PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a pre-amp for 'pass through'...?

WAD62
24-04-2012, 10:31
Hi There,

How easily can an input channel, on a pre-amp, be modified to be 'pass through', and by that I mean to bypass the amp section entirely, and go directly to the output RCAs.

The reason I ask is that I'm contemplating the new Audiolab M-Dac, and it has a 'digital' pre-amp on board, which by all accounts provides the best sound quality. However I also have analogue sources from my TT and my AV 'pass through', which will still require pre-amplification, and I don't want the hassle of unplugging cables every time I switch sources.

My current pre amp is an Audiolab 8000Q, my hope is that I could modify the CD (DAC) input to be passthrough, whist leaving the others as they are...if that makes sense.

Cheers for any advice...:)

Bluedroog
24-04-2012, 14:24
There is a planned PSU upgrade for the M-DAC which has analogue inputs, I'm not sure if it will have a bypass feature or not but was imagine so. I belive it's called the M-Pax or something, not sure when it's due out.

Reid Malenfant
24-04-2012, 16:28
Pretty easily I reckon, as far as I can tell all that would be needed is a double pole changeover relay (DPDT) & a switch & possibly a dropper resistor to match the relay coil to the power supply :)

WAD62
25-04-2012, 10:08
Cheers Chaps, I've been in touch with my electronics wizard, and he concurs, eminently doable :)

All I have to do now is wait for my trial M-Dac to arrive, and we'll see if there is an advantage to using it as a pre-amp for my digital sources... :eyebrows: