PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter advice, anybody?

DaveK
16-04-2012, 14:52
Hi y'all,
I've been offered a pair of Genexxa Pro LX% tweeters in good nick - I am thinking of adding tweeters to my Mission 774s - but I've never heard of them and Google does not seem to be much better informed - anybody know anything about them?
TIA,
Dave.
CORRECTION: it now seems as though they are Genexxa LX5 Pro speakers with linaeum tweeters on top (cast aluminium) so does anyone know anything about these tweeters?
Sorry for the confusion.
Dave.

Spectral Morn
16-04-2012, 15:29
As I recall these are not really tweeters as such but a two way speaker of tiny dimensions that was available at one time in a corian cabinet, then latter in a plastic body. I recall Ken Kessler raving about them at the time and I heard a pair once.

They were fast, open and detailed but needed to be used with a good sub to fill out the missing bass and lower mid.

Tandy were, again if I recall right, the last vendors in the UK and Radio shack sold them in the States, for these but that was a long time ago. Still pretty popular and sought after by those in the know about them.

Good luck finding a pair.

Regards D S D L

The Grand Wazoo
16-04-2012, 15:38
I have a pair of the speakers & just last week helped a friend to buy himself a pair because he was so taken with how they sounded in his system. They are superb at what they do, but as Neil says - they don't do bass.
They were sold by Tandy for a stupidly cheap price and branded as Genexxa, but they were also sold under the Optimus brand in other countries. You bought them as single speakers so you sometimes see pairs made up from one of each - but that doesn't seem to be a problem.
The treble is fantastic &, well placed they can image & soundstage as well as almost anything. They like a bit of power up 'em but the tweeters are unburstable.

Spectral Morn
16-04-2012, 15:46
The guy who had a pair I heard would not sell me his. "I don't use them much but I just like to hold onto them", was his reply......

Regards D S D L

DaveK
16-04-2012, 16:01
Thanks Neil 'n' Chris - much appreciated.
I'm happy with my Mission 774s and don't plan to change them (yet :) ) - my interest is only in the linaeum tweeters. Any ideas how easy or otherwise it might be to seperate the tweeters from the main speaker bodies?. FWIW I've just added a DIY (but not by me :) ) active sub woofer to the set up and whilst I don't think I've yet got perfect integration I know I'm not gonna be short of bass :lol: . So it sounds as though, if I can extract the tweeters in working order I might be able to make sweet music? :eyebrows: .
TIA,
Dave.

Reid Malenfant
16-04-2012, 16:27
I should imagine that the tweeter housing will be able to be unbolted from the inside of the bass/mid enclosure at a guess :)

Nice tweeters, I have no idea what so ever how Tandy made those speakers & sold them so damn cheap :eyebrows: Ok so it was only the tweeter that was the expensive bit - but still... :scratch:

The Grand Wazoo
16-04-2012, 16:28
The tweeters were also sold separately for DIY'ers & now sell for silly money (I saw three on Ebay for £300 the other day). I'm sure you could remove them Dave, but I don't know how easily. The cabinets are cast aluminium alloy by the way.

PaulStewart
17-04-2012, 01:58
Hi Dave,

Your 774s have tweeters and are a well balanced sound. Why do you want to add th Linaeum tweeters from the gensxxas, which as they are less sensitive, IIRC wil not be a match. However the Gevexxas with a good sub are stunning. May be better to sell the Missions.

wiicrackpot
17-04-2012, 09:26
Back in the day, i bought 3 pairs, after trying the 1st pair, i liked them so much so bought a pair for my sister as she was moving to France (still in use) and a back up pair for myself,
didn't know they were going to have cult following so tossed my in-use pair away as they were a bit tatty with stour gathering through the mesh on the Linaeum tweets and specks of emulsion paint on the cabs after years of use, since moved onto big Tannoys and Vintage Wharfedales but still have the back up pair unopened and in the big Tandy bags.

wii.

The Grand Wazoo
17-04-2012, 09:42
Dave,
Your post talks about Mission 774's & your signature says 773's - have you changed them recently, or is one of them a typo? There's a big difference between those two model numbers!

The Linaeum tweeters aren't super-tweeters - I think what you're proposing has a distinct possibility of sounding shite, matey. I think in this case, it should be either the Missions or the Genexxas & not some bastard hybrid of both.

I don't know what you do for speaker placement these days but I remember way back when you weren't able to bring them much away from the back wall. Is this still the case?

DaveK
17-04-2012, 10:36
Hi Chris,
Now that's the sort of helpful reply I really appreciate so many thanks for that - one of the main reasons why I stick around ;) .
Yes I have recently acquired a pair of 774s and am now looking for a good home for the 773s. I was so impressed by the 773s, bought on Puffin's recommendation, that I jumped at the chance of upgrading them to 774s at a good price and, as you say, there is a big difference between them but I would categorise that difference as much more of the same, rather than a change of character - don't know whether you would agree?
Regarding the Linaeum tweeters, I appreciate what you are saying and share your concerns. I only intend buying them if I can get them at a good price. The guy that is offering them is the same guy that sold me the 774s and he says the Genexxas and Linaeums sounded great with the 774s - make of that what you will :scratch: . I did not ask further questions because, at that time, Ihad no idea of what the heck he was talking about. Since following up on it I am now more interested but all will depend on the asking price.
To get back to tweeters and super tweeters, I have already 'invested in a pair of these to go with my 774s: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320877821584?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

With Mark's help (Reind Malenfant) I hope to integrate these with my 774s, the Genexxas etc. will be for a listen and move on or possibly replace the mod'd 774s (which I doubt :lol: ).
Regarding the speaker placement, I do a lot of listening through headphones, but when I really want to 'listen to the music my speaker cables are long enough to facilitate moving them away from the wall and placing them optimally - my wife has got more used to seeing them and is now a little more relaxed about them ;) .
My interest in hi-fi is a bit like a journey of exploration for me - I came to it late in life with zero pre-existing opinions and so, in my mind, anything might be possible so lets try it and see what it sounds like - it's been a very interesting journey so far, learned a bit and made loads of friends I've never met (and some of the others :lol:). My open mind on the subject has lead me down paths that I suspect others may not have chosen - you should see my Techie :lol: - but I'm enjoying what I've done.