PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 24.04.2012 - Eagle Eye Cherry - Desireless (1998)

Jac Hawk
24-04-2012, 23:32
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51msC6lAjSL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Hi guys,
I've made this selection after a chat I had with John while at Scalford, I asked him if the track he was playing was by Eagle Eye Cherry, to which he gave me a bit of a vacant look as if to say "who the hell is he" anyway I was a bit shocked that he had never heard of him so I thought then next chance I get at the album club I'll bring some of his work to the table.

So he's half brother to Neneh Cherry, started of doing a bit of acting but his 1st love was music, and after moving back to Sweden from the USA, embarked on his 1st album "Desireless" a mix of pop / acoustic rock would describe the music i think, with his lyrics having a hint of melancholy about them. For me a very satisfying listen and a solid 8/10

spotify:album:2zJcrLrN7EAcDYXm4j99k1

Wiki Links:
Album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desireless_(album))
Artist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle-Eye_Cherry)

John
25-04-2012, 05:08
Yes I remember our talk we were listening to Ben Harper at the time and yes Eagle Eyed Cherry sounds very similar to Ben Harper which in my books is a good thing
I will vote latter on it as I need to give it a few listens

AlfaGTV
25-04-2012, 05:48
Without having heard the album besides the song Save Tonight i really cannot pass judgement on the album. Save Tonight i do belive is both a catchy tune and has got more qualities also!
Worth noting is Eagle-Eye's father, Don Cherry a respectable jazz trumpeter, having played with a lot of the big names such as John Coltrane, CHarlie Haden and believe it or not, Lou Reed!

BR /Mike

keiths
25-04-2012, 08:45
I've owned this since it came out, but haven't played it for ages. I'll comment once I've given it a few spins.

Cheers,
Keith.

RichB
25-04-2012, 09:27
I'll pop by the second hand cd shop and see if i can find this then let u know, I sort of ignored the 'Save Tonight' hit single at the time it came out although the lyric and riff is one of those which gets stuck in your head all the same.

RichB
25-04-2012, 15:04
just picked this up for £1.27 including postage from that well known auction site.:lol:

Jac Hawk
25-04-2012, 15:10
just picked this up for £1.27 including postage from that well known auction site.:lol:

bargain mate;)

John
25-04-2012, 15:43
Other intial thoughts
At times a bit to commercial for me a few gems and he has a good voice. At present I am leaning towards a 6 but might change if I can enjoy the pop parts more

Tim
25-04-2012, 17:33
Me too, first listen and I quite enjoyed it, certainly enough to pay 1.27 for it too be given a proper listen on me 'stereo' at home. I will wait till it arrives before scoring it, but it's hovering around the 6/7 mark at the moment. Good pick though and only the second album I have bought from Album Club. Mind you I do have a good deal of the picks here already ;)

The Grand Wazoo
01-05-2012, 07:35
Mike must be thinking we've all deserted him!
Sorry I meant to get round to doing this before now. We have a copy of 'Living in the Present Future', which I'd completely forgotten about.
I like this - not enough to rush out & buy a copy, but when I happen across it, I'll probably indulge.
&/10

Alex_UK
01-05-2012, 08:39
Sorry Mike...

I've got this - but not consciously (charity shop I suspect) - spinning it now - the first time in weeks I've even fired up the hifi! :eek:

keiths
01-05-2012, 16:00
Just a 5/10 from me. I quite liked the singles at the time and bought the album on the strength of those, but it doesn't really do too much for me on a re-listen, I'm afraid.

Tim
01-05-2012, 16:57
Well this arrived from Amazon today and its spinning right now... I'm not sure if its the sunshine or what and I'm sure has hell not in the best of spirits at the moment, but this album has lifted them. I love it, very well recorded and sounding so much better in the flesh, than on Spotify. It's a bit Lighthouse Family in places, but I must confess to owning 2 of their albums anyway :eyebrows:

I'm going to revise my provisional score and give it an 8/10 now - I really like it and thanks for introducing it to us - worth every single one of the 127 pennies it cost me!

John
01-05-2012, 17:08
Its proberly a bit to poppy for me I gave it a 6

RichB
01-05-2012, 19:10
So my cheap bay version finally arrived today and I listened whilst making the dinner. I gave it a 7, not a bad listen at all even if its not my usual cuppa... I particularly like the more percussion based tracks such as rainbow wings. All in all theres plenty to like and nothing to offend really. I'd agree its well recorded and has a rich and full sound. I'll stop short of saying dinner party music but the reason I havent rated it higher is it will probably mostly get played as background music when we've got company... make of that what you will.

Bazil
02-05-2012, 19:55
If it wasn't for the club I would never know of this guys existence, although I had heard the single Save Tonight numerous times. Not my cup of tea but an easy listen and I thought Shoot Up In Vain a very good track. People who are into this genre I reckon will think very highly of this album, I'll give it 7/10.

Welder
27-07-2012, 18:49
Finally got myself a copy of this..
It’s okay but he ain’t Ben Harper and he’s not quite distinctive enough to not to find what he does okay, done better by someone else.
5/10.

MartinT
09-11-2012, 15:19
This is pretty good and some of the songs have a very enjoyable rhythm to them. Definitely closely related to Ben Harper. 7/10.

pjdowns
09-09-2013, 22:24
Yeah I have and like this album... Not quite a 10/10 though so I have awarded this an 8!

Canetoad
19-09-2013, 10:04
7/10 for me. Production is pretty good on the CD version.

high.spirits
04-10-2013, 11:09
Not listened to this before. Appears well produced and liked a couple of the tracks. Will not rush out and buy though - 7 out of 10.