PDA

View Full Version : B&W DM-1400's Impressions

Hypnotoad
17-04-2012, 19:35
I picked up a pair of DM-1400's in pristine condition, they had the original boxes, packaging and paperwork. The finish on these things is first rate.

I have never had B&W's but since there highly rated I thought I would give them a try.

I set them up in my bedroom system and they really sing, the most apt way to describe them is natural sounding. What goes in is what comes out, no coloration at all. No wonder B&W's have a good reputation.

So here's a question for other B&W fans what other models of B&W's are worth pursuing?

Reid Malenfant
17-04-2012, 19:46
Nautilus :)

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Speakers/Home_Audio/Nautilus/Technologies.html

:lol:

Hypnotoad
17-04-2012, 19:55
Nautilus :)

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Speakers/Home_Audio/Nautilus/Technologies.html

:lol:

Wouldn't we all like to own those?

You buy some and I will come and check them out. :lol:

Stumpy
18-04-2012, 01:49
Well, to be honest, No.

The sound of them might disappear, but the looks wont. Always there distracting my attention from the music.

I used to have a pair of DM-1200's. Both models built like beautiful, expensive tanks. The top of their range at the time. Seem to remember the 14s as being too bass heavy and,..."Flumphy" sounding for me. 12s might have been bass light, but at least what was there was tight and well defined. All a bit too well dampened in the end for me though.

Fond memories.

Hypnotoad
18-04-2012, 14:39
Well, to be honest, No.

The sound of them might disappear, but the looks wont. Always there distracting my attention from the music.

I used to have a pair of DM-1200's. Both models built like beautiful, expensive tanks. The top of their range at the time. Seem to remember the 14s as being too bass heavy and,..."Flumphy" sounding for me. 12s might have been bass light, but at least what was there was tight and well defined. All a bit too well dampened in the end for me though.

Fond memories.

It's probably horses for courses, in my main system in the big room they were lost and the bass took over. But in my bedroom system they sound fine, the bass is just right, very detailed not one note bass. Mids and highs just right, and a sound stage wider than the speakers.

I have my turntable connected to a phono stage and a simple preamp with only a pair of pots for volume, this goes straight into the power amp and sounds superb IMO. YMMV