PDA

View Full Version : What a knob I am!

northwest
09-04-2012, 09:47
This is a thread for those of us who have dropped a real clanger. You know you have. I have, my latest was last week. What an arse I am. You may recall my thread about my Quad 303 and the nice shiny new front panel I installed from David over at Net-Audio?
Yes, well in the same picture you might have notice two bloody great Quad 405 which are now mono-blocks? The intention is to get a Beresford 7220 Audio router and run the two systems in parallel through my ESL's.
So anyway, in the quest for "tidyness" I cropped the speaker cables (bearing in mind they had been this way for the last ten years or so) and now they run from the Quad ESL's up to the 303 Power amp in lovely arcs. Unfortunately they are now approx four bloody foot too short to reach up to the Audio Router:doh::doh::doh:

Oh why do we do these things? I had even arranged a replacement cable from Mark on here but that is going to be about three or four foot too short so I have had to decline his kind offer.

This looks like it is going to be a right old dera do! Despite my efforts to keep the costs down in case it doesnt't work. Either new replacement cables or the router is going on the floor and the cables are going to be pulled taught.

What an arse!

Macca
09-04-2012, 09:57
One of those 'I don't believe you wanted to do that' moments, eh?

How long a cable do you need? I have two 3 metre bi-wire lengths of Cable Talk 3 lying around if thay are any use to you. Unterminated.

Krisbee
09-04-2012, 09:59
Well seeing as no one has offered an sympathy up to now, nor admitted to their own "arse" moments (re-phrase that if you wish) , let me do both.

It's wasn't hi-fi, but years ago when I still had two good legs, working in the loft I managed to slip and put my foot through the ceiling. What an arse! Not that was my only blunder. but it sticks in the mind and hurts the pride.

A far worse error was the last supposedly routine keyhole op one my left knee which turned into an unmitigated disaster and started me on a downward spiral.

So in a way it's not so bad. A bit of cable may seem bloody annoying right now, but it can be fixed. Don't let it spoil your week.

snuffbox
09-04-2012, 10:12
I've done the foot through the ceiling thing.
My last expensive "oh shit" moment was last year when Idrove my 21" cut John Deere mower over a bit of washing line pole sticking out the ground an wrecked the crankshaft.
New mower about a grand,repair about four hundred,fortunately got a virtually brand new one off the bay for four hundred plus another seventy five for shipping.
Try to be very careful since.

anthonyTD
09-04-2012, 10:30
This is a thread for those of us who have dropped a real clanger. You know you have. I have, my latest was last week. What an arse I am. You may recall my thread about my Quad 303 and the nice shiny new front panel I installed from David over at Net-Audio?
Yes, well in the same picture you might have notice two bloody great Quad 405 which are now mono-blocks? The intention is to get a Beresford 7220 Audio router and run the two systems in parallel through my ESL's.
So anyway, in the quest for "tidyness" I cropped the speaker cables (bearing in mind they had been this way for the last ten years or so) and now they run from the Quad ESL's up to the 303 Power amp in lovely arcs. Unfortunately they are now approx four bloody foot too short to reach up to the Audio Router:doh::doh::doh:

Oh why do we do these things? I had even arranged a replacement cable from Mark on here but that is going to be about three or four foot too short so I have had to decline his kind offer.

This looks like it is going to be a right old dera do! Despite my efforts to keep the costs down in case it doesnt't work. Either new replacement cables or the router is going on the floor and the cables are going to be pulled taught.

What an arse!
Hi Graham,
I am sure a lot of us have done far worse [i know i have] so dont be too down on yourself, it will all be sorted with some replacement cables.
A...

northwest
09-04-2012, 10:40
Oh I just put it down to life. I laugh at myself about it really. Being philosophical about it - there are far worse things. Just the whole deal of starting a "budget" project and here I am looking at new cables!
The snag is, I had to cut the longest one and it needs to be about 7 metres. It WAS 8!

balls!

Thanks for the offer Martin, but as you see, unless I start joining cables - which goes completely against the grain - I need a new length of cable. I thought it was about five metres, until I actually measured it <sigh>

The ceiling thing - my youngest son has just done that at his house. With the logistics involved I am pleased to say he had a builder in to reboard the ceiling.

icehockeyboy
09-04-2012, 10:57
When I was an apprentice electrician, I once had to walk across the joists in a newly created lower ceiling above a bar in a pub, that had literally just had plaster put on it.

You know that I am about to say how I misplaced my foot and ended up with my leg dangling though the ceiling much to the annoyance of the plasterer, but thoroughly enjoyed by everyone else!

The Grand Wazoo
09-04-2012, 11:01
We can make some good come out of all of this Graham.........really we can!
What you have done is laid down the groundwork for yet another system. We can't have that newly cut cable going to waste in these financially difficult times can we? All you need now is the components to connect it up to. Maybe you could cut the cable again & get two more systems - perhaps with mono-blocks placed right behind the speakers for short cable runs, you could get a third one.
Hmmmm, yes, it's all coming together now!

seoirse2002
09-04-2012, 11:21
Many years ago I knocked a full tin of white paint off the stepladder onto a brand new dark red axminster....blamed the dog

StanleyB
09-04-2012, 11:37
Many years ago I knocked a full tin of white paint off the stepladder onto a brand new dark red axminster....blamed the dog
I stood on a white tin of oil based paint to get to a cupboard. The tin collapsed inward, my foot went into the tin, I fell down, paint gushed in my direction, and I was suddenly covered in paint. Being oil based paint, I had to first clean myself off with terpentine. That had to be done over several hours. Needed help from the girl next door, and owed her several favours afterwards...

northwest
09-04-2012, 11:38
My brother, God rest his, once drove over a speed bump at high speed with two gallon tins of white epoxy paint flying around in the back of an Astra van. Needless to say, the lid came off and the back of the van was covered in part one of the two pack. His answer to the problem? Fire up the pressure washer, open the back doors of the van an blast the stuff forwards. We just wrote the van off. It was the simplest solution.

As for creating another system. You know what? My system is just terrific. I am concentrating on buying music right now because, as I have chronicled elsewhere, the problem is the poorly engineered albums now. When this happens you just know you have reached "a point" in the journey and it is time to pause, reflect and remember why we have the system in the first place. I am rather pleased with the fact that much of my kit has been refurbished/modified by myself.

The Grand Wazoo
09-04-2012, 11:51
You know what? My system is just terrific.......... you just know you have reached "a point" in the journey and it is time to pause....

That's a great place to be.

northwest
09-04-2012, 11:56
That's a great place to be.

Guess what? I intend to stay here a while too!

bobbasrah
09-04-2012, 17:22
And one I am sure we have all done when the U-bend under the kitchen has been removed for cleaning........
After the first time it doesn't improve....
Cables can be replaced, wet feet can be dried....