PDA

View Full Version : Using a step-down mains transformer on USA equipment

Wakefield Turntables
12-04-2012, 18:00
Just a quick question. I've been looking into getting some Mark Levinson or Audio Research gear but the prices in the UK are stupid, the USA, especially eBay.com seems to produce more realistic prices. But, the equipment is 120V, so do you think by using a step-DOWN-transformer to 240v that the equipment will internally suffer, or by sonically affected? I'd really like some answers to this one please!!! Thanks Andy.

Reid Malenfant
12-04-2012, 18:08
If you are talking about a pre amp which is low power & an oversized step down transformer then it probably won't make much difference..

Most of there kit should be internally configerable for 230/240V working, after all the same kit was sold in the UK & I can't see them using two different types of mains transformers when one would do :D

Marco
12-04-2012, 18:54
Isn't it a step-down transformer that's needed instead? ;)

I thought that the idea was to step-down the uk voltage of 240V to the 120V, required of the USA kit, so that it doesn't blow up....

Marco.

P.S Why has this been posted in the vintage section?

Reid Malenfant
12-04-2012, 18:57
Quite right :eyebrows: Edit post time :D

Ali Tait
12-04-2012, 18:58
The transformer should give some filtering, so may be a slight improvement over a 240v model.

hifi_dave
12-04-2012, 19:07
Most of there kit should be internally configerable for 230/240V working, after all the same kit was sold in the UK & I can't see them using two different types of mains transformers when one would do :D

They did. The transformers were made in Scotland for use with Europe's 230 v 50 Hz. Not sure about the latest stuff though, as I believe a lot of it is made in China now.

With these transformers the mechanical buzz was non-existant whereas other US exotica could be heard from the other side of the room.

Wakefield Turntables
12-04-2012, 19:19
Quite right :eyebrows: Edit post time :D

done, sorry!

The transformer should give some filtering, so may be a slight improvement over a 240v model.

Ali, can you explain why?

Isn't it a step-down transformer that's needed instead? ;)

I thought that the idea was to step-down the uk voltage of 240V to the 120V, required of the USA kit, so that it doesn't blow up....

Marco.

P.S Why has this been posted in the vintage section?

Again, double :doh: I posted it here because I intend to buy some vintage mark levinson or Audio research stuff of ebay.com, hence a question about past masters (vintage hifi). ;)

If you are talking about a pre amp which is low power & an oversized step down transformer then it probably won't make much difference..

Mark, how do you check if its internally configerable? I guess its a case of opening up the hardware and looking for a 120 to 240v switch somewhere on the PCB:scratch:

Marco
12-04-2012, 19:28
Again, double I posted it here because I intend to buy some vintage mark levinson or Audio research stuff of ebay.com, hence a question about past masters (vintage hifi).

No worries, but until such time as you do, the thread will remain in its correct section :)

Thread title also duly edited... ;)

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
12-04-2012, 19:30
Mark, how do you check if its internally configerable? I guess its a case of opening up the hardware and looking for a 120 to 240v switch somewhere on the PCB:scratch:
I doubt there will be a switch. What you need to look for is a split primary on the mains transformer. If it has one & it's wired for the US you'll find two wires from the mains side are in parallel on the live & neutral side of the transformer.

It's then a question of a little rewiring so that they run in series for 240V as each primary section will be rated for 110/120V working :)

It's not something I'd suggest you attempt unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing :eek:

camtwister
12-04-2012, 20:03
If you do decide to purchase a transformer, Andrew, ensure that it has adequate headroom for power handling.

You can calculate this by multiplying the published power consumption of the amp (not to be confused with the power output) by an appropriate 'factor' for the type of device in question.

I'll defer to the qualified sparks to suggest the factor required in this scenario, but I understand that for devices with start-up surges the factor can be as high as '8'.

jaym481
12-04-2012, 22:00
Having recently moved to the UK from 110/120V land, I'm using a step down with my gear (the stuff that isn't switchable). I have a 2000W transformer feeding my Panamax 5500, which powers my integrated amp, and phono pre, and have no issues. I did have to try a couple of different ones to get a step down that didn't hum though.

Neil McCauley
24-07-2015, 19:45
Just a quick question. I've been looking into getting some Mark Levinson or Audio Research gear but the prices in the UK are stupid, the USA, especially eBay.com seems to produce more realistic prices. But, the equipment is 120V, so do you think by using a step-DOWN-transformer to 240v that the equipment will internally suffer, or by sonically affected? I'd really like some answers to this one please!!! Thanks Andy.

This might be relevant from Colin Wonfor: http://www.hifianswers.com/2015/06/colins-clinic-mr-wonfor-answers-your-question-36-step-down-converter-does-it-degrade-the-sound/

Wakefield Turntables
25-07-2015, 07:38
I'd forgotten all about this thread:D