PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic energy AE1

muffinman
27-12-2008, 17:27
my local white goods store is shifting a lot of hifi/av gear
one of the bargains i noticed was a set of these in black - £500
fwiw i picked up a pioneer vsx-50lx (788 on amazon) for £350:)
serious, serious bargains to be had
oh, btw - its 'hughes electrical'. the website states most things as out of stock. this is untrue

DSJR
27-12-2008, 21:52
AE109's are ten years or more out of date and not worth £100, let alone £500. The treble steps down by 5db over 1KHz and this is VERY audible. i suspect there's a good speaker trying to get out, but the dreadful response problem will need to be attended to first. I suspect it was balanced this way so it would be sold with the awful harsh WTF 5 star amps of the period (PM66 KI Sig was one).....

Apart from a few staff in Cambridge and a handful spread over their other stores, I don't think you'll find anyone there who knows anything about decent audio, let alone anything remotely HiFi.. I'm not criticising them as a white goods dealer though, as they seem quite up to it and our local branch has the same staff who were there nine years ago, so they're hopefully a fair employer too.

muffinman
27-12-2008, 22:19
AE109's are ten years or more out of date and not worth £100, let alone £500.
I don't think you'll find anyone there who knows anything about decent audio, let alone anything remotely HiFi.

most reviews i've read on the Ae1 have been favourable. not sure about the 109s though.
every shop has clowns, i've always managed to find someone with a passing, if not genuine interest in hifi.
they stock some very good gear (for a white goods store) and, bad staff or not, i thought i'd let some other members know that there may be a deal to be had

John
28-12-2008, 07:00
ahh the 109s my very first speakers needless to say I did not keep them for too long.
Looking back I used to make some bad speaker choices

Ali Tait
29-12-2008, 14:30
I believe he's taking about AE1's not 109's,a completely different speaker.109 is a floorstander.