PDA

View Full Version : Gain ratio

Audioflair
28-04-2012, 08:38
I reckon the gain ratio between components seems to be key to an engaging, enjoyable sound coming out of the speakers.
In Hi-Fi shows, the majority of the systems are very detailed but the perspective is often rather flat and anaemic (not to mention a touch bright.)
The problem is that to most engineers gain is just a position on the volume control - and yet upping the gain, within reason makes images bigger and the sound out of the speakers comes to life in all four planes. Of course, this can be taken too far where things get overblown and a trumpet takes on the size of a piano...
Audionote seem to understand this ratio best and to my ears their sound in shows is immediately engaging because the gain ratio between components means the room is driven `properly`. Granted that their tone can be over-rich for some.
Thinking back to the most enjoyable systems I have owned over the years, this ratio may well be a key factor. I was reminded of this recently when I repaired a Helios 1 CD player with a 3.5V output and, putting it into the system, the sound became fuller and more engaging with the vocalist being more `in the room`.
As long as overload doesn`t occur, I like over 2v from the CD player and plenty of gain from the pre. seems to give the power amp an impression of more torque, an easier drive.
In terms of hard facts :eyebrows: it is hard to explain...

camtwister
28-04-2012, 11:25
The gain structure within a sound system, be it for domestic playback or professional public address, is a fundamental part of the configuration.
The two principle concerns are distortion and noise.
A system that can be said to be appropriately matched (in terms of gain structure) has a signal-to-noise ratio large enough to keep the noise floor as low as possible and sufficient head-room to prevent clipping and hence distortion.
The principle factors that determine signal-to-noise ratio and head-room are, obviously, the amplifier design employed by each device (where applicable) and also the respective loading characteristics of each component.
The transducers in the system must also be correctly matched to the adjacent apparatus. In this context and for the majority, that implies sympathetic consideration of speaker load, efficiency and sensitivity.
Similarly, for those systems with an analogue source such as a record player, the mechanical and electrical impedances should be considered as well as the amplification factor of the pre-amp.

Audioflair
28-04-2012, 12:57
That`s a lovely, clear definition thanks.
I guess there`s a range of what is ideal when it comes to gain factor chosen by manufacturers. What I have felt is that the upper limit of that range gives a fuller, more dimensional sound. The average factor used by manufacturers seems a little flat and cautious in my experience but I can see that the trade-off is that noise levels etc. go down.

overtsi
28-04-2012, 13:35
I know what you mean about matching gain.At the moment I'm between pre-amps, so in the interim I'm using a CD player - which has both a digital volume control and variable gain - directly into an amp.

There's vocal presence, drive and immediacy, but because the CD's standard gain is too high it becomes wearing after prolonged listening, more of a poke in the eye than a caress, pianos sound all hammers and steel strings with no moderation from the wooden carcass. A bit like the early days of digital sound really.

Bluedroog
29-04-2012, 13:46
Hi Adrian, I have to agree with you on this. You may recall I was having an issue with gain levels between the Croft 25 I bought from you and my Quad 909. I managed to borrow a pair of attenuators and they have really helped. Because most of my listening is at quite low levels not only has the noise been cleared up but I think the sound benefits from being able to open the volume pots up a bit. It’s also made the dual volume a doddle to balance.

I’m not sure if it’s just because the noise has been so drastically reduced or if my ears are playing tricks with me but everything seems to sound a lot better. I’ve said the attenuators are one of the best ‘upgrades’ I’ve ever made, of course in fact it’s the Croft I am now hearing properly. The attenuators have just acted as a good mediator to the Croft and Quad and they are really, really signing now.

I will at some point bring it up to you to take you up on the mod for the gain, I’d imagine this will have the same desired effect but is probably preferential to adding attenuators to the chain.

I have to say now the distraction of hiss has gone and with burn in the Croft is getting better and better and it’s really enhanced my listening pleasure, I’m just itching to get home from work so I can play a few albums. I can see me coming back to you for the R spec at some point, I’m sure you’ve heard that before!

Audioflair
30-04-2012, 20:33
Hi Christian, yes, gain adjustment internally is a better solution than using an in-line attenuator. When you`re ready I`ll do it for you while you wait as part of the service.