PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 13.03.2012 - Pale Saints 'The Comforts Of Madness'

Beechwoods
13-03-2012, 20:12
My contribution to this week's Album Club is my second-favourite album ever. By a band you may have never heard of. And if you have, you may not have thought much of them. Think again.

'The Comforts Of Madness' was released in 1989 and was the first album released by Leeds band Pale Saints. At the time, they were lazily lumped in with other acts on their record label, 4AD, labelled as 'shoegazers' and pigeonholed alongside My Bloody Valentine and Chapterhouse.

I got into the Pale Saints off the back of their SNUB-TV appearance in early 1989. I taped that at the time, onto trusty Betamax, and transferred the audio to cassette, which got a lot of play. Some time later a friend taped me a copy of The Comforts of Madness and I was hooked. Compared with all the other 'shoegazing' bands of the time, this was complex, multi-layered stuff, odd tempo changes; pop moments colliding with avantgarde and truly scary interludes!

This album has melodies, and I think its this which has allowed it to stand the test of time.

Production-wise, the album is maybe a bit thin. It's from the years before the loudness wars and it wasn't mastered to peak terribly high either. And it had some very odd dynamic peaks. But musically it is one of my all-time faves ever.

Some years after I first heard the album I upgraded my tape (which had Sofahead on the other side, funnily enough) to CD and I still have that CD now. I also sought out their early singles, a flexi they did for a fanzine with one of their demos on, and an odd German LP which had another of their early demos on. I must be a big fan. I realised that for me it was the early Pale Saints that fascinated me - the band with Ian Masters. Ian left part way through the recording of their second LP. The second LP seemed to be missing all the oddness of the first. He took his inspiration to subsequent projects like ESP Summer and Spoonfed Hybrid. His oddball take on indiepop is clearly evident on his later material. I especially like the way he injects random noise into otherwise pastoral tunes, in an almost random fashion

I also own an original Pale Saints t-shirt, which I bought as used from the band's second live guitarist. I never got to see Pale Saints live but my t-shirt has :)

Pale Saints were a fab band who burned brightly for a few years, but still command a small and loyal following 20+ years later.

Spotify link: http://open.spotify.com/album/0nIWyOR3JgBnVsJgKQxyWt

RyD9V34AApc ih4cfDd13qY
Ro05_Ojf7F0 cbr-7D7gx9U

John
13-03-2012, 20:39
I actually quiye like what I am hearing good review
A pity about the production but thats my only negative so far
Good choice

Beechwoods
13-03-2012, 20:59
It was actually produced in two separate parts by two different people, John Fryer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fryer_(music)) and Gil Norton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Norton). One of the producers had worked with The Wedding Present and I can hear aspects of that production style in this. The deficiencies of the production aren't really apparent on Spotify, but the CD, LP and cassette frustrate me :)

I'm glad you're enjoying it John. It's an album that rewards a listen through as a whole.

The Grand Wazoo
13-03-2012, 21:02
Blimey, I've not heard this for years!!
Class A #1 left-field Beechynoise.

I never got myself a copy after I lost my cassette though. We'll have to sort that out. Spotify for now though!

Beechwoods
13-03-2012, 21:06
I thought it would be something you'd know Chris, after your Boo Radleys LP from a few months ago. Wish I'd seen them live. I've a fair few live tapes now, but it's not the same :) Did you get to see 'em?

Bazil
13-03-2012, 22:17
Who?What?Where?How?When?

Beechwoods
13-03-2012, 22:29
Eh?!

Bazil
13-03-2012, 22:36
Eh?!

Sorry , my way of saying "don't know this one" :D

Tim
13-03-2012, 22:42
Well here's a band totally new to me, never even heard of them :scratch: so for that alone I'm intrigued.

First couple of bars I thought hmmm, but now it's going it's great, 'You Tear the World in Two' is fantastic, great bass line which reminds me a lot of Hooky (Peter Hook). There's lots in here for sure, 'Sea of Sound' could be Fleet Foxes and it makes me wonder how many musicians have this in their collection, as I can detect a lot of possible musical influence here? Considering it's from 89 it really sounds fresh and not out of place at all 23 years on. Shame I missed this then as it's something I would have surely liked in 1989.

I'm going to enjoy this :)

The Grand Wazoo
13-03-2012, 22:50
Did you get to see 'em?

No, not at all. My only knowledge of them is this album & 'Barging Into the Presence of God' (an EP) which were on a C90 recorded for me by a mate. The remainder of the tape had something by Pickettywitch on it - chalk & cheese or what?!!

Bazil
14-03-2012, 19:24
Very listenable, I'm going to play it a couple more times before I vote.

Beechwoods
14-03-2012, 22:38
Thanks Barry. Every vote counts, especially when an album is so obviously going down a storm (like this one! :rolleyes:).

Audioman
15-03-2012, 10:56
Based on first 4 tracks only one I find listenable. Awfull production masks any musical merit. No wonder they remain obscure. Must admit the Madchester influenced indie rock of this period is generaly not to my taste. Verdict reserved but it won't be a high mark.

Listening to last track now. Some tracks sound better than others and second half improves a bit. Unfortunately the production is all part of the musical style and cannot be ignored. Not something I want to listen to again or purchase. I think it merits 3/10 ' Begone baggy jumper and floppy fringe'

Tim
15-03-2012, 13:47
Well I have listened to this twice and rather like it, reminds me a lot of my 80's fun days :) I looked on Amazon as I wanted to buy it, but it's OOP and around 20 quid, so a bit rich for my blood.

I will however give it a 7/10 and I will play it again for sure - many thanks for the intro Nick.

keiths
15-03-2012, 17:40
Not really my cup of tea. I've only listened to it over headphones off Spotify (my main Linux music PC doesn't 'do' Spotify in it's current configuration) on my work PC. I don't know if the sound/production is as poor on the CD, but I found it fairly unpleasant to listen to.

Not truely dreadful, but a disappointment after the last few weeks excellent (for me) albums. 3/10.

Beechwoods
15-03-2012, 17:43
Well I have listened to this twice and rather like it, reminds me a lot of my 80's fun days :) I looked on Amazon as I wanted to buy it, but it's OOP and around 20 quid, so a bit rich for my blood.

I will however give it a 7/10 and I will play it again for sure - many thanks for the intro Nick.

Thanks Tim, I'm glad you liked it! You should be able to pick up the CD for less than a tenner on eBay.

Based on first 4 tracks only one I find listenable. Awfull production masks any musical merit. No wonder they remain obscure. Must admit the Madchester influenced indie rock of this period is generaly not to my taste.

Shocked at the Madchester link Paul. There's no way Pale Saints are at all baggy, and there's a lot more to this album than just feelgood tunes. Each to their own I guess!

griffo104
16-03-2012, 09:57
well I well remember this from back in the day. Around 89 I was really starting to get in to indie music and 4AD was a label of choice. I wasn't that keen on this at the time preferring the more Loop type of indie band, and also a lot of stuff on Beggars Banquet as well, rather than this style but listening to it again now it seems to appeal far more. Whether that it's taking me back to a happier time and getting slightly nostalgic but I've enjoyed this more than I remember all those years ago.

It would have gotten a 7 but I still think MBV are a better band so if you hadn't mentioned them it would have :doh:, so it got a downgraded 6

As for the production, I don't care at all, if I judged the musical content based on production I could throw half my albums away - especially from around this period :D

Tim
16-03-2012, 12:18
As for the production, I don't care at all, if I judged the musical content based on production I could throw half my albums away - especially from around this period
Very valid point there Simon - too many folk these days seem to forget to listen to the music and what the band are actually playing IMO :doh:

Beechwoods
16-03-2012, 16:47
There is loads of great great music let down by poor production. Compared with some albums I rate highly for enjoyment but having bad sound, this one sounds quite good!

keiths
16-03-2012, 16:55
There is loads of great great music let down by poor production.

I agree that the production and sound-quality are secondary to the music, however, if you don't like the music too much to start with...

Welder
16-03-2012, 23:08
Nope, just don't get this. It isn't that it is particularly dire, it's just sort of wet and Emoish.
I can listen to it, but at some point I end up wondering why when there is so much better out there.

Bazil
17-03-2012, 18:51
I like this album, must say I hate how it starts btw.
Its all very listenable with some very good tracks, I'm only listening on Spotify and I'm sure I'll get more out of it if I buy a copy.
I'll give it 7/10.

Canetoad
18-03-2012, 11:56
They sound like a cross between The Stone Roses and U2. Hardly original.

Doesn't do much for me.

aquapiranha
19-03-2012, 18:32
A cursory listen suggests I need to listen a bit more... I will get back on this as is sounds good so far. Thanks.

The Grand Wazoo
19-03-2012, 19:18
I gave it an 8 but I meant to give it a 9!
I've been re-acquainting myself with this having not heard it for year and years. Like so much music, it brought memories flooding back as it does well to represent certain events for me.
Consequently, I've been playing it a lot over the last week. It never struck me before, but when the guitar playing gets going and away from the jangly, it seems quite obviously influenced by Joey Santiago from the Pixies.

Anyway, thanks a heap, Nick for reminding me of this.

Beechwoods
19-03-2012, 20:54
Thanks Chris :) It's obviously an album that polarises people, and I must admit I'm at a loss to understand some of the comparisons that have been made :) It's funny how different people's perception of the same piece of music can be.

Reid Malenfant
19-03-2012, 21:30
I gave it an 8 but I meant to give it a 9!

You should have the capability of editing it from an 8 to a 9 Chris... I know I certainly did when I was in your position on a totally different forum a few years back.

I'll see about giving this a listen some time this week & add my own views :)

The Grand Wazoo
19-03-2012, 21:48
Yes thanks Mark, I did think about looking for how to edit, but got distracted by something - anyway, 9 it is now!

MartinT
09-11-2012, 15:10
What a good find! Like a few others, I've never heard them or heard of them. It has a 1980s feel to it (I would have set it earlier than 1989) but that makes it stand out in a decade not noted for many musical greats. This has been a good listen and I would add it to my collection if I could find it. 7/10.