PDA

View Full Version : Advice on amp to go with Michelle Orbe TT

raven219
18-04-2012, 15:29
Just discovered this forum, so I am hoping I have posted this in the right group.

A friend is upgrading his vinyl system. He now has a Michell Orbe turntable and his next step is change is amp (currently a Marantz PM5004 driving MA BX6 speakers which are staying for the time being). He has a budget of £2000 max. He listens to blues, Rolling Stones up to The Ramones.

I have had a look around to start to build a short list. So far I have

XTZ A100 D3
Harmon Kardon HK990
Rotel RC1580/RB1582

Any advice on ehat else I should be considering?

Many thanks.

hifi_dave
18-04-2012, 15:57
I believe you need to introduce yourself in the appropriate section before posting.

raven219
18-04-2012, 16:16
I have removed myself to the back of the class for not having done my homework!

(Now done the polite thing - thanks hifi_dave)

Cheers

hifi_dave
18-04-2012, 16:23
Right, that saved you a wrap over the knuckles.

I would recommend a Croft amp - integrated or pre/power, Naim and or Icon Audio if you fancy some valves.

All on demo at your local dealer..:rolleyes:

Sonority
18-04-2012, 22:16
Your friend seriously needs to get himself to a *good* dealer (don't take this the wrong way - but not one of the box shifting outlets such as Comet used to be).
If he is using an Orbe with a MM cart into a Marantz Integrated, he has one very nice surprise awaiting him.
I doubt all that money will go on an amp alone...

Happy hunting.

PS - The above post may just be a very good place to start? :thumbsup:

griffo104
19-04-2012, 08:01
I'd look for something like a nice Sugden (2nd hand) and a quality phonostage, something like a 2nd hand Whest.

I'm a fellow Orbe TT owner and I used it a tri-amped Linn active system and I love my deck dearly but the amps is really down to personal tastes. I like a lot of power and slam so tend to prefer the bigger solid state sounds, other may prefer the valve type of sound.

But what ever amp you get you really need a good phonostage, either built in or seperate.

raven219
19-04-2012, 10:28
Sonority - Good dealers are hard to come by in East Anglia althougth the previous post is within driving distance :)

Griffo104 - My preference would be to send them down the seperate phonostage route but the question of athestics might be raised :rolleyes:.

Cheers

PaulStewart
19-04-2012, 12:18
Hi Niall,
Until recently I used an Orbe SE with SME IV and Koetsu R,wood Signature. You don't mention the arm and cartridge used. These will obviously have a bearing on the components down the line, also, what kind of room will the system be used in? The Orbe is a great TT and John Michell was a great engineer and a nice bloke as well, I was a Michell dealer back in the day an used his products for years. Your mate has made a great purchase. I always drained and relubed the bearing every year and he should keep an eye on the bearing oil level as with the pumped, inverted bearing, although unlikely it can run dry.

raven219
19-04-2012, 21:18
Thanks for the advice.

I didn't have that much time to look over the deck properly so I don't know about the arm or cartridge. Will need to find the time to pop back and check.

The room is a fairly large lounge so has a sofa and TV in there. In my opinion it is in the wrong place in the room as you cannot sit in the sweet spot. I am hoping to change that :)

Cheers