PDA

View Full Version : Croft Series 7 monos vs. 7R stereo amps.

IHP
01-04-2012, 16:27
Just pondering !

I wondered if anyone had any views on the attributes of each of these ? The 7R was recently described to me as being more 'muscular' than the 7 and with this I cannot disagree.

I've have the 7 now and briefly owned the 7R in the past and just wondered what a pair of 7 monos would bring to the party. Very interested to hear any thoughts ?

jon1
01-04-2012, 18:55
Just pondering !

I wondered if anyone had any views on the attributes of each of these ? The 7R was recently described to me as being more 'muscular' than the 7 and with this I cannot disagree.

I've have the 7 now and briefly owned the 7R in the past and just wondered what a pair of 7 monos would bring to the party. Very interested to hear any thoughts ?

Ian the 7 monos are very good but only had them for a very short time.can not add more:)but the biggest jump was when i upgraded to the 7r monos from the 7 monos

jon

hifi_dave
01-04-2012, 19:39
The 7 mono's are better than the 7 stereo but the 7R is better still. IMO. If you can stretch to the 7R mono's you won't be disappointed.

Elephantears
02-04-2012, 08:43
Deleted due to revised information.

hifi_dave
02-04-2012, 08:48
I've used the 7R with a range of speakers including the Harbeth, Rega, PMC, Neat, Kudos ranges which I stock. I've also used many others in the 18 months or so that the 7 and 7R have been available. I've not noticed any problems, it just sounds like a 7 or 7R.

You need to hear them yourself.

Elephantears
02-04-2012, 09:07
Ok, I revise the above; the person I heard from was talking about the 7R monos!

There was no mention of problems, and I have heard the 7R myself. I think its excellent. However none of us are able to make the comparison with the 7 monos ourself.

hifi_dave
02-04-2012, 09:32
Trouble with forums is that you don't always receive informed or accurate advice.

In both cases, the mono-blocks sound better than the standard amps. The mono 7 sounds better than the stereo 7 and will drive any speaker you are likely to use with them.

The mono-block 7R sounds better than the stereo 7R and drives any speaker with ease that I've tried.

The mono's are basically, the same amp as the stereo versions but with completely separate power supplies, so they have to sound better than the stereo.

The Black Adder
02-04-2012, 10:02
My lower powered 7R sounds unbelievably good, with some additions to the stock 7R like better vavles, resistors, phono sockets, the 7R mono block output stage and some other tweeks Glenn made I'm well happy.

I was going to go with some 7 Mono's as I really like mono amps, always have. But I really can't complain as this sounds very different than any monoblock setup I've had, and for the better in my opinion but saying that.... 7R mono's.... mmmmm!

No... down boy, down!

hifi_dave
02-04-2012, 11:25
The Series 7R mono-blocks are seriously good and as for the new 25RS pre-amp........

realysm42
02-04-2012, 11:57
Joe, can you link me to the thread where you mention your lower powered amp(s) please; I found it very interesting and would like to read it again.

Dave - don't tease, tell us more!

IHP
02-04-2012, 12:18
Thanks all.

I was coming from the stance that whilst the 7R is a more muscular amp I'm finding I have a real soft spot for the 7, perhaps even prefer it (personal taste caveat of course !).

As sure as I am that the two box R gear is wonderful stuff, it's well beyond my budget I'm afraid. Not saying it's not worth it of course.

Presumably 7 monos increase the output ?

The Black Adder
02-04-2012, 13:50
Joe, can you link me to the thread where you mention your lower powered amp(s) please; I found it very interesting and would like to read it again.

Sure. Here is is:

Croft 25 & 7R+ (http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16377)

hifi_dave
02-04-2012, 14:16

Actually 'more' is what you get with the 25RS pre - more of everything really and a whole heap of good, tight, punchy bass which I've not had before. Where that comes from with such small boxes, I don't know but it is a very specialpre indeed.

The Black Adder
02-04-2012, 15:16
Actually 'more' is what you get with the 25RS pre - more of everything really and a whole heap of good, tight, punchy bass which I've not had before. Where that comes from with such small boxes, I don't know but it is a very specialpre indeed.

That's the next step for me Dave... :)

jon1
02-04-2012, 17:18
The Series 7R mono-blocks are seriously good and as for the new 25RS pre-amp........

+1;)

jon

Elephantears
02-04-2012, 18:19
So no one is going to venture any comments about the comparison between 7 monos and 7R?

I think we can all guess that a 7R is better than a 7, and a 25RS is better than a 25R, etc. Although Ian's comments suggest that it's not always the case that you have to spend more.

But 7 monos vs 7R is a key comparison because they are the same price.

It may be that monos work best with some speakers and the regulated 7 works best with others. It would be very interesting to have some suggestions in this direction from anyone who has compared.

jon1
02-04-2012, 18:26
So no one is going to venture any comments about the comparison between 7 monos and 7R?

I think we can all guess that a 7R is better than a 7, and a 25RS is better than a 25R, etc. Although Ian's comments suggest that it's not always the case that you have to spend more.

It may be that monos work best with some speakers and the regulated 7 works best with others. It would be very interesting to have some suggestions in this direction from anyone who has compared.

Best to ask dave andrew can not comment on 7 monos vs 7r amp did not have the 7r amp

jon

hifi_dave
02-04-2012, 18:27
I thought that I'd answered that back in post no.3...:scratch:

jon1
02-04-2012, 18:32
I thought that I'd answered that back in post no.3...:scratch:

Can you repeat it dave just for the hard of hearing:D

jon

hifi_dave
02-04-2012, 19:58
Can you repeat it dave just for the hard of hearing:D

jon

What was that..:scratch:

Elephantears
02-04-2012, 20:36
Ah yes, I see it now. But you weren't too expansive about why, Dave, you must admit.

jon1
02-04-2012, 21:05
What was that..:scratch:

:D

jon

IHP
03-04-2012, 06:35

To be fair it was a big ask - there can't be many folk who've had both in their system and could pass comment. I really do believe that system synergy and personal taste are big issues here. At this level, especially with the GC gear, the performance of all of it is so high. I may take the plunge with the monos but at the moment lack the motivation given my love affair with the 7 !

Audioman
03-04-2012, 08:52
Just a practical thought. Clearly Dave thinks overall the 7R is a little better than mono 7's. But I'm sure some will prefer mono blocks in their system for more power. If you plump for 7 monos I assume Glen could upgrade them to 7R when funds permit. Best of both worlds solution then ?