 14:57
:drugs: to listen to this. Not for me I'm afraid. 2/10.

MartinT
02-05-2012, 18:04
I'm streaming it now to the 'big rig'. I'll post my thoughts later.

Reid Malenfant
02-05-2012, 18:08
Get those Eton drivers moving Martin :D

Just voted myself & had to give it a 9/10 as I already have the CD :lol: I see someone gave it a 10 :cool:

Audioman
02-05-2012, 18:59
Those people who gave it 8,9 and 10 must be on some good stuff. Or perhaps went down the pub first.:pub:

Reid Malenfant
02-05-2012, 19:03
Those people who gave it 8,9 and 10 must be on some good stuff. Or perhaps went down the pub first.:pub:
:lol:

I'm always on good stuff :eyebrows: I did mention I gave it a 9 simply because I couldn't give it 10 as I already have the CD ;)

Bazil
02-05-2012, 20:19
When do the guitars and singing kick in :whistle:

Martinh
03-05-2012, 06:12
When do the guitars and singing kick in :whistle:

I thought that too.

I suppose that if you are chilling out, you don't want anything exciting to happen, do you?

Martin

Welder
03-05-2012, 15:06
Well, it’s interesting. ;)
I’m not a great ambient sounds fan. I check out what I can of Mark’s music posts usually, mainly because even if the sounds don’t quite get my feet tapping, the recording quality seems in general to be above the usual beat based stuff I prefer.
But, then again I’ve got proper speakers and much of this stuff just doesn’t get sorted with “I got bass at 100Hz”, or “ leeme just adjust my wardrobes”.:rolleyes: :D

Would I buy it?

Hmm, maybe at the right price.

Can I listen to it without needing drugs to cope with another track, or receding into a Prog Rock fog of bad taste and fond memories?

Sure, but like anything else, I’ve got to be in the right mood and I’m not one for mood altering with chemicals these days; nope, not even the liquid variety.

Overall, more interesting than much of the stuff that gets “I lurv it” here but being a dancing fool with a preference for da funk and a bit of ya get down I cant give no rave votes here.

6/10

Alex_UK
03-05-2012, 16:04
Nice to see you're still alive John (Welder) - I was just about to wake the St Bernard up. ;)

Meanwhile... I keep trying to play this, and I do like ambient, but even I am waiting for something exciting to happen... (Perhaps no blonde girly wailing is the problem! :eyebrows:) I'll give it another try tomorrow after a couple of sherbets. :)

RichB
03-05-2012, 16:08
A 3 from me... and I'm normally partially to a bit of ambient stuff but this wasnt really enough to keep me interested.

Well produced what i heard though so maybe its where my head is at right now... :drugs::

MartinT
03-05-2012, 18:20
A fascinating exercise, Mark. I listened and, like some others here, kept thinking that a detectable tune or melody would emerge. This is pure mood creation of a sort that I don't have anywhere in my collection. Even Tangerine Dream create a tune that can be vaguely followed, but not this. My brain kept trying and failed.

On the sound quality front, it's excellently 'assembled' (I have no understanding of how this was created and/or on what instruments played apart from synthesiser) and the bass is truly extended and thunderous in parts. My quad 11" Etons were certainly well worked out by the end of it.

On the basis that I would not choose to buy music like this to listen to I'll give it 3/10, but I thank you for giving me some insight into a quite alien (to me) branch of music.

Jac Hawk
06-05-2012, 15:16
Sounds great on a 5.1 setup, as the rear speakers add another dimension to the overall atmosphere of the music, the bass had my windows shaking too, (note to self, need better sub). Like many have said you need to be in the right mood or taking the right substance to get you into the right mood to get it, for me i'm listening on a sunny sunday afternoon, so probably not the best time.

To sum up, it's very well produced and in parts interesting especially using a 5.1 setup which enhances the atmospheric side to the music, but unless you're stoned or pissed it's a little unappealing, for me no more than a 5/10

Bazil
08-05-2012, 16:26
I suppose I'd better vote, I've been holding back till I had something interesting to say but unfortunately I don't. 2/10. No toons man :rolleyes:

The Grand Wazoo
08-05-2012, 16:36
Much as others, I suppose, this didn't grab me at all. It certainly feels like a film soundtrack & I'm rarely able to sit and listen to one of those. I could see (at a pinch) myself having it playing while doing something else. But then, to do that, I'd have to own it and I'm not moved enough by it to spend cash on it!
An interesting exercise, but I'd rather move on from here, thanks.
3/10

Tim
08-05-2012, 18:51
I'm going to spin this tomorrow Mark ;)

Reid Malenfant
08-05-2012, 18:54
Take your time, no rush after all :D

I still need to get round to Mikes recent offering, another Spotify sesh needed....

That just made me think - who's up this evening? :scratch: :lol:

Tim
08-05-2012, 19:01
Take your time, no rush after all :D
Thanks Mark, just wanted you to know I hadn't forgotten - TBH right now I am spinning my next album club choice :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
08-05-2012, 19:04
Looks like Mike is up again this evening... I'll be in for a double dose when I get round to it shortly :eyebrows:

Tim
09-05-2012, 19:21
Well this was indeed very interesting Mark. I must admit before listening to it I thought I wasn't going to enjoy it after reading some of the comments, but I was determined to play by the Album Club rules and listen without pre-judging.

I reckon to get the most from it I would need to be in a darkened room and in the right mood, but to be honest I really enjoyed it sat listening with headphones in the office, whilst working on a horrible computer job. It put me in mind of the music from a computer game called Homeworld, the scene in the Karos Graveyard I think - very moody and atmospheric. I actually found it very calming and may well have to play it again when I have another tricky computer problem! I think I may also buy it too, so it gets a thumbs up from me Mark and I was going to give it 7/10, but I reckon for dark room and whiskey listening it deserves more, so its 8/10 from me ;)

Reid Malenfant
12-05-2012, 17:47
Glad you liked it Tim :)

Now I mentioned I'd sort out some Youtube links for someone, but I can't remember who it was for :eyebrows:

Anyway, here all I can find in the order of the tracks on the album left to right etc...

8XwJ40iuogMg9ufhMWgfE4
2SeG0AlxRkIO27D9QHD5XE
rrVLoHPDwQ8McCK0VOZtgE

Couldn't find the last track :(

keiths
12-05-2012, 19:33
Glad you liked it Tim :)

Now I mentioned I'd sort out some Youtube links for someone, but I can't remember who it was for :eyebrows:

:wave:

Reid Malenfant
12-05-2012, 19:34
Ah, now I remember :lol:

Cheers Keith :)

realysm42
12-05-2012, 23:31
The film Stalker was the inspiration for my favourite ever videogame of the same name.

I watched the film a couple of years ago; it was very strange, but enjoyable in a surreal way, checking the tunes out now mate.