PDA

View Full Version : Ground loop hum - Audible Illusions L2B Modulus pre amp

clap
21-03-2012, 11:50
Hi Guys,

I am feeling a bit stressed and frazzled here. I picked up a lightly used Audible Illusions L2B Modulus pre amp yesterday. On getting it home and plugging it in I have a loud hum from the speakers. Apart from humming it is also causing the protection circuitry in my Classe power amp to kick in and cut the sound. It can't stay like that. It is covered on their webiste -

"When two separate components, i.e.: preamp and amplifier, are plugged into two separate AC circuits a low frequency hum is generally amplified with the musical signal and is heard through the speakers. This problem is usually solved by plugging both components into the same circuit or by "floating" the AC ground lead of one component using a "cheater plug". A more thorough description of this problem, with suggested remedies, can be located on the website of our dealer in the UK: www.walrus.co.uk/tech/tech.htm FAQ".

That webpage is no longer working.

I have all my kit plugged into a Belkin pf40. I have plugged both the amps into the switched sockets.

I only have the dac running into the pre-amp at the moment. The dac is battery powered.

I have spoken to Walrus who mentioned removing the ground/earth from one of the compnenets to break the loop??? I am not entirely sure what this means and if it is something I can do myself. If I can't get it sorted the seller has offered to take it back but from a practical point of view that is very difficult. It has played briefly without the problem and sounds good. So, ideally I would resolve the problem and keep it. So far the seller seems to be very good about it, offering the take it back etc. Any help will be music to my frazzled nerves. Thanks.

clap
21-03-2012, 12:07
Please continue to post replies but we have major progress. I have unplugged both amps from the Belkin and the hum has all but disappeared. There was a very small amount on starting them up but after a second or two it disappeared.

sq225917
21-03-2012, 13:39
By lifting the earth they just mean disconnecting the earth wire that connects the pre-amp to the wall, you can either do this inside the amp, or inside the plug, if it's not a moulded plug. Frankly neither of these options is the ideal solution as having a spare wire waggling round seldom makes things safer. Sound like you have a solution, might still be worth trying to find live and neutral only IEC mainslead, they do exist, my Tag monos use them.

clap
22-03-2012, 00:22
By lifting the earth they just mean disconnecting the earth wire that connects the pre-amp to the wall, you can either do this inside the amp, or inside the plug, if it's not a moulded plug. Frankly neither of these options is the ideal solution as having a spare wire waggling round seldom makes things safer. Sound like you have a solution, might still be worth trying to find live and neutral only IEC mainslead, they do exist, my Tag monos use them.

I am using Mark Grants at the moment. Any idea where I would get live and neutral cables only? And, are they safe? I suppose an American amp wouldn't have an earth in their mains cable?

jostber
26-03-2012, 09:38
Would it be this site you are looking for?

http://www.walrus.co.uk/tech/hum.html

clap
26-03-2012, 15:34
Thanks for that, couldn't find it. I've plugged them both into the same double socket and that seems to have done it.

jostber
26-03-2012, 16:30
Good to hear that! :thumbsup: