PDA

View Full Version : No more fags...

Mike
27-12-2008, 11:04
I've been talking about quitting smoking for ages now, and I've decided that the 1st of January IS IT this time. No more excuses. At all!

Anyone else?

alb
27-12-2008, 11:20
Oh, go on then.
I stopped for a few days prior to Christmas, when i had some sort of virus.
So i reckon i can do it.

Clive
27-12-2008, 11:41
I hope there aren't too many US guys reading the title!

Mike
27-12-2008, 12:10
Yeah I thought of that, but thought it might prove 'interesting'. ;)

I can change the title if need be...

Primalsea
27-12-2008, 12:34
No, just worry about it so much that you have to reach for the sticks of death to calm yourself down.

alb
27-12-2008, 13:04
I can change the tittle if need be...

Yeah, you could change the "tittle":lol:, but i don't see why you can be expected to make allowance for every bit of slang language on the planet.

Beechwoods
27-12-2008, 13:33
Well I smoked for 14 years... roll-ups mostly. Gave up 3½ years ago. Don't miss it at all. None of the 'cures' or patches work. You just grit your teeth and go cold turkey. And you have to do it for yourself and no-one else. Good luck Mike! You can definitely do it if I could :)

Marco
27-12-2008, 13:48
It's a filthy and disgusting habit, Mike, so give it up.

There are no plus sides to smoking whatsoever and society is becoming more and more intolerant of it (a very good thing!). It'd ban it outright if I had my way. You'll be healthier and wealthier, too: a win-win scenario in anyone's book.

Spend the money you save on something really nice instead and you'll never look back :)

Marco.

Mike
27-12-2008, 14:02
"tittle":lol:,

Doh! :doh:

A tittle is a small distinguishing mark, such as a diacritic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacritic) or the dot on a lowercase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowercase) i or j. The tittle is an integral part of the glyph (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyph) of i and j, but diacritic dots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_(diacritic)) can appear over other letters in various languages. The tittle of i or j is omitted when a diacritic is placed in the tittle's usual position (as í (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%8D) or ĵ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%B4)), but not when the diacritic is elsewhere (as į (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%AE), ɉ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C9%89)), and traditionally not in Vietnamese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_language).

Mike
27-12-2008, 14:04
It's a filthy and disgusting habit, Mike, so give it up.

I'm going to... hence the thread ya big eejit! :ner:

Marco
27-12-2008, 14:16
LOL. Indeed. I was just encouraging you!

I'll even throw in an incentive for you - if you've managed to give up by the time I visit in the New Year I'll give you a bottle of your chosen malt (any one!) as a reward :)

I'll do anything to get people to stop smoking. We need to rid society of this awful social disease.

Marco.

Mike
27-12-2008, 14:21
I'll give you a bottle of your chosen malt (any one!) as a reward :)

:lol:.... Don't be silly. http://www.singlemaltsdirect.com/shop.php?action=full&id=1148

And that's just for starters! :eyebrows:

We could end up with things like: http://www.neatorama.com/2007/09/28/worlds-most-expensive-single-malt-whisky/

Marco
27-12-2008, 14:26
Hehe... Do it and you might just get a surprise! ;)

Marco.

KJM
27-12-2008, 16:05
Good luck Mike,

I did the same NYD 1998. Only problem I went back on them (roll ups) about 18 months ago. Kidded myself I could have one 'now and then'. Doesn't work that way, once a smoker always a smoker. Already made my mind up I'm going to knock it on the head again this NYD but with the proviso that I'll allow myself the odd smoke now and again - but only once I've turned 75!

Best,

Kevin

Mike
27-12-2008, 16:25
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I know how hard it can be, I gave up before on NYD Y2K for about 9 months and then failed for exactly the same reason you mention. I believe you either smoke, or you do not. There is no 'compromise' possible IMHO!

They say the first year is the hardest, so if I get to 1st Jan 2010 without any tabs I might start to claim I've succeeded.

Best of luck to you too. :)

Cheers...

alb
27-12-2008, 16:32
New Years resolutions never work for me, i'm usually not in a fit state to promise anything. So i'm gonna do it before then.

Just got these two packets to finish first.:smoking:

Mike
27-12-2008, 16:40
Yep, I know what you mean Al.

I've got one 50g packet of Golden Virgina, when it's gone thats it.

KJM
27-12-2008, 16:57
Ahh, you're a 'baccy' man as well. What I did find is it's less stressful giving up the 'baccy' as opposed to the 'tailors'. Guess it must be all that other stuff they put into the packeted cigs.
Hightened sense of smell and taste once you've abandoned the weed so you'll be in for a treat on the 'Malts' after a while. Not too much mind you, replacing one addiction with another. ;)

Marco
27-12-2008, 16:57
Best of luck, guys. Hey, if you stay pished out of your heads for long enough you'll be too drunk to remember to have a fag - what a great cure! :glug: :trust:

:lol:

Marco.

Beechwoods
27-12-2008, 17:03
The thing with rollies is that they're so cheap roll for roll that there's no financial incentive, even if you're a pretty big smoker... that's why you've gotta just do it. There's never a 'good' time... :)

Mike
27-12-2008, 17:13
Hightened sense of smell and taste once you've abandoned the weed

Yeah... that means a serious diet is in order too!

Oh bugger, it already is! (he said looking at his bulging gut). :lolsign:

Marco
27-12-2008, 17:27
The only "rollies" I've had were filled with an entirely different substance to tobacco :eyebrows:

But more seriously, roll-up fags are even worse for you than normal cigarettes - seriously repulsive, disgusting things too, which smack of old man syndrome. All you need is a cloth cap and to permanently reek of pish and you're there... :no:

Marco.

Beechwoods
27-12-2008, 17:33
Don't beat around the bush on our account, Marco!

Rollies are tastier, when you're into them, the funny thing is they're more a connoisseurs fag than straights... at least that how I saw it. Straights had no taste or enjoyment as far as I was concerned; dry old filtered things!

Marco
27-12-2008, 17:46
LOL. Sorry, Beechy, - no offence, it's just *SO* totally not my thing. I just find the image of anyone under 60 smoking roll-ups completely, well, you know... ;)

Anyway, let's hope that Mike and Al achieve their goals! :)

Marco.

Mike
27-12-2008, 17:49
I could leave my house and in under three hours yours could be on fire! :mad:

Marco
27-12-2008, 17:51
Strangely enough, we're doing barbecued pork ribs tonight...

Marco.

Beechwoods
27-12-2008, 17:53
You jammy s... me mouth's watering already!

Mike
27-12-2008, 17:57
Strangely enough, we're doing barbecued pork ribs tonight...

Marco.

mmmMMMmmm.... on charcoal?

Or some mickey mouse bbq sauced stuff?

I'm flitting back n' forth from the pc and kitchen wondering whether to put the sirloin's on yet. :)

Beechwoods
27-12-2008, 18:08
I've got a Tescos Steak pie with tomato ketchup to look forward to.

It's warm and staves off the hunger.

PS. You need a laptop or a mobile with internet and a keyboard :)

Mike
27-12-2008, 18:11
Dunno why, but all this banter has put me in a really, REALLY good mood. :)

Weird eh?..... I'm off to crack open a tinny or two. :cool:

Have a nice evening everyone. :eek:

Beechwoods
27-12-2008, 18:13
I'm already there. The kids have been really trying today so the beers came out early. It's still Christmas, nearly, isn't it :)

KJM
27-12-2008, 18:21
Sorry Fellas, one of Mrs M's fabulous beef stews, done in red wine, lots of fresh veggies and some creamed mashed potatoes.

Marco
27-12-2008, 18:45
Sounds fab, chaps :)

Mikey,

I was only kidding about the barbecue ribs (it seemed quite fitting considering your fire comment) - there are ribs involved but we're having some friends round for a dinner party, so the full menu is as follows:

Starter

Fresh asparagus and pea risotto with parmesan and pan fried Serrano ham shavings.

Main Course

Organic (local Welsh) chicken breasts sautéed in Marsala wine with champignons and parsley.

Local outdoor reared roasted bacon ribs marinated in garlic, rosemary, thyme and olive oil served with a red wine, caper and Worcestershire sauce gravy.

Vegtables

Savoy cabbage with lardons, pommes Dauphinoise, baby courgettes, fennel au gratin and baby carrots.

Dessert

Pistachio nut and almond Semifredo served with a fresh raspberry coulis.

And tons of gorgeous booze!

Guests are due to arrive at 7pm so just making the final preparations to the table :)

Much later, chaps!!

Marco.

Mike
27-12-2008, 19:25
Hmmm...

Makes my Sirloin in Whiskey + Pepper sauce look a bit cheap now! :lolsign:

Beechwoods
27-12-2008, 19:51
Makes me hungry :(

anthonyTD
27-12-2008, 20:17
hi mike,
do your best mate, you will definately gain in the long run, that goes for anyone else here thinking of giving up.
infact, i may even offer an incentive, thats how pasionate i am about helping people give up. i smoked from the age of 9 and have lived around smokers all my life,so i know the problems all too well.
anyway, enough of my ramblings, good luck all who try, and i realy hope you succeed.:)
regards,anthony,TD...

Filterlab
29-12-2008, 15:31
I've been talking about quiting smoking for ages now, and I've decided that the 1st of January IS IT this time. No more excuses. At all!

Anyone else?

I gave up on 28th September 2006, I just stopped. I reached the end of my pack of ciggies whilst hurtling down the M11 late one night, instead of pulling in to Birchanger Services I carried on home. Haven't touched one since.

All I can say is I had to want to quit before I could. Mike, if you don't want to quit then you won't be able to, if you do want to quit then it'll be no problem (well, slightly a problem for the first couple of days). :)

Ali Tait
29-12-2008, 19:12
Best of luck Mike! I gave up about 3 months ago now,and have not regretted it.As others have said,you have to do it for yourself,and not for any other reason.I gave up several years ago,and managed 3 years.Got divorced,and the stress of all that started me again.Worst thing I could have done.If you are really determined,you will be surprised how easy it is to stop.At least that's what I found this time round.

greenhomeelectronics
29-12-2008, 19:52
Me and Mrs Me gave up just over 4 years ago. We used to smoke our way through 60 a day between us. We spent more on cigarettes than any other thing - mortgage included. We both had the flu and decided enough was enough so we just stopped. We both really wanted to do it and with each other's support we managed it. I had been smoking for 30 years, if I can do it so can anyone else.
Best of luck with it.
Dave.

alb
30-12-2008, 22:21
Tonights the night for me.
Tomorrow night i'll be at a New Year party, where the majority are non smokers.
I don't drink much throughout the year, but make an exception at new Year.
So come New Years day i'll probably be nursing the mother of all hangovers. Probably won't feel like smoking anyway.
Thats the plan anyway.:)

Marco
30-12-2008, 22:55
Al, we need to reschedule a visit chez-moi with your OBs (since the other one got cancelled), and your fleece is still here to collect, so let me know when you're free :)

Marco.

alb
31-12-2008, 19:29
Yes Marco, that one slipped through the net somehow.
We'll sort something out for after the 5th Jan. Got my daughters 18th birthday to contend with first.

Beechwoods
26-01-2009, 19:25
Are we all still feeling holy?

Mike
26-01-2009, 19:28
Erm... no not really :(

It's been a bit on/off... But I'm determined not to give up giving up! If you see what I mean? :)

Steve Toy
26-01-2009, 19:33
:smoking:

Marco
26-01-2009, 19:49
Hey, Mikey, how would this work as a deterrent... For every fag you have, you go a month without nookie. What would Mrs Homar have to say about that, then? Perhaps: "Quality beats quantity everytime." :lol:

Or? ;)

Marco.

Ali Tait
26-01-2009, 21:30
Stay stong Mike,you'll get there! 4 months for me now.

Jason P
05-02-2009, 20:27
Thought I'd add my tuppence to this. I gave up last January, but I started to give up about a year before...

After numerous attempts to give up over 10 years I tried a new tactic. I started smoking roll ups with a certain tobacco that's not got any chemicals in (as opposed to the majority of stuff you get in the shops) and I found a) I smoked less and b) physical cravings subsided. I stopped taking them to work - no problem - and at the same time started to consciously smoke. By that I mean really thinking about the fag I was having, the whole process, and really looking at my responses. After a few weeks of this fags didn't taste good after the first puff. A few more weeks and I really wasn't enjoying it at all - but by being conscious about it I was well aware of the fact. When it came to the 'right time' to stop (which happened to be in January, not because of a resolution) it was something I was only too happy to ditch. Every now and then I'll fancy a fag, but it's rare. Once in a while I've had one (usually when I've had one too many) and haven't felt any remorse or need to start again either. A year and a bit so far...

Jason

Mike
05-02-2009, 20:46
Good for you sir!

I'm keeping 'shtum' about it all for now.... don't want to tempt fate!

Still struggling, but doing well. I don't like to 'dwell' on it. ;)

Filterlab
05-02-2009, 20:55
If you're doing well then that's good mate. It's bloody hard to give up smoking, something that non-smokers will never appreciate and ex-smokers know all to well. Stick in there mate!