PDA

View Full Version : Caption Competition Results

The Grand Wazoo
28-12-2008, 01:22
OK folks, (if anyone's still interested)
Here are the results to my Yuletide Caption Competition

In reverse order:

prize

a

deserves

everyone

that

high

so

was

standard

the

thought

I

even for those people who went for quantity rather than quality!!!!!!.

And just to show there are no hard feelings on the religion front, I'm happy to send a prize to D Louth.

But, please don't imagine for a minute, those of you who don't own turntables, that you'll make anything by selling your treasured trophy on Ebay!! You may find another use for it though.

I'm not sure how to do this, but perhaps you guys can pm me with your addresses & I'll get your prizes in the post - I'll understand if you don't want to supply your details to me (a total stranger, who knows you all have valuable hifi gear in your houses- see below a quote from my first post to this forum to elaborate on this). If there's another way, then let me know.

I use the name The Grand Wazoo rather reluctantly and here’s why.

I have a thing about people using internet forums and using assumed names.

I think that this can give licence to people to say things that they would not normally feel able to say. This encourages rudeness, crudeness and in the worst cases, probably libel. I do not believe that in a normal situation people should be able to say anything without accountability.

However, in the case of this forum, I feel I have to alter my stance somewhat. The reason for this is that I will probably be speaking about highly desirable, valuable and portable possessions, worth, in total, far more than the new value of my family car. I will not do anything to allow the guys with the stripey shirts and the bags marked ‘swag’ to find out where my prized possessions reside. Therefore, I will not, in this case, be using my real name.

The Grand Wazoo
29-12-2008, 18:20
OK guys, I've sent Primalsea & Muffinman their prizes. I was able to do that because they pm'ed me their postal addresses.

I've found Dave Green Home's address from his website, so he get's a prize too.

By my reckoning I'm waiting for Ali Tait, Filterlab and DLouth to send me their addresses. Or did I leave someone out?

By the way, I said there'd be a prize or maybe 2. Well it's 2!!!!!

I've sent the guys a covering note to explain what they've got & how to use them. I also asked them to try them out & report their findings on Art of Sound.

PS I'm not trying to sell anything!!!

If you don't want yours, then let me know & I'll offer it to the first taker - or maybe I'll run another competition!!

The Grand Wazoo
29-12-2008, 19:05
Ali just stepped up to claim his prize - any more takers?

The Grand Wazoo
29-12-2008, 19:56
And it looks like Filterlab is in the market for a turntable, cos he's claiming his prize too!

Primalsea
29-12-2008, 20:10
OW OW OW OW What is it! I'm all exited now!

Is it made of wood and if I dont like it can I carve my door number on it and hang it on the front of my house:)

Filterlab
29-12-2008, 20:20
And it looks like Filterlab is in the market for a turntable, cos he's claiming his prize too!

:) I think I may be now.

The Grand Wazoo
29-12-2008, 20:27

Well, let's face it - you're in it up to your neck now, being the soon-to-be owner of 2 turntable related items!

You may as well finish the job off & get yourself a turntable.

The Grand Wazoo
29-12-2008, 20:50
I managed to track down DLouth, so that's it folks.

I've done my bit so...........
I'm expecting 6 full subjective and objective reviews of these products with photos & measurements asap.
If you don't own a turntable - then you'd better get one quick.

Merry bleedin' Christmas!!

Spectral Morn
29-12-2008, 21:02
Thank you Grand Wazoo

Now tracked down despite my DALEK conversion.

Regards D S D L----- Neil

Beechwoods
29-12-2008, 21:07
You are mad... fantastic name though!

Filterlab
29-12-2008, 21:27
Well, let's face it - you're in it up to your neck now, being the soon-to-be owner of 2 turntable related items!

You may as well finish the job off & get yourself a turntable.

Nice one! Thank you very much. :)

Mike
30-12-2008, 18:49

I know just the thing for you Rob! :) ;)

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1694

Beechwoods
30-12-2008, 18:53
Hell yeah! They are really nice. Definitely worth considering!

Filterlab
30-12-2008, 20:01
I know just the thing for you Rob! :) ;)

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1694

I've just been glancing at that as it happens Mike. :) May be a while before I go turntable though, no records, no pre-amp, no space etc etc etc, However I'll see how quickly my mind is changed once TGW's prize arrives.

muffinman
31-12-2008, 14:40
Big up to the wazzer
my prize arrived this morning.
i sat down and ate the supplied jellies whilst i read my letter, i feel quite ill now. ;)
i'll give it all a go in the next few days.
thanks for the fun fella

Spectral Morn
31-12-2008, 16:50
Hi

My gift arrived today, Excellent a baby Dalek. Friendly before conversion to the darkside.

I look forward to trying it, the other gift scares me a bit. I can't really afford to kill my Frog Gold Cart, so I will try on something older.

Thank you ever so much for your kindness.

Happy new Year ---- when the invasion comes we will spare you and your family.

Regards D S D L ----- Neil :)

Filterlab
01-01-2009, 19:05
A baby Dalek, great prize! :lol:

Thanks TGW for my stylus cleaners, I now just need a cartridge and an arm and a turntable and a phono stage and a pre-amp to go with them. :)

Primalsea
02-01-2009, 19:22
Hi Waz,

Got the sticky hand, what a good idea. I didn't get the other one though but it seems like a good idea so I will buy one when Im in town again.

Cheers

The Grand Wazoo
24-01-2009, 08:22
You're welcome folks!!

Sorry I wasn't able to reply to all this sooner.

In case anyone is wondering what the guys got, here's the note I sent them with the goodies:

CONGRATULATIONS ON WINNING A PRIZE IN THE GRAND WAZOO’S CHRISTMAS CAPTION COMPETITION!!

As I said, the prize would be turntable related and almost worthless!!

So, in order to reward your undoubted skill and judgement, I’ve picked out for you some of the highest quality (& lowest value) items on the market today for discerning the turntablista such as yourself!!

YOU WILL NO DOUBT ALREADY HAVE FOUND A SMALL BAG, on which is written the word ‘TOYS’.
Don’t let this fool you (don’t forget that the DNM tonearm was called YOTA. I’m sure you know that their cartridges were just Goldring cartridges with their names spelt backwards eg Eroica/Aciora – which means the arm was also A TOY).
Contained within this small packet of joy, however, is not a toy – or a tonearm. This is, in fact, one of the best stylus cleaners that money can buy!! (In truth, they’re so cheap that you hardly need money to buy them!).
THIS IS THE STICKY HAND!!!!
It is functionally identical to the Zerodust stylus cleaner, which currently retails at US$70 (I couldn’t find a current UK price, but the last time I looked, it was ~ £30).
IT COST ME UNDER 20 PENCE – INC. POSTAGE FROM THE USA!!!

Keep it in an airtight container, so it doesn’t dry out or collect non-hi-fi dust & it’ll last you for years.
What I do is I cut it up into smaller pieces & stick one piece to a coin – it’s pretty sticky (as suggested by the name) so you don’t need glue. Put the other pieces somewhere safe & airtight too.

To use it, just place it on the platter & lower the stylus into the gel & then raise it again, repeat as necessary.

- It really is as good as the $70 version.
- If you don’t have a turntable, then now is the time to buy one!!
- If you don’t want to buy a TT then you can use the sticky hand to grab stuff from table tops or stick to peoples foreheads by stretching it & letting go like a catapult! (Don’t play with it if you’re going to clean your stylus, as it picks up dirt like you wouldn’t believe).

THE OTHER ITEM in the envelope is another of the best stylus cleaners on the market. £3 for over 600 times the amount I’ve sent you. Again, this piece will last you for years.
THIS IS THE MAGIC ERASER!!!

However, it must be used with extreme care, as there have been expensive accidents with this. Only use it with the lift/lower device on your arm. You must never do it by hand.

The reason for this is that the material is not what it appears to be (normal foam) but is made from Melamime. It has millions of tiny, microscopic barbs that will clean your stylus with ruthless efficiency. The stylus must leave the foam at the same angle as it enters it. A sideways movement can grip the stylus so efficiently that it removes it from the cantilever!! As I said, only use the lift/lower. I use it happily on my Koetsu Black & have never had a problem in several years.

Again, take a 2p piece and stick it on – this time, with a tiny blob of superglue. You don’t need any of the liquids you may use with a carbon fibre brush. Use it as I described for the Sticky Hand.
I tend only to need this for the odd fine hair, or really stubborn lump of gunk.
I have an Audio Technica electronic stylus cleaner, which went missing when we moved house. So I explored other methods & this combination is what I came up with. I found my AT just the other day, but I will still be using these cleaners as well.

What would be great would be if you could have a go & post your findings on the Art of Sound for others to read. I’ll understand if you don’t want to try the Magic Eraser!!

Enjoy!! All the best.
Chris

The Grand Wazoo
31-01-2009, 00:55
SO....................... HOW DID YOU ALL GET ON WITH YOUR PRICELESS(BUT ALMOST VALUELESS) PRIZES???????

Please report back.

If you think they are as good as I do, then pray tell, & you could be doing your fellow Art of Sounders a serious favour (or at least those who have turntables).

Here's the deal................I want each winner to put up their thoughts on these items - and if you I have used them, you will know how good they are compared to the 'approved' (read expensive) methods.

If you all do that, then I will supply 1 more set for the person who gives me the best reason that they should get them - and they must promise to post their thoughts once they've tried them.

Come on now folks, in the true spirit of fighting the crunchy credit we can all work together & help one more hapless owner of a mucky stylus.

...........after that you lot are on yer own.
Cheers

Chris

Primalsea
31-01-2009, 09:16
Hi Grand Wazoo,

It would seem I only got the sticky hand. As the package was semt to my work there's a chance the guy who opens the post lost it. He swares blind he didn't see anything else though. However it wouldn't be the first time he's missed something.

The hand is great it really gets the crap of the stylus. I was a bit alarmed to come home one day and find that the kids were playing with it. Luckyly they didn't get it dirty!

When I get into Cambridge next I will go to a homeware store to seek out a Magic Eraser and see how that works out. This I'm really interested in as it may be possible to polish stracthes out of records with it. A while ago I bought a record from Ebay which was in good condition except for 1 stratch that caused the stylus to jump out of the groove. Having nothing to loose I used a needle to effectively force a clear channel through the groove. This actually worked :). The stylus stopped jumping from the groove and hardly a click or pop was noticable.

I wonder if the magic eraser could be used to smooth it out even more??

The Grand Wazoo
31-01-2009, 11:53
Hi Grand Wazoo,

It would seem I only got the sticky hand. As the package was semt to my work there's a chance the guy who opens the post lost it. He swares blind he didn't see anything else though. However it wouldn't be the first time he's missed something.

The hand is great it really gets the crap of the stylus. I was a bit alarmed to come home one day and find that the kids were playing with it. Luckyly they didn't get it dirty!

When I get into Cambridge next I will go to a homeware store to seek out a Magic Eraser and see how that works out. This I'm really interested in as it may be possible to polish stracthes out of records with it. A while ago I bought a record from Ebay which was in good condition except for 1 stratch that caused the stylus to jump out of the groove. Having nothing to loose I used a needle to effectively force a clear channel through the groove. This actually worked :). The stylus stopped jumping from the groove and hardly a click or pop was noticable.

I wonder if the magic eraser could be used to smooth it out even more??

Whoah, steady there!!! - I'd be highly sceptical about using the ME on a record - despite it looking just like a normal piece of foam it's incredibly aggresive. It's likely to scour the hell out of the groovey wiggleyness of your vinyl!! I've actually used it to artificially age wood on diy projects - it digs into the soft wood fibres to raise the grain just as effectively as wire wool!

With respect to it going AWOL in the envelope, this is a bit strange because I thought I stapled a piece of ME to the top right hand corner of the note I attached. It is white, so I suppose it would be possible to miss it. alternatively, I may just have left yours out. Either way, I'll send you a new bit.

Cheers

Chris

Primalsea
31-01-2009, 21:28
Its not for the feint hearted but if you've nothing to loose (the records unplayable anyway).............................

No need to worry about sending another one I will get one when I see it next. Thanks for the offer anyway.