PDA

View Full Version : Question on Croft loudness

mikecole
28-04-2012, 22:01
When people say that the Croft gets too loud too quick, what exactly is meant? I mean how far is the volume control turned up and what is the sensitivity of the speakers it is hooked up to? I have a Leben CS300XS that feeds 89db Reynaud Bliss loudspeakers and it gets fairly loud around 9:00 on the volume knob. Is that kind of what happens with latest Croft stuff?

hifi_dave
29-04-2012, 08:16
Yes but the volume knobs go from 12 o/c. So, with fairly efficient speakers, you would probably get to 4 o/c for loud listening.

mikecole
29-04-2012, 11:55
Dave, thanks for the clarification. On a side note, would you be able to contrast the musical presentaion of the Croft 25/7 with that of any EL-84 based tube amps you have heard. I have been toying with the idea of replacing my Leben with Croft. I live in Florida and my room faces south, so it gets pretty hot. I thought replacng EL-84s with electronics containing a few small signal tubes may be beneficial. Also, the importer of the Bliss loudspeakers has had more success with a hybrid feeding the Bliss than with strictly tube amps.

hifi_dave
29-04-2012, 14:56
The Croft Series Seven power-amps have the full bodied mid we like with tubes but greater control and kick to the bass and more drive to get your speakers moving. They also run relatively cool.

mikecole
01-05-2012, 02:02
Thanks, I guess I have things to think about.

DSJR
01-05-2012, 08:31
The Croft Series Seven power-amps have the full bodied mid we like with tubes but greater control and kick to the bass and more drive to get your speakers moving. They also run relatively cool.

Wot a load of bollix!!!!!!! :lol:

The Series 7 doesn't really have a sound at all, but it does retain that indefinable "something" that holds one's interest when listening, and it EASILY reproduces the differences in preamp subtlety as you go up the Micro 25 range...

hifi_dave
01-05-2012, 20:52
Nit picking pedant..:finger:

Thanks, I've been wanting to use that.

DSJR
02-05-2012, 08:01
Charming! :D