PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy sellers on ebay

peelaaa
22-03-2012, 13:25
There was an emt 950 listed on ebay for a very short time just recently, possible only 2 days. Listing stated, email for more pictures and for the buy it now price etc!

I emailed and the guy wanted, name, address, ebay user name etc. He stated it was £1800 including shipping.

But to add to the uncertaincy of this, the pictures and serial number were exactly the same as one listed from canada for $7000 that ended on the 29th feb. It was 'sold' to a user based in romania. The description was 99% the same too. The listing has now gone from ebay, but as soon as I questioned that it was not on ebay anymore, there has been no replies.

Doesn't sound right to me. His email address is iananthonycox@hotmail.co.uk

Be careful out there, as just a couple of weeks a go a denon dp-100 was listed but was removed by ebay for some reason, and a warning sent to all who had bidded.

isobarik
23-03-2012, 17:28
Hi

I too emailed Mr Cox about an hour before the auction ended....this is part of the email I received:
Hi and thanks for the email. I am sorry about the late reply. The item is in very good condition, no problems here, no VAT added. The buy it now price including shipping is £1,800 (delivered anywhere in the UK). I will get somebody to bring it to you if you decide to buy it but we have to close the deal through eBay, inspection period prior buying it along with a refund policy will be included in the sale terms. Let me know if you want details on how to complete the sale. I attached pictures. It's located in Aberdeen

I received this email three hours after the auction had ended!!

I think I had a very lucky escape!

Some unscrupulous people out there!!

Regards

Ray

Tim
24-03-2012, 11:49
Caveat emptor ;)

peelaaa
24-03-2012, 13:47
Hi

I too emailed Mr Cox about an hour before the auction ended....this is part of the email I received:
Hi and thanks for the email. I am sorry about the late reply. The item is in very good condition, no problems here, no VAT added. The buy it now price including shipping is £1,800 (delivered anywhere in the UK). I will get somebody to bring it to you if you decide to buy it but we have to close the deal through eBay, inspection period prior buying it along with a refund policy will be included in the sale terms. Let me know if you want details on how to complete the sale. I attached pictures. It's located in Aberdeen

I received this email three hours after the auction had ended!!

I think I had a very lucky escape!

Some unscrupulous people out there!!

Regards

Ray

That email is exactly the one I received. The ebay pictures and description seem to be taken from one advertised by a user called Sheridang based in montreal, canada. And it was apparantly bought from user danaruxandra who is based in Romania.

All this info is easily obtained by checking feedback listings.

Its a disgrace that ebay does nothing about it.

twelvebears
24-03-2012, 22:49
Just before I decided upon my NAD M2, I alerted eBay to a dodgy Mark Levinson No.383 Integrated Amplifier.

It all looked legitimate, and the add included convincing photo, typical of a real owner - i.e. placed carefully on a nice coffee table, with other typical furnishings in sight.

It had a good buy it now price and I went for it, but because it was listed as being in Berkhamstead (also convincing as it's a nice town in Hertfordshire), I sent a message saying I would collect in person and pay on collection as I live about 10 mins away.

The next thing I know, my winning bid is rejected without any answer to my message. Obviously because you can't scam someone who lives locally and wants to come round and collect! If it was a real seller, you'd be chuffed not to have worry about packing and shipping the thing!

Reported it to eBay because someone else made a winning bid and I didn't want thjem getting screwed.

eBay did actually confirm to me that they had interceded and it was a bogus trade done on the real account of some poor sod who's account had been hacked.

Reid Malenfant
24-03-2012, 23:00
eBay did actually confirm to me that they had interceded and it was a bogus trade done on the real account of some poor sod who's account had been hacked.
A good friend of mine had both his ebay & paypal accounts compromised a while back.

He didn't use either of them that often, but all of a sudden he had something like 5000+ emails in his email account, so he goes about deleting them because they were spam. Little known to him someone had a fair sized chunk of money payed into his account & then spat off elsewhere.

All the emails were about covering up this pretty big money transfer, if you are faced with more email correspondance than you can be bothered to look at all of a sudden then something is going on..

He had to take out a new email AD & suchlike, luckily he lost out on nothing :rolleyes:

PaulStewart
26-03-2012, 16:07
Shortly after the Art Audio Carrisa was launched, I saw one on fleabay. I was the winning bidder at £45.99 for a £4500.00 amp. I noticed that it was listed as 110/240v and checked with Tom Willis, who confirmed no such thing existed also, there were only 5 in the world at that time and they were all accounted for. I contacted the seller and said I would collect and pay cash, he refused this and said Western Union only. At this point I called the Police as fleabay were not interested. The then new eCrime unit followed it up and 18 months later two fraudsters from eastern Europe were snt down for 18 months and 4 years respectively.

nat8808
28-03-2012, 18:43
??

Surely no-one actually contacts these people and thinks they are anything but scams do they?

It is a LOT less common on eBay now than it used to be. You would see people's accounts being used suddenly for listing about 40 odd high value items and all say ' do not bid, contact me for a price on this seperate email address' etc etc.

Why? Because it's not their eBay account and they only want contact to their own private email address because they don't have access to the address registered with ebay.

You will see a lot of the same equipment photos being used again and again too - one that often comes up is a Denon DP1000 rare studio deck, same photos with it's shipping crates.

You get a lot of it on craigslist and gumtree too, same photos used again and again of rare gear, all scams.

Maybe I've just had enough experience of browsing eBay and classifieds to feel when something is not right but I am often surprised that others don't.