PDA

View Full Version : The House of Doom...beckons.

BlueEyes
14-04-2012, 22:38
Hi Folks,

I am thinking of having my first ever bake-off in June and it would be fun to meet AOS members if any of you might be interested.

I live just south of Stockport on the A6 to Buxton.

Happy that members suggest dates if there is any interest.

I intend to gut the property I am presently in so no-one need stand on ceremony and you can bring whatever gear you want as I am more interested in listening to yours than mine!

The House of Doom bungalow backs onto a terraced garden ( my guess is Lord Lucan might be hiding out in it! ) and jetty abutting the Macclesfield canal so if we're lucky enough to get good weather it should be fun provided you don't fall in the canal and as the place is detached we can carry on for as long as anyone wants to listen and if anyone wants to bring a sleeping bag and kip over no problem.

The drinking of copious amounts of alcohol will be the only requirement of attendance! :cool:

Regards,

Greg

YNWaN
14-04-2012, 23:21
Is there no specific theme then Greg?

bogle111
14-04-2012, 23:23
:uhho:

I'll say one thing Greg, you got guts!!!

Best Regards
Pete

BlueEyes
14-04-2012, 23:31
Is there no specific theme then Greg?

I'm open to any suggestions Mark?

The lounge isn't that big but I was thinking of clearing it so people can bring their gear and we can all listen to it.

BlueEyes
14-04-2012, 23:36
Pete,

Well the Peak dosen't quite compare with the scenery I remember driving through Canada to the Arctic Circle but hopefully it will be a laugh.

If there is any interest, at all, I don't want too many so it remains manageable, but people have been kind enough to invite me into their homes, including Mark, so it would be fun to respond in a low key way.

The house is rough and ready with a view to gutting it so no-one needs to worry about the chintz curtains...because there aren't any!

YNWaN
14-04-2012, 23:40
I'm not a fan of curtains either :)

Marco
15-04-2012, 06:42
Count me in, Greg! I'll being me Techy, some music, as always, and anything else that may be appropriate :cool:

Marco.

BlueEyes
15-04-2012, 10:07
Will be great to meet up Marco.

In answer to Mark's suggestion of a theme.

One might be not to be as stupid as me.

I have in cleaning the deck just managed to snap the stylus off my denon 103.

No, I didn't put the cover on it before I cleaned the deck.

That's the stupid bit :doh:

PS At least when I bought my first stylus on my return to viinyl I had the foresight not to go upmarket anticipating I would do something daft like this.

Marco
15-04-2012, 15:00
Hi Greg,

What are you like - nightmare... All is not lost, though. Send it to Dom at North West Analogue, who posts here, and he'll fix it for you! It'll probably come back better than it was to start with :)

Marco.

aquapiranha
15-04-2012, 20:25
I would love to go, but I doubt I could make it.

trio leo
19-04-2012, 23:02
Hi Greg,
I live near stockport and I'm up for a listen like Marco so PM me and let me know when and where. What is your system?

regards Al

BlueEyes
20-04-2012, 16:39
Hi Greg,
I live near stockport and I'm up for a listen like Marco so PM me and let me know when and where. What is your system?

regards Al

Al, I have pm'd you!

Will be fun to meet up and bring your own gear so we can listen to that too.

Best wishes,

Greg

Big Vern
20-04-2012, 17:03
Hi Greg,

I'm not too far away and would be up for a sesh, if that's in order? :) Just drop me a PM with the date/times and we can go from there!

Very Best Wishes,

Marco
20-04-2012, 17:14
Nice one, Paul. The list is growing! Come on, folks, let's get as many bodies there, with a diverse range of kit, as Greg can handle :cool:

Marco.

BlueEyes
20-04-2012, 17:29
Hi Greg,

I'm not too far away and would be up for a sesh, if that's in order? :) Just drop me a PM with the date/times and we can go from there!

Very Best Wishes,

Hi Paul,

I have just pm'd you.

I am happy to fit in with what is best for those who are able to attend so I am looking for a date in June that suits everyone.

It would be great if everyone could bring some gear.

I say this for selfish reasons so I can listen to the gear of people with a lot more knowledge of this hobby than my own!

Regards,

Greg

BlueEyes
23-04-2012, 20:05
Hi Greg,

regards Al

Al, I have a Garrard 301 renovated by Martin Bastin with his bearing and his heavy wooden plinth and a renovated SME 3012 series II tonearm..

As you see I have broken the stylus on my denon 103 and I have considered a SPU. Which one do you have?

In particular, the Ortofon SPU Classic GM MkII with the spherical stylus as being, I think, the cheapest?

I would welcome your opinion on this cartridge as I would Marco or anyone else who has an experience of it. Presumably, it's good value and will work with the EAR 834P phono stage I already have?

I have an "in-betweenie-system" that I intend to, shortly, upgrade of Rega Apollo & Brio 3 plus Dynaudio Audience 52s on Partiington Dreadnought stands hence my wish to hear other people's systems so I know what I should be buying!

Greg