PDA

View Full Version : JPW AP2, worth resurrecting?

AlfaGTV
15-04-2012, 15:02
Got my paws on a couple of JPW AP2's a while back. They are in great nick, but the foam surrounds on the bass unit have rotted away.
The cost for me sending the units away for replacing the foam surrounds will be around 80-100 quid.
Im looking for some views on the sanity in spending that kind of money on an old pair of speakers?
Br Mike

Puffin
15-04-2012, 15:37
I think these were well regarded in their time. I would repair them yourself if I were you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-RUBBER-Surrounds-JPW-P1-AP1-AP2-AP3-Speaker-Repair-/360393307087

Effem
15-04-2012, 15:44
Repairing them yourself isn't such a daunting task provided you don't try to rush the repair. I believe that seller includes instructions.

Once repaired you will be delighted with them. Never owned a pair myself but they have appeared from time to time at some of my bakeoffs and been really impressed by them :eyebrows:

stevekr
21-04-2012, 13:14
I had a pair back in the day with my Mission Cyrus 1 mk2, Dual 502 whatever. I regretted selling them :doh: as they were the best speakers I'd heard. I think they were made by prisoners on Dartmoor! There's something just right about infinite baffle speakers. Get them re-furbished you'll be glad you did.

AlfaGTV
21-04-2012, 13:27
I had a pair back in the day with my Mission Cyrus 1 mk2, Dual 502 whatever. I regretted selling them :doh: as they were the best speakers I'd heard. I think they were made by prisoners on Dartmoor! There's something just right about infinite baffle speakers. Get them re-furbished you'll be glad you did.

Thx for the input guys! I have ordered a pair of new surrounds and will attempt the repair myself! *gulp!!!*
Will report back when done :)

Br Mike

StanleyB
21-04-2012, 14:02
Thx for the input guys! I have ordered a pair of new surrounds and will attempt the repair myself! *gulp!!!*
Will report back when done :)

What about reporting back when you have got the repair kit, and sticking a new topic in the DIY section? There might be considerable interest in the process and procedures required to do such a repair, and this interest might include advise from others who have experience in how to go about it.
Could make for a hell of a good topic ;).

chelsea
21-04-2012, 14:07
Heard these a few times and always been very impressed.
Especially at one of franks bake offs a few years ago when they were powered by a manley iirc.Sounded extremely good.

I think puresound sells the drivers for these which are well worth getting repaired.

Martinh
21-04-2012, 15:32
What about reporting back when you have got the repair kit, and sticking a new topic in the DIY section? There might be considerable interest in the process and procedures required to do such a repair, and this interest might include advise from others who have experience in how to go about it.
Could make for a hell of a good topic ;).

Definitely interested, as I've got a pair of heybrook HB1s with the same problem.

If you do, please take loads of photos.

Cheers martin

The Grand Wazoo
21-04-2012, 16:28
What about reporting back when you have got the repair kit, and sticking a new topic in the DIY section? ........
......Could make for a hell of a good topic

This has actually been covered twice this month:

Allison Bass driver repair (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17068)

More Adventures in Speaker Re-foaming (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17353)

........but that is not to say that you shouldn't do exactly as Stan suggests, far from it as every little piece of information can only help give others more encouragement to do it. I know I was crapping myself ever so slightly when I sat down with all the bits in front of me last weekend!

Beobloke
23-04-2012, 11:51
Great speakers and well worth repairing, however, I would not use rubber surrounds like those linked to by Rob.

The properties of rubber are greatly different to that of foam and you will change the performance of the bass drivers quite a bit. You may well like the change, but it won't leave them sounding like AP2s are supposed to!

Puffin
23-04-2012, 13:02
Great speakers and well worth repairing, however, I would not use rubber surrounds like those linked to by Rob.

The properties of rubber are greatly different to that of foam and you will change the performance of the bass drivers quite a bit. You may well like the change, but it won't leave them sounding like AP2s are supposed to!

Very good point.

chelsea
23-04-2012, 13:18
Try guy @ puresound as i'am sure he sells the original parts for these.

AlfaGTV
23-04-2012, 13:51
Thx for the tip guys, but i found the correct ones already (i think at least)
Available from AudioFriends in Holland:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360377181186

I believe these to be correct, or reasonably within range.. ;)

BR /Micke

pure sound
23-04-2012, 14:02
I do sell them. It's the same driver as was used in the P1, AP2, AP3 and Heybrook HB1. I do get contacted by a number of people who've tried re-foaming and who are unhappy with the result. Either because they've made a mess of it, haven't shimmed the voice coil in the gap properly so they buzz or just find that the midrange quality has changed for the worse. The use of the correct foam (compliance & profile) and correct alignment is critical to getting the desired result.

Scanspeak make the drivers now in the old Vifa factory on Vifa's tooling with Vifa's former employees. Of course they achieve a very consistent result. They also tell me that the foam won't now disintegrate in the way the old ones did. I haven't sold any that are old enough to know whether that is true but I've no reason to doubt it.

Vifa itself seems to be just a brand (owned by Tymphany) whose products are made out in China. They don't make the M21 WG-09-08 any longer.

I'm sure there must be some people who re-foam and are happy with the result. Of course I don't hear from them.

If people are simply looking to repair & sell the speakers, I'd perhaps advise them to try re-foaming. It is much cheaper. If they are intending to keep and use the speakers, then new drivers are a much better bet.

I sell them for £72 each inc p&p and Vat.

It's also worth replacing the 4.7uF feed cap to the tweeter with a better quality film cap such as a polyprop.

AlfaGTV
30-04-2012, 15:40
The encouragement from you guys was the thing that made me give repair a try!
And TBH it was well worth the effort! These "little boxes" surely plays music!
Amasing bass performance taking into account the sealed boxes! The tighness i'd expect, but theres more of it than i would've thought!
Great entertainers and not to fuzzy bout the amplification either.

Pics were taken, and i'll give it a shot in the DIY section later!

Br Mike